Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

One of my pals was Best Man for a pal of ours. Rural wedding down the country.

He proceeded to entertain the congregation with tales of the groom including those of his "lively" past life.

Including this belter of a line which stunned the room apart from our table who were crying with laughter.....

"He never went to bed with a dog. But he certainly woke up with a few!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Northernlily

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    Heard of a wedding where the best man and groom had to be put to bed before the meal.

Plenty of crazy best man stories. I found when I had to do the role, I was uber conscious that the spotlight was on me and made sure the bride and groom were looked after.
    The only faux páis i made was signing the wedding book like I was signing an autograph. Apparently your supposed to do it slow for the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You can never have a thread about anything wedding related on here without some misery guts posting "I hate weddings" zzzzzz

I'm sure many have ruined a wedding by being a miserable shet for a day!
    Agreed.

That and “they asked for cash, how dare they, I have a perfectly good toasted sandwich maker in my garage from 1988 I wanted to offload” crowd.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Agreed.

That and “they asked for cash, how dare they, I have a perfectly good toasted sandwich maker in my garage from 1988 I wanted to offload” crowd.

I would be interested to know,what presents people were planning to give at weddings other than cash in an envelope??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I would be interested to know,what presents people were planning to give at weddings other than cash in an envelope??

A fruit basket as seen above.
    Maybe some Nando’s vouchers and dvd box set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I always give cash, and would think reasonably generously by what Ive heard from other people. But something just fcuking irks me about being asked for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was a plus one at a wedding where the bride's father collapsed and died just after the wedding party reached the hotel for the reception. Massive heart attack.

After the bride and some of her immediate family left to follow the ambulance to the hospital, there were some ugly scenes amongst those left behind because the groom's family wanted to continue on with the party because "it was paid for anyway" and the bride's family were (understandably) upset.

It was actually one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

Was that in Cork by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not all people that give gifts are cheapskates but most that do usually are. Some of them are obvious pass ons of crap they got as a gift themselves.

Thank fuk those days are gone. People would be showing up with Parkside Hoover's, kettle's and toaster's now ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When I was best man for a mates wedding, there was a decent amount of Waterford Crystal given - although primarily just envelopes.

One of them was a nice retro (made in Ireland, and not the super-super-dear few bits that are now) piece that could possibly have been a re-gift from someone elses wedding a few decades earlier, but the groom absolutely loves it and its pride of place on a sideboard under the TV in the living room now!

I know for certain that if I get married before my grandmother dies, there'll be a set of Waterford wine glasses (albeit probably alongside cash) in a bag on the day. Actually my mother think she has sets put aside for wedding gifts for the remaining unmarried grandkids, so maybe it'll be Made in Ireland stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

razorblunt wrote: »
    A fruit basket as seen above.
    Maybe some Nando’s vouchers and dvd box set.

Friends dvd box set, can’t go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭3DataModem

cena wrote: »
    Has anyone here ruined a wedding or been to a wedding that was ruined? Let us say, someone has stood up during the mass service and said that this person should not marry him or she.

A mate went to a wedding where the mother of the bride died as the starters were being cleared away.

He remembers distinctly the old lady at her table wolfing down her steak while saying "tsk its terrible wonder will they bring out the veg?" while the rest of the room was agog.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I was at a small wedding a few years ago. Day was going great until the speech’s. The bride has a daughter from a previous relations and the bride and groom had a 1yr old son. A comment was made about the 3 of them being a beautiful little family now and the little girl was heard crying then asking was she not part of the family anymore. It was actually really sad and the bride and her two bridesmaid sisters stormed off to the comfort the child. The atmosphere dropped after that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

RubyGlee wrote: »
    I was at a small wedding a few years ago. Day was going great until the speech’s. The bride has a daughter from a previous relations and the bride and groom had a 1yr old son. A comment was made about the 3 of them being a beautiful little family now and the little girl was heard crying then asking was she not part of the family anymore. It was actually really sad and the bride and her two bridesmaid sisters stormed off to the comfort the child. The atmosphere dropped after that

That's just cruel and thoughtless.

Aww poor kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

from behind the bar....

A family of four guests at a wedding; parents and two adult sons were sitting for the meal within earshot of the bar. There was a vocal argument about how they all thought that one of the others was bringing the drinking money for the evening. Due to a lapse in financial planning, it transpired that none of them had any money with them.

One of the sons decided to step up and resolve this financial predicament. Between the main course and dessert, he popped out and held-up the bookies at knife point. Fortunately the girl in the bookies occasionally worked in the hotel and recognised the linen napkin that he was using to cover his face and that the knife was the hotel's function cutlery.

Yer'man returned and ordered two rounds of drink before the speeches started. Shortly afterwards the guards arrived and we put two and two together quite quickly. The guards were concerned that their entry in to the function room may receive a negative reaction. Before the speeches were finished yer'man was back to the bar again. We told him that we were out of Budweiser and had to wait until after the speeches to get another keg. We also mentioned that one of the other bars in the hotel was having a '2 for 1' happy hour for another 5 minutes and if he hurried he would catch it. It may not have been his own money but he was still a sucker for a bargain. Needless to say there was no happy hour and the guards lifted him and he was gone before the speeches ended.

Technically it did not 'ruin the wedding' as he had left money on the table so the family kept drinking all night on the proceeds of crime and did not seem one bit bothered about where yer'man was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

appledrop wrote: »
    I think that's absolutely horrendous. My two favourite gifts from my wedding was a beautiful vase and lovely painting. Yes the majority did give us money but that's people own choice. Can't believe people would ask for money.

I've seen it done on a few occasions... It's getting more common

Funnily enough, as soon as I see that, I divide what I would normally give in half.

ontour2 wrote: »
    from behind the bar....

A family of four guests at a wedding; parents and two adult sons were sitting for the meal within earshot of the bar. There was a vocal argument about how they all thought that one of the others was bringing the drinking money for the evening. Due to a lapse in financial planning, it transpired that none of them had any money with them.

One of the sons decided to step up and resolve this financial predicament. Between the main course and dessert, he popped out and held-up the bookies at knife point. Fortunately the girl in the bookies occasionally worked in the hotel and recognised the linen napkin that he was using to cover his face and that the knife as it was the hotel's function cutlery.

Yer'man returned and ordered two rounds of drink before the speeches started. Shortly afterwards the guards arrived and we put two and two together quite quickly. The guards were concerned that their entry in to the function room may receive a negative reaction. Before the speeches were finished yer'man was back to the bar again. We told him that we were out of Budweiser and had to wait until after the speeches to get another keg. We also mentioned that one of the other bars in the hotel was having a '2 for 1' happy hour for another 5 minutes and if he hurried he would catch it. It may not have been his own money but he was still a sucker for a bargain. Needless to say there was no happy hour and the guards lifted him and he was gone before the speeches ended.

Technically it did not 'ruin the wedding' as he had left money on the table so the family kept drinking all night on the proceeds of crime and did not seem one bit bothered about where yer'man was.

You win! :pac:

from behind the bar.....

one of the groomsmen was given the job of thanking the guests for their presents..... which sounds fine however he was given the list of each of the guests and exactly what their present was. It was 30-40 gifts. e.g. Thank you to Auntie Mary and Uncle John for the €50 Dunnes voucher. Thank you to Joyce Ryan for the yellow IKEA lamp etc. etc.

He was only a young lad and could not read the mood change in the room so kept going.

It was a perfectly nice crowd but probably the most quietly catastrophic mood change I ever saw at a wedding. It was the band we really felt sorry for as there was absolutely nothing they could do to drag any joy back in to the evening. By the time the band finished, most guests were gone home or drinking in another bar in the hotel.

no idea whose idea it was or why no one else at the top table didn't stop it when it was obviously going wrong.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My sister in law was bridesmaid for a friend of hers who was from a very well-to-do family. She was the first child to get married in the family so the parents went all out, but in a good way - super fancy hotel, best of everything, and basically set it up so the guests didn't have to put a hand in their pocket all day.

They had a champagne and canapés reception when everyone arrived at the hotel, and it was an absolutely gorgeous day so it was held in the courtyard/garden bit. It was basically waiters going round with the trays of food and drinks, and the parents had said to the staff to keep people's glasses topped up.

The problem was that they underestimated how much people would drink, and because it was sweltering, people were drinking faster, and because the staff were constantly topping the glasses up, nobody really kept track of how much they were drinking. The end result being that half the guests were absolutely gee-eyed by the time they were called to the meal. Quite a few people (including one groomsman) didn't even make it to the meal - had to go to bed. My SIL said that it didn't ruin the day and everyone had a blast, she said it was the best wedding she's ever been at. Some seriously sore heads floating round the next morning though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I have been to a few weddings in England and I can safely say they have all been as dry as a camel's belly. Absolutely dreadful. Usually on a weekday with finger food...

I rememebr one on a Wednesday...pizza delivery was the food. Help yourself to the slices in the boxes. The bride and groom were both teachers...too fcuking tight to spend any money. Then they couldnt understand and a bit offended why everyone was gone by 10pm "It's a Wednesdsay night. We work tomorrow." It ain't midterm break for us.

At least weddings in Ireland tend to be "all out" affairs.

Yeh I agree..... im originally from Wales and weddings are as dry and boring and over by midnight...... when my girlfriend ( wife now) went to our 1st wedding last orders were at 11 30pm and all finished at midnight ....

Our next wedding the food was bacon sandwiches and we had to drive an hour and half to reception in middle of knowwhere and a few hours later all over and drive back .... no accommodation....

Soooooo when all my friends/family came over to Ireland for our wedding they were absolutely astonished when we were still partying at 4am and party next day started 6pm till 4am the night after.

I did warn the Mrs that the presents would be very stingy but still managed to offend her no end to the 30euros in card .... one of my groomsmen put 10 euros in card....

Thats how you do it you dry bastards!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Going by the last 2 post all weddings in the Uk must be the same then.

from behind the bar.....

one of the groomsmen was given the job of thanking the guests for their presents..... which sounds fine however he was given the list of each of the guests and exactly what their present was. It was 30-40 gifts. e.g. Thank you to Auntie Mary and Uncle John for the €50 Dunnes voucher. Thank you to Joyce Ryan for the yellow IKEA lamp etc. etc.

He was only a young lad and could not read the mood change in the room so kept going.

It was a perfectly nice crowd but probably the most quietly catastrophic mood change I ever saw at a wedding. It was the band we really felt sorry for as there was absolutely nothing they could do to drag any joy back in to the evening. By the time the band finished, most guests were gone home or drinking in another bar in the hotel.

no idea whose idea it was or why no one else at the top table didn't stop it when it was obviously going wrong.

That's as classy as the brides and grooms who open cards at the top table and count the money.

It just shows they've invited people for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

from behind the bar.....

Had somebody told the young lad to be so specific or did he innocently just read it as he saw it? Grounds for divorce if it was the grooms idea.. id simply cite the reason as he's an absolute moron :p

Porklife wrote: »
    Had somebody told the young lad to be so specific or did he innocently just read it as he saw it? Grounds for divorce if it was the grooms idea.. id simply cite the reason as he's an absolute moron :p

no one at the top table stopped him so it seemed to be intentional. Someone had to make this list and give it to him so could never really see how it was accidental. It is possible it was well intentioned....

Was a life lesson in 'Words have consequences'. Some people were angry, others embarrassed, others bitter/ envious. It was a nice crowd so it never 'kicked off' but the following 6 hours were painful and felt like 60 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

At a wedding that I was at the groom had a son from a previous relationship and a couple of children with the bride. When getting the photos taken the bride insisted on getting one of "just the family" and deliberately excluded the son. The groom's mother was livid and still doesn't talk to her now daughter in law. In fairness the groom must be some gob****e to allow that.

Why would you marry someone if you want to exclude their child from a previous relationship?Are some people really that insecure?

It's pathetic and bordering on child abuse to make a child feel less worthy or belonging. If you've an issue don't get into the relationship in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Why would you marry someone if you want to exclude their child from a previous relationship?Are some people really that insecure?

It's pathetic and bordering on child abuse to make a child feel less worthy or belonging. If you've an issue don't get into the relationship in the first place.

Never underestimate how cruel and self serving some people can be.

Never underestimate how cruel and self serving some people can be.

what ever about relatives/parents of bride/groom wanting a pic with just the kid related to em......very sh1tty and rude to unjustifible level

But the bride/groom to demand it,is horrendous,imagine living in that house.....think id sooner be single

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

English weddings....
    Was at one several years ago where the hotel reneged on a deal to have a late bar and the security they hired to keep undesirables out were actually there to make sure we left. Rather unsavoury standoff ensued between grumpy Irish (and a few embarrassed English) and security staff.
    We ended up at this really dodgy pub on the outskirts of town which one of the security guards recommended. Had two pints there and left after the vibe turned rather anti Irish.

Friend was at a wedding in North of England at a nice but rather old hotel.
    There was a lift that went from the function room to the honeymoon suite.
    Large ornate doors open and bride and groom step out to rapturous applause, except......
    the lift stalled on the way down and bride and groom were trapped on board. The bride refused the offer to be hoisted through the ceiling of the lift for fear of ruining her dress in the filthy lift shaft.
    Three hours later, the lift doors finally opened.... to an end near empty room. Most of the guests abandoned the function room for the bar and a lot eventually drifted off home.
    The bride insisted on having the reception carry on, so 20-30 had dinner, listened to the speeches, watched the first (and last) dance and went to bed.
    He later found out that the bride sent grateful thank you letters to all that stayed and rather vicious death threats to everyone else.

Advertisement