Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

That’s your view

Don’t say people are vilifying the elderly because we don’t have the same view

What's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

What's yours?

That vulnerable people shouldn’t be going out for their shopping unless they had to.

Not going in circles on this. Have a nice afternoon.

That vulnerable people shouldn’t be going out for their shopping unless they had to.

Not going in circles on this. Have a nice afternoon.

You too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

anewme wrote: »
    Those options are available to all.

I'm not amazed at the number of old people out at all.

I tried to keep my Mum in, but found she snuck off to Lidl.

She said she was going stir crazy in the house and if the Covid did not kill her, the isolation and loneliness of staring at 4 walls would. ....

+1

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

We 'old people' grew up at a time when polio, TB and other incurable illnesses abounded.

Go back another generation and it was a time of many diseases such that one might be well one week and dead the next.

We have seen it before. We know that life always ends with death. We refuse to be cowed by a bunch of here today gone tomorrow politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

My view is that who ever wants to go shopping or up the mountain or whatever it is that helps them get a bit of relief, then go. If a person who is medically vulnerable decides to go to Tesco at 2pm on a Saturday, what of it.

Because if you are at risk from Covid and you go to a supermarket at a busy time you risk overloading the health service. Mental health matters of course it does, but it’s selfish to take unnecessary risks in the name of mental health. I feel very sorry for older people especially in their last years to have to spend a year in lockdown, it’s not an easy ask. Delayed vaccinations etc don’t help. I think their are people who will dismiss the deaths of older people as so what they’re old & that’s selfish, but it’s equally selfish for older people to take unnecessary risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

So as I previously mentioned.

After sticking rigidly to ebrry guideline since their inception. I cracked recently and on Paddys day it all became too much so I drove from Meath to Wicklow for a hike around Glendalough. Made my own lunch at home, drove there without stopping, hiked and drove home without stopping. I didnt meet one other person while there.

I'm just back from another hike down there because it did wonders for my head the last time. I came to a checkpoint today though and had the usual questions. I explained to the Garda what I was doing and was honest with him about how its affecting me.

He wished me the best and told me to look after myself.

I know it's at the discretion of the Garda you meet but its great to see them taking mental health seriously and taking an honest person at their word.

Your health is your wealth. Look after yourself and make the best decisions for you while staying safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I know people who have contracted Covid who said they never go anywhere else. Plus NPHET flagged them as a risk a few weeks ago.
    For employees perhaps but the interactions are very fleeting with customers. Everywhere is a risk for NPHET!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

There's something about the smell of spring weather and just wanting to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

This is not the
    shopping thread
    restrictions thread
    general covid thread
    travel thread
    work thread
    mask thread
    school thread
    etc etc etc

It is for people sharing problems and looking for suggestions and advice with their mental health issues..a safe haven

Divisive or arguementative or snapping posts could just drive somebody away from posting here who is suicidal before they can be pointed to help.

please think before you post..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

anewme wrote: »
    Your previous post to me was abusive and the tone to other posters as per the above was not kind either.

My point being, everyone has their own challenges and family situations and no one's situation trumps others.

No one is lucky in this pandemic, that's the whole point of discussing mental health here. Everyone is impacted. It should not be about my situation is worse than his, etc.

Not everyone is impacted by it, there’s a regular poster on here who’s very happy with the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m not sure I can stay in this country if the obsession with variants continues once we have widespread vaccination.
    Do I really want to live in a country where you get fined for boarding an airplane?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

fin12 wrote: »
    Not everyone is impacted by it, there’s a regular poster on here who’s very happy with the lockdown.

Havent read whole thread, but focus here should be for those who are finding it tough.

A bit of positivity and coping tips , like the lad who went to Glendalough. Have been thinking about that since I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I say if you want to go for a walk on a beach, in the hills, up a mountain or in a park, and it's >5km away, just go for it.

If you are driving there on your own, don't intend to mix with anyone else, then you are doing no harm and it's already been said that catching the virus outdoors in such a situation is a 1 in a million possibility.

If the guards stop you en route, you always have the option of turning back.

Live your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Just fück this shït

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just fück this shït

I think we all get that feeling here for different reasons ... better to let it out safely than hold it in...Big telephatic hug whoever and wherever you are... maybe take a break from the covid thread and the news etc and visit the games or another forum instead or head outdoors for some fresh air..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will be interesting to see what relaxation we are getting this coming week?

Be allowed to go to 10km? 20km? Inside county?

I'm going with option B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

NIMAN wrote: »

I'm going with option B.

From the 12th April (Monday) we can travel anywhere in our own county

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm going with option B.

It's supposed to be within the county but the actual regulation to give it effect has not been signed or published yet. As it stands it's still 5km.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be within the county but the actual regulation to give it effect has not been signed or published yet. As it stands it's still 5km.

i know of practiocally no one at all adhering to these ridicalous 5km restrictions, in fact most people i know are just getting on with it,over a year of constant scaremongering, empty promises and rhetoric.

I'm going with option B.

I thought we were already told its within county boundary, or 20km outside county if you live on a border. I've long given up anyway on all travel restrictions as they are a nonsense and only affect my mental health more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

It's 5km until the 12th of April. Then within your county, or 20km from your home (which can include another county if you live on a county border.

From Gov.ie:

- "People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home. From 12 April, you can travel within your own county or within 20km of your home if crossing county boundaries."
    - https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

From garda.com:

"Authorities in Ireland plan to ease certain COVID-19-related domestic restrictions from April 12. Under the new measures, the current directive restricting travel by residents to within 5 km (3 miles) of their homes will expanded to allow county-wide travel; travel across county lines will also be permitted up to 20 km (12 miles) from the individual's home. In addition, outdoor social gatherings will be allowed for up to two households.

From Citizens Information:

- Some restrictions will change from 12 April, with further changes expected later in April depending on public health advice.

From 12 April 2021:

Two households can meet outdoors, away from their gardens
    You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home

They're running public service annoucements daily in the media, advising of these changes. There is no way they can go back on them two days previous to the change they are actively advertising and informing the public about.

Whether legislation has been signed or not will be an irrelevance, as the Taoiseach himself addressed the nation and said this. The government information bulletins on radio every twenty minutes, and the fact that citizens information (a govt body) Gov.ie (a main portal for official Covid information) and mainstream media groups reporting on and advertising it, mean that it is in effect happening.

No judge would entertain the case of someone being prosecuted on the basis of the legislation being signed, if one such case came up in front of them

So fill up the car, get out the bikes or whatever, and start plotting the furthest points in your county that you can get to I say
    No fear of repercussions from now at least.

Regardless the statutory instrument remains 5km and was extended to the 5th of May. It's just another example of a shambles this government is. They told kids shoe shops they could open last week but under the law any shoe shop that opens is open to prosecution. Lazy government couldn't be bothered getting their regulations in order. Useless shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Regardless the statutory instrument remains 5km and was extended to the 5th of May. It's just another excusable of a shambles this government is. They told kids shoe shops they could open but under the law any shoe shop that opens is open

5km til May 5th? When was that announced?

It wasnt announced. It was quietly extended. Gav Reilly is good to follow as political correspondent for the latest govt updates

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1380453564372385793?s=19

dobman88 wrote: »
    It wasnt announced. It was quietly extended. Gav Reilly is good to follow as political correspondent for the latest govt updates

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1380453564372385793?s=19

Sorry there will be no 5 km checkpoints from Monday on , guards won’t be doing it , so they can shove it up their h*le If they haven’t put into law

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Thanks for that dobman88.

I think it happened so quietly people won’t realise and will just travel around the county from Monday 12th anyway. If you don’t want people to do something, you have to let them know. Schools are back fully from Monday anyway and I think this will mean a lot more movement including some parents back travelling to work.

It wasn't. Donnelly quietly extended it last week with no changes made to the regulation to account for the changes due on the 12th. Shambles.

fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry there will be no 5 km checkpoints from Monday on , guards won’t be doing it , so they can shove it up their h*le If they haven’t put into law

I've already been going beyond the 5k to go hiking anyway so wont affect me too much. Just means I might be able to travel without coming on a checkpoint if Gards aren't out.

I would like the travel restrictions scrapped so I might get home to see my parents at some stage.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I've already been going beyond the 5k to go hiking anyway so wont affect me too much. Just means I might be able to travel without coming on a checkpoint if Gards aren't out.

I would like the travel restrictions scrapped so I might get home to see my parents at some stage.
    Well as far as I’m concerned it’s travel all over your county from Monday and that’s exactly what I’m going to be doing . The guards themselves are sick sh*t of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

What’s the story with this? Can you travel or can’t you travel within your own county from Monday?

I’m not wallowing or making a political point or anything else, but I’m actually becoming seriously depressed.

Advertisement