Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just Do It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Keep your head up, you'll get over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

I had PF before as well and ended up having to stop running for a few months.

Some of things that helped were; bottle of water in the freezer and rolling it under foot.
    Hand massaging the foot, pressing thumbs right into the sole and pushing thumbs along the sole of foot and side of foot near heel.
    Calf stretch exercises against the wall.
    Stretching calf muscles using resistance band. Wrap the resistance band around the top of the foot and pull top of foot towards you with the band while keeping leg straight.
    When you are getting better stick to grass for as long as its still there
    Using the 'stick' to massage lower calf near Achilles.
    Friend of mine used to use a boot at night for hers but she needed to as she was training for marathon.
    Running shoes with a cushion and support
    Lastly, maintenance has to become part of running or it will come back either as PF or calf tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

API wrote: »
    I had PF before as well and ended up having to stop running for a few months.

Some of things that helped were; bottle of water in the freezer and rolling it under foot.
    Hand massaging the foot, pressing thumbs right into the sole and pushing thumbs along the sole of foot and side of foot near heel.
    Calf stretch exercises against the wall.
    Stretching calf muscles using resistance band. Wrap the resistance band around the top of the foot and pull top of foot towards you with the band while keeping leg straight.
    When you are getting better stick to grass for as long as its still there
    Using the 'stick' to massage lower calf near Achilles.
    Friend of mine used to use a boot at night for hers but she needed to as she was training for marathon.
    Running shoes with a cushion and support
    Lastly, maintenance has to become part of running or it will come back either as PF or calf tension.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that advice. I'm pretty much doing all of this bar the stick on lower calf. I haven't tried the boot at night but did give the PF sock a blast for a few nights. It was affecting my sleep though so canned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Thanks for taking the time to post all that advice. I'm pretty much doing all of this bar the stick on lower calf. I haven't tried the boot at night but did give the PF sock a blast for a few nights. It was affecting my sleep though so canned that.

No bother, I can see how much you enjoy your running so thought I'd throw those points out there.
    I wouldn't be going out and buying the stick based on what I said. Its one of those tools that you only use now and again instead of foam rolling. A handy to have one but not essential.

Its really just a waiting game now.

So where are we? oh yeh, still locked down it seems.:rolleyes:

Somewhere in the middle of March I was feeling good so attempted a 30 minute run around Marlay Park. It was more out of desperation than anything else. I needed the endorphins release to get me out of a cycle of boozing and eating too much crap.

Unfort, I just wasn't ready at this stage so that put me back at bit mentally along with physically. I was still doing daily workouts on the exercise bike and that was helping a little, but had fallen off the the wagon with the stretches and S&C. I needed to dig a bit and reset myself for a couple of weeks.

I then tested 15 minutes on the local pitches then one evening in late March and I got through that. I then tried 20-25 over the next few runs on grass that also went ok.

I was now back been religious with pre and post run stretches and in a better place generally.

I'm learning as I go along what I can or cant get away with at present. I tried a 35 minute road run soon after, but I got my first reaction out of this one possibly as I didn't stretch before hand. I dialled back on grass for an easy 5k the next day and that worked fine too.

First week back I completed about 17 miles easy followed by 21 miles the next week. I will be keeping to 5 days easy running for the foreseeable future with a slight increase in the "long run" to gauge where I am. I will diall back and take extra days off whenever I feel the need. I'm aware this will be a slow burner but i have a bit of weight to shift at the same time.:)

I bought a pair Recovery/rehab OOFos flip flops. They have been a bit of game changer for just wearing knocking about the house. Anyway onwards and upwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So where are we? oh yeh, still locked down it seems.:rolleyes:

Somewhere in the middle of March I was feeling good so attempted a 30 minute run around Marlay Park. It was more out of desperation than anything else. I needed the endorphins release to get me out of a cycle of boozing and eating too much crap.

Unfort, I just wasn't ready at this stage so that put me back at bit mentally along with physically. I was still doing daily workouts on the exercise bike and that was helping a little, but had fallen off the the wagon with the stretches and S&C. I needed to dig a bit and reset myself for a couple of weeks.

I then tested 15 minutes on the local pitches then one evening in late March and I got through that. I then tried 20-25 over the next few runs on grass that also went ok.

I was now back been religious with pre and post run stretches and in a better place generally.

I'm learning as I go along what I can or cant get away with at present. I tried a 35 minute road run soon after, but I got my first reaction out of this one possibly as I didn't stretch before hand. I dialled back on grass for an easy 5k the next day and that worked fine too.

First week back I completed about 17 miles easy followed by 21 miles the next week. I will be keeping to 5 days easy running for the foreseeable future with a slight increase in the "long run" to gauge where I am. I will diall back and take extra days off whenever I feel the need. I'm aware this will be a slow burner but i have a bit of weight to shift at the same time.:)

I bought a pair Recovery/rehab OOFos flip flops. They have been a bit of game changer for just wearing knocking about the house. Anyway onwards and upwards :)

Good luck with the recovery, I find if I don’t religiously attend to my rehab I alway suffer set backs. Patience and consistency aren’t my strongest traits!

What the hell are those flip flops, link?

Thanks

TbL

Good luck with the recovery, I find if I don’t religiously attend to my rehab I alway suffer set backs. Patience and consistency aren’t my strongest traits!

What the hell are those flip flops, link?

Thanks

TbL

pricey for flip flops but cheap for house shoes

https://www.therunhub.ie/accessories/recovery-rehab/oofos-ooriginal-sport-cloud/33983

If they did them in a “pool sandal” style I’d buy them, could never hack flip flops with the bit between your toes!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

If they did them in a “pool sandal” style I’d buy them, could never hack flip flops with the bit between your toes!!

TbL

You can get a slider version - here

ariana` wrote: »

He just wants them for the aul socks and sandals look.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »

They are the job, perfect.

Only problem is I haven’t been a size 3 in over 50 years :) (they’re out of every other size)

TbL

He just wants them for the aul socks and sandals sandals look.

It’s almost summer in Connemara and I need to look my stylish best.

They don’t call me the Count of Connemara for nothing

(I think some of them drop one of the vowels :):))

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you back D! Best of luck with the recovery.

I keep meaning to get myself a pair of those flip flops...my birthday list is growing longer every time I come onto boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

TbL

I was the same but got the bit between the toes ones last year and got used to them in no time. They are the business, super comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Hi Lambay Island, I'm going through something very similar at the moment with PF but not quite back running yet. Can I ask if you were completely pain free before you started back?

token56 wrote: »
    Hi Lambay Island, I'm going through something very similar at the moment with PF but not quite back running yet. Can I ask if you were completely pain free before you started back?

Hi. I haven't been looking much at the training logs lately so just had a look through your recent posts just now. I seem to be at a very familiar stage as you and can relate to all of what u say . I was doing about 150km a week on the bike myself and also took a couple of months off running. I am by no means perfect but I'm not in pain. I will get a bit of discomfort from time to time a couple of hours after running. There are days I feel nothing at all. Ive switched to more running in the evening at present as it gives me much more time off my feet afterwards. I would prefer to run early morn but I'm prepared to do what is best for my recovery at the minute. I'm running about 75% on grass too at the minute.While running ,Im feeling more discomfort in other muscles like hamstring/calf at the moment which I think(is good) means I'm using those muscles more and lessening the impact on the fascia.

Best of luck it your recovery, its such a poxy injury

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great to see this log back in whatever form it takes.

As you know I missed the bones of 3 months last summer with a foot issue. It was a very slow progression back to running. 6 months later I'm running 100k a week for last 6 weeks and all good. S&C is important but specific strength for the foot even more so as you are not pounding roads.

Good call on flip flops. I went with slippers and it really made a difference. Being around the house constantly in my bare feet, especially on hard surfaces, was not helping.

It sounds like you are being careful but get rid of the idea of a "long run", even if it just a mile longer than others. Consistent short runs more important. You could always do 2 miles in the morning and 2 miles in the evening.

Anyway, glad you are on the road to recovery :)

Just ordered a pair of those posh sandals, if they don’t have me running a sub 39 min 10k you’ll be hearing from my lawyer :)

TbL

Just ordered a pair of those posh sandals, if they don’t have me running a sub 39 min 10k you’ll be hearing from my lawyer :)

TbL

I believe that makes me an influencer.

I ended up slightly upping it to 23 easy miles over 5 days last week. Nothing really of note on any of the runs apart from the general happiness of been able to get out and run.

As innocuous injuries go, I picked up another one of Friday. My five year old cycles to and from school. I often collect him on my own bike with my 2 year old on the back. My 2yo didn't fancy the bike that day so put her in the stroller. Whatever way I went to push it, I managed to put my foot on one of the wheels and rolled my ankle front ways on it. I was in immediate pain but it subsided very quickly. It seemed like i may have stopped it before it got too bad. I have done ligaments in ankle before from rolling it but generally on the lateral side so familiar with pain.

Anyway did an easy 10km on Saturday followed by a bit of digging in the garden. It wasn't until I woke up on Sunday morning that it seemed to hit me. I have struggled to walk without a limp since. The previous days happening must have aggravated it. I'm hoping it's a very quick one and a fews days off it will do the trick, as frustration levels are at an all time high.

• Advertisement

Last 3 weeks have consisted of a slight increase week on week.
    27 Miles
    31 Miles
    32 Miles
    The ankle injury mentioned in above post seemed to vanish as quick as it came, thank fook.
    I wont go into detail on individual runs, as it will bore me as much penning it as it will anyone else reading it. They have basically consisted of about 90% easy running on the pitches in the local parks(mainly Marlay)

On the go ahead from the physio, I can now include one faster type run once a week as long as I'm not on the feet too long, Ideally this to be done on grass or a track. Other instructions from Physio include 5 day max and wear good good supportive runners as much as possible. i.e. and not switching too much between shoes on every run. I have wore down the Saucony speeds on grass the last few weeks ;) . I'm also kind of content around the 50km a week territory at the minute. Any time I have added anything extra or unplanned i have felt the pinch in the foot later on at some stage. I'm in no rush at the minute.
    Ideally , I want to do an Autumn marathon but i need to be at a stage in about 5 weeks that I feel I could kick into Marathon training - Time will tell. I certainly won't be doing anything virtual anyway on that front this year.

Some sharp eyes on Strava may have copped I threw in a few faster type reps the other day. I clicked on the link for the 5,000 Metres races down in Leixlip last week and it had sold out a few hours earlier. I clicked into the time slots nonetheless and there seemed to be still space in one slot, so I snuck in and entered for this Saturday. If it was a road race, i wouldn't have entered but due to be on a track with no footwear rules, the physio was also happy for me to have a go and see how much fitness Ive lost since my last 5k :) I have absolutely no time target or pressure here which is great. I simply want to feel what a race type situation feels like again as its 14 months since my last one.

I will soon enter into a new category in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I dont think its going to bring any soft race wins when I see the likes of Healy, Comic Book Guy and Treviso to name just a few are already in this category :)

I have treated myself to an early birthday present though - New Balance Fuelcell RC Elites (I hear ears pricking up, down in Limerick)
    I put them on yesterday for a 50 minute run. Verdict very comfortable like the TC version but a lighter feel. They seemed to respond when I put in a quicker mile too but not to the same extent as the Next % on first thought(although that could be my fitness too at the min)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Did someone say new runners?!?

I'm a huge fan of the TC. One of my favourite pairs in my collection.
    Which of course makes me curious about the RC. Given the price tag I expect its a racer more than a training shoe.
    Where would they fit for you ie. what would you use them for?

Did someone say new runners?!?

I'm a huge fan of the TC. One of my favourite pairs in my collection.
    Which of course makes me curious about the RC. Given the price tag I expect its a racer more than a training shoe.
    Where would they fit for you ie. what would you use them for?

Yes I used the T'Cs for all my L's long runs in training for marathon last year. I was a big fan myself. Both shoes split on me after about 160 miles but still got more legs out of them for easier running. I got the exact size then while I have gone a half size up now with the elites. Yes, they are planned to be used as a racer unless a nike fairy leaves me a rather big voucher for my birthday(no chance) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I have wore down the Saucony speeds on grass the last few weeks ;)

Jaysus, don't mention that you use the Speeds on grass - that's nearly as bad as using the 4% on hill sprints ;)
    I will soon enter into a new category in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I dont think its going to bring any soft race wins when I see the likes of Healy, Comic Book Guy and Treviso to name just a few are already in this category :)
    Whilst I'm happy to see my name mentioned here, I think we'll all agree that you'll be flying past us all again once you get back to some consistent running

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

How did i miss the Speeds comment!!..................Still not quite as bad as the 4% on hills though...
    Plus Lambay is excused as he was injured..Anything that brings any joy when going through an injury phase is acceptable. lol

1 step fwd, 2 back.

Monday off

Tuesday 7 miles easy around the grass of Marlay

Wednesday 2.45 min reps by 4 at 5k effort. Like my 5k reps last week, I did this all off feel without looking at pace on watch. They all fell in the 5.40-45 bracket which was closer to my 10k pace last year. I was never looking at sub 17 this week as nowhere near the shape I was in the last previous 2 time's I dipped in the 16,s.. My thought process for Saturday was go out at sub 18 pace and push on for last 800 if possible. I was also conscious of never racing on a track and if there was any endurance there.

Thursdays and Friday were just a few more easy miles with strides to leave me at approx 20 miles for mon- Fri.

Saturday: I felt I had prepared well and was really looking forward to race.
    Whatever way I slept on Friday night, I frustratingly woke up with a very tight lower back. I took a couple of nurofen and planned to take it easy for the morn. Unfortunately the tightness never subsided. I had all the gear on and ready to go. I was even testing out in my garden if I could run. I had almost convinced myself I could when my wife said "your grimacing and you can't even stand straight - what are you at?"

With that little slice of truth, I got on to pop up and begrudgingly withdrew from the race. I was fairly annoyed at first but I'm glad I didn't run as I would have done further damage at best and probably would have lost confidence with a DNF. Looking at results, I would have had a good chance of winning my race if I didnt have the knock but there will be other days...

Sunday- no running

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sorry to hear about the back D, probably smartest decision not racing alright. Hopefully it won’t keep you off the roads for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear about the back. Is this a recurring issue? Definitely the right thing to pull out. Back trouble needs to be carefully managed.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the back D, probably smartest decision not racing alright. Hopefully it won’t keep you off the roads for long.

Cheers B, It was a bit of a "A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other" situation.I'd imagine it will pass over next day or so, already subsided a tad - thanks

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the back. Is this a recurring issue? Definitely the right thing to pull out. Back trouble needs to be carefully managed.

cheers. It is and it isn't. Its happened before, back in October as I was beginning to taper for a marathon. After a bit of solid advice from TBL amongst others around the time, I included more core work and it hadn't happened since. Lately,I have been working more on my legs to take the pressure off the fascia so the core work had become a bit more infrequent TBF. Homework pending .....

Advertisement