Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nothing to add to the other inputs so far other than that's sh*te...plain and simple...frustrating. Only thing to add Younganne on Boards has been through years of plantar so her log is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Nothing to add to the other inputs so far other than that's sh*te...plain and simple...frustrating. Only thing to add Younganne on Boards has been through years of plantar so her log is worth a look.

I have avoided it because I'm trying to turn a blind eye to the fact it's often years :(

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I have avoided it because I'm trying to turn a blind eye to the fact it's often years :(

Yeah I get you.......and I wont follow up with other examples of a couple of buddies of mine..There's obviously good news stories too. Is it a myth that certain shoes can help? Thought i had seen kellygirl have success with Hoka?

Yeah I get you.......and I wont follow up with other examples of a couple of buddies of mine..There's obviously good news stories too. Is it a myth that certain shoes can help? Thought i had seen kellygirl have success with Hoka?

There are plenty of theories for the cause, one of which is shoes. Likewise people have found relief in many ways, one of which is shoes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

There are plenty of theories for the cause, one of which is shoes. Likewise people have found relief in many ways, one of which is shoes. :pac:

Carbon plates just to walk to the shop :(

Carbon plates just to walk to the shop :(

Funnily enough the new style of shoe is an issue that has been raised. Many of them reduce dorsiflexion which gives the benefit of less fatigue by reducing the work that the calf does. There are questions ( which will only be answered over time) as to whether other links in the chain are being asked to do too much to compensate....

Funnily enough the new style of shoe is an issue that has been raised. Many of them reduce dorsiflexion which gives the benefit of less fatigue by reducing the work that the calf does. There are questions ( which will only be answered over time) as to whether other links in the chain are being asked to do too much to compensate....

Interesting.. For me, I've no doubt my previous knee issues are linked too. All my injuries are on the same right side. Certain muscles are working harder than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Interesting.. For me, I've no doubt my previous knee issues are linked too. All my injuries are on the same right side. Certain muscles are working harder than others.

I'm the very same. All my injuries occur on my right side. A simple test such as balancing on one leg makes it blatantly clear that my left leg is stronger. The cure I believe is to do a lot of single leg strengthening exercises to make sure you are isolating and working that weaker side, otherwise the stronger side will just compensate so lots of single leg squats etc.

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm the very same. All my injuries occur on my right side. A simple test such as balancing on one leg makes it blatantly clear that my left leg is stronger. The cure I believe is to do a lot of single leg strengthening exercises to make sure you are isolating and working that weaker side, otherwise the stronger side will just compensate so lots of single leg squats etc.

Thanks good advice. I'd imagine a slow-mo of my gait would look like a horror film.

I wasn’t going to bother with updates on the log as long as I just ticking away with easy miles. I will give it a go though as it may help with the motivation.

There is not much to mention in terms of running. I did around 20 miles last week and will be something similar over 4 days this week. I added a nice little progress 5 mile run on Wednesday getting down to MP with relative comfort. I’m suppose to keep it easy but that was a frustrating working day and it was either that or open a bottle of whiskey.

There has been a little bit more comfort with the foot when walking this week. I’m not sure if that’s simply down to the fact I’m running less at the minute. It could potentially be down to a few things. There is a notable difference how it feels depending on the footwear I wear running or walking. I’m now wearing a new fancy pair of cushioned slippers around the house all the time. I disliked the pegaus37 for running because they felt too tight on my feet. It took me nearly 150 miles to realise they were not helping. I should have gone a half size up or got the wider fit. They have now been retired to an everyday walking shoe and they bring me comfort doing this.

Since I don’t have much in terms of a running update , I’ll share something else

I was clearing some junk out of my parents home about a year ago and I came across a programme of a soccer tournament I was involved in when I was in 6th year in school. It was great reading it back at the time. I bumped into a teammate from that recently and it got me thinking about it again. With the crap times we are currently living in, It was good thinking of happier times.

I was very fortunate to be part of my school team in 5th and 6th year. We won every game domestically bar one In 2 years which was a final in 1999. The nucleus of the team had won 2 All Irelands over two age groups, I was part of one, although spent most my time on the bench for that title due to 2 very prolific forwards mentioned in the link below. One went on to have a decade playing in the League of Ireland and scored in Europe against some good sides.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/st-benildus-favourites-1.156908

By winning the under 16 All Ireland title in 1998, we some how qualified to play in a schools world cup In Sardinia the following year. If you have read Champagne Football recently, you will know the FAI were never going to be easy to deal with. We had raised huge amount of money through fund raisers to pay for the trip. We were not under the remit of the FAI but we had reached out for some support considering we would be representing Ireland on an International stage. 1998 was the year Ireland won under 16 and under 18 European championship so there was a good feel about underage football at the time.

After some false promises and lack of engagement we were eventually supplied a home Ireland kit and an hour of coaching to prepare for tournament life. No away kit, tracksuits or even footballs – I wonder how Saipan ever happened 3 years later :rolleyes:

The late great Noel O Reilly, who was Brian Kerrs assistant took us for that hour and it was a nice experience. I remember him telling us whenever you are not playing, lie down as much as possible to recover. He mentioned that Damien Duff took this to the max and had to be woken up before evening matches.

The tournament itself was brilliant and has some wonderful memories. There were 24 teams in it. Two South American countries had to withdraw very late(I think) and were replaced by Luxembourg and a 2nd Italian Team. Neither faired very well. We finished 15th as every team played off for the positions as you will see in link below. I believe we were the 2nd highest finishing actual school team in it(citation needed). The majority of the teams were football school academy’s.

The South Africans were the best team we came up against. They all attended the school of excellence. Most of their players were linked to Ajax Capetown who were at the time a feeder club for Ajaz Amsterdam. Quite a few of them went on to play for Ajax. One of them was a small silky midfielder with big dreadlocks that went by the name of future Everton and Spurs player Steven Pienaar(I only found this out a couple of years later when looking back at the programme).

There are levels in every sport and after 15 minutes of playing in this game, we knew we were not on the same level as this side. We kept the scoreline respectable and only lost 2 nil. We had two players sent off though for excessive fouling and I also picked up a yellow for cutting down Pienaar at one stage. I had just broken into the starting team and this was a baptism of fire. There were a few from that team ended up been part of the South African 2010 World Cup squad.

We finished the group of well by beating a strong Hungary side 3-0. I scored 2 goals in that game I can describe every single bit of detail of those 2 goals 22 years later.

I was rewarded with the Captaincy against Nigeria. I get goose bumps thinking about walking a team out with the captains armband over the sleeve of an Irish Jersey. My father made the trip for the jolly up as much as anything, but I’ll never forget the proud look on his face at that moment when I caught his eye in the crowd. We lost the game but it was very hot morning and it suited them better than us.

The brutal nature of this tournament is that we had to play again that evening against China. A few of us had a bit Tommy Coyne moment that day in terms of dehydration. Our very last match was our best performance. We were playing the Italians close to the hometown of Gianfranco Zola I believe. We arrived to the ground which I’d say is similar in size to Rovers ground in Tallaght. One stand was full of Primary school kids that were given the time off school to watch the match. I remember seeing some Chelsea Zola jerseys. We only had our white away kits which we had designed ourselves with us. We had played in the home Irish kit the previous day. That kit was in the wash. The Italians were in the same boat though and also only had their white away kit. After some moments of kerfuffle, we decided to wear the local clubs jerseys much to the delight of all the kids in the crowds. I think the islanders were already looking for an excuse to cheer against the mainlanders and now they had it.

We managed to win the game 5-1. A couple of us may have kissed the crest of the jersey on scoring to get the full backing from the locals:pac:

It is pretty surreal looking back. It’s a pity the internet hadn’t really taken off yet as I’d have some proper websites, stats , etc to look back on.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/isf99.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That’s deadly D, some great memories re-told there. Not to many can say they have represented their country on an International stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I wasn’t going to bother with updates on the log as long as I just ticking away with easy miles. I will give it a go though as it may help with the motivation.

There is not much to mention in terms of running. I did around 20 miles last week and will be something similar over 4 days this week. I added a nice little progress 5 mile run on Wednesday getting down to MP with relative comfort. I’m suppose to keep it easy but that was a frustrating working day and it was either that or open a bottle of whiskey.

There has been a little bit more comfort with the foot when walking this week. I’m not sure if that’s simply down to the fact I’m running less at the minute. It could potentially be down to a few things. There is a notable difference how it feels depending on the footwear I wear running or walking. I’m now wearing a new fancy pair of cushioned slippers around the house all the time. I disliked the pegaus37 for running because they felt too tight on my feet. It took me nearly 150 miles to realise they were not helping. I should have gone a half size up or got the wider fit. They have now been retired to an everyday walking shoe and they bring me comfort doing this.

Since I don’t have much in terms of a running update , I’ll share something else

I was clearing some junk out of my parents home about a year ago and I came across a programme of a soccer tournament I was involved in when I was in 6th year in school. It was great reading it back at the time. I bumped into a teammate from that recently and it got me thinking about it again. With the crap times we are currently living in, It was good thinking of happier times.

I was very fortunate to be part of my school team in 5th and 6th year. We won every game domestically bar one In 2 years which was a final in 1999. The nucleus of the team had won 2 All Irelands over two age groups, I was part of one, although spent most my time on the bench for that title due to 2 very prolific forwards mentioned in the link below. One went on to have a decade playing in the League of Ireland and scored in Europe against some good sides.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/st-benildus-favourites-1.156908

By winning the under 16 All Ireland title in 1998, we some how qualified to play in a schools world cup In Sardinia the following year. If you have read Champagne Football recently, you will know the FAI were never going to be easy to deal with. We had raised huge amount of money through fund raisers to pay for the trip. We were not under the remit of the FAI but we had reached out for some support considering we would be representing Ireland on an International stage. 1998 was the year Ireland won under 16 and under 18 European championship so there was a good feel about underage football at the time.

After some false promises and lack of engagement we were eventually supplied a home Ireland kit and an hour of coaching to prepare for tournament life. No away kit, tracksuits or even footballs – I wonder how Saipan ever happened 3 years later :rolleyes:

The late great Noel O Reilly, who was Brian Kerrs assistant took us for that hour and it was a nice experience. I remember him telling us whenever you are not playing, lie down as much as possible to recover. He mentioned that Damien Duff took this to the max and had to be woken up before evening matches.

The tournament itself was brilliant and has some wonderful memories. There were 24 teams in it. Two South American countries had to withdraw very late(I think) and were replaced by Luxembourg and a 2nd Italian Team. Neither faired very well. We finished 15th as every team played off for the positions as you will see in link below. I believe we were the 2nd highest finishing actual school team in it(citation needed). The majority of the teams were football school academy’s.

The South Africans were the best team we came up against. They all attended the school of excellence. Most of their players were linked to Ajax Capetown who were at the time a feeder club for Ajaz Amsterdam. Quite a few of them went on to play for Ajax. One of them was a small silky midfielder with big dreadlocks that went by the name of future Everton and Spurs player Steven Pienaar(I only found this out a couple of years later when looking back at the programme).

There are levels in every sport and after 15 minutes of playing in this game, we knew we were not on the same level as this side. We kept the scoreline respectable and only lost 2 nil. We had two players sent off though for excessive fouling and I also picked up a yellow for cutting down Pienaar at one stage. I had just broken into the starting team and this was a baptism of fire. There were a few from that team ended up been part of the South African 2010 World Cup squad.

We finished the group of well by beating a strong Hungary side 3-0. I scored 2 goals in that game I can describe every single bit of detail of those 2 goals 22 years later.

I was rewarded with the Captaincy against Nigeria. I get goose bumps thinking about walking a team out with the captains armband over the sleeve of an Irish Jersey. My father made the trip for the jolly up as much as anything, but I’ll never forget the proud look on his face at that moment when I caught his eye in the crowd. We lost the game but it was very hot morning and it suited them better than us.

The brutal nature of this tournament is that we had to play again that evening against China. A few of us had a bit Tommy Coyne moment that day in terms of dehydration. Our very last match was our best performance. We were playing the Italians close to the hometown of Gianfranco Zola I believe. We arrived to the ground which I’d say is similar in size to Rovers ground in Tallaght. One stand was full of Primary school kids that were given the time off school to watch the match. I remember seeing some Chelsea Zola jerseys. We only had our white away kits which we had designed ourselves with us. We had played in the home Irish kit the previous day. That kit was in the wash. The Italians were in the same boat though and also only had their white away kit. After some moments of kerfuffle, we decided to wear the local clubs jerseys much to the delight of all the kids in the crowds. I think the islanders were already looking for an excuse to cheer against the mainlanders and now they had it.

We managed to win the game 5-1. A couple of us may have kissed the crest of the jersey on scoring to get the full backing from the locals:pac:

It is pretty surreal looking back. It’s a pity the internet hadn’t really taken off yet as I’d have some proper websites, stats , etc to look back on.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/isf99.html

That's deadly. I would know a few lads involved on that team. Some experience and stories that the lads are still telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great read there D, nice to reminisce on old memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I know nothing about football, unfortunately I do know something about PF :(. I'm on my second bout of it, the first was back in 2014 I think. Funny to see you mentioning the pegasus 37, this was the cause of my current wows too km almost certain. Started with Achilles pain, now it goes between Achilles & foot. Finally went to the physio yesterday and she said that Nike changed the pegaus 37 in a way that has your foot in a different position (can't remember exactly her words), she too had to ditch them.

Anyway, lots of foot and calf stretches for me and unholy pain when she dug her elbows into my calves yesterday. Best of luck with your recovery. Solutions vary from person to person along with the length of time it takes.

I know nothing about football, unfortunately I do know something about PF :(. I'm on my second bout of it, the first was back in 2014 I think. Funny to see you mentioning the pegasus 37, this was the cause of my current wows too km almost certain. Started with Achilles pain, now it goes between Achilles & foot. Finally went to the physio yesterday and she said that Nike changed the pegaus 37 in a way that has your foot in a different position (can't remember exactly her words), she too had to ditch them.

Anyway, lots of foot and calf stretches for me and unholy pain when she dug her elbows into my calves yesterday. Best of luck with your recovery. Solutions vary from person to person along with the length of time it takes.

Cheers for contributing and sorry to hear its playing up again. That is interesting about that shoe. I hadn't heard anyone else complain about them so thought I was half imagining it. I don't think it was the cause for me but it definitely wasn't helping. After about 20/30 minutes of running in them, the discomfort would begin in both feet.

Monday Feb 1st 5.15 Miles @ 8.05

A gentle enough lunchtime run around the area. Bumped into a friend on his walk at the midpoint of my run and stopped for a 10/15 mins chat. On getting going again, I felt a little bit of a reminder in the heel that niggled at me a little bit for the rest of the evening while doing some S+C.

Tuesday - No running

Any day I'm not running I'm doing an interval type session on the exercise bike along with S+C. I'm also doing my daily rehab stuff as part of the S+C. I don't like cycling for any distance on the exercise bike so keep it for harder stuff. I'll be getting out a bit more on the road bike now for a few longer easy cycles.

Wednesday

Run Up

I felt really fresh and nothing coming from the PF here. It was lunchtime, no wind and a clear enough sky. I reckoned it was the perfect time to tackle the Feb challenge. For me, that was running up to Fairy Castle in the Dublin Mountains. I was trying to figure the perfect starting point to gain as much elevation as possible. I ran about 6 minutes from my home then clicked the watch to start. I went up through Ticknock Forest as it has a steeper/shorter route than the more enjoyable Kilmashogue forest way. I hadn't been running much so felt relatively good(considering it was a mountain) all the way up. I had a good look at the watch and debated doing a rep or 2 at the penultimate summit where the Electricity masts are. I had a feeling I had started the run about 2 minutes to close to the mountain. The reason for potentially doing the reps there is the last part is just rocky and requires a lot of concentration of where you are putting your feet or you will roll the ankle. The thought of reps on the steepest part of the climb made me ignore that and kept climbing up the rocks towards the summit.
    I had up to 36.00 mins to do this and arrived at the top at approx 33.55 so had bout 2 mins of ridiculous looking reps around rocks and a narrow bridge. For folk who don't know it its like a suspended 18 inch wide bridge type structure(about 3 feet off the ground) around the top that you have to walk on. I was trying to rep up this while at the same time avoiding the 2 hiking couples that had arrived up from different sides at the same time. They were looking at me as if I had just escaped from some facility. Anyway I got to about 35.54 and stopped the watch and had a good scan of the views. Lovely clear day and could see right across Dublin

Run Down

I decided to go down the Kilmashogue way. I had to try and negotiate my way initially past a few hikers. Awkward in these times as its so narrow. I like to give an big "Excuse me" in advance to get attentions so it doesn't seem that I'm too close to them when they first see me. The odd person mistakes it for "look at this arrogant fella shouting for us to get out of the way" . Most understand and appreciate the advanced heads up once its done with a smile and big thanks. Anyway, once getting through the rocky part, I was descending down to the forest path and I was starting to feel the heel for the first time. Once I got on the main road out of the forest it was getting more noticeable. I always descend hovering over the brake - so to speak. I never let loose. Every time the heel struck the ground, I was feeling it and was causing me to grimace. I would have stopped but I needed to get back for work reasons.

It was initially fine when I got back but that evening and the next morning I couldn't really walk to tell the truth. Its only now I have a bit more comfort but I can still feel the pinch. Was due back at physio today anyway so in the course of it all he advised to listen to the body. 3 day running weeks and stop if any discomfort is the max for the time being. I'm under no illusions that these 3 day weeks may turn into 0 day weeks soon. I'm positive about keeping the fitness levels up and the longer evenings will help getting out walking/cycling etc for the time being too. Shogunmcos log from his injury period last year will be revisited now for tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm not sure if my injury recover is much to go by. I just focused frustration onto the mat and rower, and ignored most of my running shoes :cool:

The 2 main things I found when I went back running
    1. The engine was good - I got back faster than I expected and I've since beaten my Boards 5k TT, after just 2 months of consistency.
    2. I was more flexible, my core was stronger and my posture improved. As if I needed any reminders why S&C is necessary.

I'm not sure if my injury recover is much to go by. I just focused frustration onto the mat and rower, and ignored most of my running shoes :cool:

The 2 main things I found when I went back running
    1. The engine was good - I got back faster than I expected and I've since beaten my Boards 5k TT, after just 2 months of consistency.
    2. I was more flexible, my core was stronger and my posture improved. As if I needed any reminders why S&C is necessary.

Its exactly those two points I meant along with the attitude. If I rocked in the front door with a rower, I'd be shepherded straight out the back door with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Its exactly those two points I meant along with the attitude. If I rocked in the front door with a rower, I'd be shepherded straight out the back door with it :pac:

You'd have a better chance of getting a replacement foot than you would a rower at the moment.

They're trading about 50% above standard retail price with a 12 week wait :eek:

I really enjoyed the SA football read. I'm a drumcondra lad and remember going on a trip with Stella back in the Tranmere days and playing against a random UK side when we were maybe 12/13 and even though we were playing (I think) Major back then, the gap was just enormous.

It's always nice to experience being around guys who are just on a different level.

• Advertisement

Not much happening over here on the running front.

3 short runs leading to my lowest weekly total of 11 miles since I starting logging. The PF is going nowhere at the moment. Its not as bad with the big decrease in volume but currently weighing up taking a full break now from running to progress things. This will be difficult for me especially initially with a few days off work next week(may delay it a week yet). All I want to do is get out running and there are days I feel great, so will have to try and fight the urge if I do take that route.

I have done about 200km on the exercise bike since the start of February to keep the insanity at bay :) I generally do 20km per ride(1km intervals). I'm doing the rehab exercises every day and S+C every other day at present. From every other avenue I'm in decent shape at the minute apart from the aul Achilles Heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Keep your head up, you'll get over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

I had PF before as well and ended up having to stop running for a few months.

Some of things that helped were; bottle of water in the freezer and rolling it under foot.
    Hand massaging the foot, pressing thumbs right into the sole and pushing thumbs along the sole of foot and side of foot near heel.
    Calf stretch exercises against the wall.
    Stretching calf muscles using resistance band. Wrap the resistance band around the top of the foot and pull top of foot towards you with the band while keeping leg straight.
    When you are getting better stick to grass for as long as its still there
    Using the 'stick' to massage lower calf near Achilles.
    Friend of mine used to use a boot at night for hers but she needed to as she was training for marathon.
    Running shoes with a cushion and support
    Lastly, maintenance has to become part of running or it will come back either as PF or calf tension.

API wrote: »
    I had PF before as well and ended up having to stop running for a few months.

Some of things that helped were; bottle of water in the freezer and rolling it under foot.
    Hand massaging the foot, pressing thumbs right into the sole and pushing thumbs along the sole of foot and side of foot near heel.
    Calf stretch exercises against the wall.
    Stretching calf muscles using resistance band. Wrap the resistance band around the top of the foot and pull top of foot towards you with the band while keeping leg straight.
    When you are getting better stick to grass for as long as its still there
    Using the 'stick' to massage lower calf near Achilles.
    Friend of mine used to use a boot at night for hers but she needed to as she was training for marathon.
    Running shoes with a cushion and support
    Lastly, maintenance has to become part of running or it will come back either as PF or calf tension.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that advice. I'm pretty much doing all of this bar the stick on lower calf. I haven't tried the boot at night but did give the PF sock a blast for a few nights. It was affecting my sleep though so canned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Thanks for taking the time to post all that advice. I'm pretty much doing all of this bar the stick on lower calf. I haven't tried the boot at night but did give the PF sock a blast for a few nights. It was affecting my sleep though so canned that.

No bother, I can see how much you enjoy your running so thought I'd throw those points out there.
    I wouldn't be going out and buying the stick based on what I said. Its one of those tools that you only use now and again instead of foam rolling. A handy to have one but not essential.

Its really just a waiting game now.

So where are we? oh yeh, still locked down it seems.:rolleyes:

Somewhere in the middle of March I was feeling good so attempted a 30 minute run around Marlay Park. It was more out of desperation than anything else. I needed the endorphins release to get me out of a cycle of boozing and eating too much crap.

Unfort, I just wasn't ready at this stage so that put me back at bit mentally along with physically. I was still doing daily workouts on the exercise bike and that was helping a little, but had fallen off the the wagon with the stretches and S&C. I needed to dig a bit and reset myself for a couple of weeks.

I then tested 15 minutes on the local pitches then one evening in late March and I got through that. I then tried 20-25 over the next few runs on grass that also went ok.

I was now back been religious with pre and post run stretches and in a better place generally.

I'm learning as I go along what I can or cant get away with at present. I tried a 35 minute road run soon after, but I got my first reaction out of this one possibly as I didn't stretch before hand. I dialled back on grass for an easy 5k the next day and that worked fine too.

First week back I completed about 17 miles easy followed by 21 miles the next week. I will be keeping to 5 days easy running for the foreseeable future with a slight increase in the "long run" to gauge where I am. I will diall back and take extra days off whenever I feel the need. I'm aware this will be a slow burner but i have a bit of weight to shift at the same time.:)

I bought a pair Recovery/rehab OOFos flip flops. They have been a bit of game changer for just wearing knocking about the house. Anyway onwards and upwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So where are we? oh yeh, still locked down it seems.:rolleyes:

Somewhere in the middle of March I was feeling good so attempted a 30 minute run around Marlay Park. It was more out of desperation than anything else. I needed the endorphins release to get me out of a cycle of boozing and eating too much crap.

Unfort, I just wasn't ready at this stage so that put me back at bit mentally along with physically. I was still doing daily workouts on the exercise bike and that was helping a little, but had fallen off the the wagon with the stretches and S&C. I needed to dig a bit and reset myself for a couple of weeks.

I then tested 15 minutes on the local pitches then one evening in late March and I got through that. I then tried 20-25 over the next few runs on grass that also went ok.

I was now back been religious with pre and post run stretches and in a better place generally.

I'm learning as I go along what I can or cant get away with at present. I tried a 35 minute road run soon after, but I got my first reaction out of this one possibly as I didn't stretch before hand. I dialled back on grass for an easy 5k the next day and that worked fine too.

First week back I completed about 17 miles easy followed by 21 miles the next week. I will be keeping to 5 days easy running for the foreseeable future with a slight increase in the "long run" to gauge where I am. I will diall back and take extra days off whenever I feel the need. I'm aware this will be a slow burner but i have a bit of weight to shift at the same time.:)

I bought a pair Recovery/rehab OOFos flip flops. They have been a bit of game changer for just wearing knocking about the house. Anyway onwards and upwards :)

Good luck with the recovery, I find if I don’t religiously attend to my rehab I alway suffer set backs. Patience and consistency aren’t my strongest traits!

What the hell are those flip flops, link?

Thanks

TbL

Good luck with the recovery, I find if I don’t religiously attend to my rehab I alway suffer set backs. Patience and consistency aren’t my strongest traits!

What the hell are those flip flops, link?

Thanks

TbL

pricey for flip flops but cheap for house shoes

https://www.therunhub.ie/accessories/recovery-rehab/oofos-ooriginal-sport-cloud/33983

If they did them in a “pool sandal” style I’d buy them, could never hack flip flops with the bit between your toes!!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

If they did them in a “pool sandal” style I’d buy them, could never hack flip flops with the bit between your toes!!

TbL

You can get a slider version - here

He just wants them for the aul socks and sandals look.

• Advertisement

They are the job, perfect.

Only problem is I haven’t been a size 3 in over 50 years :) (they’re out of every other size)

TbL

He just wants them for the aul socks and sandals sandals look.

It’s almost summer in Connemara and I need to look my stylish best.

They don’t call me the Count of Connemara for nothing

(I think some of them drop one of the vowels :):))

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you back D! Best of luck with the recovery.

I keep meaning to get myself a pair of those flip flops...my birthday list is growing longer every time I come onto boards :D

TbL

I was the same but got the bit between the toes ones last year and got used to them in no time. They are the business, super comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Hi Lambay Island, I'm going through something very similar at the moment with PF but not quite back running yet. Can I ask if you were completely pain free before you started back?

token56 wrote: »
    Hi Lambay Island, I'm going through something very similar at the moment with PF but not quite back running yet. Can I ask if you were completely pain free before you started back?

Hi. I haven't been looking much at the training logs lately so just had a look through your recent posts just now. I seem to be at a very familiar stage as you and can relate to all of what u say . I was doing about 150km a week on the bike myself and also took a couple of months off running. I am by no means perfect but I'm not in pain. I will get a bit of discomfort from time to time a couple of hours after running. There are days I feel nothing at all. Ive switched to more running in the evening at present as it gives me much more time off my feet afterwards. I would prefer to run early morn but I'm prepared to do what is best for my recovery at the minute. I'm running about 75% on grass too at the minute.While running ,Im feeling more discomfort in other muscles like hamstring/calf at the moment which I think(is good) means I'm using those muscles more and lessening the impact on the fascia.

Best of luck it your recovery, its such a poxy injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great to see this log back in whatever form it takes.

As you know I missed the bones of 3 months last summer with a foot issue. It was a very slow progression back to running. 6 months later I'm running 100k a week for last 6 weeks and all good. S&C is important but specific strength for the foot even more so as you are not pounding roads.

Good call on flip flops. I went with slippers and it really made a difference. Being around the house constantly in my bare feet, especially on hard surfaces, was not helping.

It sounds like you are being careful but get rid of the idea of a "long run", even if it just a mile longer than others. Consistent short runs more important. You could always do 2 miles in the morning and 2 miles in the evening.

Anyway, glad you are on the road to recovery :)

Just ordered a pair of those posh sandals, if they don’t have me running a sub 39 min 10k you’ll be hearing from my lawyer :)

TbL

Just ordered a pair of those posh sandals, if they don’t have me running a sub 39 min 10k you’ll be hearing from my lawyer :)

TbL

I believe that makes me an influencer.

I ended up slightly upping it to 23 easy miles over 5 days last week. Nothing really of note on any of the runs apart from the general happiness of been able to get out and run.

As innocuous injuries go, I picked up another one of Friday. My five year old cycles to and from school. I often collect him on my own bike with my 2 year old on the back. My 2yo didn't fancy the bike that day so put her in the stroller. Whatever way I went to push it, I managed to put my foot on one of the wheels and rolled my ankle front ways on it. I was in immediate pain but it subsided very quickly. It seemed like i may have stopped it before it got too bad. I have done ligaments in ankle before from rolling it but generally on the lateral side so familiar with pain.

Anyway did an easy 10km on Saturday followed by a bit of digging in the garden. It wasn't until I woke up on Sunday morning that it seemed to hit me. I have struggled to walk without a limp since. The previous days happening must have aggravated it. I'm hoping it's a very quick one and a fews days off it will do the trick, as frustration levels are at an all time high.

• Advertisement

Last 3 weeks have consisted of a slight increase week on week.
    27 Miles
    31 Miles
    32 Miles
    The ankle injury mentioned in above post seemed to vanish as quick as it came, thank fook.
    I wont go into detail on individual runs, as it will bore me as much penning it as it will anyone else reading it. They have basically consisted of about 90% easy running on the pitches in the local parks(mainly Marlay)

On the go ahead from the physio, I can now include one faster type run once a week as long as I'm not on the feet too long, Ideally this to be done on grass or a track. Other instructions from Physio include 5 day max and wear good good supportive runners as much as possible. i.e. and not switching too much between shoes on every run. I have wore down the Saucony speeds on grass the last few weeks ;) . I'm also kind of content around the 50km a week territory at the minute. Any time I have added anything extra or unplanned i have felt the pinch in the foot later on at some stage. I'm in no rush at the minute.
    Ideally , I want to do an Autumn marathon but i need to be at a stage in about 5 weeks that I feel I could kick into Marathon training - Time will tell. I certainly won't be doing anything virtual anyway on that front this year.

Some sharp eyes on Strava may have copped I threw in a few faster type reps the other day. I clicked on the link for the 5,000 Metres races down in Leixlip last week and it had sold out a few hours earlier. I clicked into the time slots nonetheless and there seemed to be still space in one slot, so I snuck in and entered for this Saturday. If it was a road race, i wouldn't have entered but due to be on a track with no footwear rules, the physio was also happy for me to have a go and see how much fitness Ive lost since my last 5k :) I have absolutely no time target or pressure here which is great. I simply want to feel what a race type situation feels like again as its 14 months since my last one.

I will soon enter into a new category in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I dont think its going to bring any soft race wins when I see the likes of Healy, Comic Book Guy and Treviso to name just a few are already in this category :)

I have treated myself to an early birthday present though - New Balance Fuelcell RC Elites (I hear ears pricking up, down in Limerick)
    I put them on yesterday for a 50 minute run. Verdict very comfortable like the TC version but a lighter feel. They seemed to respond when I put in a quicker mile too but not to the same extent as the Next % on first thought(although that could be my fitness too at the min)

Did someone say new runners?!?

I'm a huge fan of the TC. One of my favourite pairs in my collection.
    Which of course makes me curious about the RC. Given the price tag I expect its a racer more than a training shoe.
    Where would they fit for you ie. what would you use them for?

Did someone say new runners?!?

I'm a huge fan of the TC. One of my favourite pairs in my collection.
    Which of course makes me curious about the RC. Given the price tag I expect its a racer more than a training shoe.
    Where would they fit for you ie. what would you use them for?

Yes I used the T'Cs for all my L's long runs in training for marathon last year. I was a big fan myself. Both shoes split on me after about 160 miles but still got more legs out of them for easier running. I got the exact size then while I have gone a half size up now with the elites. Yes, they are planned to be used as a racer unless a nike fairy leaves me a rather big voucher for my birthday(no chance) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I have wore down the Saucony speeds on grass the last few weeks ;)

Jaysus, don't mention that you use the Speeds on grass - that's nearly as bad as using the 4% on hill sprints ;)
    I will soon enter into a new category in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I dont think its going to bring any soft race wins when I see the likes of Healy, Comic Book Guy and Treviso to name just a few are already in this category :)
    Whilst I'm happy to see my name mentioned here, I think we'll all agree that you'll be flying past us all again once you get back to some consistent running

How did i miss the Speeds comment!!..................Still not quite as bad as the 4% on hills though...
    Plus Lambay is excused as he was injured..Anything that brings any joy when going through an injury phase is acceptable. lol

1 step fwd, 2 back.

Monday off

Tuesday 7 miles easy around the grass of Marlay

Wednesday 2.45 min reps by 4 at 5k effort. Like my 5k reps last week, I did this all off feel without looking at pace on watch. They all fell in the 5.40-45 bracket which was closer to my 10k pace last year. I was never looking at sub 17 this week as nowhere near the shape I was in the last previous 2 time's I dipped in the 16,s.. My thought process for Saturday was go out at sub 18 pace and push on for last 800 if possible. I was also conscious of never racing on a track and if there was any endurance there.

Thursdays and Friday were just a few more easy miles with strides to leave me at approx 20 miles for mon- Fri.

Saturday: I felt I had prepared well and was really looking forward to race.
    Whatever way I slept on Friday night, I frustratingly woke up with a very tight lower back. I took a couple of nurofen and planned to take it easy for the morn. Unfortunately the tightness never subsided. I had all the gear on and ready to go. I was even testing out in my garden if I could run. I had almost convinced myself I could when my wife said "your grimacing and you can't even stand straight - what are you at?"

With that little slice of truth, I got on to pop up and begrudgingly withdrew from the race. I was fairly annoyed at first but I'm glad I didn't run as I would have done further damage at best and probably would have lost confidence with a DNF. Looking at results, I would have had a good chance of winning my race if I didnt have the knock but there will be other days...

Sunday- no running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sorry to hear about the back D, probably smartest decision not racing alright. Hopefully it won’t keep you off the roads for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear about the back. Is this a recurring issue? Definitely the right thing to pull out. Back trouble needs to be carefully managed.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the back D, probably smartest decision not racing alright. Hopefully it won’t keep you off the roads for long.

Cheers B, It was a bit of a "A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other" situation.I'd imagine it will pass over next day or so, already subsided a tad - thanks

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the back. Is this a recurring issue? Definitely the right thing to pull out. Back trouble needs to be carefully managed.

cheers. It is and it isn't. Its happened before, back in October as I was beginning to taper for a marathon. After a bit of solid advice from TBL amongst others around the time, I included more core work and it hadn't happened since. Lately,I have been working more on my legs to take the pressure off the fascia so the core work had become a bit more infrequent TBF. Homework pending .....

Advertisement