Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Caspero wrote: »
    Nice, is that with the CPE Pro 2?

No, I've not tried that yet.(I'm on call for work at the moment, and I've a few other numbers diverted to the 5G sim to avoid carrying a few phones around). It was on a Oneplus 8 Mobile. The phone isn't the greatest, but one of the things I noticed was that when I tether, and check the speed on the tethered device, It only shows about 60-100Mb on Wi-Fi, whereas the phone is showing 5-600Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

No, I've not tried that yet.(I'm on call for work at the moment, and I've a few other numbers diverted to the 5G sim to avoid carrying a few phones around). It was on a Oneplus 8 Mobile. The phone isn't the greatest, but one of the things I noticed was that when I tether, and check the speed on the tethered device, It only shows about 60-100Mb on Wi-Fi, whereas the phone is showing 5-600Mb.

Interesting, so if I understand correctly you're saying you get 60-100mb speed when using Wifi to tether right?

Have you tried USB tethering with a USB 3.0 slot on the PC side? I guess USB 1.0 speeds might also be a constraint.

On a related topic, Wifi 6 would be good for any 5g router...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Anyone know if the comreg site viewer map is updated with 5g sites?

I went into the three shop and they said my eircode was not available for 5g.
    The nearest site to me is a three site and their own map suggests that 5g should be available to me....

ArrBee wrote: »
    Anyone know if the comreg site viewer map is updated with 5g sites?

I went into the three shop and they said my eircode was not available for 5g.
    The nearest site to me is a three site and their own map suggests that 5g should be available to me....

My experience is that neither the three shop staff or three's map was accurate in my case :)

The staff told me there was no 5g in my county, which was wrong. The map says there is 5g everywhere around where I live, but it's really only available near the masts.

Unfortunately I think that just leaves us with the only accurate option being to test the location ourselves with a 5g device and a payg SIM card with the 5g add-on. Even that won't work though unless it's a device that has been enabled on the Three 5g network. For example I stood right next to their 5g mast near me with a Galaxy S10 5G model and it didn't work. After a lot of calls to support it turned out they hadn't enabled that device for use on their 5g network yet. Wasn't prioritised because it's not one they're selling with their 5g plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I rang Three a couple of months ago as from the map online my house was shown to be covered. I was then told by customer service that they have a different map in front of them to what's online and that I wasn't in fact covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

s_carnage wrote: »
    I rang Three a couple of months ago as from the map online my house was shown to be covered. I was then told by customer service that they have a different map in front of them to what's online and that I wasn't in fact covered.

Same.
    Clearly there are two maps. One for the media which says how great their 5g network is, and the real map. Other than dublin city centre, I can't see any areas where 5g broadband is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

My experience is that neither the three shop staff or three's map was accurate in my case :)

The staff told me there was no 5g in my county, which was wrong. The map says there is 5g everywhere around where I live, but it's really only available near the masts.

Unfortunately I think that just leaves us with the only accurate option being to test the location ourselves with a 5g device and a payg SIM card with the 5g add-on. Even that won't work though unless it's a device that has been enabled on the Three 5g network. For example I stood right next to their 5g mast near me with a Galaxy S10 5G model and it didn't work. After a lot of calls to support it turned out they hadn't enabled that device for use on their 5g network yet. Wasn't prioritised because it's not one they're selling with their 5g plans.

I get all that.
    I'm hoping to identify the location of 5g masts.

How did you work out which masts were 5g enabled when it wasn't giving you a 5g connection?

ArrBee wrote: »
    How did you work out which masts were 5g enabled when it wasn't giving you a 5g connection?

The same as what s_carnage said above. I rang customer service. They said they have a different map to what's shown on the Three website (which as an aside is pretty conclusive proof that the Three website is just false advertising!).Customer service told me which masts in my area were 5g enabled. I then went and stood near the mast with my device to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

So i bought a brand new PAYG Three sim with the 5G add on, placed in brand new out of the box Realme 7 5G phone this evening

The auto configured APN is

544047.jpg

However the phone does not seem to have 5G as an option..

544048.jpg

I called three, they said everything was configured correctly however the back end team would have to "do something" and would text me when I could expect to be able to use 5G...

That was at 5.00 today.. no text yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

celtic_oz wrote: »
    So i bought a brand new PAYG Three sim with the 5G add on, placed in brand new out of the box Realme 7 5G phone this evening

544047.jpg

544048.jpg

I called three, they said everything was configured correctly however the back end team would have to "do something" and would text me when I could expect to be able to use 5G...

Below is what works for me dont know if its anyhelp.

• Advertisement

544047.jpg

544048.jpg

Have you tried to change the APN to 3ireland.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

edit: NVM realised its the wrong thread for this question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Trying to get my head around how it auto filled as O2 Ireland, a network that hasn't existed in 7 years.

Best I can come up with is that the cell tower you are connected to is one of their old ones that 3 have taken over. When it looks for default interest settings, those are the ones that that cell tower provides.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Trying to get my head around how it auto filled as O2 Ireland, a network that hasn't existed in 7 years.

Best I can come up with is that the cell tower you are connected to is one of their old ones that 3 have taken over. When it looks for default interest settings, those are the ones that that cell tower provides.

Was a bit perplexed by that also, rang Three again .. they said they have still not heard from the "back end team" and there was nothing that can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Realme effed up is all. Technically 02 is valid for 272-05 but it shouldnt be the default.

ED E wrote: »
    Realme effed up is all. Technically 02 is valid for 272-05 but it shouldnt be the default.

Called three again they have a "strike request no." ? issued for this phone and nothing can be done until the back end team respond to it. :(

Called three again they have a "strike request no." ? issued for this phone and nothing can be done until the back end team respond to it. :(

It takes ages...when I was doing the same with a different 5g device I found that it's worth calling every few days because they can send a chaser to remind the back end team to do whatever they need to do to enable the device for use on their 5g network.

Thought people in this thread might know the answer to this question - not related to Three but has the same goal in mind as what some of the people here are doing with 5g routers.

Can you tether with Eir?

If I understand correctly the way SIM-unlocked mobile routers work for making internet accessible to local network devices over Wifi/Ethernet is by tethering.

I ask because the Eir 5g map covers my house but the Three 5g map does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

do not trust the maps

BArra wrote: »
    do not trust the maps

ya i wouldn't either - going to test with a monthly simo plan.

• Advertisement

thanks .. N28 + N78 is on this phone so should be perfect

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001895947193.html

specs : 5G NR: n1/n3/n5/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n40/n41/n77/n78

Three eventually came back and said they do not support 5G phones not sold by them and the following are definitely not supported

Realme
    Oppo
    Oneplus
    Xiaomi
    Redmi

Nothing can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Three have binned the 5g router fee.

It is now free when signing up for a contract.

Three eventually came back and said they do not support 5G phones not sold by them and the following are definitely not supported

Realme
    Oppo
    Oneplus
    Xiaomi
    Redmi

Nothing can be done.

I had hoped that this would be solved with a firmware update.

Absolutely ridiculous stance, I forked out to get a Oneplus 8 largely due to its 5G capability.

Realme
    Oppo
    Oneplus
    Xiaomi
    Redmi

Nothing can be done.
    I had hoped that this would be solved with a firmware update.

Absolutely ridiculous stance, I forked out to get a Oneplus 8 largely due to its 5G capability.

I have Three 5g working on both oneplus 8 and a Xiaomi Mi 10T.

It works better on the Xiaomi as both sim slots are 5g, and its also capable of accepting calls while data is forced to 5G, but the Oneplus does still work on 5g.

I have Three 5g working on both oneplus 8 and a Xiaomi Mi 10T.

It works better on the Xiaomi as both sim slots are 5g, and its also capable of accepting calls while data is forced to 5G, but the Oneplus does still work on 5g.

Oh interesting, I haven't taken out a 5g plan partly due to the worry that it wouldnt work on my phone, but also that I am wfh (like most of us) so just use wifi.

I am paying €8 a month at the moment with 48 and getting 4g+ speeds of over 100mb so I'm not as pushed for 5G as I was when I bought the phone.

Oh interesting, I haven't taken out a 5g plan partly due to the worry that it wouldnt work on my phone, but also that I am wfh (like most of us) so just use wifi.

I am paying €8 a month at the moment with 48 and getting 4g+ speeds of over 100mb so I'm not as pushed for 5G as I was when I bought the phone.

In a similar position re WFH, but I'm just keen to get it coz its there. One of my offices is beside three's HQ, So i get in there once a month, and testing, I'm getting 900Mb/s to 1250Mb/s. The other office is down by Trinity, slightly patchier there, but getting 5/600Mb/s generally. In the Apt I'm getting 6/700 on the Balcony and 4/500 inside.

Nice, is that with the CPE Pro 2?

So I got a chance earlier to try the €20 plus €5 addon 5g sim card in the Huawei 5g cpe2.
    Stuck the card in, gave it about thirty seconds and I got green lights in all three display indicators (telling me I had 5g signal).

So I plugged in an ethernet cable to my Nvidia Sheild, and at the same time, connected a laptop wirelessly from about 10 feet away.

Management page showed me I had 5g download and 4g upload (which is par for the course for 5G NSA)

Speeds on the shield wired were 800Mb/s download and 70Mb/s upload.

Speeds on wireless were about 470-640 Download.

So, the 3 PAYG sim in a 5G router works, and you don't have to buy the router from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,489 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So I got a chance earlier to try the €20 plus €5 addon 5g sim card in the Huawei 5g cpe2.

Did you buy the router or just grab a lend of one?

Seems to be a severe lack of proper 5G routers on the market at the moment.

Boggles wrote: »
    Did you buy the router or just grab a lend of one?

Seems to be a severe lack of proper 5G routers on the market at the moment.

I bought it from a retailer in Germany back in November, I was dissappointed that although the 3 map showed me having service, I couldn't get 5g. That changed about 3/4 weeks ago though, when I noticed 5g appearing on my Phone.There was some discussion here about whether Three were only whitelisting devices sold by themselves, so that is the context.
    This is the retailer I bought from:

https://www.sotel.de

First one I bought was more or less DOA, but they replaced it, second one worked fine.

• Advertisement

I bought it from a retailer in Germany back in November, I was dissappointed that although the 3 map showed me having service, I couldn't get 5g. That changed about 3/4 weeks ago though, when I noticed 5g appearing on my Phone.There was some discussion here about whether Three were only whitelisting devices sold by themselves, so that is the context.
    This is the retailer I bought from:

https://www.sotel.de

First one I bought was more or less DOA, but they replaced it, second one worked fine.

Great news, thanks for sharing Herald.

That's the H122-373 right? Am I right in thinking that router
    • Has Wifi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax)
    • Has no external antenna ports?

Advertisement