Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Friday
    6.65 miles @8.08

50 mins easy in plan with 6x20 seconds strides. Started this on the quays and then travelled up the more scenic way past grand canal and around Ringsend and Sean Moore parks for a few loops of area. Strides completed in last few mins down by the Liffey front.

Saturday
    16 Miles @7.20

This consisted of a 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cooldown. Sandwiched in between were 12 alternate miles of 6.40 and 7.40. My long runs recently have all been on a similar route which brings me towards UCD. Its a route I've grown to like and know exactly how to make the run anything from 10 miles up to 16 miles so far without massive change on the route. It means i can tune out and not think of where i need to be going. I enjoyed this and despite a night of very little sleep , I was comfortably hitting the paces. The last faster mile was definitely a struggle though as the rain got heavier and it was also uphill. After the poxy sleep and then this run, I was fairly shattered for the rest of the day.

Sunday
    7.35 Miles@8.10

Nice easy run around a few of the local parks running on grass at every opportunity

66.2 miles for week which is my highest weekly total to date

Monday 6 Miles @8.19
    I felt a bit stiff on this one but seemed to loosen out as it went along. For the rest of the day I had pain in what I think is my IT band on my right side. I never had a niggle there before so looked online for best exercises and proceeded to try a few. The spikey ball in around the hip seemed to do the trick as I felt brand new then on Tuesday.

Tuesday 6.57 Miles @8.07
    I wasn't commuting to the office today so just the one easy run with strides at the end. It worked out well after Mondays issues. I felt very fresh throughout this and ran on grass for large portions of it.

Wednesday 9.28 Miles @7.23
    2 mile warmup,6 min @ 6.00, 3 min jog,
    (4x1 min @ 5.30 effort, 60 sec jog)
    5 min @ 6.00 3 min jog
    (4x30 sec @ 5.30 effort, 60 sec jog)
    4 min @ 5.55
    2 mile cooldown

I put on the Pegasus37 headed up to Marlay that did the majority of this session around the perimeter of the concert loop. I like these runners but I'm really only using them for Wednesdays sessions at the min. I'm not sure why, but any time i wear them over 90 mins runs, I develop a blister on my left instep.

As swashbuckler mentions, it’s an effort to programme these sessions into the garmin. I ended up checking the steps about 4 times to make sure I put them in right.
    It’s well worth it though and felt good on finishing. I went early morning and seemed to be the only part of the day that it lashed rain. It was almost refreshing though as there was a dead heat even at that stage. The end of the 2nd turnover part leading into the 4 minutes at 5.55 was tough. I used those 60 seconds as best as i could before completing the last 4 minutes rep in 5.52. I was happy to finish but already looking forward to the next one of these.

Thursday AM 6.8 Miles @8.05
    No record of this yet with garmin having a nightmare this morn. Casual enough runmute.

Friday 6.22 Miles @8.11
    50 minutes easy running followed by 6x20 seconds strides off approx 70 seconds. Nothing very exciting about this- half was run on grass. Felt a bit stiff and leghargic on first couple of strides but loosened up as i did a couple more.

Saturday 16.07 Miles @7.28
    This was a progression run that consisted of 2 miles warm up, 4 miles@7.40, 4 miles @7.20 ,4 miles @7.00, 2 miles cooldown. Happy enough how this went. The last 2 miles @7.00 pace felt tough due to the latter stages of run but also I had the added challenge of it been both uphill and against the wind. I was relieved then to see the end of mile 14, so I could ease into a relaxed pace.

Sunday 7.25 Miles@8.17
    Lunch time skip around the pitches and tracks up in Marlay park.

65 Miles for week

Fingers crossed Galway Bay Marathon will be on but I'm thinking it won't be. Either way i will complete this training block. I have paid the few bob for the DCM beanie so the option of the virtual Marathon is there but ..........meh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yeah it's a dose isn't it? I'm just trying to take a step back and focus on the training block. There will hopefully be a marathon at the end of it..... Where that may be is the question, but I'm happy to do the training and be ready yo pull the trigger. Not easy though.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a dose isn't it? I'm just trying to take a step back and focus on the training block. There will hopefully be a marathon at the end of it..... Where that may be is the question, but I'm happy to do the training and be ready yo pull the trigger. Not easy though.

Yeah its poxy.. I had accepted a good while ago that there would be no racing in 2020. I remember at the time thinking how lucky I was to race Bohermeen back in March, last wkend of racing...Then you kinda see a few pop up events lately and ya think, hold on maybe in a few months... but its not like this virus is going anywhere. I'm with you though, there are more positives then negatives out of this training block.

• Advertisement

Monday 5 Miles @8.20
    Easy early morn skip up towards Ballyboden and back. Felt quite tight so just capped it at 40 minutes

Tuesday Runmutes AM 6.79 Miles @7.50
    PM 5.72 Miles @8.10

Nothing too exciting here. Ran back with the fresh air on the beach in the afternoon

Wednesday AM 10.78 Miles @7.28
    4,3,2,1 mins @6.00 Miles pace x 3 times. Recovery was 90 seconds between reps and 3 min jog between the repeats.
    Yeh, I'm really liking these Wednesday sessions that L sets up for me. I am generally getting out early and working hard towards the end. This seemed longer than I thought. It was approx 11 miles in the end all in. I was hitting the paces which i was happy with but maybe understandably, the last couple of reps , I wasn't as good with my form I remember. It wasnt just the tired legs here though as I really needed to get home to use the facilities so to speak. I ended up cutting the cooldown miles a bit due to this.

Wednesday PM 3 Miles @8.25
    Just decided to get out in the evening for a few recovery miles on grass to see how the legs felt after the session earlier in day. All good was the verdict.

Thursday 6.18 Miles @8.05

A lunchtime skip up around Marlay.

Friday 6.5 Miles @7.59
    Again up to Marlay , this time first thing in morn for a few easy miles followed by 6 x 20 seconds strides off 90ish seconds

Saturday 16.42 Miles @7.12
    As usual out a stupid o clock for my long run. This was 2 mile warm up followed by 12 miles at 6.55-7.05 followed by 2 mile warm down. I had decided earlier in week that I needed a new pair of comfortable runners for the long marathon training runs. The pegaus37 were causing me a blister on the longer stuff and the Asics Novablasts(current fav shoe) I was now keeping them for my runmutes and some easier runs. After reading Healy's glowing references on the New Balance Fuelcell TC, I got myself a pair of them out of Runhub.
    The cushioning on the shoe was great and after wearing them straight of the box here there was absolutely no issues- happy with that side of things anyway so far. I kept the pace on average 6.55 for the 12 miles. There was definitely one or 2 miles I had to work harder with the wind and hills that can be seen on my HR, but all in all I was happy how this went and looking forward to the next one.

Sunday 7.64 Miles @7.56
    Back up to Marlay, along with St Endas Park for 60 minutes easy at lunch. Whatever creative way I went, I must have passed the same running group in total 6 times. The first couple of times there was just a a nod and smile. By the last time, i was running with my head sideways to avoid any type of awkward contact now:)

68 Miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Nice week. Are the Novablast still your fav shoe after wearing the NB Fuelcell TC? What do you think you will wear for long runs going forward and for the marathon itself? Or what i'm possibly wondering is are the Novablast a long run shoe :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Nice week. Are the Novablast still your fav shoe after wearing the NB Fuelcell TC? What do you think you will wear for long runs going forward and for the marathon itself? Or what i'm possibly wondering is are the Novablast a long run shoe

Cheers.

I'm no expert on runners btw

It would usually take a few runs for me to get used to a new pair as I have quite wide and flatish feet. With the Novablasts, they just felt so comfortable from the first time I wore them. They are just very roomy and well cushioned. I don't feel tweaks or stiffness as much in them compared to others. I'm not quite 250 miles in them and the sole has worn more then I would have thought though.
    I think the pegaus37 I got are a narrower shoe. There probably was a wider version where you could design your own shoe but I got too impatient and ordered the standard. I like them now for the speed work but just cant do a longer run in them it seems without grinding my instep eventually. The extra cushioning around heel is a nice touch.

The Fuelcell for the one run I have done in them so far were very good. Fit was nice a snug but they had a bit of give on width at the same time. You can definitely feel the bounce on them when you stride without the added pounding noise of the Vaporflys.
    I have an 18 Miler this weekend so will be donning the Fuelcell for them too, so I'd imagine I will be using them for all the long runs leading into a possible marathon.

I will more than likely wear the vaporflys for the marathon as that's the reason I bought them for.
    Jays, reading that back, I have spent too much money on this habit this year but I wouldn't change it ;)

Monday - 6.25 Miles @8.00
    Nothing of note really, mainly on grass

Tuesday Double runmute
    AM 6.75 Miles @7.51
    PM 6.71 Miles @8.17

The afternoon run here was a slog. It was hot and humid and I was running mainly uphill and into a breeze.

Wednesday Session
    This consisted of a 2 mile warmup up then 5x1 miles at 6.00. Recoveries were 2.5 Minutes between the reps. A 3 min Jog was then followed by 4 x30 seconds hard off 30 seconds. 2 Mile cooldown then to wrap things up.

I was looking forward to this when I saw the plan of action. Unfortunately my enthusiasm on the morning dipped a lot. Not long after starting, approx half way through the first mile, I knew I had nothing in the locker. The first rep was 6.09 and that seemed to take an awful lot out of me. I jogged the recovery as I always do but the 2nd rep was slower. I was very close to quitting on it there. I ended up walking the rest of the recoveries and just put in an honest effort on the other 3 miles around the 6.20 mark. Even for the 3 min jog, i had to walk a bit up a hill as energy levels were very low. I gave another honest effort at the 30 seconds reps but even then had to walk between, which isnt worth it when you need to get on your toes again in such a short space of time.
    initially, I was a bit miffed and annoyed. On reflection, I feel it was probably an achievement to finish the session and hopefully it will stand to me.
    As pointed out to me ,spells of been fatigued are normal at this stage. The slog the previous day and the decision about crowds not going up to 500 etc were also playing on the mind a bit here.

Thursday 6.21 Miles @8.27
    After yesterdays antics, I took my time getting out for this. Energy levels definitely felt higher and kept it at recovery pace with low HR all the way. I kept it on grass to give the legs a break. On finishing, my legs still felt like I covered more like 10 miles then 10k, but in general happy how this one went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Been there a few times. Wouldn't worry. Job done. Park it. Move on. Good stimulus from the session anyway and you got it finished. Different story if that's happening all the time. Then there's something to worry about.

They won't all be A grade sessions. Consistent B grades are enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I will 2nd what P has said. I have had a few tough sessions over the last year of proper training and the one thing I have taken from them is that I never gave up on them, even though every single part of me wanted to! Your training has always been so consistent, take the bad with the good & move on! Not giving up, shows strength of character when it's just you & those negative thoughts in your head! Keep going;)

Thanks for comments above

Friday 6.22 miles @8.05

This was due to be 50 mins + 6 x20 seconds strides. It was probably more like 45 mins plus strides due to a pending work meeting. Legs and body felt a whole lot better today.

Saturday 18.03 miles @7.13

2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown.
    The business end consisted of 4,3,2,1 miles at 7.00 pace with easy mile in between. My first faster mile(mile 3) was a struggle and clocked in st 7.03. I felt like this was going to be another long day like Wednesday. It wasn't the case though- thank god! Next mile was an easy feeling 6.38. The 7.00 miles were probably closer to 6.45-6.50 on avg and felt relatively comfortably throughout. I picked a challenging undulating route on purpose to keep me honest too.

Sunday 7miles @8.05

Casual run up about Marlay. Perfect running conditions - no wind and cooler than previous few days. I was content how the legs felt, considering 18 miles on the sat was the longest I had run since DCM19.

I'm happy to keep kicking on with the Marathon training and I'm lucky to have L directing me. There are times though, I'm thinking, is it worth it? Will I get to run any marathon? Should I be switching to shorter stuff and run an actual race? Untimely, its the marathon I want to crack and I can feel myself getting stronger, so onwards and upwards for now! 68 miles for week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Saturday 18.03 miles @7.13

2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown.
    The business end consisted of 4,3,2,1 miles at 7.00 pace with easy mile in between. My first faster mile(mile 3) was a struggle and clocked in st 7.03. I felt like this was going to be another long day like Wednesday. It wasn't the case though- thank god! Next mile was an easy feeling 6.38. The 7.00 miles were probably closer to 6.45-6.50 on avg and felt relatively comfortably throughout. I picked a challenging undulating route on purpose to keep me honest too.

I'm happy to keep kicking on with the Marathon training and I'm lucky to have L directing me. There are times though, I'm thinking, is it worth it? Will I get to run any marathon? Should I be switching to shorter stuff and run an actual race? Untimely, its the marathon I want to crack

Hopefully it will work out for you, stay positive. Massive session there :eek:

Theres a few key points in your post which maybe subconsciously tell you all you need to know. You're happy enough to be marathon training, ultimately its the marathon you want to crack and you can feel yourself getting stronger.
    Sometimes half the battle is knowing what you want to be (a 5k guy, a marathon guy etc). You seem to have a pretty clear idea of what your long term goal is.
    In terms of the Covid/racing/no racing madness I wouldn't worry. Motivationally you seem like a long term view kind of guy and I know from my own experience you won't go too far wrong with L if you have that view.

Honestly I think switching to the short stuff would be a mistake. If there's one thing L is good at its building strength. You haven't had that type of training from an experienced coach before so I expect you could see big gains once that starts to kick in. Don't be lured by glamorous speedy 5k sessions (at least not yet anyway). I've been through a couple of months of what I'd consider "strength" training and I've noticed aassive difference.

Just my own opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Cheers.

I'm no expert on runners btw

It would usually take a few runs for me to get used to a new pair as I have quite wide and flatish feet. With the Novablasts, they just felt so comfortable from the first time I wore them. They are just very roomy and well cushioned. I don't feel tweaks or stiffness as much in them compared to others. I'm not quite 250 miles in them and the sole has worn more then I would have thought though.
    I think the pegaus37 I got are a narrower shoe. There probably was a wider version where you could design your own shoe but I got too impatient and ordered the standard. I like them now for the speed work but just cant do a longer run in them it seems without grinding my instep eventually. The extra cushioning around heel is a nice touch.

The Fuelcell for the one run I have done in them so far were very good. Fit was nice a snug but they had a bit of give on width at the same time. You can definitely feel the bounce on them when you stride without the added pounding noise of the Vaporflys.
    I have an 18 Miler this weekend so will be donning the Fuelcell for them too, so I'd imagine I will be using them for all the long runs leading into a possible marathon.

I will more than likely wear the vaporflys for the marathon as that's the reason I bought them for.
    Jays, reading that back, I have spent too much money on this habit this year but I wouldn't change it ;)

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear different opinions on the shoes. I've gone a bit shoe crazy in the last year but i'm hoping to smuggle in one more pair in the next few weeks for the marathon but trying to decide on them is my issue, i spend my evenings reading reviews! I did the shoe finder on Brooks website recently and it recommended a stability pair (Ravenna 10) for me which threw me as I've always worn neutral. The Novablasts are a definite contender but i'll have to decide soon... That is of course if there's any race at the end of this.

Great training going on here. Hopefully you get to race at the end but if not it will stand you well no doubt, you're in good hands anyhow :)

Theres a few key points in your post which maybe subconsciously tell you all you need to know. You're happy enough to be marathon training, ultimately its the marathon you want to crack and you can feel yourself getting stronger.
    Sometimes half the battle is knowing what you want to be (a 5k guy, a marathon guy etc). You seem to have a pretty clear idea of what your long term goal is.
    In terms of the Covid/racing/no racing madness I wouldn't worry. Motivationally you seem like a long term view kind of guy and I know from my own experience you won't go too far wrong with L if you have that view.

Honestly I think switching to the short stuff would be a mistake. If there's one thing L is good at its building strength. You haven't had that type of training from an experienced coach before so I expect you could see big gains once that starts to kick in. Don't be lured by glamorous speedy 5k sessions (at least not yet anyway). I've been through a couple of months of what I'd consider "strength" training and I've noticed aassive difference.

Just my own opinion though.

You are spot on. I think if it wasn't for the help and consistent plan i would be more likely to change method. That night of PB's was just something i would have liked to do. That was more the thought process in typing what I did. I am very happy and lucky to be doing what I'm doing.

Monday 5.81 Miles @8.37
    Recovery shuffle on the grass

Tuesday Double Runmute
    AM 6.7 Miles @8.07
    PM 5.59 Miles @7.58 - This one was a bit shorter due to meeting the family at a playground. That suited me a due to been very tired the previous wednesday after a very humid double runmute

Wednesday 9.30 Miles @7.18

This consisted of a :
    2 mile warmup.
    2 miles @6.00.
    3 min jog,
    6x90 seconds@5.30 off 90 seconds,
    2 Mile cooldown

I was far happier how this went than previous week. I was still out early for this but lots more energy and hit all the paces. I particularly enjoyed the turnover stuff and felt I could have done 1 or 2 more if needed, but at same time was happy to finish.

Thursday 6 Miles@8.31

A gentle one around the locality

Friday 7miles @8.10

Almost identical route as previous day with an added extra bit. 6x20 seconds strides at the end here.

Saturday 17.02 Miles @7.08 + 3.65 Miles @8.18

This was a 2 mile warm up followed x 4 sets of 2miles on @6.40 and 1 mile off@7.40. 2 Mile cooldown at the end which turned into 3 miles. I ran out Firhouse/Tallaght direction for the change of scenery after an initial loop of Ballinteer and Marlay.I was feeling energetic so I managed to the 6.40's at around 6.30's and the 7.40s around 7.30 it seems. The last faster mile despite having the elevation in my favour was a push and the legs were feeling the grind. I had a serious thirst on me here so stopped at a garage to grab a bottle of water. I stash water sometimes if i'm looping back but often I just throw a 2 euro in the pocket on the long runs instead. This was the first time I did that when masks were mandatory in shops. It didn't dawn on me until after why I was getting the daggers of someone getting their morning paper. The assistant must have felt sorry for me when he saw the sweat drenched shirt and served me anyway.I finished the last couple of miles back in Marlay park were I then joined L for his warmup before his Threshold run. It was nice to thank him in person for his excellent input with my running.

Sunday 5 Miles@8.09

After hitting almost 21 miles the previous day , I brought this down to 40 mins easy from 60 mins.Well that reason and the fact I was fairly hungover too.

66 Miles for Week

Tipping along very nicely here. You also managed one more hungover run than I did this week :)

Mon 17th 6 Miles@8.28

A wet sloppy morning. I run most days, may have missed 2 in last few months but that is the first time I got wet on a run in months. Its obviously rained in that period but I seemed to have missed it somehow. Legs felt a bit heavy here too.

Tuesday AM 6.78 Miles@7.53
    PM 5.17 Miles @8.05

Nothing much to note on either run here, managed to avoid rain this time. With the latest development on covid etc, I'm pretty sure Galway is gone at this stage. I'm not going to go into the rights or wrongs of decisions been made yesterday but there seems to be so many contradictions at the minute. There's a social distance marathon planned in Athy on the weekend of DCM but id imagine that has to be in serious doubt too.

Wednesday 2Mile W/U, 4,3,2,1 mins@6.00x3. 3 min jog between sets. 1.4ish Mile cooldown.

The motivation in getting out wasn't great this morn. Procrastinated for a few mins before I got myself together. It was a misty one out in the park initially. Happy enough how this session went. The last set was more difficult as expected. Legs were tiring for 2 min rep but seemed to recover well for last minute rep. Suppose to be 2mile c/d but was about a 1.4 due to need to get back for a meeting.

Set 1 Reps

Set 2 Reps

Set 3 Reps

• Advertisement

I have been thinking a bit about these cancellations and people being disappointed etc. Even for a race to go ahead, social distancing measures are in place. It's essentially a time trial/solo run. A buddy of mine was equally disappointed with Tralee being cancelled yesterday. I was chatting with him and just made the point, would he not consider doing a time trial anyway, organise a bunch of his running buddies to drop in and out as pacers, make a big day of it. Is it not essentially the same thing? Only difference is its not officially timed.

I have been thinking a bit about these cancellations and people being disappointed etc. Even for a race to go ahead, social distancing measures are in place. It's essentially a time trial/solo run. A buddy of mine was equally disappointed with Tralee being cancelled yesterday. I was chatting with him and just made the point, would he not consider doing a time trial anyway, organise a bunch of his running buddies to drop in and out as pacers, make a big day of it. Is it not essentially the same thing? Only difference is its not officially timed.

For me there's a few things working against that. It's hard to go to the well in any sort of TT, and a marathon TT just adds a whole new dimension to that. I sort of feel like you only have a certain amount of those marathon pb efforts in you and i wouldn't be wasting one in a TT. Add in the risk of injury that comes along with any marathon and its just too high of a risk for me.

I've touched base with a few lads down here who might be doing the virtual DCM and I might do it with them for a bit of craic, make a day out of it. A sub 3 effort has been talked about and that would suit me fine; a hard training run but not going to the well.

The longer this goes on though, the more antsy people are gonna get and start thinking towards PB virtual efforts.

healy1835 wrote:
    For me there's a few things working against that. It's hard to go to the well in any sort of TT, and a marathon TT just adds a whole new dimension to that. I sort of feel like you only have a certain amount of those marathon pb efforts in you and i wouldn't be wasting one in a TT. Add in the risk of injury that comes along with any marathon and its just too high of a risk for me.

I think that's the part I'm struggling with. I don't see how a solo run in an official social distanced race is all that different from a TT? It's not like DCM where there's throngs of people and the atmosphere is amazing and you get a big boost. Take my buddy for example, his Tralee marathon would have been a solo run around Tralee, the only difference to a TT would be the official chip timing. Maybe I just don't get it as I'm a shorter distance guy. Lol.

Maybe I just don't get it as I'm a shorter distance guy. Lol.

Currently ;)

Well that's my point though. I'm only doing the virtual marathon for a bit of craic (well actually I signed up for the beanie tbh). I'm at a point where I want to run a qualifier for Berlin and unless the 26.2 miles I'm gonna run gives me that option, then I'm not gonna go hard. Not everyone is in that situation so I get why some people want to give the TT a good rattle. And if they are doing a marathon TT, then it makes sense to try and have a decent crew/set up on the day.

Taking all points on board above, for me I will need to do something anyway after this block. If I had history of running good marathons or confidence in my ability over the distance, I would probably skip a TT this time. I don't though and want to know where I am with the endurance side. I like the sound of a sub 3 group going out . I could get on board with that type of talk as opposed to, been on my tod letting the negative thoughts get the better of me at mile 16.

I get you now J. Makes sense.

Yeah D I think the thoughts of something like that is much more appetising than running a socially distanced official effort. At least for me anyway. You could really make an event of it. Have lads dropping in and out and joining along the way. Nothing like the real deal of a DCM or anything but in my mind more mentally bearable than a solo social distanced effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://derondevenenmarathon.nl/

Nice flat marathon for ye both still going ahead over here. Good chance it will continue as numbers aren’t huge.

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://derondevenenmarathon.nl/

Nice flat marathon for ye both still going ahead over here. Good chance it will continue as numbers aren’t huge.

AIMS certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    AIMS certified?

I can’t supply that information J unfortunately.

Edit: Just asked them there.

• Advertisement

Thursday 6.02 Miles@8.18 (50mins easy)
    Jog around the trails of Marlay
    Friday 6.28 Miles@8.28 (50mins easy+strides)
    Local hilly loop that including a few of the nearby greens and parks. GPS only kicked in half way through the 3rd mile for whatever reason. The first couple of strides, I could feel a few creaks but by the last one , I felt loosened out.

Saturday 20 Miles@7.06
    As pointed out by a few on strava, I didn't give myself much of a sleep in on this one. I was out the door at (a still dark approaching dawn) half 5. I'm known to throw a few of these early ones in, but I had a lot on that day and this was only time I could get it done.This was labelled by L as a 20 Moderate (7.15ish Pace). I had to get my head around that a bit initially as my moderate a few months back wasn't nearly as pacy as that.

I picked a similar hilly route that i did recently enough on a 18 Mile spin. It starts of with a good climb and it remains that way for the first 4.5 miles or so. I had to work quick enough to get to pace on the first mile which came in at 7.14with an elevation of approx 100 feet.I usually start with a warmup mile of approx 8 min + pace so this was a change. After that, I seemed to get into a nice rhythm and the miles flew by after that. I got a couple of miles back then where I had a big downhill where I was able to drop the effort levels right down.
    It did feel like moderate pace. About the 16 mile mark, I had a quick pitstop to take on water. Starting up again, was only time my legs felt tired and heavy. I had to work here for a few mins to get back into stride for the last few miles. Happy with how that went.Time for shower and brekkie then, before I took the kids out for a couple for hours. I then went out to play(poor)golf for the afternoon but surprisingly enough I didn't end up in a hotel in Clifton after. Finished up the day with the feet up watching the boxing with a few cold ones on the couch which was needed.
    Sunday 5.01 miles@8.08
    After 50k plus steps the previous day, I cut the 60 mins easy to 40 mins mainly on grass.

66 miles for week

Advertisement