Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭malinheader

Off topic but I think I prefer their attitude to funerals to be honest. The use of death as a social activity in this country really gets on my t1ts.

I'm totally the opposite think the way alot of funerals were celebrated here before covid were a whole lot better than the one across the pond.
    There's a saying where I am from that an Irish funeral is better than an English wedding.

Age and circumstances taken into consideration of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Off topic but I think I prefer their attitude to funerals to be honest. The use of death as a social activity in this country really gets on my t1ts.

Disagree, although it depends on the age of the person deceased.
    It's often a meeting point for old friends or extended family who mightn't have seen each other for months or even years.
    I've been to funerals where the deceased family were very happy to see people congregate outside and have a chat. It's like losing someone close is eased by having drought so many together.
    It's why I've felt desperately sorry for people going through a funeral right now. Losing a loved one and not having the larger community around to help them mourn must be very difficult.
    It's something we Irish do better than a lot of other cultures.
    Plenty of funerals I've been to were better than weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I'm totally the opposite think the way alot of funerals were celebrated here before covid were a whole lot better than the one across the pond.
    There's a saying where I am from that an Irish funeral is better than an English wedding.

Age and circumstances taken into consideration of course.

Irish funerals also beat Irish weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭malinheader

Irish funerals also beat Irish weddings.

Can't really disagree with you, Last few I went to before covid were a long drawn out day. Might be as i am getting older but the hotels seem to hold out on the dinner as late as possible now so to make as much on the drinking before dinner. As far as I can remember the food was served anywhere between 6 and 9.
    Anyhow that's a different topic.
    Have to say some of the stories on this thread are brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had a guy arrive at my wedding in the evening time. He was invited to the whole thing but decided just to come to the afters. Noone else was just invited to the afters so he decided he was well behind in the alcohol consumption stakes so started lashing it back. By 1 am he was out of his head and was trying to (hamfistidly) hit on every girl in the place, insulted one of my cousins by telling her she looks like a man, used racial slurs against my best man and just being a general messy drunk. At that stage he was forcibly ejected from the hotel. He was staying in a B&B close by and went in to bed but then decided he needed a cigarette so went into a kind of courtyard area in the B&B to smoke. Unfortunately for him he was in his underpants when he did this and managed to lock himself in to the courtyard where he was stuck until the B&B owner arrived a couple of hours later to start breakfast.

Tool :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So many times I've seen families standing there , dumb struck shaking hands ,with people who are for the most part , strangers. Awful tradition for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

cj maxx wrote: »
    So many times I've seen families standing there , dumb struck shaking hands ,with people who are for the most part , strangers. Awful tradition for the most part.

From my experience, it's a great comfort to the family to have people come and pay their respects. They could be people they haven't seen in years and it means a lot when they take the time to be there. And yes, there's a great social aspect to it which also helps and leaves many fond memories as stories are told etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

spakman wrote: »
    From my experience, it's a great comfort to the family to have people come and pay their respects. They could be people they haven't seen in years and it means a lot when they take the time to be there. And yes, there's a great social aspect to it which also helps and leaves many fond memories as stories are told etc

It's lovely to meet people who know the deceased when they were younger too, you get a greater sense of the person. Especially if they were a parent, we only ever know our parents when they're parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Anybody else reading through this thread hoping not to read a story and suddenly realise, uh oh this is about me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Hi, Folks. OP here. I was not expecting this many replies.

So brother got married 8 years ago. Uncle and his come over from England the day before the wedding. The hotel was 30 minutes away from where we all lived. They wouldn't even come out to the brother and his wife the night before.
    Day of the wedding we get to the hotel and they stayed in the room while the photos are been taken. It left a bad atmosphere for the day the way they treated my brother, they were also heard to be saying they didn't want to come to the wedding.

We also had an aunt come over from England. She stayed with us the night before and kept going on about staying in the hotel. We didn't stay at the hotel and we only lived 30 mins away and I was driving (non-drinker), Anyways the whole day of the wedding she kept going about us staying there for the night. We kept telling her no due to living so close. The night rolls on and the aunt is very fond of the drink and gets plastered. She makes a show of the family jumping on the chairs and making a fool of a much older cousin.

Anyway, we go home and my mother lets loose in the aunt and uncle her (sister and brother) how bad they acted over the weekend and the uncle couldn't even come to the house the night before. The aunt got her wish and stayed at the hotel after been told she was no longer welcomed back to the house.
    I arrived back to the hotel the next morning with her suitecase and she gets in the uncle's car to get onto the same boat home as the uncle and wife. He only came for the day
    We have another aunt in England who wouldn't come over for her first nephew of 3 to get married. That took the biscuit altogether with the brother and mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cj maxx wrote: »

The queue to shake hands thing is horrible alright but I doubt it's uniquely Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Santan wrote: »
    Anybody else reading through this thread hoping not to read a story and suddenly realise, uh oh this is about me

No...
    Are you? Feel free to share, this is a safe space with zero judgement!
    tenor.gif

spakman wrote: »

There is no way the procession/lineup for handshaking allows for stories to be told... Try to dawdle for longer than a couple of sentences and you get told to move along quick enough..

lawred2 wrote: »
    There is no way the procession/lineup for handshaking allows for stories to be told... Try to dawdle for longer than a couple of sentences and you get told to move along quick enough..

It's done at the wake and after the burial when everyone goes for refreshments.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Kind of. Twas me that did the ruining. Won't go into any more detail than that. Great satisfaction from it though

What did you take to sh1t so much???? Did you know they were fellow boardsies?

It's done at the wake and after the burial when everyone goes for refreshments.

I know that. But the poster specifically highlighted the procession of handshakes... And it is very Irish for every Tom, Dick and Harry to join that queue.

There's no stories being told.

I like the late night story telling where you're really only in the company of family and friends but there's a lot of horrible protocol to get through before that.

Anyway, we're going off topic:)

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know that. But the poster specifically highlighted the procession of handshakes... And it is very Irish for every Tom, Dick and Harry to join that queue.

There's no stories being told.

I like the late night story telling where you're really only in the company of family and friends but there's a lot of horrible protocol to get through before that.

Anyway, we're going off topic:)

Ah, you're talking about the people who are there "to be seen to be there"! We have our wires crossed!

Back to ruined weddings now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I knew a girl who decided on the morning of her wedding she wasn't going ahead with it.

To be fair to her, she went and stood on the church steps and told everyone it was off, and apologised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Drunk young men jumping around when pensioners are dancing is sure fire way to ruin a reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Great thread.
    I was groomsman at a wedding where one of the lads who was steamboats after the church herded a few sheep into the champagne reception.
    Sheep are more agressive than you think,while everyone (and the sheep) went mental he whipped down his trousers and played the grand piano with his bare arse cheeks.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Great thread.
    I was groomsman at a wedding where one of the lads who was steamboats after the church herded a few sheep into the champagne reception.
    Sheep are more agressive than you think,while everyone (and the sheep) went mental he whipped down his trousers and played the grand piano with his bare arse cheeks.

Ewe'd have to see it to believe it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Was at a wedding pre covid for a cousin of mine. He had met this girl in America and after a year of going back and forth to visit each other they decided to get married. He had met her family and she ours but the two families hadn’t met each other until just before the wedding.

Anyway the culture clash was evident from the get go. While the Irish were all dressed up to the nines in suits etc they were just dressed like they were going out to a nice restaurant. Even the bride had this yellow flowery dress on her, it was nice but not really a conventional wedding dress. I think weddings must be completely different over there because they looked like fish out of water. The drinking and general carry on was shocking to them. They were devout bible bashing catholics and shur even the priest was pissed you know yourself.

Then it came to the speeches and the best man (who only met her the week before or so) was joking about how she was only doing it for the visa and to get away from being shot in America, it was fairly tame stuff but they didn’t get the humour at all and nearly started a row over it. The bride was awful upset about the whole thing and blamed the family for ruining her wedding day.

Felt bad for the cousin because he’s a fairly introverted fella and was running around like a blue arse fly all day introducing people and trying to simmer the tensions. Needless to say the two families haven’t seen each other since.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Showed this thread to a colleague at work.

She was at a wedding where the groom got steaming drunk, decided to relieve himself outside.

Someone saw him n he panicked, up went the zip and he "caught himself" in it. Apparently there was blood everywhere n he staggers back into the reception clutching his bleeding bits and screaming for help. Those trying to help only made it worse.

Ambulance called and he ended up in a+e. But he now has a cute scar on his knob.

And it's a not so friendly reminder to his wife of her ruined wedding night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Parachutes wrote: »

Then it came to the speeches and the best man (who only met her the week before or so) was joking about how she was only doing it for the visa and to get away from being shot in America, it was fairly tame stuff but they didn’t get the humour at all and nearly started a row over it. The bride was awful upset about the whole thing and blamed the family for ruining her wedding day.

I

To be honest that reflects more on the best man.

Would be same someone from Northern Ireland going to UK and best man saying they did it to get away from bombs.

Stuff like that never lands well.

anewme wrote: »
    To be honest that reflects more on the best man.

Would be same someone from Northern Ireland going to UK and best man saying they did it to get away from bombs.

Stuff like that never lands well.

I agree. I think it was one of those things that sounded funny in his head but didn’t come out right. It was good humoured and fairly harmless banter but the way the yanks took it was completely over the top.

I was at a cousins wedding with the other half,she hadnt met any of my extented family at the time.

We were three drinks in before we realised we were at the wrong wedding.

We also missed the actual wedding earlier that day because we couldnt find the church.

HBC08 wrote: »
    I was at a cousins wedding with the other half,she hadnt met any of my extented family at the time.

We were three drinks in before we realised we were at the wrong wedding.

We also missed the actual wedding earlier that day because we couldnt find the church.

How’d you manage that at all.

Parachutes wrote: »
    How’d you manage that at all.

I wouldnt mind but this was only a couple of years ago,we had google maps.It was the arse end of Connemara

The hotels were beside eachother in Galway city,it was a massive wedding and i didnt expect to know half the people there,it only dawned on me after an hour that i didnt know one person!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Great thread!

I was at at wedding where the bride and groom were friends of ours and very much a reserved couple. They had wanted to go abroad but her parents weren’t having it, her dad wouldn’t fly. Both of them are shy and you could tell the whole day was their idea of a nightmare, it’s kind of took from the day, as you could tell they weren’t enjoying themselves.

At the same wedding I had gone back to our room in the hotel to freshen up around 9 o clock and being a smoker at the time .. I went out into the balcony for a cigarette. When I turned back around, there was no handle on the outside of the door ... I remained out there, in a sleeveless dress, at a December wedding, for over three hours! I had brought one cigarette and a lighter with me, nothing else.
    Himself came in and out of the room, twice I could hear the door room close after him leaving but hadn’t heard him come in to start banging. I was huddled into the corner of the balcony, frozen. The curtains in the room were closed, I pushed them aside instead of opening them going out.
    The kitchen staff were outside at one stage, half the hotel away and I started shouting my room number at them and that I was locked out ... they came up ... and I could hear them knocking on the hotel room door... ah mate I can’t answer you.. they left and don’t return nor go outside the kitchen again. The room was at the back of the hotel so I didn’t see anyone else for that full three hours.
    My husband eventually found me on his search, he had done the whole hotel at least twenty times looking for me including gone up and down the road outside the hotel.. he was in a panic but sure everyone else was well oiled at that stage and weren’t paying too much mind of him and his search assuming i gone off drunk and would show up... I was half dead with the cold by the time he did find me. The wedding for me anyway was ruined, I came in, changed and went straight to bed with borderline hypothermia. Didn’t mention it to the bride or groom but did fook the hotel out of it the next day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Give a clue to the politicians involved
    One of the Councillors now a TD. Sitting TD got voted out a few years back. Other two are still Councillors.

Of the 4 of them 2 are FF, 2 are FG. In the Midlands and I'm not naming names.
    Notmything wrote: »
    Showed this thread to a colleague at work.

She was at a wedding where the groom got steaming drunk, decided to relieve himself outside.

Someone saw him n he panicked, up went the zip and he "caught himself" in it. Apparently there was blood everywhere n he staggers back into the reception clutching his bleeding bits and screaming for help. Those trying to help only made it worse.

Ambulance called and he ended up in a+e. But he now has a cute scar on his knob.

And it's a not so friendly reminder to his wife of her ruined wedding night.

WE GOT A BLEEDER!!!!

theressomethingaboutmary3.jpg

Advertisement