Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

So got myself a 5g phone , currently on hero plan 15euro. The 5g speeds are slow to non existent around Waterford city. The 4g not much better. Only reason I switched to 3 is that I couldn't get signal in work on Gomo. 😁 Gomo was flyin for me around town was gettin about 80mbs easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Was on the hero plan too and first 3 weeks the speeds were great at home but final week off 28 days cupid hardly load a webpage.

Customer service useless. Kept trying to blame my handset even though if I travel a few kms up the road I get full coverage again. Week onto customer service got me nowhere so going to have to go back to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Some speeds there...What device are you using?

Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful 5g router? Have a 3g/4g router at the moment and would upgrade if it meant above speeds and decent coverage of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Anyone know if the new hero plan supports 5G roaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭zoom_cool

Are you still getting good speed thinking of going with this 5G option

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BringerOfRainX1

I've been getting good speeds on average around 120-180mbps. Max it goes is around 250mbps. In the evenings at peak times it does go under 100mbps often. I'm about 9km away from the nearest mast but I'm on top of a high hill so that helps. It's definitely a massive upgrade over 4G+ anyway which was anywhere between 10 to 80mbps.

Post edited by BringerOfRainX1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Can anyone tell me if this auto renews or do you have to keep topping it up ?

Also anyone using this in a router full time without any issues or is it a no no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BringerOfRainX1

You can set it to auto renew with my3. Yeah it works fine in a router been testing it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

off hand - Does Three offer 'try before your buy' (context: home BB with 5g router)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I believe you get a 14 day cooling off period to return it no strings attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Online purchase only , in all other cases you have to prove persistent network issue which might be hard as their thresholds are quite low

https://community.three.ie/t5/Handsets-Devices/Returning-a-Device/ta-p/687750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

speeds are brutal .. 48 and gomo on 4g are much faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Yea in my area GOMO is far better (Have that on my mobile) but I want a sim for the internet router so would be data heavy-ish and might go over 120Gb, Speeds where shocking on €15 package and i went back to the old sim with €20 a month and its faster but not up to GOMO speeds (Masts are around same distance away so its not like gomo is closer),

Speeds with my €15 was around 1-3/4Mb and on the €20 sim its around 10/11 around peak time, At night 12am) they would be 6/7Mb on €15 to 30/40Mb on €20 but I needed it for work so 1/2 or 3 Mb wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭emy

I moved from Tesco to Three, €20 (3 Prepay 20) and a phone, the speed is very good in Blanch, 173/19Mb upload. I am thinking whether to keep virgin media or to get rid of it. When going shopping with tesco mobile I had no coverage at all in some of the shops, with three the signal stays steady on 5G everywhere. Is it valid that the 3 Prepay Hero has lower 5G speed compared with 3 Prepay 20? I was thinking to go for 3 Prepay Hero and add €5 add-on 100 int minutes, it will suit my needs, if the 3 Prepay Hero has lower speed I ll stick with 20 plan for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When going shopping with tesco mobile I had no coverage at all in some of the shops, with three the signal stays steady on 5G everywhere

This should not be the case, they're using the same radios and 5G is generally poor indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭emy

Contrary the 5g is very good indoors, really impressed so far. The IPTV works very well connected on my phone's Hotspot.

Im on the old 20E/mo deal (keep the credit and get the AYCE data) but started to latch 5G cells on NYE passing through Dublin. We weren't meant to get that.... 300 odd meg down while footfall was very high. Can't fault that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Three Ireland is to offer 5G as standard on all plans, at no extra cost.

Customers will receive a text message when it's activated on their account. A compatible phone is required.

5G uptake is low, according to Comreg, with only 796k customers in Ireland using the service from their network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭feargantae

Great news! Effective 16 Jan.

I used to get close to 1Gb down on 5G. Wonder how much it'll be now once everyone has 5G access as standard, phone dependent of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What would happen to customers using their 4G service. Will they still access it as usual from the 16th?

If you live in an area with 5G and have a 5G compatible phone then you'll have 5G data instead which will be a lot faster than 4G.

If you don't then no change. 4G as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭thebo

Is distance from mast worse for 5g?

I'm a bit away from mast so only get between 3-10mb on 4g.

Will 5g benefit much as I believe it has lower range than 4g.

Wondering if should get 5g phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Depends if your mast has 5G or not - I just found out the hard way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A phone with 4G+ (CA - carrier aggregation) is capable of 200+Mbps which should be sufficient for most applications (IMO).

If a mast doesn't have 4G+ then it probably hasn't got 5G either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have to get a new phone this year. I am trying to get one via the 3 Plus app. However the app is not redirecting me to get new 5G phones when I hit the upgrade now button. It is leading me to a blank page which may indicate that they maybe sold out.

It is on the Three offers section in the app. There are some phones on offer with 5G via the 3 website. Does the 3Plus app give people a code to purchase a phone from there?

I have to change current Nokia phone as it has hit a problem with it's screen. The top end of the phone screen has been hanging off from inside the casing of the handset since Thursday night. The battery charger is beginning to fail on me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Would take alot to grease 200Mbps in a house . Gaming would be the only problem if there were multiple streams .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Excellent, I never want to leave my 3 legacy plan so this is a fantastic cherry on top for staying

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sibieeeee

@machiavellianme Just have a chat with Three support and they will activate it now. I just did it on my three prepay plan and getting amazing speeds in Naas town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Just off the chat to them via my3 app and have it now thanks

352 in Blanchardstown (indoors if makes difference)

6.89 on 4g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Andrew93

Is there specific better phones for 5G than others?

Could someone enlighten me on this please.

To a degree, yes. Return on investment drops as you go higher in the spec sheets.

S20 Ultra

HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps, 5G (5+ Gbps DL)

Oneplus Nord

HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA) Cat18 1200/150 Mbps, 5G

Generally most of the phones are running better tech than the carriers in Ireland so mostly it doesnt matter as long as the phones chipset is pretty recent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Still not showing up on mine, old fashion €30 30day rolling bill pay. There was indicator as "5G" (lit or dull) once was testing with prepay+add on - nothing like that on this SIM.

might need to go closer to mast at some point....

I was getting in Dublin city center but not the burbs so only a subset may be on so far though it would be weird to regionalise it.

Not for me yet on the old €20 plan. In a location where I'd get 5G on a diff plan with the add on.

M50 and South Dublin yesterday.

I'm curious if the % of Three users that are/will be 5G eligible has changed much. If 80% had 5G already the change should be minor but if only 30% had the change might be noticeable to those already on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

What did you ask for? They wouldn't do it for me said it's not for the old plans.

Automatic. Just appeared NYE.

Tried forcing 5G and just got no service altogether so I guess it hasn't been activated yet for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm still on LTE/LTE+ here in Dublin City. Very close to masts so I don't think it has been activated yet.

I am on a corporate plan, so maybe it is different for us, or not turned on for us at the moment from an plan administrator level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

It still needs to be added on the individual line for it to work.

They are supposedly adding it automatically to everyone "over the coming months" but if you get in touch with support they can add it there and then.

Same with VoLTE - it is being gradually rolled out across all accounts, but if you contact them they can add it there and then and after a few hours the phone will remain on 4G instead of dropping back to 3G to make/take calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Won't add it for me unless I change to a plan where you loose your credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And there's a lot of non 5G handsets out there. It's only this year that mid range is nearly all 5G compatible.

I asked on live chat could they add 5G to my account and they said they can only charge for add ons over live chat, the "backend team" will add the 5G to my account within the next 24 hours.

Fingers crossed!

Somewhat true.

I bought my current handset from Three for €160 in Dec 2020 and its got a fairly lovely QC radio in it. Not top of the line now, but certainly able to leverage the new RAN. When you consider the iPhone 12 is 5G enabled and how many teens etc are gimme an iphone or give me death Id say a large portion of the customer base are capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

My monthly 5g booster add on whatever they call it now 5 euro extra to my monthly 20 euro has run out and I'm stuck with 4g. There's no option online or in the crappy my3 app to add the 5g booster anymore. Only rubbish like US\Canada 100min or roaming data it's just gone

Oh wait I literally just got a text from them...

From Three. Free 5G Access has been successfully applied to your account. Check your allowances and balances at 3.ie/My3

Still only have 4g though

Restart your phone, and confirm you're in a known 5G area. Alternatively you can download an Android app called ForceLTE and temporarily force 5G only (known as NR) and see if that works

• Advertisement

Tried that already and I use that force app from time to time it's not working.

I've noticed since Xmas the 5g has gotten slower than 4g 6 months ago. All the teenagers in the area must have gotten 5g photos for Xmas

Advertisement