Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Uigeadail for me :D

It's a beautiful whiskey and not at all medicinal, unlike the Ardbeg 10.

Lagavulin is lovely too, earthy and rich, but not what it once was.

Buy both!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Wailin wrote: »
    Uigeadail for me :D

It's a beautiful whiskey and not at all medicinal, unlike the Ardbeg 10.

Lagavulin is lovely too, earthy and rich, but not what it once was.

Buy both!

Why not, life's to short 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Speyside Whiskey Judging & Tasting

An excellent opportunity to try 8 magnificent whiskies from Speyside.

The Speyside whisky awards take place every May until that was brought to a halt last year. We have always enjoyed taking part and adding up the votes to see which whisky comes out on top and so this year we will be doing it virtually.

We will be joined by Speysider and current Dingle distillery manager, Graham Coull, to guide us through the following fantastic range of whiskies -

Aberlour 10 year old
    Cardhu 12 year old
    Benromach 15 year old
    The GlenAllachie 15 year old
    Glenfiddich Grand Cru 23 year old
    Glenfarclas 25 year old
    Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition
    Cardhu Amber Rock

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=spey3

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Anyone tried the new offering from WD O'Connell? 10 year old single grain from their Bourbon and Rye series. A lovely whiskey, bottle almost gone already!

Listrydude wrote:
    Anyone tried the new offering from WD O'Connell? 10 year old single grain from their Bourbon and Rye series. A lovely whiskey, bottle almost gone already!

Tried a sample of it. It's tasty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Got myself a bottle of the Jameson black barrel the weekend I have to say it was very good,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Got myself a bottle of the Jameson black barrel the weekend I have to say it was very good,

Considering its on sale the whole time in one shop or another its a grand one for the day to day. I very much enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Considering its on sale the whole time in one shop or another its a grand one for the day to day. I very much enjoyed it.

It's almost everyone on here's go to bottom-shelfer.

Have two bottles of it there. Makes a mean irish coffee too.

Glendronach are starting to chill filter all their whiskeys. Rumours of caramel colouring too but not confirmed. I know a few fans on here who will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Sacrilege!

• Advertisement

Celtic Whiskey have Blue Spot in stock. In store only so no online or phone orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the story with Lambay these days? I'm getting lots of sponsored ads on social media, that give a Christmas discount code.
    They have been struggling financially, haven't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Effects wrote: »
    What's the story with Lambay these days? I'm getting lots of sponsored ads on social media, that give a Christmas discount code.
    They have been struggling financially, haven't they?

Probably hit hard by drop in travel retail.
    Am seeing their stuff in more off licences now and in O'Briens.
    Some places selling for €30 (Celtic Whiskey Shop, Nolans), some closer to €40 for the small batch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Both are amazing so it's hard to recommend one over the other. Uigeadail is a NAS whiskey so you would think it would have some younger whiskies in it compared to Lagavullin 16, so the Laga would be a bit softer... more elegant almost. The Uigeadail is also 54% so it's definitely going to have more of a punch, though probably not as much as the Corryveckan! The marriage of sherry fruit and smoke in the Uigeadail is something else but Lagavullin is maybe more easy going and maritime compared and would be better for a long evening of sipping?

Personally I would probably say go for the Lagavullin just to contrast and compare against Ardbeg, instead of going for two Ardbegs but there's no real right answer!

Personally I couldnt imagine sipping a smokey/peaty whisky for an evening, it's something to be savoured in small doses (complementing other food and drink) but each to their own. For easy drinking maybe something like Old Pulteney.

I would like to try the Lagavulin though - and more Laphroaig, I got used to the phenolic taste very quickly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

athlone573 wrote: »
    Personally I couldnt imagine sipping a smokey/peaty whisky for an evening, it's something to be savoured in small doses (complementing other food and drink) but each to their own. For easy drinking maybe something like Old Pulteney.

I would like to try the Lagavulin though - and more Laphroaig, I got used to the phenolic taste very quickly!

Lagavulin does have a bit of south Islay smokiness to it but it's not comparable to the approach taken by Ardbeg, and the 16 is definitely a refined sipper.

I had a bottle of the Lagavulin 11 year old recently and that did verge on overly smoke-driven. It was like drinking the remains of a campfire, despite being quite refined and with some other elements coming through underneath.

Delighted to get a bottle of Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength from Celtic Whiskey. I always enjoy a dram of it but it's nigh on impossible to get with limited stocks and Springbank fanboys snapping them all up.

Peated and aged entirely in Oloroso sherry casks with an abv of 56.9 so it's right up my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Got offered a bottle of the Kilkerran 8 year old myself. Would this be a decent bottle for someone just starting out with Scotch? I've been mostly drinking Redbreast 12, Teeling single grain & Powers 3 Swallow and really enjoy them all, but very aware they're all on the sweet end of things.
    So I've been looking to expand my tastes a little and chanced the Springbank lottery as the 8 year old seemed quite a reasonable price I thought. My only other experience with Scotch was Johnny Walker (red label I think) when I was on holidays a few years ago and thought it was awful stuff altogether. But I've been really enjoying my whiskey this year and want to expand the collection!

Got offered a bottle of the Kilkerran 8 year old myself. Would this be a decent bottle for someone just starting out with Scotch? I've been mostly drinking Redbreast 12, Teeling single grain & Powers 3 Swallow and really enjoy them all, but very aware they're all on the sweet end of things.
    So I've been looking to expand my tastes a little and chanced the Springbank lottery as the 8 year old seemed quite a reasonable price I thought. My only other experience with Scotch was Johnny Walker (red label I think) when I was on holidays a few years ago and thought it was awful stuff altogether. But I've been really enjoying my whiskey this year and want to expand the collection!

I hate recommending whiskey to anyone as it's a personal preference. The thing I'd say with kilkerran 8 is that it's cask strength with peat. Both these factors divide people as they can be extreme flavours to those not used to them. Kilkerran has been described as dirty, rough and rustic which is heaven to me but might be jarring if you are new to it.

A speyside Glenlivet or Glenfiddich is probably closest in style to Irish, so that's a safe option but you are probably looking for something a bit different.

If you're not ready for the jump to heavily peated, then maybe Jura 10 year old, Old Pulteney 12 year old or Highland Park would be interesting ones to try for you.

The Bushmills Caribbean Cask is released today. I had a sample of it and wasn't a fan but some might want to try it.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    The Bushmills Caribbean Cask is released today. I had a sample of it and wasn't a fan but some might want to try it.

Cheers, I might take a punt on it. I have an O'Briens gift voucher so I am hoping it comes in there.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Cheers, I might take a punt on it. I have an O'Briens gift voucher so I am hoping it comes in there.

For 30 euro it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Can anyone recommend a good mid range Japanese whiskey?

I was given a gift of a bottle a few years ago and really enjoyed it but foolishly forgot to take note of what it was before it was gone. I did think it was a Hakushu 12 Years but looking at the price of the bottle online, I am not so sure now.

New Irish whiskey app. Have it downloaded and it has some decent information on it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.barrelproof.irishwhiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Listrydude wrote: »

Picked up 100ml today to taste. Will be investing in a full bottle! Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Cazale wrote: »

As a rum fan and someone who finds the Tullamore Dew Caribbean Rum Cask finish whiskey a nice pleasant sipper and/or perfect to start off the evening's proceedings, I'll have to try this to compare..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Having a cheeky Green Spot tonight and a Talisker to round off the evening..it is Thursday after all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Dingle batch 5 single malt...

Enjoyed it, I think the output will be super in a few more years. But is it fair to say that all of them - this crowd of new Irish distillers - need another 5-7 years to really hit their stride in terms of what they have?

Having a cheeky Green Spot tonight and a Talisker to round off the evening..it is Thursday after all.

Nice.

Having a black barrel as it happens with some James Acaster.

Round out the evening with a Bowmore I think.

• Advertisement

Dingle batch 5 single malt...

Enjoyed it, I think the output will be super in a few more years. But is it fair to say that all of them - this crowd of new Irish distillers - need another 5-7 years to really hit their stride in terms of what they have?

Everyone except Drumshanbo. /s

Genuinely though, imagine what they're gonna have out with how good the initial batches have been.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement