Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Cazale wrote: »
    Delighted to get a bottle of Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength from Celtic Whiskey. I always enjoy a dram of it but it's nigh on impossible to get with limited stocks and Springbank fanboys snapping them all up.

Peated and aged entirely in Oloroso sherry casks with an abv of 56.9 so it's right up my alley.

I was similarly notified (a day or two after you it seems) that i was picked for the Kilkerran 8yo. They’re gonna send it out to me.

I had also thrown my hat in the ring for the Springbank 10 Year Old Local Barley, which would’ve been my preference. But happy to get the Kilkerran nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

1901Rory wrote:
    I was similarly notified (a day or two after you it seems) that i was picked for the Kilkerran 8yo. They’re gonna send it out to me.

I missed out on it in the end. I was supposed to ring on the Friday but something came up and I forgot all about it. Had a missed call from them on Saturday but by the time I seen it they had offered it to someone else. That's fair enough I think on their behalf. You win some you lose some I suppose!

Jameson Orange anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Jameson Orange anybody?

Maybe for cocktails...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jameson Orange anybody?

Doesn't belong in a whiskey thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it something like the Powers Old Fashioned?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is it something like the Powers Old Fashioned?

Blue WKD was the comparison I had in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blue WKD was the comparison I had in mind!
    30% it’s definitely a spirt heavy cocktail not an alcopop.
    Although probably has that synthetic citrus cleaner taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I see amazon.co.uk are now able to deliver whiskey to the north again after a long period of not being able to due to BREXIT, at no extra cost either...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mellor wrote: »
    Although probably has that synthetic citrus cleaner taste.

Every time I have to use electronics cleaners with that (limonene, though it smells like oranges) in it, I *really* want a Sidecar.

And the pub nearest my office actually does a decent one (when able to open), and I generally don't drive to work. :pac:

Never actually succumbed. Yet.

• Advertisement

Celtic Whiskey Jack Ryan tasting €40

What's in the pack?

5 x 30ml

Join us this May for a virtual Whiskey tasting with Jack Ryan Whiskey! This tasting pack features samples of Toomevara 10 Year-Old Calvados Casks, Haddington 11 Year-Old Rum Casks, Finishers Touch 12 Year-Old Madeira Casks, 12 Year-Old and Madeira Cask Sample #89.

When?

Zoom tasting will take place on Wednesday, May 19th at 8pm with Sean Conroy of Jack Ryan Whiskey and Celtic Whiskey Bar's Luke Crowley Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Glendalough grand cru Burgundy pinot noir cask finish... bought sample set while back and this ended up at back of press.

Lovely stuff... long dry rich citrus finish.

Hard to pick between this and Green Spot Chateau Montelena... think the GS has more spice whereas this is richer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Just picked up a bottle of Pike Creek Canadian whiskey, rum barrel finish. Haven't had it before but heard it's really nice. Looking forward to it.

Some Teeling Renaissance Series 3 tonight. Cooley single malt aged in ex bourbon for 16.5-17 years and finished in Muscat wine casks for a further 18 months. Fruit forward. Think citrus, pear drops, mangoes etc. 46% and €140 a bottle. Enjoyable but I'm happy enough with the one sample.

Next up is some Sailors Home The Horizon 10 year old. A blend of 11 year old grain and 12 year old malt that was finished in Barbados Rum casks for 6 months. Cooley stock by the way of Great Northern Distillery. 43% and €65 a bottle. Sweet apple, caramel, spiced sugar, vanilla rum, orange zest, honey.

An easy sipper. Lightness of the grain and the rum influence comes through to create a nice summer whiskey.

Last one tonight. Have been experimenting with hot whiskey recipes the last week trying to get rid of a stubborn chest infection. The missus not too impressed with the smell of the latest one. Definitely not for the faint hearted :D

70ml of Talisker 10
    2 tablespoons of honey
    Juice of one lemon
    Lemon slice studded with cloves
    1 Star Anise
    1 cinnamon stick
    Top with hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Last one tonight. Have been experimenting with hot whiskey recipes the last week trying to get rid of a stubborn chest infection. The missus not too impressed with the smell of the latest one. Definitely not for the faint hearted :D

70ml of Talisker 10
    2 tablespoons of honey
    Juice of one lemon
    1 Star Anise
    1 cinnamon stick
    Top with hot water

Could you not get hold of a bigger cinnamon stick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

70ml of Talisker 10
    2 tablespoons of honey
    Juice of one lemon
    1 Star Anise
    1 cinnamon stick
    Top with hot water

Your germs are having a good time ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

70ml of Talisker 10
    2 tablespoons of honey
    Juice of one lemon
    1 Star Anise
    1 cinnamon stick
    Top with hot water

And, after having that would you switch anything?

And, after having that would you switch anything?

No it was nice. Did another lovely one the other night with a double shot of Jack Daniels single barrel. Based on advice/recipe Bob Dylan gave out on his radio show.

Bob Dylan’s Hot Toddy:
    "Take a mug, fill it with boiling water til’ the mug gets nice and hot. While the mug is heating up take four cloves and stickem’ in a twist of lemon. You’re gonna need them later. Empty the mug and fill it back half way with fresh boiling water. Add a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and stir it up til’ it dissolves. Drop in your lemon twist with the cloves. Squeeze about a quarter ounce of fresh lemon juice and add at least two ounces of bourbon. Now climb under the covers, put on some good soothing music, and if you have a cold; it will be gone in seven to ten days."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Bob Dylan's Heaven's Door bourbon is meant to be good. Never had it though.

Non whisky related, but there was a great pair of reviews of new Bob Dylan books by so-called "Dylanologists" (Bob Dylan biographers and experts) in the Sunday Times last week. The thrust of the article was that the long-standing Dylanologists feel they know better what Dylan means by his work than he does himself, it was quite funny. He attacked one of them for rooting through his bins apparently. Imagine how annoying that would be. A crowd of people out there pouring over everything you've ever said and done, and whatever you say, they correct it to what you really meant to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Anyone else tried the Bushmills Caribbean Rum Cask Finish?
    Not quite sure what to make of it. It's a bit of an odd one.
    Can't see it appealing to either the whiskey drinker or rum drinker.

Kinda regretting opting for it. But hey, for €30 it didn't break the bank!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

head82 wrote: »
    Anyone else tried the Bushmills Caribbean Rum Cask Finish?
    Not quite sure what to make of it. It's a bit of an odd one.
    Can't see it appealing to either the whiskey drinker or rum drinker.

Kinda regretting opting for it. But hey, for €30 it didn't break the bank!

I was planning to get a bottle as I tend to like rum cask finishes but I've not heard great reviews of this one. Might leave it til I can get a sample in a pub just.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

70ml of Talisker 10
    2 tablespoons of honey
    Juice of one lemon
    1 Star Anise
    1 cinnamon stick
    Top with hot water

That's pretty much mine too, except the star anise. Love the smell and taste.

head82 wrote:
    Anyone else tried the Bushmills Caribbean Rum Cask Finish? Not quite sure what to make of it. It's a bit of an odd one. Can't see it appealing to either the whiskey drinker or rum drinker.

Tried it a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't a fan of it at all.

Bob Dylan's Heaven's Door bourbon is meant to be good. Never had it though.

The Heavens Door Double barrel is really nice. Had a few sips of it listening to his Theme Time radio special on Whiskey. Haven't got to the rest yet. They do a 3x200ml set which I've been meaning to track down.
    Non whisky related, but there was a great pair of reviews of new Bob Dylan books by so-called "Dylanologists" (Bob Dylan biographers and experts) in the Sunday Times last week. The thrust of the article was that the long-standing Dylanologists feel they know better what Dylan means by his work than he does himself, it was quite funny. He attacked one of them for rooting through his bins apparently. Imagine how annoying that would be. A crowd of people out there pouring over everything you've ever said and done, and whatever you say, they correct it to what you really meant to say.

I nearly have as many books on Dylan as I do bottles of whiskey. He's 80 next month so there is a good few new ones out. I don't think anyone will ever nail Dylan down. His own autobiography deliberately didn't even do that. Must check out the review.

Weepsie wrote:
    That's pretty much mine too, except the star anise. Love the smell and taste.

The star anise reminded me of aniseed balls from my childhood.

Another new release launching tomorrow.

Jameson Crested Finished in Devil’s Ladder Belgian Tripel Barrel. Limited to 6000 bottles. €50 a bottle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Another new release launching tomorrow.

Jameson Crested Finished in Devil’s Ladder Belgian Tripel Barrel. Limited to 6000 bottles. €50 a bottle.

I've not had a whiskey finished with a Belgian style beer cask, would be interested to try this but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy it. I note they've upped the price from the last Crested by €5 too...

Branding is lovely as well.

• Advertisement

As hinted last week Dingle have a new release coming soon which is going to be their first ever core release. Heard it's a Single Malt matured in ex bourbon and PX Casks and the abv is 46.3%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement