Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

Marcus767 wrote: »
    Oh. Okay. Thanks for the information
    How far along is your application mate? Only asking because maybe by the time your medical comes around, it could be August and therefore a year or more from you came off meds. Don’t give up hope yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Marcus767

How far along is your application mate? Only asking because maybe by the time your medical comes around, it could be August and therefore a year or more from you came off meds. Don’t give up hope yet

Thank you! I’m about to do my PCA very soon (this month) so a few weeks but not sure when the medical will be after that. I’d be pretty close to the 12 months- I’m wondering if there is an appeal process In which I could pay privately for an assessment?

Feeling a bit deflated as have been training hard for PCA and the thought of failing on this is horrible. Equally though I understand the duty of care the PSNI have.

Thank you! I’m about to do my PCA very soon (this month) so a few weeks but not sure when the medical will be after that. I’d be pretty close to the 12 months- I’m wondering if there is an appeal process In which I could pay privately for an assessment?

Feeling a bit deflated as have been training hard for PCA and the thought of failing on this is horrible. Equally though I understand the duty of care the PSNI have.
    Your medical is usually around 4 weeks after PCA. There is definitely an appeals process if you end up having to go down that road. Hopefully you won’t. Keep positive and good luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You can point out to the doctor about dates and ask if policy has changed. That’s also when you would ask if a report from an independent expert could help.

You can’t appeal something that hasn’t happened yet, so wait until it gets closer and be as open and honest as you can.
    I’d be pretty close to the 12 months- I’m wondering if there is an appeal process In which I could pay privately for an assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Marcus767

Shield wrote: »
    You can point out to the doctor about dates and ask if policy has changed. That’s also when you would ask if a report from an independent expert could help.

You can’t appeal something that hasn’t happened yet, so wait until it gets closer and be as open and honest as you can.

Thanks for your input Shield it’s much appreciated

I think my query was in relation to if it is a blanket policy can it even then be appealed? But you’re correct I will wait until I get my medical to enquire if the policy is still set as is.

Thanks again all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

If you have been on any anti depressants they take it extremely seriously and you’ll probably have you application dismissed (sorry to be brutally honest)

At the end of the day you are going to be given a gun upon completion of GV

Newbieee wrote: »
    If you have been on any anti depressants they take it extremely seriously and you’ll probably have you application dismissed (sorry to be brutally honest)

At the end of the day you are going to be given a gun upon completion of GV
    This is extremely misleading and inaccurate information! There are more than several examples of people on this board, currently and in the past who have been successful at their medical even though they were previously on antidepressants. As I said above, it’s a case-by-case basis and with appropriate time having passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭North Coast John

This is extremely misleading and inaccurate information! There are more than several examples of people on this board, currently and in the past who have been successful at their medical even though they were previously on antidepressants. As I said above, it’s a case-by-case basis and with appropriate time having passed.

I agree with AphaBravoOut. A history of needing anti-depressants could be for anything- an extreme life event such as cancer in a spouse or the death of a loved one.

It is not fair to say a person will be automatically dismissed for having this on their medical history. It does indeed work on a case by case basis and the doctor at your medical appointment will give you an opportunity to discuss and explain this. Don't lose hope and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HopefulCan2002

Hi I recently requested what the PSNI had on record for me and completely forgot about a spent conviction that I had received 12 years ago. Was wondering will that mean my application not going any further? I know it says that they take it into consideration but was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me.

Any news on the ACs or merit list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

Any news on the ACs or merit list?

I doubt it will be anytime this month. Read that they have changed the AC venues to try and get them completed. This information is available in the report released regarding practices during recruitment by the Policing Board.

JC12250 wrote: »
    I doubt it will be anytime this month. Read that they have changed the AC venues to try and get them completed. This information is available in the report released regarding practices during recruitment by the Policing Board.

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 12 5031

A report mentions the few outstanding AC's left:

https://www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/sites/nipb/files/publications/report-on-202021-psni-recruitment-campaign.pdf

Edit: This is publicly available on the NIPB website.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Newyearnewjob

Now the report is out there, I did mine at their office. I dont really see why they have not continued if treated like a regular office building.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Now the report is out there, I did mine at their office. I dont really see why they have not continued if treated like a regular office building.

You'd have to assume that they received advice to put them on hold.

As a side note, that report says there was one AC session where noone turned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FairCop

MrChew wrote: »
    You'd have to assume that they received advice to put them on hold.

As a side note, that report says there was one AC session where noone turned up!

Yeah I was very surprised to read that too... One whole session not showing. Why would you go that far and then not go to the AC?? I know it's nervy but for no one to show is weird.

FairCop wrote: »
    Yeah I very surprised to read that too... One whole session not showing. Why would you go that far and then not go to the AC?? I know it's nervy but for no one to show is weird.

Lots of candidates wont want to wait. Other offers might have come up for them or the process might seem to long I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HopefulCan2002

Hi has anyone any tips or training programs for training for the PCA?

I have seen a few posts about it but just want to get ideas on what I should be doing.

Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

I wouldn’t worry too much about it , at 4 min 30 seconds it’s a cake walk honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

Anyone waiting much over a week from medical pass to getting your SMT pass? Been 1.5 weeks since got the medical pass and still nothing about the SMT. I’m confident I’ve passed as I have never taken illegal drugs but still would like the peace of mind due to false positives etc etc

• Advertisement

Paulo345 wrote: »
    Anyone waiting much over a week from medical pass to getting your SMT pass? Been 1.5 weeks since got the medical pass and still nothing about the SMT. I’m confident I’ve passed as I have never taken illegal drugs but still would like the peace of mind due to false positives etc etc
    Wouldn’t worry about it at all from what you’ve said. More likely because of Easter hols etc that there’s been a delay..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

Anybody from FT 2 received their medical date from OHW yet? PCA passed from the end of March

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

RoboCop123 wrote: »
    Anybody from FT 2 received their medical date from OHW yet? PCA passed from the end of March

Nothing yet mate likely a delay in issuing medical dates due to Easter holidays. Hoping to hear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PSNI2020

This is maybe one for those who have completed Garnerville - Is it difficult to get a mortgage approved during your 2 year probationary period?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JessicaM073

What is the set up for the student officer training? Is it an actual college and you stay on campus or do you stay at a hotel and go to the college for studies? I live far enough away so planning to only be home at weekends.

What is the set up for the student officer training? Is it an actual college and you stay on campus or do you stay at a hotel and go to the college for studies? I live far enough away so planning to only be home at weekends.

My understanding is that it isn't residential and you go home at the end of each day. There is accommodation available at the campus but it is limited and you have to apply for it.

My understanding is that it isn't residential and you go home at the end of each day. There is accommodation available at the campus but it is limited and you have to apply for it.
    @JessicaM073/MrChew think I remember reading somewhere about a 35+ mile distance for residential, but I’ve no idea for how long you can stay, or if there is a cost etc. Any idea when you might get the call boss? I know your appointable ages now

@JessicaM073/MrChew think I remember reading somewhere about a 35+ mile distance for residential, but I’ve no idea for how long you can stay, or if there is a cost etc. Any idea when you might get the call boss? I know your appointable ages now

No idea whatsoever! Doubt it will be any earlier than the summer at best. My medical will expire reasonably soon so that will probably need addressed before then.

No idea whatsoever! Doubt it will be any earlier than the summer at best. My medical will expire reasonably soon so that will probably need addressed before then.
    Here’s hoping you’ll even hear word start of June at the latest for an Aug start, presuming they allow a reasonable notice period for current employment. I’d say your medical will be fine too, probably just a yes/no has your circumstances changed..it has definitely been one heck of a process so far lol

• Advertisement

Here’s hoping you’ll even hear word start of June at the latest for an Aug start, presuming they allow a reasonable notice period for current employment. I’d say your medical will be fine too, probably just a yes/no has your circumstances changed..it has definitely been one heck of a process so far lol

Tbh I'm not stressing about it now that the budget is sorted. Sounds like the ML may be complete soon, so I reckon that will dictate when I get the call. It's all good. What about you - what do you have left to do?

Advertisement