Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know a lady who had a civil ceremony in a hotel in the early 2000’s and then had the reception in the same place.
    The marriage didn’t last long and she remarried a few years later in the same hotel.
    She had the same bridesmaids some of who were related to her first husband, the flower girl was the original one and was about 14 at this stage, she got her dress made identical and the bridesmaids were very similar, poems, songs, band, flowers, etc were the exact same.
    Guests found it sort of strange who were at the first wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,538 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

spacetweek wrote: »
    ??
    There were 8 speeches at my wedding - me+bride, both my parents, her dad, best man, both bridesmaids. No harm, most of them were only a few minutes.

Oh I was at one , the groom went on for a good bit , grand. The best man droned on. Still grand. Then his 4 brothers all had to makes speeches which went on and on and basically sucked the life out of the guests and put everyone in bad mood. People couldn't wait to get the hell out of there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

cj maxx wrote: »
    Oh I was at one , the groom went on for a good bit , grand. The best man droned on. Still grand. Then his 4 brothers all had to makes speeches which went on and on and basically sucked the life out of the guests and put everyone in bad mood. People couldn't wait to get the hell out of there

As bad as that is, once you see the projector being opened up, you know you are in for 20-30 minutes of utter crap that only a few people are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

??
    There were 8 speeches at my wedding - me+bride, both my parents, her dad, best man, both bridesmaids. No harm, most of them were only a few minutes.

I quite like most speeches, I would not be one of those calling for them to be abolished/nobody cares/etc etc but I do hate when people who clearly do not have the skill, nor appetite for making a speech feel the need to make a rambling snore inducing 15 minute+ speech.

but 8 is way too many people...two bridesmaids and best man?? Nah, someone should have got cut there for a start :pac:

As bad as that is, once you see the projector being opened up, you know you are in for 20-30 minutes of utter crap that only a few people are interested in.

Thankfully haven't been at one of those where a projector is pulled out.

Have seen a few on the likes of joe.ie over the years, of "amazing best man speech" where he'll run out the door and cut to a pre recorded video playing in the room of him running around looking for rings/notes etc.

Basically 20 minutes of the worst sitcom pilot you'll ever see

Leave the projector at home folks...

• Advertisement

A gay guy I know (everyone knew he was gay) went through with a sham marriage to a girl. The girl's father said as his speech, addressing her, "Why are you doing this?"

All through the engagement he was shagging blokes on the side.

They were separated within a year and he's in a relationship with a guy now.

Bizarre. Was this in Ireland? What decade are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I was a a wedding 7 or 8 years ago where it wasn't ruined but the speech by one of the grooms men definitely b0ll0xed up his speech and made an almighty show of the groom in front of the in-laws he hadn't even met yet.

Like you could hear the heart beat of a fly in the room, the room was that quiet. the speech felt like it went on forever.

What's worse is that the night before the groomsman, myself and the groom all sat in the hotel discussing what exactly COULDN'T be said in the speech and what wasn't appropriate or funny.

Low-and-behold that the speech was literally everything we had said was off limits the night before.

To this day the grooms man still hasn't realised how bad the speech was even though he has watched it back himself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

KissMeArse wrote: »
    Turned out he got sunstroke as they asked him what he did all day and if he was getting in enough fluids. He responded by saying he alternated between being in the pool and panning out on a sunbed in the 30+ degree heat. In typical Irish oulfella fashion, he also said he was adequately hydrated after having two cups of tea and a small glass of orange juice with his breakfast that morning (the cups being those ones you get in hotels/apartments that hold enough tea to barely wet your whistle).
    Had the same happen with my oldfella a few years back in Rome at a rugby match - the Irish won the match on the saturday, we'd a long dinner and many beers over the course of the evening and sunday morning dawned, hot and sultry and everybody with a hangover and a mouth like the inside of a workman's jockstrap.

I'd booked tickets to the Borghese Gallery which required us to be there around half ten which was too early to get breakfasted properly, so we decided on brunch later, then walked to the gallery in the bright sun. Half an hour into the gallery and the oldfella goes white, burbles incoherently for a few seconds, throws his arms around some priceless, huge and heavy piece of Roman history beside him, nearly capsizing it on top of himself, then slumps against the wall behind him and down onto the floor in a heap. He'd had a mini-stroke a few years ago while returning after a party of mine, and here I am a few years later, wondering is he ok and how the f*ck I'm going to explain a second stroke on my account to my ma and sisters. The staff at the gallery were great though and before panic set in, they'd picked him up, sat him upright in a wheelchair, splashed him with some water and - thank god - he comes around, looking a bit dizzy, then straightens up properly, drinks a half a liter of water from their bottle and returns more or less to normal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Does anyone, actually, get “gifts” for a wedding? I’ve never bought one. Couple of hundred quid in a card and that’s that.

Much handier than having to shop for something and then have to lug it around with you until you can “off load” it on the best man, or someone else.

I think the days when you bought a home appliance (like a toaster) for the couple are over, as everybody already lives together when they get married today.
    I've been asked to buy something from a wedding register a few times. The item gets sent straight to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bizarre. Was this in Ireland? What decade are we talking?

Bizarre and sad, in this day and age.
    It was Ireland, everybody involved was Irish and it was only about 8 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

cj maxx wrote: »

Long speeches are a pain. I use to work in hospitality some speeches would just go on. I remembered one wedding 2 hrs and 1/2 the speeches went on for. We were there waiting to go in to clear before we head home wouldn't mind as much if we were getting paid hourly but we on a function rate 🙁😠 . All the guests were bored silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I quite like most speeches, I would not be one of those calling for them to be abolished/nobody cares/etc etc but I do hate when people who clearly do not have the skill, nor appetite for making a speech feel the need to make a rambling snore inducing 15 minute+ speech.

but 8 is way too many people...two bridesmaids and best man?? Nah, someone should have got cut there for a start :pac:

Spot on Dick,
    A good speech , whether it's the best man, father of the bride or whoever, can really set the tone for the rest of the day/night.
    The trick is to know your limitations.
    If it does not come naturally, then keep it brief and just do your part; thank the bridesmaids , propose toasts etc and sit down.
    Leave the funnies to the ones who can pull it off, and can read the room.
    Be wary of anyone who says they'll wing it.
    And hope they steer clear of "wedding speeches.com"

A work colleague got married in Spain. They had a free bar for a few hours then it ran out. So the bride and groom started opening up the envelopes and putting the cash behind the bar. Then the guests drank all of that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Another thing happened at my wedding also. I am known for NEVER being late for anything and categorically stated I wasn't going to be late for the church cause I hate that crap of leaving everyone waiting.

Cue the day, me and Dad were the last 2 left in the house, walked out to the photographer and wedding car and the photographer asked was I not carrying anything, says I "no, my bridesmaids have my bag etc." and he says "what about a bouquet?". I had left it in the house! Neither of us had a key to the house on us!!

The driver of the vintage car had to "speed" up to the church and ask my sister for them. She gave him the wrong keys in a panic so he had to go up again. In the end I was half an hour late and everyone was laughing their heads off. I wasn't! Being late just stresses me out. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A work colleague got married in Spain. They had a free bar for a few hours then it ran out. So the bride and groom started opening up the envelopes and putting the cash behind the bar. Then the guests drank all of that too!

Now that is a sound couple. fair play to them.

The guests should have put their hands in their own pockets though, bad form on their part.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Now that is a sound couple. fair play to them.

The guests should have put their hands in their own pockets though, bad form on their part.

They had already put their hands in their pockets bigly to fly to Spain for their wedding.

They had already put their hands in their pockets bigly to fly to Spain for their wedding.

Still though, that money is a gift to the couple, not to be drank by the gluttonous guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Still though, that money is a gift to the couple, not to be drank by the gluttonous guests.

It sounds like the bride and groom wanted to keep the party going and probably thought it was a great idea with a few drinks onboard. I'm sure most guests would have been happy enough to pay for their own beer once the free bar ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

robindch wrote: »
    Had the same happen with my oldfella a few years back in Rome at a rugby match - the Irish won the match on the saturday, we'd a long dinner and many beers over the course of the evening and sunday morning dawned, hot and sultry and everybody with a hangover and a mouth like the inside of a workman's jockstrap.

I'd booked tickets to the Borghese Gallery which required us to be there around half ten which was too early to get breakfasted properly, so we decided on brunch later, then walked to the gallery in the bright sun. Half an hour into the gallery and the oldfella goes white, burbles incoherently for a few seconds, throws his arms around some priceless, huge and heavy piece of Roman history beside him, nearly capsizing it on top of himself, then slumps against the wall behind him and down onto the floor in a heap. He'd had a mini-stroke a few years ago while returning after a party of mine, and here I am a few years later, wondering is he ok and how the f*ck I'm going to explain a second stroke on my account to my ma and sisters. The staff at the gallery were great though and before panic set in, they'd picked him up, sat him upright in a wheelchair, splashed him with some water and - thank god - he comes around, looking a bit dizzy, then straightens up properly, drinks a half a liter of water from their bottle and returns more or less to normal.

I feel that anecdote needs to end with him heading out later that evening and downing 12 pints.

Beatty69 wrote: »
    Another thing happened at my wedding also. I am known for NEVER being late for anything and categorically stated I wasn't going to be late for the church cause I hate that crap of leaving everyone waiting.

Cue the day, me and Dad were the last 2 left in the house, walked out to the photographer and wedding car and the photographer asked was I not carrying anything, says I "no, my bridesmaids have my bag etc." and he says "what about a bouquet?". I had left it in the house! Neither of us had a key to the house on us!!

The driver of the vintage car had to "speed" up to the church and ask my sister for them. She gave him the wrong keys in a panic so he had to go up again. In the end I was half an hour late and everyone was laughing their heads off. I wasn't! Being late just stresses me out. :D:D:D

Excuse my ignorance but why is a bouquet something worth going back for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a bride can't walk up the aisle without one.

It sounds like the bride and groom wanted to keep the party going and probably thought it was a great idea with a few drinks onboard. I'm sure most guests would have been happy enough to pay for their own beer once the free bar ended.

Exactly. I have never gone to a wedding expecting a free bar, I'm happy to pay for what I want to drink and if the couple want to throw more money behind the bar, that's their own choice.

it would have been funny if they opened a card in front of everyone and there was 20 euro in it from say the Murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

In days of yore, a strategically placed bouquet was used to hide a bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

With you there.

I also seem to be alone in not seeing the big deal over a funeral at the church before a wedding.

In days of yore, a strategically placed bouquet was used to hide a bump.

And before that, to hide the smell of the bride. :pac:

How could you not have one to walk up the aisle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

I was at a work wedding years ago and the grooms family (in particular his sister) did not like the bride and made no secret of the fact

They accused her of being a snob because she wouldn’t go camping with them and stayed at a hotel down the street whenever they went on vacation

Anyway the ructions started a few weeks before the wedding when the grooms sister found out her kids were selected to hand out programs at the church......instead of the more coveted roles such as flower girl and Paige boy.

It was so bad that she announced she was boycotting the wedding....which was a relief to everyone involved. What she didn’t tell people was that she was only boycotting the ceremony, she had every intention of coming to the reception

Anyway during the reception she got into a yelling match with the groom (her brother) and the bride intervened and told her that if she wasn’t there to have a good time, she was free to leave

Well that was a red rag to a bull and she lunged at the bride l, used some choice language (including the C word) and actually ripped the headdress from her head

At that stage, another brother intervened and forcibly removed her from the reception

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Iguarantee

a bride can't can walk up the aisle without one.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

With you there.

I also seem to be alone in not seeing the big deal over a funeral at the church before a wedding.

Well, if the groom leaves the bouquet behind, the bride can borrow a wreath. Win/Win.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

it would have been funny if they opened a card in front of everyone and there was 20 euro in it from say the Murphys.

Or an empty card :D

Advertisement