Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Fenton - Overrated?

• 18-04-2021 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

I've seen this lad touted as one of the best player to ever play the game the last few years, regularly. He's not even the best mid Dublin ever had, let alone the best Dublin player ever, let alone the best player ever. He's consistent and solid in a team that dominates, but not fit to lace the boots of the likes of Matt Connor or Maurice Fitzgerald.

I've also noticed anytime he's come up against Jack Barry from Kerry he's very quite, Barry hardly a Kerry all time great. Barry is a throw back to a midfielder of the past, maybe slow but can pick balls out of the air, a serious operator. Never seen Fenton get the better of him when Barry is on the field, even if Kerry lose.

If this Dublin side came up against the Meath teams of old, with Meaths hardened midfielders, I think Fenton would be made look decidedly average. Never seen such hype for a yes, good and consistent player, but all time great? No way. Everything seems the "best ever" nowadays with modern hype. He's a good solid player, nothing more surely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

:pac:

Someone clearly having a few cans of a Saturday. Barry was always put out to just do a job on Fenton and nothing else. That says enough that a team is willing to.sacrafice their own midfielder to try to counter his influence.

Fenton is the GOAT and its not even debatable. Not only is he the GOAT midfielder, he is one of the very best to ever play the game.

Unbeaten in inter county championship so far. I'd say his losses for Dublin you could count on one hand, though I cant be bothered to check. Possibly draws too.

A strange one that you think hes overrated at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

dobman88 wrote: »
    Fenton is the GOAT and its not even debatable. Not only is he the GOAT midfielder, he is one of the very best to ever play the game.

Ah here, he is an incredible player but let's not get too carried away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It’s hard to judge any Dublin player over the past 5 years because they never have to play under the cosh. Some are going through their careers largely untested in the real white heat of battle. It makes for a dull spectacle. Fenton has never lost a championship game shur.

They most remarkable thing about Fenton is I’ve never seen him tired in a game. He just operates on cruise control and his cardio blows away an Aidan O’Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

:pac:

Someone clearly having a few cans of a Saturday. Barry was always put out to just do a job on Fenton and nothing else. That says enough that a team is willing to.sacrafice their own midfielder to try to counter his influence.

Unbeaten in inter county championship so far. I'd say his losses for Dublin you could count on one hand, though I cant be bothered to check. Possibly draws too.

A strange one that you think hes overrated at all tbh.

It's a team game. Fenton is hardly the crux to their success. Any decent midfielder would be touted as the best ever in his role, in that juggernaut of a team.

Barry was put on him to do a job? Well he did a job on him repeatedly, hardly the hallmark off a great if Barry comes off each game the more impressive, whether Kerry win or lose. What stands out for me in the final and replay Kerry lost, is Barry pulling ball after ball out of the sky, with Fenton doing very little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's a team game. Fenton is hardly the crux to their success. Any decent midfielder would be touted as the best ever in his role, in that juggernaut of a team.

Barry was put on him to do a job? Well he did a job on him repeatedly, hardly the hallmark off a great if Barry comes off each game the more impressive, whether Kerry win or lose. What stands out for me in the final and replay Kerry lost, is Barry pulling ball after ball out of the sky, with Fenton doing very little

Well. I disagree. So I'll leave you to whatever point you're trying to make.

• Advertisement

Well. I disagree. So I'll leave you to whatever point you're trying to make.

He's overrated. You implied he was quite against Barry because Barry was sent out only to do that job, surely the greatest ever could shake Barry and come out looking better? Barry a middling Kerry player let's not forget. Looked a world beater v Fenton

It’s hard to judge any Dublin player over the past 5 years because they never have to play under the cosh. Some are going through their careers largely untested in the real white heat of battle. It makes for a dull spectacle. Fenton has never lost a championship game shur.

They most remarkable thing about Fenton is I’ve never seen him tired in a game. He just operates on cruise control and his cardio blows away an Aidan O’Shea.

I'd love to see them come up against a Meath team of old. Meath given the benefits of today's fitness, diets, science of the game etc. They'd do a job on this Dublin team imo, no competition at that level anymore. A Meath team is old would rattle them, this Dublin team has never faced something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Dont like comparing era's with changes in playing style, S&C etc. but I would have to rate him as the best midfielder of his generation, well aware of the quality around him but he has everything you would want from a modern day midfielder. Not a Dub BTW

He almost certainly is the GOAT.

Whether it’s a gaa player or a soccer player I judge players’ talent by the amount of tools they have.

Fenton has all the tools. He has all the skills of the game in and out of possession. He scores in every game he plays.

His body type is that of a middle distance Olympic track athlete.

It’s just a pity we’ve never seen him or his team put under that much pressure.

I’m not from Dublin.

I'd love to see them come up against a Meath team of old. Meath given the benefits of today's fitness, diets, science of the game etc. They'd do a job on this Dublin team imo, no competition at that level anymore. A Meath team is old would rattle them, this Dublin team has never faced something like that

I’d put that firmly in the maybe pile. Especially if the ref was applying today’s rules rather than the 90s where foul play was often rewarded instead of punished. That isn’t a go at meath, it’s just a very different game now.

• Advertisement

Dont like comparing era's with changes in playing style, S&C etc. but I would have to rate him as the best midfielder of his generation, well aware of the quality around him but he has everything you would want from a modern day midfielder.

He's the best of his generation, but the standard is dire, midfield in particular. Even traditional countys like Meath, Cork or Galway are poor by their own standard's.

I just don't think he's been tested to the point he could be called anywhere near the greatest. And as I said, Jack Barry, has looked more impressive anytime I've seen them face off. Barry a man who strikes me as someone who plays now and again, casually when it takes his fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

i think he absolute quality and has brought more scores into his game in recent times. not saying he is best ever but the he deserves to be included in any of the conversations his name gets mentioned in, 2 poty 6 all irelands, great footballer. if his career keeps going ob the way it has to now it would be hard to call him anything other than the best ever

He's the best of his generation, but the standard is dire, midfield in particular. Even traditional countys like Meath, Cork or Galway are poor by their own standard's.

I just don't think he's been tested to the point he could be called anywhere near the greatest. And as I said, Jack Barry, has looked more impressive anytime I've seen them face off. Barry a man who strikes me as someone who plays now and again, casually when it takes his fancy
    In terms of fitness I'd argue the standards have never been higher, in terms of a spectacle the game might not be in a great state with players over programmed and attacking talent not having as much opportunity to flourish, the whole traditional man on man element is not a pronounced now with teams obsessed with structures and not leaving there defenders 1 on 1 with marquee forwards.

I'll put it this way. This Dublin side has faced 2 teams that are serious opponents, Mayo and Kerry. Mayo are a soft touch let's be honest, and O'Shea is a micronism for their bottling nature imo.

So we're left with Kerry. Their midfielder to face Fenton, let's face it, the part time Jack Barry who's in and out of the team. Can anyone really say, Fenton the best ever, came out looking the better against his part time adversary in any game, his only competition really? If anyone is honest with themselves the answer is no.

Yet people call him the best ever. I must say, if that's the case, Kerry people seriously underrate Jack Barry. Dominated midfield against Dublin anytime he's been on the pitch imo, league or championship and has done it consistently

I'll put it this way. This Dublin side has faced 2 teams that are serious opponents, Mayo and Kerry. Mayo are a soft touch let's be honest, and O'Shea is a micronism for their bottling nature imo.

So we're left with Kerry. Their midfielder to face Fenton, let's face it, the part time Jack Barry who's in and out of the team. Can anyone really say, Fenton the best ever, came out looking the better against his part time adversary in any game, his only competition really? If anyone is honest with themselves the answer is no.

Yet people call him the best ever. I must say, if that's the case, Kerry people seriously underrate Jack Barry. Dominated midfield against Dublin anytime he's been on the pitch imo, league or championship and has done it consistently
    Seems to be a Eamon Dunphy/ Wes Holohan vibe to yourself and Jack Barry.

Yeah maybe drop the Jack Barry obsession, just analyze Fenton as a player and tell us where you think where his weaknesses are.

Seems to be a Eamon Dunphy/ Wes Holohan vibe to yourself and Jack Barry.

No, but what other test has Fenton had? That's it, literally. And he didn't pass that test imo

Yeah maybe drop the Jack Barry obsession, just analyze Fenton as a player and tell us where you think where his weaknesses are.

It's not an obsession. I'm not from Kerry nor care about Barry. But he's been Fenton's only real challenge on the big stage, and outperformed him repeatedly. This a subpar Kerry player versus the greatest of all time we're told.

Unfortunately The best midfielder in the past few years apart from Fenton is Gary Brennan but Brennan played for a county that couldn’t hold a candle to Dublin.

The frustration of the intercounty limitations mean the best don’t get to face their rivals all that much.

It's not an obsession. I'm not from Kerry nor care about Barry. But he's been Fenton's only real challenge on the big stage, and outperformed him repeatedly. This a subpar Kerry player versus the greatest of all time we're told.

If you want to properly judge players judge them on their merits. Pick out weaknesses in Fenton’s game. If you can’t then ask yourself...if there’s a reason why you can’t.

• Advertisement

I’d put that firmly in the maybe pile. Especially if the ref was applying today’s rules rather than the 90s where foul play was often rewarded instead of punished. That isn’t a go at meath, it’s just a very different game now.

An old Meath team would rattle them and put doubt in their head. Hit them hard unlike anything they've ever faced. Hypothetical but this Dublin team wouldn't know what hit them imo. And if the game was in the melting pot Meath would have had the nerve to down them, infact that's when Meath were at their best. Too many teams panic v Dublin now. They are fortunate they never crossed the Meath teams of old imo

Would the fact Kerry put so much envious on trying to stop Fenton show how highly they rate him?

They essentially approached him the same way a team would for Clifford, O'Callaghan, Michael Murphy etc.

If you want to properly judge players judge them on their merits. Pick out weaknesses in Fenton’s game. If you can’t then ask yourself...if there’s a reason why you can’t.

John McDermott never had a weakness either per say. Nor did Niall Buckley from Kildare. Doesn't mean they were the greatest. They had real competition though

Would the fact Kerry put so much envious on trying to stop Fenton show how highly they rate him?

They essentially approached him the same way a team would for Clifford, O'Callaghan, Michael Murphy etc.

The only way they approached him was to put Barry in midfield. Nothing else was needed, as Barry had done him in the league. It's not as if they were out putting 3 players on him

An old Meath team would rattle them and put doubt in their head. Hit then hard unlike anything they've ever faced. Hypothetical but this Dublin team wouldn't know what hit them imo. And if the game was in the melting pot Meath would have the nerve to down them, infact that's when Meath are at their best. Too many teams panic v Dublin now. They are fortunate they never crossed the Meath teams of old imo

Personally I think any county team from this era would destroy any county team from the 90s. The games of old were exciting but the carefree attitude towards possession, the absolutely awful shot selection and the constant stupid fouling are just a handful of the reasons I’d see it as lopsided.

The only way the approached him was to put Barry in midfield. Nothing else was needed, as Barry had done him in the league. It's not as if they were out putting 3 players on him
    you still haven't been able to identify an weakness in Fenton's game...

Personally I think any county team from this era would destroy any county team from the 90s. The games of old were exciting but the carefree attitude towards possession, the absolutely awful shot selection and the constant stupid fouling are just a handful of the reasons I’d see it as lopsided.

Ye if you brought the team of old straight into this era. But give them the same benefits, or take away the current benefits of Dublin and level the playing field it's different game. Talent doesn't change era to era, standards do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Maybe he just had a bad day but in a bad Kildare team, Kevin Feely gave him a lesson in fielding in 2017.

He's a good solid player and would be a huge bonus to any county but this GOAT stuff is nonsense.

you still haven't been able to identify an weakness in Fenton's game...

He wilts on the big occasion, when he meets someone who's a match for him. Niall Buckley didn't despite winning very little. If Niall Buckley, Ciaran Whelan or John McDermott played in this Dublin team, they'd be the GOAT too

• Advertisement

John McDermott never had a weakness either per say. Nor did Niall Buckley from Kildare. Doesn't mean they were the greatest. They had real competition though

Don’t remember McDermott or Buckley ever scoring near to the level Fenton does from play.

McDermott was a tough excellent midfielder but I don’t think he has near the skill level Fenton possesses.

He wilts on the big occasion

C’mon like.. he’s never lost a championship game. I know you believe your own argument and that’s fair enough but you can’t expect anyone else to be convinced by that argument. If he wilted on big days he wouldn’t be in the Dublin team, nevermind player of the year.

He wilts on the big occasion, when he meets someone who's a match for him. Niall Buckley didn't despite winning very little. If Niall Buckley, Ciaran Whelan or John McDermott played in this Dublin team, they'd be the GOAT too
    Wilts on the big occasion!! Dublin whatever people's opinion is of them have won numerous games down the final stretch against Kerry and Mayo in the last 6-7 years with Fenton been instrumental in that, I'm starting to think you need to lay off the cans.

Don’t remember McDermott or Buckley ever scoring near to the level Fenton does from play.

McDermott was a tough excellent midfielder but I don’t think he has near the skill level Fenton possesses.

They never had a set up as handy, back door or multiple other factors in their favour. You really believe, if playing in this Dublin team, they wouldn't do what Fenton does and more? They carried teams when all odds were stacked against them, were giants when the crunch came down, never once was Fenton in that position

Wilts on the big occasion!! Dublin whatever people's opinion is of them have won numerous games down the final stretch against Kerry and Mayo in the last 6-7 years with Fenton been instrumental in that, I'm starting to think you need to lay off the cans.

He was part of a great team. I don't remember him ever being instrumental against Kerry, as he was in Jack Barry's pocket, who played two huge games against Dublin and laid the foundation for Kerry's fight from the center.

Dublin would of over run Kerry in both games in the final only for Barry, who broke up everything and fielded everything to turn the possession back on Dublin. Fenton was a bystander, Barry was immense. That's the reality

They never had a set up as handy, back door or multiple other factors in their favour. You really believe, if playing in this Dublin team, they wouldn't do what Fenton does and more? They carried teams when all odds were stacked against them, were giants when the crunch came down, never once was Fenton in that position

I know it, McDermott wasn’t a very skillful player. He was a brilliant fielder and physical presence but Fenton has those attributes and skill and incomparable fitness levels plus 3 more all Ireland’s and a POTY.

• Advertisement

I know it, McDermott wasn’t a very skillful player. He was a brilliant fielder and physical presence but Fenton has those attributes and skill and incomparable fitness levels plus 3 more all Ireland’s and a POTY.

He's simply been never tested imo to be called the greatest, or come anywhere close. That's not to say he wouldn't if tested, but his performances v Kerry leave alot to be desired imo. That's all I can rate him on really

He's simply been never tested imo to be called the greatest, or come anywhere close. That's not to say he wouldn't if tested, but his performances v Kerry leave alot to be desired imo. That's all I can rate him on really

I agree he hasn’t been tested as Dublin are largely unbeatable. And that’s a pity.

But I rate players by the tools they have. Fenton has all the tools. His competition doesn’t.

think you're over egging the Kerry element too, Barry did a great job on him in the drawn game in 2019, can't remember Fenton been anonymous outside of that, obviously not as important but in the league game between the teams in 2020 when crowds could go I think Fenton might even have been man of the match.

I agree he hasn’t been tested as Dublin are largely unbeatable. And that’s a pity.

But I rate players by the tools they have. Fenton has all the tools. His competition doesn’t.

The greatest in any era will be great in any era. That I'm not disputing. He would be great in any era. But there seems to be a narrative of calling him the greatest ever which I have a gripe with. He simply can't be put ahead of players who went through brick walls for their team like McDermott when under serious pressure, who came out on top

People are too quick to come out with this GOAT stuff. I hate Kildare, but Niall Buckley was a force of nature, the best midfielder I ever saw. For people to so casually put Fenton ahead of him is wrong on many levels

The greatest in any era will be great in any era. That I'm not disputing. He would be great in any era. But there seems to be a narrative of calling him the greatest ever which I have a gripe with. He simply can't be put ahead of players who went through brick walls for their team like McDermott when under serious pressure, who came out on top

People are too quick to come out with this GOAT stuff. I hate Kildare, but Niall Buckley was a force of nature, the best midfielder I ever saw. For people to so casually put Fenton ahead of him is wrong on many levels

Well fair enough, Buckley and McDermott (and Tohill) were great in their era.

You put their CVs against Fenton’s and it tells a story.

You analyze Fenton’s game for weaknesses and again it tells a story.

• Advertisement

think you're over egging the Kerry element too, Barry did a great job on him in the drawn game in 2019, can't remember Fenton been anonymous outside of that, obviously not as important but in the league game between the teams in 2020 when crowds could go I think Fenton might even have been man of the match.

Your dismissing the league game too. That's the point. Fenton's only true competition has been against Barry, and on the 4 occasions they met I think it was, Barry did him.

Point is Barry is a middling player. If he's more than fit for Fenton, how on earth is he the GOAT? When his only competition regularly out performs him, a man not even guaranteed a spot in the Kerry team

Well fair enough, Buckley and McDermott (and Tohill) were great in their era.

You put their CVs against Fenton’s and it tells a story.

You analyze Fenton’s game for weaknesses and again it tells a story.

If Buckley was in this Dublin team his CV would be the same, only he'd have been man of the match v Kerry. He was big in stature, Jack Barry made Fenton look small in stature. Therein lies his weakness

Your dismissing the league game too. That's the point. Fenton's only true competition has been against Barry, and on the 4 occasions they met I think it was, Barry did him.

Point is Barry is a middling player. If he's more than fit for Fenton, how on earth is he the GOAT? When his only competition regularly out performs him, a man not even guaranteed a spot in the Kerry team
    I never said Fenton was the GOAT, I said Fenton was the best midfielder of his generation, you agreed, you also said Fenton is overrated I think that's rubbish.As I mentioned previously I think comparing era's is almost pointless but I would say Fenton and O'Callaghan are arguably the really special players currently in the Dublin team, McCaffrey if he was there you could make an argument for, Cluxton is unbelievable but does have an armchair ride at times while Kilkenny and McCarthy are relentless,very consistent and good leaders.

I never said Fenton was the GOAT, I said Fenton was the best midfielder of his generation, you agreed, you also said Fenton is overrated I think that's rubbish.As I mentioned previously I think comparing era's is almost pointless but I would say Fenton and O'Callaghan are arguably the really special players currently in the Dublin team, McCaffrey if he was there you could make an argument for, Cluxton is unbelievable but does have an armchair ride at times while Kilkenny and McCarthy are relentless,very consistent and good leaders.

I never said you said he was the GOAT, I said many people think he is, hence the fact I say he's overrated and the point of the thread.

He's the best midfielder of his generation as the competition is poor, but for professionalism and consistency he's the only candidate. But if I had to pick a midfielder to field balls that my life depended on, I'd take Jack Barry over him anyday, which isn't a great indictment of someone people call the best ever

It must be said though, Jack Barry gets a raw deal and is very underrated. I'm not from Kerry but he seems to get criticism for not being fit enough or inconsistent, to the point he can't hold down a regular spot.

But when the chips are down against Dublin they call upon him. It says alot that the greatest team of all time, containing apparently the best player of all time, will rather bypass midfield when he's on the pitch than go through midfield. Big game player who dominates the whole half way line with a huge presence. Brushed Fenton off like he was nothing, particularly in the first drawn game

It must be said though, Jack Barry gets a raw deal and is very underrated. I'm not from Kerry but he seems to get criticism for not being fit enough or inconsistent, to the point he can't hold down a regular spot.

But when the chips are down against Dublin they call upon him. It says alot that the greatest team of all time, containing apparently the best player of all time, will rather bypass midfield when he's on the pitch than go through midfield. Big game player who dominates the whole half way line with a huge presence. Brushed Fenton off like he was nothing, particularly in the first drawn game
    jeez you were all over the place, went from calling Jack Barry average to very underrated, also don't think people are as dismissive of him as you makeout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

He's the best all round midfielder in the naughties...he's a brilliant player and is in no way overrated.
    I don't think you can can compare modern midfielders easily to the best of the 80's,90's and 00's, the role is vastly different in the present game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The way The Golden Miller is talking about the Meath team in the 80's you'd swear they were the best to ever grace the sport!

Have a look at some of them games from the 80's on YouTube and you'll quickly realise the standard is awful.

The only way that Meath would be able to handle the Dublin team of today along with Fenton would be to resort to the darks arts that they were able to get away with back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

An old Meath team would rattle them and put doubt in their head. Hit them hard unlike anything they've ever faced. Hypothetical but this Dublin team wouldn't know what hit them imo. And if the game was in the melting pot Meath would have had the nerve to down them, infact that's when Meath were at their best. Too many teams panic v Dublin now. They are fortunate they never crossed the Meath teams of old imo

That's nostalgic BS. An old Meath team wouldn't get near today's players.

Liam Hayes had a few spectacular moments but was often marked out of games for long periods. Joe Cassells and McEntee were solid midfielders but nothing special.

John McDermott was a very good midfielder but the game has changed. He wouldn't have the scoring skill of Fenton. Nigel Crawford, average.

Brian Mullins, Jack O'Shea were better than McDermott.

Brian McGilligan, Kevin Walsh, Shea Fahy, Darragh O'Shea, Liam McHale, Dermot Early senior, Paul McGrane, Niall Buckley etc all as good as McDermott.

Nothing terribly special about Meath midfielders. In the Dublin v Meath 1991 games Dublin dominated midfield throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I hope the head is not too bad today. That must have been some feed of beer you had yesterday. Or you just decided to be a little mischievous and throw out a wind-up in the middle of the night.

You mentioned that Fenton is not the greatest midfielder that Dublin had. Out of curiosity, what other Dublin midfielder would you deem to be better than Fenton.

• Advertisement
Advertisement