Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is not a cheeky question, but why not round down or round up the ABV. Is there a technical reason to go with the 46.3% (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This is not a cheeky question, but why not round down or round up the ABV. Is there a technical reason to go with the 46.3% (?)

If I remember correctly from a Bunnahabhain tasting they said it was the optimum abv to negate the need for chill filtration. Or something to do with that. All their whisky is bottled at 46.3%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If I remember correctly from a Bunnahabhain tasting they said it was the optimum abv to negate the need for chill filtration. Or something to do with that. All their whisky is bottled at 46.3%.

Very interesting! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

An interesting new Irish Whisky. This one is a 10 year old single malt from Keepers Heart. Brian Nation of Midleton fame is behind it. I wonder is it stock from his old employer?

Cazale wrote: »
    An interesting new Irish Whisky. This one is a 10 year old single malt from Keepers Heart. Brian Nation of Midleton fame is behind it. I wonder is it stock from his old employer?

Interesting. Brings back memories of getting wasted on cheap Malaga wine way too long ago. I still love the stuff. Given the pedigree here I'll have to give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

FTG2mYdh.jpg

Got this delivered last week, only managed to have one dram out of it but it is very very smooth. Amazing aroma off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Hora fugit'... 'Hours fly'.... time flies.

Brian was on the lash in Spain and was inspired.

Sometimes I think I missed out on a career in whiskey marketing, the amount of chuckles it has brought me over the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On the hot whiskey, I find a slice of fresh ginger is an excellent addition to any version.

A couple of presents from the missus. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Well, she’s a keeper. Very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Any feedback on the new Bush Carribbean yet?In stock in OBriens?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

2011abc wrote: »
    Any feedback on the new Bush Carribbean yet?In stock in OBriens?

Yes, it arrived in OBriens D3 yesterday. I picked up a bottle today... the sunshine was dazzling, blue skies and blue sea and there may have been some palm trees on the promenade but I couldn't swear to it :)

Now to the whiskey... I like it, and I look forward to getting through the bottle but I can't see me rushing back for another bottle. There's a tad too much sweetness there and it's a bit aggressive.

I think the Tullamore Dew Caribbean cask is superior in quality and more to my liking.
    The Hyde rum cask is the most 'rummy' of the ones I've sampled, that might appeal to some.

* OBriens also had new stock in of the new Jameson Crested Devil's Ladder Belgian Tripel Barrels & Irishman Founders Reserve Caribbean Cask Finish.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

Very lucky!

What's the difference between that redbreast cask strength and the normal cask strength they offer?

* Further update on the Bushmills Caribbean Cask finish... really shines in a Highball
    (and a Caribbean Highball is the suggested cocktail for it on the Bushmills social media).

Ezq6MOuXIAA7HCH?format=jpg&name=small

Nice. I'd open talks immediately to extend her contract.

yer man! wrote: »
    Very lucky!

What's the difference between that redbreast cask strength and the normal cask strength they offer?

That was a recent limited release 10 year old. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I was gifted a bottle last week. So I also have an unopened bottle as well.

Black Bush is exactly the equivalent. But, it'll be a while til I have a bottle given the current volume of JBB.

You should give it a wee blast tbh. :)

Well tonight was the night..cracked open the Black Barrel ..nothing wrong with it indeed :)
    Nice starter one.
    Will have to do a Barrel v Bush taste test tomorrow night..

head82 wrote: »
    Anyone else tried the Bushmills Caribbean Rum Cask Finish?
    Not quite sure what to make of it. It's a bit of an odd one.
    Can't see it appealing to either the whiskey drinker or rum drinker.

Kinda regretting opting for it. But hey, for €30 it didn't break the bank!
    Have it on order and am looking forward to trying it.
    Not a big price so not expecting the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

cadaliac wrote: »
    West Cork blended.
    Black cask.
    7/10
    lovely
    Lovely nose, will buy

Bought - not as I thought, rough enough to be honest. Palatable but not as smooth as powers.
    Must have been pissed when I first tasted. Wouldn't be the first time ...

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've not had a whiskey finished with a Belgian style beer cask, would be interested to try this but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy it. I note they've upped the price from the last Crested by €5 too...

Branding is lovely as well.

That's the first thing I noticed too..the branding is really eye catching and will reel many a punter in when shops/airports open again.

• Advertisement

Looking for a recommendation gents.
    Have wanted an Aberlour Abunadh for a while and finally seen it in stock on Celtic Whiskey.
    So ordered it with the Bushmills Caribbean one and a Bunnabhain Eirigh na Greine ( comments on this welcome) but got an email saying they have none :(

Anyone want to recommend a similar quality taste substitute (and in price) preferably keeping to Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Looking for a recommendation gents.
    Have wanted an Aberlour Abunadh for a while and finally seen it in stock on Celtic Whiskey.
    So ordered it with the Bushmills Caribbean one and a Bunnabhain Eirigh na Greine ( comments on this welcome) but got an email saying they have none :(

Anyone want to recommend a similar quality taste substitute (and in price) preferably keeping to Scotland.

I would say Glenallachie 10 Batch 4 but they don't have that.

Would your budget stretch to the Glengoyne Teapot Dram?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Chrisht.

Fair dues. That's quite a haul. Myself and Hogzy will be over for a dram of that RB10.

Mine will grab me beers from lands afar. She's terrified of getting anything whiskey-wise though.

Well tonight was the night..cracked open the Black Barrel ..nothing wrong with it indeed :)
    Nice starter one.
    Will have to do a Barrel v Bush taste test tomorrow night..

What could possibligh go wrong?

That's the first thing I noticed too..the branding is really eye catching and will reel many a punter in when shops/airports open again.

I think it looks gack. It's the sort of branding that would really put me off a whiskey. That said, I was never the biggest fan of 8degrees anyway. So that wouldn't help.

I think it looks gack. It's the sort of branding that would really put me off a whiskey. That said, I was never the biggest fan of 8degrees anyway. So that wouldn't help.

:) you'll note I said punter and not coinnessur:)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Looking for the next recommendation.......
    Currently drinking:
    RB 12
    RB 21
    Waterford Ballkilcavan 1.2
    Waterford Gaia Organic
    Yellow Spot
    Powers John Lane

Was thinking of trying one of the JJ Corry?
    Anything else I should be thinking of with the above quality in the €50-100 range? The RB21 was a very welcome gift....:)

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Looking for the next recommendation.......
    Currently drinking:
    RB 12
    RB 21
    Waterford Ballkilcavan 1.2
    Waterford Gaia Organic
    Yellow Spot
    Powers John Lane

Was thinking of trying one of the JJ Corry?
    Anything else I should be thinking of with the above quality in the €50-100 range? The RB21 was a very welcome gift....:)

JJ Corry the Gael would be worth trying.

I would knock the waterford gaia off the list.. its ok but not on same level as the ratheadon

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

odyssey06 wrote: »
    JJ Corry the Gael would be worth trying.

I would knock the waterford gaia off the list.. its ok but not on same level as the ratheadon

I was a bit disappointed with the Gaia alright.......thanks for the recommendation

• Advertisement

Fair dues. That's quite a haul. Myself and Hogzy will be over for a dram of that RB10.

Anytime! She got me a fairly decent amount in master of malt vouchers too. I think that'll be for another thread though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement