Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Murphy TD resigns...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I have more respect for him now than before, not many TDs give up living off the public teat willingly and also the influence that it brings.

He will get a large severance payment of at least €50,000 I believe.

He will also be entitled to a pension due to his time as Minister and TD.

The gravy train keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I was in the RDS count centre when he was returned in the last election. The boos and slurs from a certain cohort was disgusting.

Who would want to be a politician in this day and age? Not me.

would this be the same crowd who booed Michael McDowell in 2007 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Kivaro wrote: »
    This would be a good opportunity for a protest vote against this shambolic coalition government.

Not in Dublin Bay South. They'd be status quo people.

Interesting to see whether FF contest and how SD & Labour do but FG/Kate should take the seat.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can't see FG losing this seat in a by-election. I can see FF and maybe the Green's standing aside and letting FG have a clear run at it.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Hazel, as a woman from a minority ethnic background, I reckon that's a safe bet.

the only sure thing is she will be guarenteed a lot of media support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hopefully a housing minister who is good will push through the right to housing and everyone who wants a subsidised house gets one.

He never wanted to give all of those who demanded a house their wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mr Murphy, who worked in the UN system previously, is returning to a role in international affairs.
    Better pay and more glory I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Floppybits wrote: »
    Can't see FG losing this seat in a by-election. I can see FF and maybe the Green's standing aside and letting FG have a clear run at it.

Why would they stand aside? It’s at least a chance to build a candidate’s profile for the future though I do agree it’s a safe FG seat... unless Hazel Chu gives it a good rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

How common is it for a TD to bail out a year after being elected? If I was one of his constituents I'd feel a bit duped.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He’s on Claire Byrne at the moment

He says he has his eye on a job that’s related to his degree

He says he didn’t feel right applying for jobs in his TDs office in Leinster house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I honestly don't blame him, he was on a loser from day one, trying to fix a complete sh1tshow of a situation - a dreadful hospital pass.

No matter what he did he would have been criticized.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

elefant wrote: »
    How common is it for a TD to bail out a year after being elected?
    It's his third term and life circumstance change for TDs just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How common is it for a TD to bail out a year after being elected? If I was one of his constituents I'd feel a bit duped.

Are you saying people shouldn't have the right to resign if they wish too?

The chu chu train leaves the station now

destination

Cushy number
    Leinster house
    Kildare st
    Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Are you saying people shouldn't have the right to resign if they wish too?

If the decision is just a change in career direction, I'd have some qualms around a public representative just pulling out. I'm not saying it's not his right. People voted for him to be their TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Dear God,

We have a by-election in 6 months....if your really up there, please anyone but a Green fruitcake....the country is still reeling from this pandemic, the last thing it needs is a green fruitcake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How common is it for a TD to bail out a year after being elected?

It's becoming more common. Murphy's star has fallen, and while he could've been considered a future contender for leadership, without a ministers portfolio it is going to be a long march and rehabilitation back to the top. So just like Brian Hayes, he's voted no this - an easier life exists elsewhere for him.

If he had got a ministry, even a minor one, he wouldn't be resigning today.

It's becoming more common. Murphy's star has fallen, and while I've could be considered a future contender for leadership, without a ministers portfolio it is going to be a long march and rehabilitation back to the top. So just like Brian Hayes, he's voted no this - an easier life exists elsewhere for him.

If he had got a ministry, even a minor one, he wouldn't be resigning today.

He was overlooked for a ministerial role. I’d say it was a shock to the system for him.

He would’ve loved foreign affairs but Coveney has that sewn up

He will get a large severance payment of at least €50,000 I believe.

He will also be entitled to a pension due to his time as Minister and TD.

The gravy train keeps on giving.
    since when is €50k a large severance payment and when is a severance payment = pension earned.
    You picked that number out of your @rse.
    as a TD for only 10 years and full Minister for only three years his termination/payment will be modest enough considering the time served.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Murphs going to the UN before the Leak takes the spot.

A woke run off twix Hazel and Kate to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Why would they stand aside? It’s at least a chance to build a candidate’s profile for the future though I do agree it’s a safe FG seat... unless Hazel Chu gives it a good rattle.
    Because GP and FF don't want a candidate to be elected.
    Hazel Chu would have a chance of being elected and there's no way that the Greens would get 2 seats in the next general election. If they ran two candidates they may not even get a single seat.
    Same with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I was in the RDS count centre when he was returned in the last election. The boos and slurs from a certain cohort was disgusting.

Who would want to be a politician in this day and age? Not me.

My heart bleeds for him.

My heart bleeds for him.
    boards.ie attracts more than its share of mean spirited people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Because GP and FF don't want a candidate to be elected.
    Hazel Chu would have a chance of being elected and there's no way that the Greens would get 2 seats in the next general election. If they ran two candidates they may not even get a single seat.
    Same with FF.

And Jim will want to safeguard his FF seat for GE.Next - he will have a struggle.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's his second term and life circumstance change for TDs just like everyone else.

third term i thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

The Housing gig is only a tough gig because the policies that are being implemented are so short sighted... the Health gig is a far tougher nut to crack and I have no idea why anyone would want that portfolio.

1. work out one simple proper objective to actually improve the provision of health -e.g. reduce /organise waiting lists / eliminate hospitals infecting patients / extended hours for non emergency treatment or tests.
    2. work with all the people that will facilitate that.

Precisely the opposite of what our last two "Ministers" for Health were at.
    "Minister" Murphy could have learned this little trick, rather than RSing about trying to impress people with his command of social media

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Has to be held within 6 months; is there a possibility they'll move to have it in June? Or will COVID push it out to September.

SF and other 'left wing' parties as well as Renua got nearly 33% of the vote last time out. With some disaffected GP voters is there a chance for SF to get another seat if they do well on transfers? Or will they want one as it means running two candidates next time out and Chris Andrews might not want that?

Who would they run? Lynn Boylan?

Kate O'Connell has to be favourite. A woman hell bent on shoving more of the taxpayers money into the pockets of pharmacists and private hospitals will get a good backing from certain quarters.

Hazel Chu has no chance, but she'll run. It will be interesting to see her reaction and who she blame when she loses. Expect more internal fighting in the Greens.

Should be fun.

1. work out one simple proper objective to actually improve the provision of health -e.g. reduce /organise waiting lists / eliminate hospitals infecting patients / extended hours for non emergency treatment or tests.
    2. work with all the people that will facilitate that.

Precisely the opposite of what our last two "Ministers" for Health were at.
    "Minister" Murphy could have learned this little trick, rather than RSing about trying to impress people with his command of social media
    your plan failed on point 2 as it requires cooperation from those who are happy with the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The worst minister and I'm including Stephen Donnelly who more projects haplessness than is a simple incompetent like Eoghan Murphy. All the tents and the ever growing ranks despairing homeless men and woman are his legacy. Now moving to some NGO sinecure where he'll get 100k.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    He should never have been put into such a crucial portfolio as Housing with so little experience.

Totally out of his depth.

Where does someone gain experience as a Housing Minister?...
    Or what about Health?

Also you do know the Minsters dont actually run the Departments?.
    The Secretary Generals run the Departments with the Assistant Secretarys under them.. the Government and Ministers would have very little input.

Advertisement