Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the packers are reported to be signing Blake Bortles. So bortles vs hill if things aren’t sorted out in Green Bay.

That browns vs chiefs game could be tasty provided the browns continue their form from last season. The jets vs panthers is funny.

Bortles vs Winston. Let's see how many pick 6s we can crank out in one game.

Though I do suspect Bortles is to be the back up for Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Christy42 wrote: »
    Bortles vs Winston. Let's see how many pick 6s we can crank out in one game.

Though I do suspect Bortles is to be the back up for Love.

Hopefully.

Aaron, come to Butthead

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What happens to the cap hit for Rodgers if he gets traded now?
    I'd imagine not many teams would be able to cover it if they had to take the full hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd imagine not many teams would be able to cover it if they had to take the full hit.

It gets split June first. That's the time it really will tell if packers are serious about keeping them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

OOnegative wrote: »
    Obviously your thinking Pittsburgh is 1 like myself......

Delusions :D

Worst team in AFC North :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If he is traded post June first the packers take a dead cap hit of $14.3m in 2021 and $17.2m in 2022

The team trading for him would have a cap hit of $22.8m in 2021 and $25.3m in 2022, though presumably a restructure would be on the cards.

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The schedule was released in full last night and the eagles first six games are dog rough. We got the bucs and the Chiefs and niners in that time. The eagles bye week is week 14. After week 6 I see some reason for hope as most if not all of the teams outside the NFC east that we play are the 1927 New York yankees based on last season. Only two non Sunday games(TNF, SNF, MNF) which isn’t a bad thing. ESPN has the eagles winning 11 games but nothing is decided in mid may of an NFL season and I’ve no idea what they’re basing that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Eagles signed Ryan kerrigan. Excelent signing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

nerd69 wrote: »
    Eagles signed Ryan kerrigan. Excelent signing

Delighted with that, constantly getting one or two sacks against us Everytime we play them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

D9Male wrote: »
    If he makes the roster, I will eat my hat.

Would you like salt with that, he signed today, but on a serious note Tebow had 1 pass target in his career, it was a throw from Mark Sanchez that hit him in the face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Would you like salt with that, he signed today, but on a serious note Tebow had 1 pass target in his career, it was a throw from Mark Sanchez that hit him in the face

I think he means the final roster, and not the 90 at the start of training camp.

But I think he will make it given its Meyer's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Simms was losing it on PFT earlier. He really hates Tebow.

Simms was losing it on PFT earlier. He really hates Tebow.

Hate is probably too strong an emotion for Tim tebow, but I feel he’s getting help that others wouldn’t and a chance others wouldn’t be getting. Him being close to Urban Meyer is the reason.

Hate is probably too strong an emotion for Tim tebow, but I feel he’s getting help that others wouldn’t and a chance others wouldn’t be getting. Him being close to Urban Meyer is the reason.

I don't get it. That describes 99% of coaching appointments in the nfl. I doubt Tebow will set the league on fire but let him play, it isn't like there is a glut of star TEs out there.

I agree many would not get the second chance which is unfair but he is hardly the only one to benefit from previous connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

A player has literally shot himself in the leg went to jail and been given a second chance.

Another star player had a dog fighting pit went to jail and got a chance.

Tebows crime is he's Tebow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

And that he's not very good and is not a tight end.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I don't get it. That describes 99% of coaching appointments in the nfl. I doubt Tebow will set the league on fire but let him play, it isn't like there is a glut of star TEs out there.

I agree many would not get the second chance which is unfair but he is hardly the only one to benefit from previous connections.

Most players who get a second chance get that second chance at the position they played at the first time around. Tim tebow is getting a chance at a position, that unless I’ve missed it, has never played before. Hopefully whether he makes the team or not is based solely on his play and not who he is.

A player has literally shot himself in the leg went to jail and been given a second chance.

Another star player had a dog fighting pit went to jail and got a chance.

Tebows crime is he's Tebow

No it not that’s he’s Tim tebow, it’s that he’s never played at TE yet gets singed to a team after five years completely out of the game when he played a different position and being honest on the whole didn’t set the world alight when he played QB.

No it not that’s he’s Tim tebow, it’s that he’s never played at TE yet gets singed to a team after five years completely out of the game when he played a different position and being honest on the whole didn’t set the world alight when he played QB.

He didn't but he was always one of the most ridiculous athletes in the game. Being a ridiculous athlete helps. Getting drafted as a QB to the NFL is hard. Getting drafted without being able to throw the ball is ridiculous.

His main failings as a QB won't be relevant as a TE. Certainly it would be nice to have spent more time learning blocking and running routes but he isn't the only one to have relearned a new position. I don't see why 5 years completely out of the game makes a difference. He kept in shape and is learning a new position in any case.

Plenty of people have been out of the game for a few years. Plenty of people have changed positions. Doing both is a bit ambitious but hardly out of the realms of possibility.

adrian522 wrote:
    And that he's not very good and is not a tight end.

How do you know what he's like as a tight end? I'd suggest Urban Meyer might know a little more about him than you do.

Also the obvious thing here is how many fans he brings in. As far as I can remember the Jags struggled to sell tickets, they'll be sold out if he's involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Let's not pretend Tebow has been sitting on his arse for the last few years, or that he's making some dramatic career change like becoming a Tight End after spending years as an accountant or doctor. It's not out of the realms of possibility that he knows how to play the position, or that he can work hard enough at it to give it a real go.

Most teams have 90 players or thereabouts on their roster currently. That's supposedly the 2,880 best football players in the country already off the market. If Meyer wants to take a flyer on Tebow over some undrafted rookie or some journeyman veteran who can't crack the Top 2,880 list, then I have no problem that.

It probably won't work out, but if it does then Meyer deserves credit for giving him a shot. I don't think Meyer is expecting the second coming of Gronk or Kelce, but if he makes the roster as a TE or H-Back, there could be some very interesting packages in short yardage or goal-to-go downs.

How do you know what he's like as a tight end? I'd suggest Urban Meyer might know a little more about him than you do.

Also the obvious thing here is how many fans he brings in. As far as I can remember the Jags struggled to sell tickets, they'll be sold out if he's involved.

Apparently 5 top selling items today on nflshop are Tim Tebow related.

Honestly I don't get this in either direction. It is a tight end on league minimum. If it works out great, we get a cheap tight end with some interesting packages. If it doesn't who cares, just cut him. However he hasn't been running routes. I have no expectation of him being a hall of fame TE or even top 10. Seems like a good rotation piece. Why anyone hates this massively or loves it massively is beyond me.

Jags get an incredibly strong and fast TE for little money but hardly one that will put up big numbers.

Because he's never played at TE, never blocked, never ran routes, never been a pass catcher. Also no way he makes the roster. Pure PR nonsense to sell jerseys.

No one is going to convince me he is better option than an actual TE who has been practicing his skills all his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

adrian522 wrote: »
    Because he's never played at TE, never blocked, never ran routes, never been a pass catcher. Also no way he makes the roster. Pure PR nonsense to sell jerseys.

No one is going to convince me he is better option than an actual TE who has been practicing his skills all his life.

Sometimes teams take flyers. Washington signed Sammy Reyes who's never played football I think

adrian522 wrote:
    He has blocked many times in college. He did it a few times in the NFL too.
    And as for selling jerseys, it's a business.
    adrian522 wrote:
    You haven't a clue about what he can do though. Urban Meyer worked with him for four years in Florida.

How many TE snaps did he run at Florida?

And yes while I agree he wasn’t sitting on his hole for the past five years, he was trying his hand at baseball and as a fan of both sports, I can’t see many skills transferring between the two.

adrian522 wrote:
    How many TE snaps did he run at Florida?
    I wasn't part of the coaching staff so I couldn't tell you if he did any or not but Urban Meyer knows all about him.

He certainly did block though, many times.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    And yes while I agree he wasn’t sitting on his hole for the past five years, he was trying his hand at baseball and as a fan of both sports, I can’t see many skills transferring between the two.
    So playing outfield and timing a catch wouldn't help you? You don't think playing shortstop would help?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm pretty sure Tim Tebow won't be a starting TE.

Advertisement