Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I think he means the final roster, and not the 90 at the start of training camp.

But I think he will make it given its Meyer's decision.

I kinda knew that, I was only being a smart arse, its a ridiculous signing as far as I can see, this man seems to be still assessed by his college career, he could be a disaster as an nfl tight end. Jacksonville draft Trevor Lawrence and sign Tebow for him to throw to. It looks crazy, a 33 year old with 0 lifetime catches who never played the position, and as I said in an earlier post, he has 1 career target, and it hit him in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Maybe he's being looked at more as a FB than pass catching TE. His physicality would lend itself to that. Taysom Hill basically had the career he should've had, albeit Hill is a much better passer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maybe he's being looked at more as a FB than pass catching TE. His physicality would lend itself to that. Taysom Hill basically had the career he should've had, albeit Hill is a much better passer.
    Hill is a better passer? Since when?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Since always. Tebow is a terrible passer and while Hill isn't great he's shown a lot more as a passer than Tebow ever did in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

eagle eye wrote: »
    Hill is a better passer? Since when?

Than Tebow? Benny Hill would throw a better spiral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Taysom Hill is the exact goal for Tebow you'd imagine. If Hill managed to make the transition from sub-par QB with an unusual age/career profile to athletic gadget/utility back theres no glaring reason Tebow can't do the exact same.

Its not great odds mind you, but its a reasonable punt given his cheap cost, pre-existing experience with the coaching team and very marketable local connections.

adrian522 wrote:
    Since always. Tebow is a terrible passer and while Hill isn't great he's shown a lot more as a passer than Tebow ever did in the NFL.
    Lol, Hill is a terrible passer. He's actually very like Tebow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oh, so they are very alike now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

adrian522 wrote: »

Hell change his mind just so he can continue to argue with you but if you keep disagreeing your a bully and everyone else is a bully and he hates bully's or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Blut2 wrote: »
    Taysom Hill is the exact goal for Tebow you'd imagine. If Hill managed to make the transition from sub-par QB with an unusual age/career profile to athletic gadget/utility back theres no glaring reason Tebow can't do the exact same.

Its not great odds mind you, but its a reasonable punt given his cheap cost, pre-existing experience with the coaching team and very marketable local connections.

Tebow being 34 at the start of the season after being out of the game for several years seems like a glaring reason. Hill transitioning to that utility role in game shape quite soon out of college is a completely different situation.

Your post makes it appear like this is a low risk high reward move which completely ignores potential team morale impact of a guy being handed a place on the team and the massive distraction Tebow is already and will continue to be. Distraction was rolled out over and over as justification for teams not to sign Kaepernick.

I was very skeptical about the Meyer appointment and everything he has done so far has lead me to be even more skeptical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

To be fair I may have phrased that badly. I don't disagree that its very unlikely to work out - I wouldn't give it more than 5% odds of him pulling it off.

But I just don't buy the massive downside to it. Tebow isn't Antonio Brown, hes by all accounts that I've seen a very good influence in camp. So I can't see him destroying team morale. And they can always cut him before the season kicks off, so he doesn't take up a valuable squad position. And they'll have generated a load of buzz, and apparently a huge amount of merchandise sales, and given something odd a chance before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nfl network is reporting that Aaron Rodgers is expected to speak publicly tonight. They didn’t say where though. He hasn’t attended the packers OTAs which isn’t a big shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Nfl network is reporting that Aaron Rodgers is expected to speak publicly tonight. They didn’t say where though. He hasn’t attended the packers OTAs which isn’t a big shock.

Oh my my

Blut2 wrote: »
    To be fair I may have phrased that badly. I don't disagree that its very unlikely to work out - I wouldn't give it more than 5% odds of him pulling it off.

But I just don't buy the massive downside to it. Tebow isn't Antonio Brown, hes by all accounts that I've seen a very good influence in camp. So I can't see him destroying team morale. And they can always cut him before the season kicks off, so he doesn't take up a valuable squad position. And they'll have generated a load of buzz, and apparently a huge amount of merchandise sales, and given something odd a chance before then.

Aren't all merchandise sales split between all teams? Pretty sure it is treated the same as TV revenue. Sure, he might increase local sponsorship but that is relative pennies.

Agree he isn't AB but he is still a distraction. Players will get frustrated by all the media attention and questions being asked about a guy who wouldn't be near the initial squad if he wasn't mates with the coach and/or had such a 'brand'. Their whole offseason is going to be focused on Tebow and then whether he is or isn't picked. Even if he steps up as a 'leader' as some claim, surely you want that leadership focus to be on your rookie QB, not a guy who is potentially going to be cut. Nearly every top coach speaks about reducing noise from the outside and all they've done is bring a massive amount for a tiny chance of a small reward.

By far the biggest winner out of this is Tebow - he can't lose and will be cashing in even more for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

It could be a shrewd move to keep publicity away from Lawrence for as much as possible whilst he's still getting the hang of things over the summer.

adrian522 wrote:
    Did I say they weren't?

The other great thing Tebow brings is leadership and inspiration. You could see that in Denver with what the players there said about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

Itssoeasy wrote: »

ESPN I doubt his going to say anything only some cryptic clue which leads to a whole pile nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

cosatron wrote: »
    ESPN I doubt his going to say anything only some cryptic clue which leads to a whole pile nothing.

Yeah it’ll be the standard stuff of saying lots of words but actually saying nothing of any note.

Barney92 wrote: »
    It could be a shrewd move to keep publicity away from Lawrence for as much as possible whilst he's still getting the hang of things over the summer.

That idea crossed my mind when it happened but I don't buy it. If Lawrence craps the bed in camp that'll still be the story, if things are going as expected it doesn't help Lawrence to be asked constantly about Tebow.

Again, it goes against everything every top coach I've heard say.
    The other great thing Tebow brings is leadership and inspiration. You could see that in Denver with what the players there said about him.

When Tebow was a starting QB that made sense but now I can't see a shred of logic to this point. Why do you want an at best roster bubble level TE who has never played his position coming in and trying to grab attention and be a 'leader'? What makes it even worse is when you have a rookie QB trying to win over a locker room.

The only thing Tebow 'inspires' is how good it is to have friends in high places (like the racist conditioning coach that Meyer hired earlier in the offseason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

cosatron wrote: »

Is it sports centre tonight? He is supposed to be interviewed for a presenters last ever show. Must be tonight. I'd say he won't say much to be honest.

Also Julio supposedly has said he won't be back at Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That idea crossed my mind when it happened but I don't buy it. If Lawrence craps the bed in camp that'll still be the story, if things are going as expected it doesn't help Lawrence to be asked constantly about Tebow.

Again, it goes against everything every top coach I've heard say.

When Tebow was a starting QB that made sense but now I can't see a shred of logic to this point. Why do you want an at best roster bubble level TE who has never played his position coming in and trying to grab attention and be a 'leader'? What makes it even worse is when you have a rookie QB trying to win over a locker room.

The only thing Tebow 'inspires' is how good it is to have friends in high places (like the racist conditioning coach that Meyer hired earlier in the offseason)

In fairness Tebow hasn't done anything this time around. However some like yourself want nothing more than to talk about him.

You can and should be a leader from any position. Put in the work, bring everything to training. Tebow sounds like a dose but I have never heard anything against his work ethic.

I sincerely doubt Lawrence will be asked about Tebow very much. Reporters should also be able to control what they ask about and be able to ask a sensible question now and then.

As for friends in high places. Yeah, shocker. I am sure Reid's son was involved with Chiefs because of ability. Or half the coaches in the NFL and a few of their favourite project players.

Christy42 wrote: »
    In fairness Tebow hasn't done anything this time around. However some like yourself want nothing more than to talk about him.

Ah, come on now. No one is going after Tebow for no reason. Tebow made the choice to have his face all over the media post his NFL career, leveraging it for media jobs and speaking tours. He has now made the decision to ask a former coach to try out to be a TE. People have full right to scrutinize him.

I'd expect the same if the Jags out of no where signed Kaepernick as a WR - given Baalke has a connection with him.
    You can and should be a leader from any position. Put in the work, bring everything to training. Tebow sounds like a dose but I have never heard anything against his work ethic.

To me that is nonsense. You have to earn the right to be a leader and you don't get it from targeting your old coach and asking him to parachute you on to the team and then trying your best during training. I've seen similar in sport and the workplace and it never ends well - people see straight through it.

Foxtrol wrote:
    So now you are suggesting Tebow is racist or some sort of nonsense like that?
    Why else would you bring up that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He literally said the conditioning coach was racist. Not Tebow. Untwist your knickers.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No, he’s saying that conditioning coach wouldn’t have got a job only for who he knows.

Now Tebow is getting a job because of who he knows.

That’s one giant leap to suggest he was calling Tebow a racist but I’m sure you’ll move the goalposts again to continue to argue a toss instead of putting your hands up and saying you jumped the gun

He literally said the conditioning coach was racist. Not Tebow. Untwist your knickers.

Faugheen wrote:
    No, he’s saying that conditioning coach wouldn’t have got a job only for who he knows.
    He threw it in there, no need for it. Just flinging mud trying to dirty everything up.
    It's a tactic he uses quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Faugheen wrote: »

Now Tebow is getting a job because of who he knows.

That’s one giant leap to suggest he was calling Tebow a racist but I’m sure you’ll move the goalposts again to continue to argue a toss instead of putting your hands up and saying you jumped the gun

Tebow won't make the roster, teams often take flyers in the off-season Washington signed a tight end that's never played football at any level recently. The only concern surrounding Tebow is the media crap he brings but him getting a shot in an offseason in and of itself is not really indicative of any favoritism

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Ah, come on now. No one is going after Tebow for no reason. Tebow made the choice to have his face all over the media post his NFL career, leveraging it for media jobs and speaking tours. He has now made the decision to ask a former coach to try out to be a TE. People have full right to scrutinize him.

I'd expect the same if the Jags out of no where signed Kaepernick as a WR - given Baalke has a connection with him.

To me that is nonsense. You have to earn the right to be a leader and you don't get it from targeting your old coach and asking him to parachute you on to the team and then trying your best during training. I've seen similar in sport and the workplace and it never ends well - people see straight through it.

I am sure there would be craziness if someone signed Kaep. Doesn't mean it would be justified.

• Advertisement

He threw it in there, no need for it. Just flinging mud trying to dirty everything up.
    It's a tactic he uses quite often.

To read what I posted and to leap to claiming I called Tebow racist shows either a lack of even basic comprehension skills or a continued quest to be constantly offended. Given the fact two posters corrected you and you refuse to accept you were wrong it seems like it is very much the latter.

I 'threw it' in because it is a relevant recent example of Meyer hiring his mates and not considering the downside. All HCs bring in coaches or players they know but rarely do they make these kind of decisions that cause such drama around the team with such small upside. Meyer himself even said afterward the S&C coach left that he 'wasn't worth the distraction' and yet he goes out a few weeks later and seeks out another even bigger distraction.

Advertisement