Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

J&J causes blood clots also. Again % is low

Higher blood clots from birth control to AZ vaccine and nobody seems to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Chivito550 wrote: »
    They've really destroyed this country. Firstly create mass hysteria about the problem (the virus). Then compliment it with mass hysteria about the solution (the vaccine). People are now trapped between two walls of hysteria and don't know how to break out of it.

It's utterly disgusting, and the media have a huge part to play in this.

Like I said, stop peddling "they've really destroyed this county" when it's a worldwide commonalty as to how the vaccines are being handled.

The grass isn't greener. There's plenty of criticism to be made, but the ridiculous idea that it's only NPHET/FF/MM etc in Ireland that are making these sort of decisions is frankly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

J&J they were saying, as it is single dose, would be targeted towards people who were unlikely to return for second dose, homeless, those with psychiatric issues etc

First batch anyway. Though with 600,000 doses due to us in Q2, I imagine significant numbers were also meant for general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like I said, stop peddling "they've really destroyed this county" when it's a worldwide commonalty as to how the vaccines are being handled.

The grass isn't greener. There's plenty of criticism to be made, but the ridiculous idea that it's only NPHET/FF/MM etc in Ireland that are making these sort of decisions is frankly stupid.

But every country seems to have different rules for the AZ vaccine. That to me says there is not enough information for them to make an inform decision

Ireland has the longest lockdown in Europe. Other countries may dip in and out. We stay in it. We as a nation are followers, not leaders.

• Advertisement

But every country seems to have different rules for the AZ vaccine. That to me says there is not enough information for them to make an inform decision

Some are as strict as ours, some are stricter, some less strict.

There's obviously enough info for states worldwide to take a cautious approach of varying degrees at the moment. Like Covid when it first arrived, it took a while to understand it better.

Ireland has the longest lockdown in Europe. Other countries my dip in and out. We stay in it. We as a nation are followers, not leaders.

Don't be changing the subject though, AZ has nothing to do with the lockdown history. The debate is about people misrepresenting how Ireland somehow seem to be an outlier in how it's rolling out the AZ vaccine.

Some are as strict as ours, some are stricter, some less strict.

There's obviously enough info for states worldwide to take a cautious approach of varying degrees at the moment. Like Covid when it first arrived, it took a while to understand it better.

Surely if enough info, it would provide a clear path for all countries to follow. At least in Europe there should be an agreed path.

We are very extra cautious in this country, i get it why, because of what our society has become over the years with the claim culture.

In a way you could say we brought it all on ourselves :(

Don't be changing the subject though, AZ has nothing to do with the lockdown history. The debate is about people misrepresenting how Ireland somehow seem to be an outlier in how it's rolling out the AZ vaccine.

4 out of every million get a blood clot.

1 out of every million MIGHT die (not even WILL die).

If there was a 0.0004% chance of getting badly injured when you get into your car would people still do it?

It's a total overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Ireland has the longest lockdown in Europe. Other countries may dip in and out. We stay in it. We as a nation are followers, not leaders.

That is a very broad statement that doesn't take nuance into account. We were never really in a strict lockdown in this country IMO. Yes, we have lots of restrictions but were always allowed certain freedoms. Spain and others had actual lockdowns where you literally were not allowed outside your door. Many people would take longer periods of restrictions over any period of actual lockdown. Not saying one is better than the other, but to say all lockdowns are equal is very misleading and to say that we have the longest lockdown is equally misleading.

• Advertisement

4 out of every million get a blood clot.

1 out of every million MIGHT die (not even WILL die).

If there was a 0.0004% chance of getting badly injured when you get into your car would people still do it?

It's a total overreaction.

I said earlier I'd take it tomorrow, but that's irrelevant to how states, the world over, approach these things.

I said earlier I'd take it tomorrow, but that's irrelevant to how states, the world over, approach these things.

Looks like J&J be next to stall :(

Light at the end of the tunnel getting dimmer again.

I have adapted pretty well to lockdown, but gotta feel for all the people that are really suffering now and missing out on lifetime experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭event

EC1000 wrote: »
    That is a very broad statement that doesn't take nuance into account. We were never really in a strict lockdown in this country IMO. Yes, we have lots of restrictions but were always allowed certain freedoms. Spain and others had actual lockdowns where you literally were not allowed outside your door. Many people would take longer periods of restrictions over any period of actual lockdown. Not saying one is better than the other, but to say all lockdowns are equal is very misleading and to say that we have the longest lockdown is equally misleading.

Yep. A guy I know, his brother is in Paris. Last year he went to a shop to get a bottle of coke. Cops stopped him, when say what he was going for, got a €100 fine. The shop was a 2 min walk from his apartment. Some countries have had it way worse than us

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

EC1000 wrote: »
    event wrote: »
    Yep. A guy I know, his brother is in Paris. Last year he went to a shop to get a bottle of coke. Cops stopped him, when say what he was going for, got a €100 fine. The shop was a 2 min walk from his apartment. Some countries have had it way worse than us

In both these instances we are comparing a time when we had a 2k limit and literally everything was shut here. We had buy in from the public- the streets were disserted bar the odd fox on Grafton street, people went for a exercise, shopping and then took it home to wash it. We didn't need the measures in France and Spain because the situation here was different. I was in France last summer and Spain in January and by comparison to Ireland it felt normal (granted parts of last summer felt normal here too).

I don't think it is misleading to say we have had the longest lockdown because we have- people in my industry (hospitality) have been decimated by it's length and severity when our counter parts from across Europe have not been as much.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

David McWilliams had an interesting take on it a few weeks back. He reckoned it wasn't the lock down keeping our covid mortality numbers down (compared to other Euro countries) but in fact it's the fact that we have one of the youngest populations in Europe, with our elderly Irish folk living in the UK or elsewhere due to emigration.
    It's time to end this lock down, the side effects of which will be felt for years, including more stress on our health system for mental illness and obesity related diseases.

I was away in Portugal last week on business and my trip coincided with the opening up of the country, it was amazing to see and also the compliance was off the charts with regards to mask wearing, with everyone wearing them on the streets. Lock down is not the answer.

Regarding the AZ vaccine, my dad is in his 60s and he's up for taking it, he's also rightly nervous as he wouldn't be the healthiest of individuals but he likes his odds.
    My mum, sister and wife are all essential workers and have all had their first jab. My mum and sister had no issue, my wife just has a sore arm 3 weeks later.

If the claim culture is an issue, have folks sign a disclaimer.

My own running has been pure crap the last few months, can't wait to see Park run back and start engaging with the community again.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Booked my Accom & Flights for Manchester marathon so i'm still hopeful it will happen still.

If DCM gets the green light then I guess it will be a real long training run.

US stalling the J&J vaccine now due to a 1 in a million chance of getting a blood clot.

Truly embarrassing behaviour at this stage

Find some low key races in UK, take the car to the ferry in Larne, and head over. Make a weekend out of it.

Enough is enough. If they can't sort out this sh1t show into its second summer while the UK has athletics back up and running, then it's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Time for us to take control of our own destiny when it comes to our running at least.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/fixtures/fixtureslookup.aspx

US stalling the J&J vaccine now due to a 1 in a million chance of getting a blood clot.

Instead of zero Covid we’re going for zero risk!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Instead of zero Covid we’re going for zero risk!

There is more risks with paracetamol ! We going to ban this now?

What about cough medicine.

• Advertisement

There is more risks with paracetamol ! We going to ban this now?

What about cough medicine.

That’s my point- there is no such thing as zero risk, even if you hide under the bed the house could go up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The US will probably resume soon enough though from the sounds of it. They just want to have treatment advice in place in case someone does have an adverse reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Kander wrote: »
    Booked my Accom & Flights for Manchester marathon so i'm still hopeful it will happen still.

booked the marathon too
    where did u book ur accom out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

booked the marathon too

I'm booked in as well, seems we've to get the race number the day before as they won't be posting out internationally, also it appears it'll be an early start at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

9am, not bad - same as DCM
    if both go ahead i guess i will use the MCR one as a long run too, and then try recover in time for DCM!

with a bit of luck might even get to go to a football match on either sat or sun afternoon/mon evening depending on how things play out

prob a wise idea to look at hotels asap, if anyone has any recommendations that'd be great!

or if anyone has experience running MCR marathon either, i will check out some youtube vids now, will be a big ask for it to be as good as dublin lets be fair... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Ran Manchester Marathon in 2018 and in for this year too. Fast flat course had a big PB so happy memories :)
    On course support not half as good as Dublin but where is !!??

IF DCM does ahead still making MCM target and just enjoy Dublin but slim enough chances of going ahead imo ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

booked the marathon too

I booked the Britannia hotel in the city center. Close to the train from the airport and the metro to the starting area

Ah lads, talk of booking hotels, race start times and running it as a long run if doing Dublin a couple of weeks later- that’s the kind of chat this thread needs......good stuff. I’m in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'm in as well. Ran it in 2018 and 2019. Lovely flat course, but I think it's changed this year to run the first part through the City centre.....at least that was the plan for last year. Also thinking of targeting Manchester and running DCM easier if that goes ahead.
    If you're looking for a one night stay Ibis do a late checkout up to 5pm for a tenner. Handy to shower before heading back to the airport. The Portland St Ibis is/was only a 5 minute walk from the number pickup and close to the metro.
    I might make more of a weekend of it this year.....exciting!

Forgot to mention, best pre/post race athletes area ever at Old Trafford cricket stadium. Real toilets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Kander wrote: »

How do you plan on rounding the fine for essential travel / flying over?

Advertisement