Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Caspero wrote: »
    Wow I wasn't aware you could do that. How do you do it - through the mobile app?

It worked for years on the old €20 Topup plan, its no longer an option on the new pland. You have to setit up as a payment method on Google pay. Theres a thread on hereaboyt all about this.

Edit:
    Here you go.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057869861

MrGarak wrote: »
    I wonder is the 5G cutting out a router thing or a 5G signal thing. Hopefully something that Huawei can fix with an update...

I don't know if it makes a difference but might help – when I inserted the SIM it seemed to set up the network using the old O2 APN details so I added the Three APN details manually and set that profile as active just in case.

As far as I can remeber, Mine set up as 3internet, not at home today, so can't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Has anyone here tried the ZTE 5G CPE MC801A vs HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro2 on Three?

Or even the OPPO 5G CPE T1 ?

I'm temped to just go with the CPE Pro2 and know it works on Three, but will need to check 5G coverage here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

I can recommend the CPE Pro 2 anyway. I was a bit skeptical of Huawei coming from an Asus router but mines been great so far. If you can get a 5G signal indoors on your phone and a speed test shows decent speeds, then signal/speeds should be good on the CPE Pro 2. I'm only using 4G on mine and getting 160-200 Mbps down and 50-65 Mbps up, delighted with those speeds. I'd say mileage could vary a lot between masts...

One thing I didn't know with Three broadband, if you want to access devices in your LAN remotely it is not straightforward. Three is using CGNAT and assigns you a private IP. You are behind double NAT so can't even use DDNS to connect to your router remotely, you have to tunnel in. I can't imagine most people will need this but it was a pain for me and is worth mentioning IMO.

Judging by this post on the Three Community, they might be looking to change this situation (maybe by enabling the use of ipv6 instead of their half-arsed ipv4 approach, who knows).

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'm starting to pick up 5G on the old €20 plan. Getting speeds of about 400Mb down, but the coverage is very intermittent and different from the other 5G plan i had where i was getting ~900Mb down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

feargantae wrote: »
    I'm starting to pick up 5G on the old €20 plan. Getting speeds of about 400Mb down, but the coverage is very intermittent and different from the other 5G plan i had where i was getting ~900Mb down

Just 4g+ for me on old plan, have a Xiaomi note 9t

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I've seen coments around the difference between 5g and 4g+
    My understanding is that not all three 4g cells will be 4g+
    Is that correct?
    If so, what's the best way to check before upgrading my router?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Nuphor

ArrBee wrote: »
    I've seen coments around the difference between 5g and 4g+
    My understanding is that not all three 4g cells will be 4g+
    Is that correct?
    If so, what's the best way to check before upgrading my router?

Cheers

Easiest way I've found is:

- View nearby sites on https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/
    - Look for sites where there are multiple Three towers. If you see two Three towers, one with a "3_" prefix, one with "THREE_", you can be fairly certain that site serves 4G+
    - 5G sites _should_ have "NR" in the services area

Nuphor wrote: »
    Easiest way I've found is:

- View nearby sites on https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/
    - Look for sites where there are multiple Three towers. If you see two Three towers, one with a "3_" prefix, one with "THREE_", you can be fairly certain that site serves 4G+
    - 5G sites _should_ have "NR" in the services area

Is that reliable as a method?

The closest site to me has both THREE_ and 3_ variants, is there any chance it is not serving 4G+??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

The closest site to me has both THREE_ and 3_ variants, is there any chance it is not serving 4G+??

Download the nperf app its very reliable and accurate shows you the coverage 3g 4g 4g+ and 5g of providers in your area.I use this all the time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Nuphor

Pretty reliable. Obviously nothing quite beats setting up a router or phone and checking. Most of Huawei routers will show a switch to 4G+ for instance when you're downloading something large, but likewise won't show 4G+ all the time.

Nuphor wrote: »
    Pretty reliable. Obviously nothing quite beats setting up a router or phone and checking. Most of Huawei routers will show a switch to 4G+ for instance when you're downloading something large, but likewise won't show 4G+ all the time.

I don't have a capable router yet and looking to justify upgrading if the site serves 4g+.

I should be able to borrow a suitable phone though so could check with that.

Other people's data in nperf suggests there are pockets of coverage nearby...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

As Three Ireland's H1 financial results were released this morning; they made an announcement today that they are to invest €27 million into their retail stores here to promote an "connected lifestyle experience". I'm guessing that money is being used to promote the increasing benefits of using 5G products while providing new product lines from their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭jeffk

Out in Kildare village yesterday and got 5G even though on the old E20 keep your credit plan.

Never got it before (on Android 12 beta and can't turn off 5G like I usually do) and usually have it off

Be curious to see if get it again in other places now I can't turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

No I didn't

I'd think about it if you could use credit you have over

Got 5G for a spilt second in Drogheda at the new Mr.Price

Weird how randomly i happen to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

I went into three shop in Kilkenny l10 days ago to upgrade to 5g €45 plan. Was told my address does not qualify although I can get it on iPhone 12. The transmitter is on Glencaum a hill between Graiguenamanagh and Thomastown. Rang three customer care at three and was told yes it was available. Funny it shows it’s available on their coverage map, which is not up to date. Went back in today and was told again that I could not get on the plan as it’s not available at my eircode address and in fairness to the three assistant in the shop, I was able to see yes he was correct. Where would you go from there? Talk about encouraging us to CONNECT!! Am thinking of getting a router HUAWEI CPE pro 2 from Poland on eBay. Anyone got one from there?

I read from the indo tonight that Three Ireland are increasing their prices by 4.5% in their bill pay contract plans from next April. There will be no price increases for pay as you go users.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting, it looks like sim only contracts and possibly those in contract not upgrading not affected but that's just what I'm reading from the article 🤔, personally I gave up on long term contracts years ago, makes absolutely no logical or financial sense unless someone needs device to be subsidised I guess.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Was anyone here affected with Three's outage during the week. I didn't really notice it that much until Dublin Live had a story about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Was thinking of upgrading to 5G was on the chat to a customer service rep and gave him the go ahead and he sent me the t&c’s. Said cant keep credit.

i use my phone for internet and 1 call a day to a landline.

Not too bothered about keeping the credit. But can i use the credit on a month to month basis like for ringing a landline checking voice mail and texting a charity to donate a few quid

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Nice one. Will give it a miss so.

How do you make a voice call to landline then. Do you have to top up more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Apologies if not the place to ask but what APN settings should I be using to get 5G from Three. Just paid 25 quid for a PAYG Sim with the 5 Euro 5G 28 Days Data and I'm about 1km from a 5G enabled three mast but only getting 4G and 4G+. And yes my phone is 5G capable :) I've a Xiaomi Redmi K30 Pro. In the settings on the phone I can select to use 'NR' only which I believe would be 5G only but when I select it I immediately get no data. Have to go back to NR/LTE to then get 4G/4G+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Thanks. Is that the APN address yeah? Any proxy/port or other settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You support n78 so should be able to link.

Forcing NR may not work in an NSA deployment, you need the 4G link too. Go closer. B3 LTE will be far more attractive than n78 NR at range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishWhiskey

Does anyone know if installing one of Three's antenna dishes for 5G would void the homebond warranty on a new house? I'm worried it might due to drilling the outer concrete wall that would likey need to happen

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement