Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ah yeah I mean none of them are outstanding but at a price of €40 and one for €30 I think most people would find one of them a pleasant drink of an evening.

Wasn't that part if the issue with the splitting of the company. Walsh wanted to focus on making great whiskey, but the financial backers wanted to churn stuff out at lower price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Effects wrote: »
    Wasn't that part if the issue with the splitting of the company. Walsh wanted to focus on making great whiskey, but the financial backers wanted to churn stuff out at lower price point.

Yeah I think it was allright. The guy hosting it mentioned he had spoken to the Disaronno lads about Cask Strength releases and aged releases but reading between the lines it didn't seem like that interested them. Seem to be heavily focused on the US market, they're in 50 states apparently where as its only available locally here in Carpenters and the wine centre in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

SuperValu in Waterford have them now too but with that kind of attitude they'll end up like Tullamore DEW who I think are relatively unknown here in Ireland despite their success abroad.

Walsh could have learned a bit from that too though. At one point we had pretty much everything they'd released in stock from the Irishman range and Writer's Tears including two distillery only exclusives. I think it was something like 15 different whiskies when I think they should have been concentrating on the core bottles from both ranges along with maybe a couple of one-offs. It just created confusion among customers and staff who I noticed were less likely to recommend a Walsh whiskey because there was so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Adyx wrote: »
    SuperValu in Waterford have them now too but with that kind of attitude they'll end up like Tullamore DEW who I think are relatively unknown here in Ireland despite their success abroad.
    Walsh could have learned a bit from that too though. At one point we had pretty much everything they'd released in stock from the Irishman range and Writer's Tears including two distillery only exclusives. I think it was something like 15 different whiskies when I think they should have been concentrating on the core bottles from both ranges along with maybe a couple of one-offs. It just created confusion among customers and staff who I noticed were less likely to recommend a Walsh whiskey because there was so many.

I wonder if that strategy of multiple releases is done to get coverage in American based whiskey magazines... if you are releasing a new offering you will coverage, reviews etc
    It might work to get higher profile abroad, maybe they would be better off keeping some of them as North American \ travel retail only offerings.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i wouldn't have though Tullamore DEW was unknown, but it's in that market competing directly with Jameson and Powers which are both so well established, and in Jameson's case has a behemoth of a marketing campaign behind it. Maybe include Bushmills here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wonder if that strategy of multiple releases is done to get coverage in American based whiskey magazines... if you are releasing a new offering you will coverage, reviews etc
    It might work to get higher profile abroad, maybe they would be better off keeping some of them as North American \ travel retail only offerings.

I dunno. Travel releases, limited editions, cask strength, whiskey magazines. They are enticing when there’s a following of fans. But it’s not how you build a fan base imo. I honestly think the financial heads have the right idea. Cheap, accessible, brand consistency. Build sales, then expand.

A lot of people will bemoaned this, but the most commercially successful new Irish whiskey of this generation has been Proper 12. They did this purely on sales, not reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Adyx wrote: »

We did a Walsh whiskey tasting previously with the same society and the woman hosting it did say they were focusing on growing the core range of Writers tears which is the copper pot, red head and double oak. They only released the Mizunara as a tie in with the rugby World Cup and it wasn't intended to be released outside of airports but they ended up having more of it (or more likely, sales not that great) so it was made available here. They will still do limited releases though which I don't really mind but their core range is excellent IMO, could sip on the copper pot all day long.

I do think having two brands under the same Walsh whiskey banner confuses things though but I assume for international retail The Irishman range is a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Mellor wrote:
    I dunno. Travel releases, limited editions, cask strength, whiskey magazines. They are enticing when there’s a following of fans. But it’s not how you build a fan base imo. I honestly think the financial heads have the right idea. Cheap, accessible, brand consistency. Build sales, then expand.

A lot of people will bemoaned this, but the most commercially successful new Irish whiskey of this generation has been Proper 12. They did this purely on sales, not reviews.

The Dublin Liberties Distillery isn't a brand that comes up much here or any of the whiskey enthusiast forums/sites I'm on. Yet they sold 900,000 bottles worldwide in 2020. A fan base that buys cask strength limited releases of a few hundred bottles doesn't compete with that.

Cazale wrote: »
    The Dublin Liberties Distillery isn't a brand that comes up much here or any of the whiskey enthusiast forums/sites I'm on. Yet they sold 900,000 bottles worldwide in 2020. A fan base that buys cask strength limited releases of a few hundred bottles doesn't compete with that.

I would be curious how much if any of that total is down to their whiskey liqueur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Weekend sorted:)

The Bushmills Caribbean is the first up...
    First impressions are there is a certain harshness to it and certainly not as nice as the Tullamore Dew Caribbean Rum Cask finish..still sippable I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

First impressions are there is a certain harshness to it and certainly not as nice as the Tullamore Dew Caribbean Rum Cask finish..still sippable I suppose

The 25 euro in Tesco Slane def doesn’t have that mild harshness but I think the Tully Rum Cask is a fair bit dearer than Bush Carib . Mad to see in Tesco yesterday not a single bottle of their Finest IrishSingle Malt or several other regulars .Lockdown !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I saw a review online and the lad said that it wasn't as nice as Black Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Weepsie wrote: »
    i wouldn't have though Tullamore DEW was unknown, but it's in that market competing directly with Jameson and Powers which are both so well established, and in Jameson's case has a behemoth of a marketing campaign behind it. Maybe include Bushmills here too.

I'm stressing the relatively unknown part here. It is obviously known in Ireland, especially to people who are "whiskey drinkers" but it's the second best-selling Irish whiskey in the world whereas in Ireland it can be an uphill battle sometimes to promote it to customers. It's the problem again of the brand call Jameson has here in my experience.
    We did a Walsh whiskey tasting previously with the same society and the woman hosting it did say they were focusing on growing the core range of Writers tears which is the copper pot, red head and double oak. They only released the Mizunara as a tie in with the rugby World Cup and it wasn't intended to be released outside of airports but they ended up having more of it (or more likely, sales not that great) so it was made available here. They will still do limited releases though which I don't really mind but their core range is excellent IMO, could sip on the copper pot all day long.

I do think having two brands under the same Walsh whiskey banner confuses things though but I assume for international retail The Irishman range is a winner.
    It is excellent. I really like what they've put out but from an on-trade point of view it can be a bit much.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I saw a review online and the lad said that it wasn't as nice as Black Bush.

I like it but yeah would put black bush above it.
    And the tullamore dew rum finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Trying to choose between Black Bush and the Caskmates stout in Tesco weekend deals (given that they didn't reduce Black Barrel this time!)
    Leaning towards trying the black bush, but curious to see if there may be caskmates stout fans here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Trying to choose between Black Bush and the Caskmates stout in Tesco weekend deals (given that they didn't reduce Black Barrel this time!)
    Leaning towards trying the black bush, but curious to see if there may be caskmates stout fans here?

Black Bush for me

Jameson Caskmates Stout is a smooth, mellow, relaxing whiskey... nice one to end a night on.
    Black Bush has more robust flavours, more of a sit up and take notice whiskey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone gets the drinkshero email offering a bottle of all of the spots?

550 for all 6 including blue spot. They're obviously loading about 70 quid into the latter there in the hope people buy it.

I'd love to justify it.

They're doing samples of all 6 for 45

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

100% Blackbush!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bush for me but they are very different whiskeys.
    Apparently the stout isn’t as good as it used to be.
    If you like Sherry cask whiskey, go with bush

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Opened a bottle of Green Spot Cheateau Leoville Barton last night, while I watched the season finale of Line of Duty (Absolutely pants, btw).

This is one of the early bottlings, perhaps even from the original run, I am not sure but I've had it for several years. I have a bottle of the Green Spot Cheateau Montelena as well, and had debated holding onto them to give away as gifts as to be honest Irish whiskey as a broad style, including pot still, just not doing much for me these days.

However, I cracked as I have no other whisky in the house at the moment, just a Wild Turkey 101 and a load of rums.

Thoughts: It's more regular Green Spot than anything else really. Now, I'm a fan of Green Spot insofar as these things go, but I definitely expected more vinous elements, considering the Bordeaux finish. It's a tad darker in colour than regular Green Spot but not by much. I would have liked more 'oomph' here, like the Red Silkie, for example, which is as much about wine as it is about whiskey...

I did appreciate the story behind the selection of Chateau Leoville Barton, however, I didn't realise that Irish emigrees had been making wine in France for that long. There is a nice little booklet that comes with the whiskey explaining that they selected a winery founded by one of the "Wine Geese" (Like Wild Geese) who departed Ireland from Antrim.

550 for all 6 including blue spot. They're obviously loading about 70 quid into the latter there in the hope people buy it.
    I'd love to justify it.
    They're doing samples of all 6 for 45

I thought about getting the sample set but have already tasted half of them so couldnt justify it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Couldn't you just buy them separately for less? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Effects wrote: »
    Couldn't you just but them separately for less? :confused:

They appear to be trying to exploit the shortage of Blue Spot.

The Irish Whiskey Society have a green spot tasting coming up. As Ive said recently on the thread I don't enjoy their tastings as much as I should so I doubt Ill do anymore. Might be of interest to someone though. You need to be a member to purchase.

Green Spot Single Casks In The Spotlight

We're delighted that Fionnán O'Connor, Cask Committee member will be joined by Rowan Lacey, Prestige Whiskey Brand Ambassador, Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard together with Robert Mitchell, Mitchell & Son for this very special tasting to compare and contrast these five exclusive Single Cask Cask Strength expressions of the beloved Green Spot side by side;
    • The Palace Bar, Dublin Green Spot Single Cask #283863 11 Year Old 59.5%
    • The Whisky Exchange Green Spot Single Cask #25850 12 Year Old 59%
    • Revolution Whiskey Bar, Waterford Green Spot Single Cask #7740 13 Year Old 59.6%
    • Mitchell & Son Green Spot Single Cask #105181 13 Year Old 60.7%
    • The Whisky Exchange Green Spot Single Cask #50776 26 Year Old 55.7%

Everyone who signs up will also be treated to a bonus 50ml miniature of the Green Spot core expression (40%) Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey, with thanks to Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard for providing this expression for us.

The lineup includes rare and premium priced single cask, cask strength expressions; the price of the tasting will be €72.50 to cover cost of the whiskey, packaging and shipping.

Booking opens on Monday 3rd of May at 7.00pm. We have managed to secure two bottles of each of the single casks to ensure as many people as possible can book a space on this special tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Opened a bottle of Green Spot Cheateau Leoville Barton last night, while I watched the season finale of Line of Duty (Absolutely pants, btw).

This is one of the early bottlings, perhaps even from the original run, I am not sure but I've had it for several years. I have a bottle of the Green Spot Cheateau Montelena as well, and had debated holding onto them to give away as gifts as to be honest Irish whiskey as a broad style, including pot still, just not doing much for me these days.

However, I cracked as I have no other whisky in the house at the moment, just a Wild Turkey 101 and a load of rums.

Thoughts: It's more regular Green Spot than anything else really. Now, I'm a fan of Green Spot insofar as these things go, but I definitely expected more vinous elements, considering the Bordeaux finish. It's a tad darker in colour than regular Green Spot but not by much. I would have liked more 'oomph' here, like the Red Silkie, for example, which is as much about wine as it is about whiskey...

I did appreciate the story behind the selection of Chateau Leoville Barton, however, I didn't realise that Irish emigrees had been making wine in France for that long. There is a nice little booklet that comes with the whiskey explaining that they selected a winery founded by one of the "Wine Geese" (Like Wild Geese) who departed Ireland from Antrim.

Funny, I opened a bottle of Montelena over the weekend, hadn’t tried any of the green spots prior only the yellow spot which I can’t say I’m a big fan of. However the green spot Montelena was absolutely fantastic with a lovely long finish,…..thoroughly enjoyed it!

Kilbeggan are releasing a peated whiskey called Kilbeggan Black. €35 a bottle at 40% abv.

Cazale wrote: »
    Kilbeggan are releasing a peated whiskey called Kilbeggan Black. €35 a bottle at 40% abv.

Wonder how similar this will be to Connemara, which is already in their stable as a peated whiskey.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wonder how similar this will be to Connemara, which is already in their stable as a peated whiskey.

Yeah I didn't think they would do a peated whiskey outside the Connemara range. When you think five years ago Connemara was the only peated Irish. Into double figures now I would imagine.

• Advertisement

L Mulligans tasting - €27.00

Two Stacks Whiskey Tasting, Friday 14th May 7:30 p.m. via Zoom.

The folks at Two Stacks have been creating fantastic blends of Irish Whiskey with some different finishes. One of them, Imperial Coffee Stout, was only bottled last week so we will be the first to try it. We are also keen to try the Apricot Brandy cask finish, which we think is a first in Irish Whiskey.

On the evening we will try-

The First Cut – Complex blend 43%

The Blenders Cut – Cask strength complex blend 65%

Smoke & Mirrors – Peated Imperial Stout Single Malt 48%

The Blenders Cut – Apricot Brandy Cask – 62.5%

Smoke & Mirrors – Imperial Coffee Stout – 58%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement