Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Was at a wedding about 6 years ago in the hotel part of Portmarnock Golf Club and all the talk during the day amongst most of the men at the wedding was will the lounge be showing the Champions League final that evening.
    On arrival it was quickly established that they would and there was plenty of telly's around the place to watch the match.
    After the dinner we all headed out for a pint and a chat to the bar and to our delight half of the Ireland squad arrived down about 7pm to get a spot to watch the match. So we're sitting in the lounge with Walters, Long etc and a few people are getting pictures taken with them.
    Of course by the time the match starts by 8pm and goes on till about 10pm no one had moved out to the function room for the dancing. Heard that the bride had confronted the best man and told him to get everyone out to her wedding, believe me the whole day was about her! He had the cheek to say what do you want me to do? And wham! she clocked him across the head.
    Bit of a fuss ensued and to be fair when she calmed down she did apologise to the best man.
    Wouldn't mind she got some great wedding pictures with the Irish soccer panel, great sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

boardlady wrote: »
    I had no fear of insulting anyone - however, you seem not to share this! We paid for our own wedding. If we wanted a large wedding, it was to be no skin off anyone else's nose. We both come from very large families and a rural area with lots of friends, business colleagues etc. It was very much a wedding of its time and place to be honest. Again, each to their own

I thought you said you took out a loan? I get that you paid it back. But yeah that is the type of stereotypical Irish wedding I had in my head.

I suppose my point is that you felt compelled to have a certain type of wedding- a wedding you could not afford and had to take out a loan to pay for it. Now, I have heard of it before so you are by no means unique in that sense.

As long as a great day was had by all then that is all that matters. The memories will last a lot longer than the memories of the one off cost. Nobody guest will remember what they spent at a wedding but they will remember the wedding and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

That makes me so relieved our date is in August- between my da and my 4 brothers (and my soon to be husband) there'd be a lot of distracted lads if it was during the football season!

If it's the English premier league you're talking about, it starts in august.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

If it's the English premier league you're talking about, it starts in august.

We're at the start of the month, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

If not, then who in God's name needs 100-300 people at their special day. Half of them you barely know (not you personally) and just feel compellled to invite for fear of insulting someone..

Partyguinness definitely doesn’t sound like a culchie... our list is 200 for next year and they aren’t random acquaintances either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

I was reading the history of a local GAA club that celebrated their 50th Anniversary

There was a story about fellas leaving a wedding reception to play a match and then returning for the reception missing the meal.

Im certain that some of those who left were brothers of both the bride and the groom.

Different times back then....no one batted an eyelid

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

whitey1 wrote: »
    I was reading the history of a local GAA club that celebrated their 50th Anniversary

There was a story about fellas leaving a wedding reception to play a match and then returning for the reception missing the meal.

Im certain that some of those who left were brothers of both the bride and the groom.

Different times back then....no one batted an eyelid

Friends of the Family missed my wedding mass as their daughter was playing Minor County Camogie match not a eyelid batted and that was only 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

dilallio wrote: »
    This one comes under the "Almost ruining a wedding" category.

I was at a wedding about 16 or 17 years ago of 2 close friends. One of the happy couple was related to Bishop Edward Daly, who was the main celebrant at the wedding mass. At the meal, I was sitting at a table just in front of the top table...

That reminds me of wedding I was at in the West where there groom was English.
    Several of his family and friends travelled over as you can imagine.
    One of his friends in the military attended dressed in uniform. The uniform being that of the Parachute Regiment.

I would say a lot of the people there didn't twig it, but for those that did it caused some Roger Moore-esque raised eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Can't understand people not making adjustments for guests to watch big sporting events.
    Remember a local girl got married to an english guy and speeches started. several of the locals in the bar watching local county in a match which was a close fought affair and anyone who had missed the first half started to leave as the game eddged towards the finish and into extra time. The grooms man had full power point presentation and for every little anecdote there was a ripple of applause and 3-4 men made a bee line for the bar.

Ireland V England 1990 - hotel in Athlone and a wedding had been booked for the same date when Elan wanted to reward their employees by booking the hotel for a "do". Approached the couple and after a little too/fro, said we'll pay for the wedding, honeymoon and £10 a head round of drinks if you'll move the wedding by a day.

Naturally they said no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ireland V England 1990 - hotel in Athlone and a wedding had been booked for the same date when Elan wanted to reward their employees by booking the hotel for a "do". Approached the couple and after a little too/fro, said we'll pay for the wedding, honeymoon and £10 a head round of drinks if you'll move the wedding by a day.

Naturally they said no problem!

Are you sure about that? That game was on a Monday night so it would be a little unusual to have a wedding on a Monday evening early June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Are you sure about that? That game was on a Monday night so it would be a little unusual to have a wedding on a Monday evening early June.

Ah, they do things differently down in Athlone. It was probably some local trying to marry his dog. They're weird like that.

I love when a urban legend gets completely undone by something simple like the date it happened...

yep. that struck me as odd also but Elan were one of the first of the american companies to start going the extra mile for their employees. It was the Hodson Bay hotel.
    I would assume that given it was a weekday wedding anyway that moving it to the Tuesday didn't make a huge difference to the guests who were attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

https://www.hoganstand.com/article/index/237482

While not a wedding, a priest moved the time of a First Communion ceremony to allow a dad play a very important game-which they won.....and he was MOTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My wedding was a Monday night in July

Elan were one of the first of the american companies to start going the extra mile for their employees. .
    Elan were an Irish company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Ah, they do things differently down in Athlone. It was probably some local trying to marry his dog. They're weird like that.

I love when a urban legend gets completely undone by something simple like the date it happened...

Yeah, that's like the one where a famous footballer wants the venue and offers to pay the mortgage for the couple getting married if they change their date :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Can't imagine Monday nights were a popular night for weddings back in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I accept a wedding invite months in advance I do not know that my team will be in (say) champions league final. You plan your wedding date carefully.

If you think I am missing Alan McLaughlin* scoring a goal that qualifies us for a world cup in favour of some one liners from Breda's drunk father?

* RIP

You'll know the date of the final though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You'll know the date of the final though.

Yeah. So should the couple.
    But I might be willing to miss a CL final for a close friend and 2 teams I am not interested in but might not fo another. The Ireland world cup is a better example

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

We played those cun...oops, I mean team twice in 1990, casco equaliser late on. Was that on the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

When I accept a wedding invite months in advance I do not know that my team will be in (say) champions league final. You plan your wedding date carefully.

If you think I am missing Alan McLaughlin* scoring a goal that qualifies us for a world cup in favour of some one liners from Breda's drunk father?

* RIP

Ah of course- big sports fixtures are always a risk with summer and weekend weddings. It's easier to research the main fixtures now. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the match being shown in the function room if it means everyone is together, gets people mixing and having a laugh.

Don't men realise that the bride has been planning this for ages, stressed AF, and now she's left on her ownio while so many guests are all having the craic out in the bar watching a match. It is still a lousy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,993 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Most people would know to avoid All Ireland final dates, but tricky date to watch out for is the replay slot for the All Ireland football or hurling final.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

they were but american focused and american owned (though an Irish resident for many years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yeah. So should the couple.
    But I might be willing to miss a CL final for a close friend and 2 teams I am not interested in but might not fo another. The Ireland world cup is a better example

Right, but you can still RSVP no if you think your team might make it to the final. You have the knowledge of the date when replying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Can't understand people not making adjustments for guests to watch big sporting events.

From my own perspective: I hate watching sports. Like, genuinely hate it. The crowd noises do my head in. I'd rather have silence instead of a match playing. You can't have a proper conservation when a match is on either, because people just get so wrapped up in it that they're not even listening to you and start jumping up and down yelling when you're in the middle of a sentence.

Matches are on all the time, but you'll only get married once (ideally!).

If there a genuinely BIG match (I'm talking a once in a decade type thing), I would begrudgingly try to accommodate it, only because I know a lot of people will be MIA otherwise. But for a bog standard match, I'll be damned if I'm having that playing in the background at my wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I thought you said you took out a loan? I get that you paid it back. But yeah that is the type of stereotypical Irish wedding I had in my head.

I suppose my point is that you felt compelled to have a certain type of wedding- a wedding you could not afford and had to take out a loan to pay for it. Now, I have heard of it before so you are by no means unique in that sense.

As long as a great day was had by all then that is all that matters. The memories will last a lot longer than the memories of the one off cost. Nobody guest will remember what they spent at a wedding but they will remember the wedding and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

To be honest if you asked me what particular memories I have of any of weddings I’ve attended over the years I couldn’t tell you. They are all the same to me, same food(usually awful!), same type of bands, same hotel decor. Nothing unique.Country weddings in particular are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Frequently confused with Enron.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Yeah, that's like the one where a famous footballer wants the venue and offers to pay the mortgage for the couple getting married if they change their date :rolleyes:

Must be where the Beckham's got the idea from! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

* RIP

I got married during the euros in 2012 - got married abroad so had planned it 2 years in advance. As I was getting married abroad I decided to go with a Wednesday - I was blessed - it was a day off from the football and no games were played 20th June - otherwise I would have had to get a tv in the reception - not only would the guests have been awol my husband would have been too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

We played those cun...oops, I mean team twice in 1990, casco equaliser late on. Was that on the weekend?

That game was on a Wednesday afternoon.

• Advertisement

woodchuck wrote: »
    From my own perspective: I hate watching sports. Like, genuinely hate it. The crowd noises do my head in. I'd rather have silence instead of a match playing. You can't have a proper conservation when a match is on either, because people just get so wrapped up in it that they're not even listening to you and start jumping up and down yelling when you're in the middle of a sentence.

Matches are on all the time, but you'll only get married once (ideally!).

If there a genuinely BIG match (I'm talking a once in a decade type thing), I would begrudgingly try to accommodate it, only because I know a lot of people will be MIA otherwise. But for a bog standard match, I'll be damned if I'm having that playing in the background at my wedding!

Yes YOU will get married once but the attendees will have a hundred or more weddings.
    For bog standard matches the amount of people looking to watch it while attending a wedding will be in single digits but if you have a wedding fixed for the first Sunday of October in Westport and Mayo were facing into a replay or Ireland England Grand Slam decider on the same time it makes sense to make arrangements timing wise- the match is going to be on in the majority of hotels anyway so guests can view it in the bar.

Advertisement