Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    Obviously Kyle shanahan signed off on trey lance. What kind of idiot gm wild overrule a coach with shanahans offensive accumen.

I don’t think it’s whether Kyle signed off on Trey lance or not, it the lead up the draft that was ridiculous. Btw nerd Kerryon Johnson signed by the birds ? Can’t hurt I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nerd69 wrote:
    Obviously Kyle shanahan signed off on trey lance. What kind of idiot gm wild overrule a coach with shanahans offensive accumen.
    Nobody said he didn't sign off on it. The rumours were that he wanted Mac Jones and that Lynch and his personnel team wanted Lance. Obviously if that was the case they came together and agreed on Lance a couple of days before the draft.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well we'll never know the truth, no matter what happened they were always going to claim that the guy they picked was their guy all along and you have to do that.

I think the truth will come out in due course, may take a few years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

DK Metcalf running in the trials for the 100M US Olympic selection on Sunday.

It's a big long shot - this weekend is like regional/preliminary trials which we'd have to win/place in to get into the actual final trials next month.

But it will answer a few questions in the aftermath of 'that tackle' about just how fast he can go without football boots, pads and helmet slowing him down.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/07/dk-metcalf-olympic-trials-seattle-seahawks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He needs to run a fast time (10.05) in order to qualify for the US Olympic trials.

Steve Magness reckons 10.4 would be more realistic for him and would be a good result.

https://twitter.com/stevemagness/status/1389960964808847366

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

adrian522 wrote: »
    He needs to run a fast time (10.05) in order to qualify for the US Olympic trials.

Steve Magness reckons 10.4 would be more realistic for him and would be a good result.

https://twitter.com/stevemagness/status/1389960964808847366

“That’s not meant as a slight.” Well buckle up Steve because at times what you meant doesn’t matter on the social medja.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That's a load of waffle, he just talks about dream QB's there not about reality or any specifics.
    Like he's looking for a guy who throws like Brees and runs like Jackson, lol.

Kyle's own words are 'waffle' but you believe what was reported by a talking head who was proven to be completely wrong about the 49ers over and over :rolleyes:

I'd get your point on it being unclear if his ideal QB was closer to Lance or Fields but the other QB in question here is Jones. When you're investing 3 first round picks and a day 2 pick into a QB you want someone that is or could become close to your ideal QB and Jones is and never will be that player that Shanahan has repeatedly described.

You're free to believe whatever gossip that makes you feel good about Jones but this one simply makes no sense - there is basically no evidence that Jones was Kyle's guy aside from that self-perpetuating media hype:
    - 49ers didn't speak to Jones' private QB coach, who he had since before college
    - 49ers didn't ask Jones to train with John Beck, Kyle's friend and go to offseason QB coach (Wilson and Fields were training with him already and Lance was asked to go out to him during the draft process)
    - 49ers didn't ask Jones to incorporate anything into his pro day (unlike Fields and Lance)
    - 49ers didn't speak to Saban about Jones
    - Jones doesn't meet Kyle's own words about what he wants in an ideal QB
    - Kyle has been talking up an offense making things '11 on 11' for years and that is something Jones can't do
    - Kyle was interested in Josh Allen in 2017 before he decided to stay in college - that is Lance, not Jones
    - Beyond his physical limitations, Jones is less ready and has shown less in staples of Kyle's system than the others - basically never played under center, rarely used boot action, hasn't played often with a FB
    - 49ers have been very focused on high character players, Jones does not fit this
    - 49ers have rarely leaked big decisions yet we have to believe the Jones pick 'leaked' minutes after the trade
    - Not one person within the 49ers organization has said they knew the pick in advance, aside from the owners and only in the days before. Aside from this all other reporting is that not even the coordinators knew early on the day of the draft.

The weirdest reach of the whole story is that you have to believe that Kyle has such a wildly different assessment of Jones than basically every evaluator and front office. Despite all of the evidence above, you must believe Kyle traded all those picks up for Jones at 3 when no team ended up picking him until 15 and even then the Patriots had a guard ranked ahead of him before the Jets jumped them (if we're now trusting the credibility of every unsubstantiated report ;)). QB needy teams let him go by them again and again, Patriots didn't move up for him, and no other team jumped the Patriots, the obviously landing spot for him. It just isn't credible.

As has been mentioned, we might learn 'the truth' down the line but until that point I'll take what practically every piece of evidence points to than a fantasy like story from a reporter who got everything wrong about the 49ers during the draft cycle.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    “That’s not meant as a slight.” Well buckle up Steve because at times what you meant doesn’t matter on the social medja.

10.36, came 9th in his heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

adrian522 wrote: »
    10.36, came 9th in his heat.

Aka, last

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Its still fairly lightning fast for a lad of his size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Guffy wrote: »
    Aka, last

That's an edgy take

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The absolute unit that he is compared to the rest...

https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1391481571673317379

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Not hard to spot the pro football player in that line up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

That's an edgy take

Is it?

Foxtrol wrote:
    Kyle's own words are 'waffle' but you believe what was reported by a talking head who was proven to be completely wrong about the 49ers over and over
    Kyle didn't explain what type of QB he wanted, he just talked about what you'd dream about.
    It also seemed to me from his comment about running QB's be oming better passers that he likes passers over guys who can run.
    Which 'talking head' are you referring to?
    Foxtrol wrote:
    I'd get your point on it being unclear if his ideal QB was closer to Lance or Fields but the other QB in question here is Jones. When you're investing 3 first round picks and a day 2 pick into a QB you want someone that is or could become close to your ideal QB and Jones is and never will be that player that Shanahan has repeatedly described.
    Again he never described anything outside the ridiculous comment about a guy who throws like Be Rees and runs like Jackson.
    The rest of your post, which I didn't quote, is biased waffle.

And again, these guys have sources. Some will have sources close to Kyle, others will have sources close to Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

This is pretty cool for anyone who has even a passing interest in trading cards, or NFL memorabilia.

These guys do box breaks, which for those unfamiliar with it, is basically a group of people splitting the cost of an unopened box of trading cards and taking a set number of cards each. The order is decided before the break, and they stream the opening live. So if you're 2nd on the list, you get the 2nd card opened etc. Total pot luck - you might strike it lucky, you might hit a dud, or you might just break even.

This was a particularly high end box full or rare cards and signed cards, with 32 people putting in around $190 each for a total of $6000.

Anyway, you can watch the whole thing, or skip to 7:25 to see someone get a one of a kind, diamond encrusted, signed Brady SB XXXVIII MVP card that has a conservative estimated value of $250k. Not a bad card to get!

Still a bit shy of the $1.7 million a Brady rookie card went for at auction recently, but I think they'll be happy all the same.

Guffy wrote: »
    Is it?

Well technically he came 15th out of 17 across the two heats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Athletic has a good article today on Justin Fields and the Bears. It has a great description of having Andy Dalton as your team's QB, that reminded me of the debate about him in this thread:
    Starting Dalton under center is like having a pair of twos in a Texas Hold ’Em — they might look good on the first turn, but they’re never good enough to substantially bet or possibly win the hand. You need better cards.

https://theathletic.com/2577328/2021/05/10/lombardi-matt-nagy-needs-to-take-a-leap-of-faith-and-start-justin-fields-from-day-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Kyle didn't explain what type of QB he wanted, he just talked about what you'd dream about.
    It also seemed to me from his comment about running QB's be oming better passers that he likes passers over guys who can run.

Kyle has been clear that he would prefer a pure passing QB over a pure running QB but that his ideal is a QB who can potentially do both at a high level - that isn't Jones, who it is very unclear whether he can even be a high level in the former and he has zero chance of the latter.
    Which 'talking head' are you referring to?

Michael Lombardi, the guy who quoted unnamed sources in the report you're clinging to - the same guy who's sources got everything else wrong about the 49ers during the draft.
    Again he never described anything outside the ridiculous comment about a guy who throws like Be Rees and runs like Jackson.

Did you only watch one of the clips I shared? In the other, posted again below, Kyle the day after the trade was made specifically pushes back that Kirk Cousins being his ideal type of QB - to most Cousins as being Jones' ceiling.

https://twitter.com/eric_crocker/status/1376628536207888390?s=20
    The rest of your post, which I didn't quote, is biased waffle.

I posted words out of the mouth of Shanahan, words directly out of the mouth of John Beck, words directly out of the mouth of Nick Saban, official game stats for Jones, historic evidence of lack of leaks within the 49ers, and how far Jones actually fell in the draft.

Just because you don't like facts it doesn't make them biased.
    And again, these guys have sources. Some will have sources close to Kyle, others will have sources close to Lynch.

Sure they have sources but Lombardi's sources were wrong about the 49ers all draft cycle. I have no problem believing guys with sources when they have a history of being credible with a team and/or when they align with other evidence out there. I don't think anyone here is interested in us going around in circles any further on this, I have laid all the reasons why this report makes no sense and you're sticking to the words of a guy who has no credibility regarding his draft reporting on the 49ers. This is like discussing whether the tooth fairy is real with someone who keeps responding 'I trust my friend's source'.

I don't remember you being so trusting of unnamed sources when it came to the many reports of conflict within your team, I am interested to see how long this new found trust of media reporting lasts...

Yeah no use going around in circles but you are wrong about Mac Jones and wrong about Kyle Trask.
    And Lombardi for me is one of the most trustworthy reporters and pretty down to earth about things with a good knowledge of the game.

Obviously you are wearing the 49ers goggles and nobody is even criticizing them.

Also you mention reports about Patriots stuff, there is sfa reports about Patriots players. I just ignore most of it anyways. I certainly don't do Twitter or Facebook, anybody following that stuff is pretty naive.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote:
    The Athletic has a good article today on Justin Fields and the Bears. It has a great description of having Andy Dalton as your team's QB, that reminded me of the debate about him in this thread:
    That report is a perfect example of why I cut my sub for the Athletic, just clueless, populist crap.

And Lombardi for me is one of the most trustworthy reporters and pretty down to earth about things with a good knowledge of the game.
    That report is a perfect example of why I cut my sub for the Athletic, just clueless, populist crap.

Trustworthy, down to earth, clueless and writes populist crap. Michael Lombardi responsible for both of the above.

Thats interesting given its a subscribers only article. So either you didn't read it and are just claiming you did, or you still have a subscription and are lying about that. Which I wonder?

Blut2 wrote:
    Thats interesting given its a subscribers only article. So either you didn't read it and are just claiming you did, or you still have a subscription and are lying about that. Which I wonder?
    I seen what was quoted and it's enough for me.

adrian522 wrote:
    Trustworthy, down to earth, clueless and writes populist crap. Michael Lombardi responsible for both of the above.
    Lombardi isn't afraid to castigate people like a Superbowl winning coach or an organisation blaming coaching when the problem is higher up the chain than coaching in his opinion. It's hardly populist to criticise a Superbowl winning coach that's not Bill Belichick.

He also wrote the article mentioned above that you find so objectionable in the Athletic.

I seen what was quoted and it's enough for me.

But you said "That report is a perfect example of why I cut my sub for the Athletic, just clueless, populist crap. "

Surely if your detailed review was only of that one sentence I quoted, you'd have said "That quote" rather than "that report", no? How could you comment on the report being "clueless, populist crap" if you didn't even read it?

Like adrian522 I'd also love to know which of trustworthy, down to earth, clueless and writes populist crap Michael Lombardi is, since you're claiming hes all of the above...

Blut2 wrote:
    But you said "That report is a perfect example of why I cut my sub for the Athletic, just clueless, populist crap. "

Surely if your detailed review was only of that one sentence I quoted, you'd have said "That quote" rather than "that report", no? How could you comment on the report being "clueless, populist crap" if you didn't even read it?
    The quoted bit was enough for me to make up my mind as I've read loads like it before.
    Blut2 wrote:
    Like adrian522 I'd also love to know which of trustworthy, down to earth, clueless and writes populist crap Michael Lombardi is, since you're claiming hes all of the above...
    I'm shocked to hear Lombardi wrote something like that.
    Looks like he has fallen off the pedestal I had him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭nerd69

Yera eagle eye doesn't really go into conversations with an open mind he likes to tell people who it is not really worth the comments tbh as his mind is set

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote:
    Yera eagle eye doesn't really go into conversations with an open mind he likes to tell people who it is not really worth the comments tbh as his mind is set
    My mind is so set I've just changed it as regards Michael Lombardi. Are you unable to read?

Advertisement