Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 :Round 2 Imola

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

More spinnies from Mazepin.

He really is terrible. Any funding he is bringing to the team this year will be offset on car repairs. He seems to be wrecking cars all of the time. He is a liability and I dont think he is good enough for F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You cannot beat a wet, or showery race.

Great action, great drama.

Races like that are the best F1 races.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Usually I would always watch live, but I had to head out/was forced to head out by herself, yesterday afternoon. :pac:

Decided to put the phone away with the hope of watching the extended highlights on Channel 4 at 6:30pm.

Somehow I managed to avoid the results or any news of the race and had a very enjoyable evening watching the above.

I have viewed the Channel 4 highlights package the odd time previously but I have to admit I was very impressed with it. Decent amount of pre-race build up, they showed the vast majority of the actual race and then a nice bit of post-race stuff too.

With the (hopefully) good weather on the horizon during summer it's something I think I will do more often. There's obviously no substitute for watching the race live but the timing can be a pain.

Anyone else do similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

God I loved that race, waited all day to watch it and had delicious beer in hand.

I think we might get more of this as the season goes on, Max was really on it at the start with Lewis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Even if there was a twitch right from Bottas, there was a cars width left for Russell but he went right, caught the grass and that was that. I can understand why Russell would try to avoid Bottas if he thought he was coming across but at the same time, it's up to him to keep the car on the road and the space was there.

Yeah I read Russell say something to the affect that Bottas shouldn't have defended so aggressively because ninth didn't mean much to Bottas in the Mercedes but it means everything to Williams. I couldn't help thinking that things might have gotten to his head from the end of last year. Nobody else needs to fight less hard to allow him to score a fairy tale point for Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yeah I read Russell say something to the affect that Bottas shouldn't have defended so aggressively because ninth didn't mean much to Bottas in the Mercedes but it means everything to Williams. I couldn't help thinking that things might have gotten to his head from the end of last year. Nobody else needs to fight less hard to allow him to score a fairy tale point for Williams.

Actually kind of like seeing a bit of fire from Russell rather than his normal somewhat boring nice guy persona.

Doesn’t mean he’s right. But I like the sort of old school F1 arrogance at times.

He also I think suggested if it was another driver he’d have given him space pointing towards a bit of rivalry between the two for that seat.

Bottas giving the finger definitely wound him up.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Actually kind of like seeing a bit of fire from Russell rather than his normal somewhat boring nice guy persona.

Doesn’t mean he’s right. But I like the sort of old school F1 arrogance at times.

He also I think suggested if it was another driver he’d have given him space pointing towards a bit of rivalry between the two for that seat.

Bottas giving the finger definitely wound him up.

I can't argue with that.

He has revised his version of events since seeing the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Whatever about straight after the incident, being fired up and pīssed off but his interview was silly. I was delighted when he drove the race for Mercedes last year and was hoping he'd do well but I've been put off him a bit now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Whatever about straight after the incident, being fired up and pīssed off but his interview was silly. I was delighted when he drove the race for Mercedes last year and was hoping he'd do well but I've been put off him a bit now to be honest.

Russell appears to regret the interview. I get where you’re coming from.

It isn’t the first or won’t be the last time we see a driver lose their cool in a post race interview. I’d say nearly all drivers have done it. Russell maybe has a bit to learn yet about that side of things but I actually quite like that sort of outburst to keep it entertaining at times.

Personally enjoy when a driver who normally seems very scripted or media managed breaks that character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm hoping the Bottas-Russell feud will keep on going until punches are thrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the Bottas-Russell feud will keep on going until punches are thrown.

the sport certainly needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Russell appears to regret the interview. I get where you’re coming from.

It isn’t the first or won’t be the last time we see a driver lose their cool in a post race interview. I’d say nearly all drivers have done it. Russell maybe has a bit to learn yet about that side of things but I actually quite like that sort of outburst to keep it entertaining at times.

Personally enjoy when a driver who normally seems very scripted or media managed breaks that character.

You mean Toto has told him what to say abd he said it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Russell also seemed to have forgotten that Mercedes are in a battle with Red Bull for the constructors. The way he was talking yesterday he gave the impression the Bottas should have just let him take the dry line and breeze past him.

You can guarantee that Toto and/or his PR manager had a big say in posting that apology!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BrentMused wrote: »
    Usually I would always watch live, but I had to head out/was forced to head out by herself, yesterday afternoon. :pac:

Decided to put the phone away with the hope of watching the extended highlights on Channel 4 at 6:30pm.

Somehow I managed to avoid the results or any news of the race and had a very enjoyable evening watching the above.

I have viewed the Channel 4 highlights package the odd time previously but I have to admit I was very impressed with it. Decent amount of pre-race build up, they showed the vast majority of the actual race and then a nice bit of post-race stuff too.

With the (hopefully) good weather on the horizon during summer it's something I think I will do more often. There's obviously no substitute for watching the race live but the timing can be a pain.

Anyone else do similar?

I paid a tenner to watch on sky via Now TV and it was grand, I’ll probably do the same for the next. I don’t think it’s worth adding the sports channels to my virgin media when all I’ll be watching is formula 1 once a month ish. I’d recommend it if you want to watch the full thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

MadYaker wrote: »
    I paid a tenner to watch on sky via Now TV and it was grand, I’ll probably do the same for the next. I don’t think it’s worth adding the sports channels to my virgin media when all I’ll be watching is formula 1 once a month ish. I’d recommend it if you want to watch the full thing.

With NowTV you would be as well signing up to the 3 months half price sports package (excluding BT) and cancel it in the last month. It’s just under €60 and you’d get 8 races as it stands plus quali as well as other sports. Day pass is a bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

flazio wrote: »

Takes a lot to put your hand up and say sorry. Fair play to George.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Takes a lot to put your hand up and say sorry. Fair play to George.

Ah, it doesn't really... Whether he wanted to or not, that statement had to be released.

Ah, it doesn't really... Whether he wanted to or not, that statement had to be released.

This is it though We will never know what he thinks or how he feels about it. The PR people are now back in control and the driver is just delivering the PR lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There have been plenty of f1 drivers over the years who have been utterly incapable of ever admitting they were in the wrong, justified or not, genuine or PR encouraged.

The crash had fault from both drivers, George's outbursts after were stupid, even if he is saying it through gritted teeth he is correcting the situation quickly.

Bottas' main problem here IMO is that he was only in the situation because he was so slow a Williams was overtaking him for scrap-points.

I can see his seat coming under threat very soon if his under performing compared to Lewis starts to threaten Merc's chances in the Constructor's Championship.

Funniest radio message of the day:

Lando: the clutch keeps slipping on the exit of corners.

Team: you keep getting the paddle Lando.

:pac:

The funniest I heard was Lance Strolls engineer telling him to drive faster to put out the fire on his brakes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

And can we all take a moment to appreciate Mick Schumacher's engineer. Very calming relaxed voice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

antodeco wrote: »
    And can we all take a moment to appreciate Mick Schumacher's engineer. Very calming relaxed voice

He must be very happy to have been assigned to that side of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Did anyone notice the pit crew guy in the (I think) Mercedes garage with a flatcap on instead of the full safety gear

This is it though We will never know what he thinks or how he feels about it. The PR people are now back in control and the driver is just delivering the PR lines.

Clearly his initial reaction was how he feels about it and the statement was his manager / toto

Advertisement