Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Richard308 wrote: »
    I’m pro nuclear. Even the Russians Rosatom have decent plants these days

One would hope so after THREE major accidents:eek:[Leningrad, Srvedlosk and Cherynobyl] in the Soviet Union that they finally got it right.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Anyone got between 3to 7 thousand handy to save some Irish history?:(

2018 deactivation Nothing more now than a welded up high-tech and awkward club.:( Worse it is a "Red 9" Mauser that are worth a good bit more than the std broom handles.:mad:

https://bid.whytes.ie/lots/view/1-4J3HJ6/1919-21-war-of-independence-a-mauser-peter-the-painter-pistol?utm_source=Circulator&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Eclectic%20Collector%20Catalogue%20Now%20Online

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

2018 deactivation Nothing more now than a welded up high-tech and awkward club.:( Worse it is a "Red 9" Mauser that are worth a good bit more than the std broom handles.:mad:

https://bid.whytes.ie/lots/view/1-4J3HJ6/1919-21-war-of-independence-a-mauser-peter-the-painter-pistol?utm_source=Circulator&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Eclectic%20Collector%20Catalogue%20Now%20Online

Lovely, it'll wind up in some Irish-American's collectors on the other side of the Atlantic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Richard308 wrote: »
    I’m pro nuclear. Even the Russians Rosatom have decent plants these days. But if he going with the French new reactors. Clean, efficient, proven. Foolproof even by Irish standards. I’m in favour of wind and solar too.
    Electric cars are major polluters with battery manufacturing. Plus no point in them if we are using oil, gas and coal to charge them.

And we will be importing plenty of nuclear via France when that interconnector gets built in Cork - probably a good thing too given Cabbage Head Ryans plan to leave our own grid stuck with a vast amount of useless windfarms

Birdnuts wrote: »
    And we will be importing plenty of nuclear via France when that interconnector gets built in Cork - probably a good thing too given Cabbage Head Ryans plan to leave our own grid stuck with a vast amount of useless windfarms

They want to ban lead shot because it kills birds, but the bird chopper wind turbines can work away. You couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Anyone else following this:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilipDwyerNP/status/1388950006099546124

Not a peep from any news outlets that I could find.

Apparently a chap who filmed the guards raiding a church in Athlone was the victim of a dawn raid by AGS a week later who, acting on a complaint, took him to a garda station for a mental eval and Tusla removed his 2 kids.
    Having been cleared yesterday morning he's trying to get his kids back still and seemingly getting stonewalled by AGS.

Supposedly he was told the complaint came from his mother who evidently has been deceased since 1997.

At least that is what I've gleaned from twitter posts thus far.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

otmmyboy2 wrote: »

Apparently a chap who filmed the guards raiding a church in Athlone was the victim of a dawn raid by AGS a week later who, acting on a complaint, took him to a garda station for a mental eval and Tusla removed his 2 kids.
    Having been cleared yesterday morning he's trying to get his kids back still and seemingly getting stonewalled by AGS.

Supposedly he was told the complaint came from his mother who evidently has been deceased since 1997.

Yeah I heard about that too but there's nothing online about it apart from what the National Party is putting out. There's zero chance that RTÉ will even mention this because it goes against their narrative.

Did anyone else hear about a recent celebration being held in Dublin to honour some Rabbi from the 2nd Century? Apparently it was the biggest gathering all year. Funny how Catholics are banned from mass but Jews and Muslims can throw a party scot free.

Yeah it's really sad to see such historical pieces get butchered. They had a Lee Enfield last year that was a "cock and click" deact so wasn't completely destroyed, but you can clearly see where the barrel was drilled out on the Mauser. It's a real shame we can't collect these firearms without castrating them, even the Brits can!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Yeah it's really sad to see such historical pieces get butchered. They had a Lee Enfield last year that was a "cock and click" deact so wasn't completely destroyed, but you can clearly see where the barrel was drilled out on the Mauser. It's a real shame we can't collect these firearms without castrating them, even the Brits can!

Sadly no longer. Even the British are subject to the EU deactivation standard, and they are starting to register them too.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Something tells me there will be a lot more to the story than what the NP are tweeting. But that won't stop them.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else hear about a recent celebration being held in Dublin to honour some Rabbi from the 2nd Century? Apparently it was the biggest gathering all year. Funny how Catholics are banned from mass but Jews and Muslims can throw a party scot free.

So is there any evidence for this happening, or just rumours saying "Jews and Muslims" get special treatment?

Sadly no longer. Even the British are subject to the EU deactivation standard, and they are starting to register them too.

Ah yes, I was referring to Brits being allowed to license handguns for collecting. I wasn't very clear in my post so apologies. Still, it's a shame we have to destroy such historical pieces.

Ah yes, I was referring to Brits being allowed to license handguns for collecting. I wasn't very clear in my post so apologies. Still, it's a shame we have to destroy such historical pieces.

Comes with all sorts of conditions, you cannot keep it at home, it must be kept at a secure facility, and you can only shoot it under supervision and so many times a year. Better than nothing i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

One would hope so after THREE major accidents:eek:[Leningrad, Srvedlosk and Cherynobyl] in the Soviet Union that they finally got it right.:)
    Not familiar with the details behind Srvedlosk. But Leningrad and Chernobyl were caused by human error, rather the the technological error.
    And both were pretty massive cases of gross incompetence from what I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

An interesting piece from the New York Times about social unrest in America....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/01/us/the-order-proud-boys-oath-keepers-far-right.html?referringSource=articleShare

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

tudderone wrote: »
    Comes with all sorts of conditions, you cannot keep it at home, it must be kept at a secure facility, and you can only shoot it under supervision and so many times a year. Better than nothing i suppose.

Yeah, it falls under section 7 of their firearms act or so I'm told. Apparently you can keep it at home if you don't shoot it which is grand.

My mistake on Sverdlovsk,it was a biowarfare lab accident rather than nuke.

As for the other two gross incompetence definitely from the designs,to administration to dealing with it and trying to hush them up. Something rather similar with our attitude to disasters and causing them here.

Yeah, it falls under section 7 of their firearms act or so I'm told. Apparently you can keep it at home if you don't shoot it which is grand.

The only live pistol you can keep at home, apart from those stupid long barrel pistols and muzzle loaders, are pistols which chamber obsolete ammunition. There is a list of obsolete rounds and if your pistol is chambered for one, you can have it.

I have heard of quite a lot of stalkers getting single or double shot pistols for humane dispatch though.

An interesting piece from the New York Times about social unrest in America....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/01/us/the-order-proud-boys-oath-keepers-far-right.html?referringSource=articleShare

Hmm, there's something missing from this article but I can't quite put my finger on it.

You want to be a tweedy jacket with leather patches wearing,pipe-smoking beardie well up on the five German lads who made the firing pins for that particular model and serial number on any given afternoon in May 1900, before you get any sort of a chance to fire the 10 allocated rounds per annum by the massive club of Fudds [AKA the UK NRA], on the holy grounds of Bisley once a year.:rolleyes: And then you still be considered some sort of radical cad type for having an intrest in those confounded handguns from what I've heard about those collectors or whatnot in the UK.:eek:

• Advertisement

The only live pistol you can keep at home, apart from those stupid long barrel pistols and muzzle loaders, are pistols which chamber obsolete ammunition. There is a list of obsolete rounds and if your pistol is chambered for one, you can have it.

I have heard of quite a lot of stalkers getting single or double shot pistols for humane dispatch though.

I think you can have pistols from before 1919 or pistols of historical significance at home, licensed of course. English Shooting made a video on them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1WbpwuQ5wk&t=375s

You want to be a tweedy jacket with leather patches wearing,pipe-smoking beardie well up on the five German lads who made the firing pins for that particular model and serial number on any given afternoon in May 1900, before you get any sort of a chance to fire the 10 allocated rounds per annum by the massive club of Fudds [AKA the UK NRA], on the holy grounds of Bisley once a year.:rolleyes: And then you still be considered some sort of radical cad type for having an intrest in those confounded handguns from what I've heard about those collectors or whatnot in the UK.:eek:

Oh we have fudds aplenty here too Grizz, believe me, i've met them. If shooting was in their hands, i'd jack it in and take up tiddley-winks.

Hmm, there's something missing from this article but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Proof of writer's claims perhaps?:rolleyes:
    Factual reporting perhaps? IE "MAC10 semiauto gun":rolleyes:

Oh we have fudds aplenty here too Grizz, believe me, i've met them. If shooting was in their hands, i'd jack it in and take up tiddley-winks.

Fortunately a dying[literal] breed here,and TBH not as bad as in the UK or elsewhere. More worrisome are here the Gombeens and Judases who would sell out their own for a quick buck or for a simpering fools place at the ministerial table to be told what will be removed next from their gun cabinet and like it.:rolleyes:

Quite possible, or maybe it was lying through omission by failing to mention the BLM LGBTQ[insert more letters here] mob?:eek::eek:

I think you can have pistols from before 1919 or pistols of historical significance at home, licensed of course. English Shooting made a video on them.

Not anymore... There was an outbreak of criminals using antique and obscure calibre handguns to do each other in so the HO shut that down as well.:mad:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/circular-0012021-antique-firearms/circular-0012021-antique-firearms-regulations-2021-and-the-policing-and-crime-act-2017-commencement-no11-and-transitional-provisions-regulations

There was a semi-auto Mac-10 I think? wasn't there an issue about open or closed bolts and a ATF ruling that changed on them?

I know a few lads in the UK who shoot, and they simply couldn't be bothered with all that. It is just easier to go to France or Spain and shoot there. But at least in the UK they can still shoot things we cannot, such as Cowboy action shooting (looks a lot of fun) or practical shotgun.

civdef wrote: »
    There was a semi-auto Mac-10 I think? wasn't there an issue about open or closed bolts and a ATF ruling that changed on them?

Bloody pointless thing no matter if it was semi or full auto.

• Advertisement

I know a few lads in the UK who shoot, and they simply couldn't be bothered with all that. It is just easier to go to France or Spain and shoot there. But at least in the UK they can still shoot things we cannot, such as Cowboy action shooting (looks a lot of fun) or practical shotgun.

Yeah, or just take a flight up North for the day. I'd love to do some IPSC or some practical shooting, but alas.

Advertisement