Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Three Ireland 5G

11112131517

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Caspero wrote: »
    I know this is a 3 thread but given it's fairly active I thought I'd ask here: anyone had any luck using these routers with an Eir 5g bill-pay package (which you can get at 19.99 for the first 12 months SIM-only )?

    I can't get 5g on three here with my handset but I can get 5g with an Eir SIM. I'm pretty sure I won't get 5g on Three with a router either given I've taken a good walk towards the mast with a handset and don't get any 5g signal outdoors even after going a few km.

    120gb fair usage on the Eir plan though (source)...they say they will throttle after that. 120gb is not a lot but do they enforce it?

    GOMO seem to be changing prices and may be offering 5g in their new plans after Mar 31, might be worth trying if they do?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 Sunny!!


    Highest speed ive gotten in Cork so far upload has increased a lot over last couple of months!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭ Tony H


    got this text from three today ,it's the second one I've gotten in a week
    From Three. We're currently working on upgrading the network coverage and speed in your area. As a result, you may experience some disruption to your service from tomorrow for a few days

    do you think there's any chance they're upgrading the mast to 5g ? ,
    according to the coverage map for the last few months I should be getting 5g but as far as I know there's only one 5g mast in Cobh and I'm not in range of it .


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Tony H wrote: »
    got this text from three today ,it's the second one I've gotten in a week
    From Three. We're currently working on upgrading the network coverage and speed in your area. As a result, you may experience some disruption to your service from tomorrow for a few days

    do you think there's any chance they're upgrading the mast to 5g ? ,
    according to the coverage map for the last few months I should be getting 5g but as far as I know there's only one 5g mast in Cobh and I'm not in range of it .

    It could be, I used get a lot of those a few years ago for the Three "Big rollout" I've not got one in a while now.
    Usually theres a process though, they tend to upgrade the 4G first, then add 5G. this is because the 5G being rolled out is 5G NSA, it uses 4g for upload, 5G for download.
    Have you noticed any improvement in 4G speed or the addition of 4G+ recently? Also keep an eye on your speeds in the periods after the scheduled work is complete and see if you notice any improvements.


  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ feargantae


    Not sure if this is the right thread. But I'm on the old €20 plan without the 5G add on and I'm getting intermittent 5G coverage on my S21. I was able to open speedtest and it said 5G before it changed back to 4G+.

    Is this normal? I thought you only got 5G signal if you had the 5G add on?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ Caspero


    GOMO seem to be changing prices and may be offering 5g in their new plans after Mar 31, might be worth trying if they do?

    Not sure if their SIMs are 5g but given they use the Eir 4g network which has less contention here it might be an option. I had tested an Eir SIM and it worked well until it throttled once the 120gb fair use limit was reached. I see that GOMO also has a 120gb fair usage limit.

    Anyone know of routers out there where you can leave 2 or more SIMs in the device and configure it to auto-switch if speeds on one drop below a certain threshold?

    Alternatively has anyone setup a failover scenario where network connection for the client devices switches over to a 2nd router if the first router speeds drop below a given threshold? I do have a second older 4g router which I could use in such a setup.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Caspero wrote: »
    Not sure if their SIMs are 5g but given they use the Eir 4g network which has less contention here it might be an option. I had tested an Eir SIM and it worked well until it throttled once the 120gb fair use limit was reached. I see that GOMO also has a 120gb fair usage limit.

    Anyone know of routers out there where you can leave 2 or more SIMs in the device and configure it to auto-switch if speeds on one drop below a certain threshold?

    Alternatively has anyone setup a failover scenario where network connection for the client devices switches over to a 2nd router if the first router speeds drop below a given threshold? I do have a second older 4g router which I could use in such a setup.

    If they decide to offer 5g, it should be a matter of just upgrading the package, however because of the nature of the packages, it maybe necessary to buy a new sim with the 5G package provisioned.
    There are dual sim routers, but they seem to be of an industrial nature, here is a link to one available in the states:
    https://www.perle.com/products/routers-gateways/irg7000-5g-lte-routers.shtml?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsLWDBhCmARIsAPSL3_18FSMgP4qw9IXYqwZa8oIGdDlpghfk3bJlrOOKIbMFgn59g_rlUpAaAiKIEALw_wcB

    I have only given this cursory look, so it'd be worth investigating further, the bands etc, and are they suitable for use here (Access to band 78n etc).
    I dont see a price on that one, but I've a feeling they could be hovering around the $1000 mark,seeing as they are classed as enterprise, and from a feeling that I looked at these or similar some time back. That puts the CPE Pro 2 in the cheap as chips bracket..

    Here's another..............
    https://www.comms365.com/product/comms365-5g-wi-fi-router-c365-5g-h900/


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Some speedtests from my mobile today:


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ garyskeepers


    Some speedtests from my mobile today:

    jesus H Christ


  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ Cork981


    Some speedtests from my mobile today:

    Serious super site with 10Gb backhaul no doubt. That 8ms latency is just as impressive as the throughput.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Cork981 wrote: »
    Serious super site with 10Gb backhaul no doubt. That 8ms latency is just as impressive as the throughput.

    Yeah, but to be expected. it was probably only about 250 metres from Three's headquarters building on Sir John Rogersons quay.

    Where I live isn't that far from their HQ but accross the river, but my Signal there is from a different mast.

    Speeds slightly lower, ping slightly higher:


  • Registered Users Posts: 36,078 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    Yeah, but to be expected. it was probably only about 250 metres from Three's headquarters building on Sir John Rogersons quay.

    Makes sense now, that site is a bit of a monster. Not really indicative of the rest of the network.


  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ feargantae


    Hardly near the speeds @Heraldoffreeent is after getting but I'm delighted with these speeds. S21 in the south east. Can't seem to find a 5G tower near me so I'm not sure what I'm connecting to, distance-wise


  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭ thos


    weeb wrote: »
    Assuming that is a Huawei CPE Pro 1 model, that will not actually establish a connection over 5G. It will detect 5G coverage but Three will restrict it from using its 5G network. This is what Nuphor and I have experienced also.

    Sorry to come back to this, is this really the case for the CPE Pro 1? Anyone done back to back tests with known good SIMs and other handsets to confirm coverage?

    My preference is CPE Pro 1 as it has ports for the external antennas, which I don't believe the Pro 2 has.

    I have a 5G handset, working SIM, known good coverage, just looking to get a decent modem without spending a fortune.


  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ jdon72


    I live very close to a phone mast and my Three 4G signal has been completely gone over the last 2/3 days. Could this be an indicator that it’s being upgraded to 5G?


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Ocer


    Running eir 5G sim card on Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2, all good, very satisfied with speed. The only problem is no public IP address , they use 100.*.*.* IP for each connection.


  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ Caspero


    Ocer wrote: »
    Running eir 5G sim card on Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2, all good, very satisfied with speed. The only problem is no public IP address , they use 100.*.*.* IP for each connection.

    Nice one!

    FYI they'll probably throttle your speed after the first 120gb is used each month. I tried that with a 4G router and speeds were great for a while...then the router got a SMS to say we'd used our fair usage allowance and bang - speeds were terrible until the next month when the allowance reset...until that month's 120gb was used.

    Maybe you're on a different plan - would be worth doing a CTRL+F in the terms and conditions for "fair usage" to see what your limit is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Ocer


    Caspero wrote: »
    Nice one!

    FYI they'll probably throttle your speed after the first 120gb is used each month. I tried that with a 4G router and speeds were great for a while...then the router got a SMS to say we'd used our fair usage allowance and bang - speeds were terrible until the next month when the allowance reset...until that month's 120gb was used.

    Maybe you're on a different plan - would be worth doing a CTRL+F in the terms and conditions for "fair usage" to see what your limit is.

    True! even on the company's business plan, the 120G fair usage policy is a joke for the 5G era. Has a B525 4G router also running with GOMO, same policy. But after speed limitation, the speed locked on 5 Mbps, not too bad.


  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ Caspero


    Ocer wrote: »
    True! even on the company's business plan, the 120G fair usage policy is a joke for the 5G era. Has a B525 4G router also running with GOMO, same policy. But after speed limitation, the speed locked on 5 Mbps, not too bad.

    What upload speed are you seeing after throttling Ocer? I have 5-6mbps download but only 0.3 to 0.7mbps upload


  • Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb


    thos wrote: »
    Sorry to come back to this, is this really the case for the CPE Pro 1? Anyone done back to back tests with known good SIMs and other handsets to confirm coverage?

    My preference is CPE Pro 1 as it has ports for the external antennas, which I don't believe the Pro 2 has.

    I have a 5G handset, working SIM, known good coverage, just looking to get a decent modem without spending a fortune.

    Everyone else I've seen with a CPE Pro 1 have been unable to truly connect to 5G, as noted by the 4G speeds as well as the "Optimise location" feature which clearly shows zero connectivity over 5G despite the router saying it is in coverage. Unless Three changed something over the past week, the CPE Pro 1 will not connect to 5G on Three's network as of writing this.

    I am considering trading my Pro 1 for a Pro 2. Although there are no external antenna connectors, I feel like I would still get adequate 5G coverage with the router beside the window. Should be better than having no 5G connectivity at all. Hopefully there will be an easy to follow tutorial sometime on how to manually modify a CPE Pro 2 to work with an external antenna.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Ocer


    Caspero wrote: »
    What upload speed are you seeing after throttling Ocer? I have 5-6mbps download but only 0.3 to 0.7mbps upload

    Mine as well around 1/10 of 5-6mbps


  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ MrGarak


    For 5G broadband is it better to buy a router and get the 3 Prepay 20 €20 SIM with €5 5G add-on or 3 Broadband Unlimited 5G plan €45/55 on contract?

    I'm not concered about the cost of buying a router/antenna but I am about the data caps. I can see the broadband says unlimited but has a 1000GB fair usage policy, not sure about the Prepay policy? Are the caps being enforced right now? I'm used to Eir broadband where there is no enforcement of caps so don't need to worry about my allowance at all.

    Also some slightly nerdy questions about the Huawei 5G CPE Pro2. Any issues with port forwarding (virtual server) or DDNS? Does it have a VPN server option to access your LAN remotely, or only a VPN client? I was also trying to figure out if the LAN ports support Cat6 or Cat7 cables but can't find much information online?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭ FourFourRED


    I'm getting 600mbps down and 1000-1200mbps down outdoors on Three 5G on my iPhone.

    I'm considering going for the Three 5G mobile broadband - is the speed capped for the mobile broadband in anyones experience? I'm seeing a maximum of 150 Mbps on the actual contract but I'm wondering has anyone tested this and achieved better speeds?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭ Ten Pin


    I'm considering going for the Three 5G mobile broadband - is the speed capped for the mobile broadband in anyones experience? I'm seeing a maximum of 150 Mbps on the actual contract but I'm wondering has anyone tested this and achieved better speeds?

    See here for opinion on 5G in practice, especially the second paragraph...

    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117134350&postcount=92


    4G+ / LTE-A is capable of 300Mbps and higher (theoretically) and that is available on every SIM from three without paying extra for 5G plans or add ons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭ FourFourRED


    Ten Pin wrote: »
    See here for opinion on 5G in practice, especially the second paragraph...

    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117134350&postcount=92


    4G+ / LTE-A is capable of 300Mbps and higher (theoretically) and that is available on every SIM from three without paying extra for 5G plans or add ons.

    Thanks a lot. I’m in a very lucky situation where the 5G signal is from on top of the building next to me. So I’m getting 1,200mbps down on my mobile sim but I was wondering if they limit the DL speed for mobile broadband customers (as it shows in their contract).

    I’ll test it out anyway and I can cancel within 14 days if needs be.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Thanks a lot. I’m in a very lucky situation where the 5G signal is from on top of the building next to me. So I’m getting 1,200mbps down on my mobile sim but I was wondering if they limit the DL speed for mobile broadband customers (as it shows in their contract).

    I’ll test it out anyway and I can cancel within 14 days if needs be.

    No, they don't, if you're geting that on your phone, you should get that, or slightly better using the Router.

    If you buy a router privately, make sure its the CPE Pro 2. If you buy from 3, thats what they will give you. My experience with the 5G BB was OK, speeds etc were blazing fast, but it had the annoying habit of dropping the service every now and then, usually anything from 30mins to 4 hours, it caused disruption with some Apps I was using.


  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ Caspero


    it had the annoying habit of dropping the service every now and then, usually anything from 30mins to 4 hours, it caused disruption with some Apps I was using.

    I'm seeing this happen fairly frequently when connected with a Three PAYG SIM in my old Huawei SIM unlocked 4g/3g router at the moment (which is new...that didn't happen until about 3 or 4 weeks ago). Is anyone else seeing this behaviour either on 5g or 4g?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    Caspero wrote: »
    I'm seeing this happen fairly frequently when connected with a Three PAYG SIM in my old Huawei SIM unlocked 4g/3g router at the moment (which is new...that didn't happen until about 3 or 4 weeks ago). Is anyone else seeing this behaviour either on 5g or 4g?

    Don't have 5g activated on the router at the moment, only 4G, but it happens once in a blue moon, usually in the middle of the night. Last time was 4.32AM on 12/05.


  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ MrGarak


    I ended up biting the bullet on getting the CPE Pro 2 and the speeds are great on 4G. Over 4 times faster than my Eir part fibre connection in fact :rolleyes: No noticeable contention during peak times either, so the long term reliability of the 4G connection is the only question. I'll run them side by side for a while before ditching Eir. I'm impressed with the job Huawei have done with the software too.

    I agree that 5G is not great right now at any sort of distance from the mast even with a pretty clear line of sight. I am only approx 1km from a 5G mast and can't get a signal on the router indoors. I get signal on my phone if I go to the window but it's weak. The speeds were much lower than 4G on a speed test. If I go and stand close to the mast I'll get up to 600-800Mbps on the phone.

    Three were originally offering both 5G broadband packages at my address but now it's only the Pro option with the outdoor CPE Win antenna so this is a bit telling I think.
    Don't have 5g activated on the router at the moment, only 4G, but it happens once in a blue moon, usually in the middle of the night. Last time was 4.32AM on 12/05.
    What made you decide disable the 5G? You were pulling down 800Mbps on your Shield right? Was it just the connection dropping?

    Are you using a downtime monitor to detect when the connection is going down or is there a way to see it on the router? Interested to see if mine is doing the same.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ Heraldoffreeent


    MrGarak wrote: »
    I ended up biting the bullet on getting the CPE Pro 2 and the speeds are great on 4G. Over 4 times faster than my Eir part fibre connection in fact :rolleyes: No noticeable contention during peak times either, so the long term reliability of the 4G connection is the only question. I'll run them side by side for a while before ditching Eir. I'm impressed with the job Huawei have done with the software too.

    I agree that 5G is not great right now at any sort of distance from the mast even with a pretty clear line of sight. I am only approx 1km from a 5G mast and can't get a signal on the router indoors. I get signal on my phone if I go to the window but it's weak. The speeds were much lower than 4G on a speed test. If I go and stand close to the mast I'll get up to 600-800Mbps on the phone.

    Three were originally offering both 5G broadband packages at my address but now it's only the Pro option with the outdoor CPE Win antenna so this is a bit telling I think.

    What made you decide disable the 5G? You were pulling down 800Mbps on your Shield right? Was it just the connection dropping?

    Are you using a downtime monitor to detect when the connection is going down or is there a way to see it on the router? Interested to see if mine is doing the same.

    Well, I have a 20 euro sim for 4g on the pld Prepaid plan, that allows me top up by 20 euro, get all you can eat data, and then spend the credit on disney plus, Magellan, Google books etc, and the speeds are 200Mb/300Mb.

    I bought a prepaid sim with 5g for a month to test it out, and the speeds were fantastic, but the intermittent cut out was annoying, and if I go for the 5g package, I lose the capability to use the credit.

    On the Huawei Router app it just shows the time of connection resetting to zero. Didnt use a downtime monitor.


Advertisement