Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

abff wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting prize bonds as a long term overall investment strategy. It’s a means of diversifying some of your assets into a low risk option and is also a suitable alternative to leaving money on deposit at current low interest rates, including short term savings that need to be kept fairly liquid.

I think you're probably right. I have 276k to put somewhere safe for about 9 months and I guess prize bonds may be the place. Just out of interest what other options are there bar a deposit account? Can't afford to lose anything and don't have time to wait out a dip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Investor12 wrote: »
    People seem to be invested in prize bonds for well over 5 years and get dismal returns. Wouldn't you be far better served with equities? You can afford to wait out a stock market crash and recovery in that time frame.

If you read back over the c500 pages of posts here, you’ll see we have previously discussed this - ad nauseam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

If you read back over the c500 pages of posts here, you’ll see we have previously discussed this - ad nauseam

I’m not sure that telling someone to read back over several hundred pages of posts is particularly helpful.

Demand deposit rates are close to zero at present. If you know that you won’t need the money for several months, you could look at a fixed term deposit, but you need to be prepared to tie your money up for at least a year if you want anything in excess of 0.1%. Post office savings accounts currently offer 0.05%. But this is not subject to DIRT (currently 33%) or PRSI.

If you have €276k to invest over 9 months, you would earn just over €100 in a post office savings account. The odds would favour you “winning” much more than this if you put the money into prize bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

People seem to be invested in prize bonds for well over 5 years and get dismal returns. Wouldn't you be far better served with equities?

As has been pointed out many times, these are bonds and the return is in line with what is to be expected from that asset class. Other asset classes (equities, property, dodgy oil exploration stocks, gold, bitcoin, tulips etc.) have different risk/return profiles. Prize Bonds have a guaranteed 100% capital repayment plus an average return better than anything the banks or other deposit products are offering on capital secure products at present. Bonds and Equities are complimentary, not alternatives and many people hold both.
    You can afford to wait out a stock market crash and recovery in that time frame.
    That is not correct. Suppose the crash occurred a few weeks before you needed to draw down the capital ?

Week eighteen.....

Winnings on 9th April €0
    Last win: 4th December €50
    Weeks since last win: 18

2017 (Jul-Dec) - €100k – 7x€50 = €350
    2018 (Jan-Dec) - €200k – 12x€50 = €600
    2019 (Jan-Dec) - €250k – 20x€50 = €1,000
    2020 (Jan-Dec) - €252k - 24x€50 = €1,200
    2021 (YTD) - €257k - 0x€0 = €0

• Advertisement

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    I also have the online account now fully set up and new features include a banner notification alerting you you've won something if you log in after a win and also email notification of the win.

Starting to look like yet another Prize Bond company administration disaster. Sent three of these off over 3 weeks ago. First PIN received a week ago. Second one got a letter saying you have no state savings (completel rubbish). No sight or sign of the third PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Starting to look like yet another Prize Bond company administration disaster. Sent three of these off over 3 weeks ago. First PIN received a week ago. Second one got a letter saying you have no state savings (completel rubbish). No sight or sign of the third PIN.
    Gov agencies at their best! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

abff wrote: »
    I’m not sure that telling someone to read back over several hundred pages of posts is particularly helpful.

Demand deposit rates are close to zero at present. If you know that you won’t need the money for several months, you could look at a fixed term deposit, but you need to be prepared to tie your money up for at least a year if you want anything in excess of 0.1%. Post office savings accounts currently offer 0.05%. But this is not subject to DIRT (currently 33%) or PRSI.

If you have €276k to invest over 9 months, you would earn just over €100 in a post office savings account. The odds would favour you “winning” much more than this if you put the money into prize bonds.

Prize bonds it is then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

People seem to be invested in prize bonds for well over 5 years and get dismal returns. Wouldn't you be far better served with equities? You can afford to wait out a stock market crash and recovery in that time frame.

I presume you weren't thinking of PG&E (from $60 down to $11), Murphy Oil (from $31 down to $16), Devon Energy (from $36 down to $22), Apache (from $52 down to $17), Baker Hughes (from $46 down to $20), etc, etc, etc when you were thinking of how much better PB holders could have done by investing in equities in that 5 year timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I don't think anyone here is using Prize Bonds and expecting to make a good return, it's a safe substitute for cash

Easy to say you'd make more investing in equities but there's always a chance you'd have less in 5 years plus the emotional stress of it as well, I have a house deposit saved that I won't need for a few years but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of seeing it fall 40/50%, I know it'll recover eventually but would still be a rough journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Investor12

That is not correct. Suppose the crash occurred a few weeks before you needed to draw down the capital ?

5 years is often regarded as the minimum timeframe required to invest in equities.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I presume you weren't thinking of PG&E (from $60 down to $11), Murphy Oil (from $31 down to $16), Devon Energy (from $36 down to $22), Apache (from $52 down to $17), Baker Hughes (from $46 down to $20), etc, etc, etc when you were thinking of how much better PB holders could have done by investing in equities in that 5 year timeframe.

The performance of a single companies isn't an issue if you're diversified. Strange how Irish people regard the stock market as gambling. You don't see this attitude in other European countries. Maybe if more Irish people invested in equities there would be political pressure to reform the tax system. The global economy will always trend upwards in the long-term, barring a massive disaster that ends civilisation.

Unless you're approaching retirement, then you should have little to no bonds in your portfolio. May as well hold cash considering the paltry returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The performance of a single companies isn't an issue if you're diversified. Strange how Irish people regard the stock market as gambling. You don't see this attitude in other European countries. Maybe if more Irish people invested in equities there would be political pressure to reform the tax system. The global economy will always trend upwards in the long-term, barring a massive disaster that ends civilisation.

Whenever I see the "only in Ireland" claim, I take a look at the evidence. Usually the claim is based on an idea in a person's head, rather than something which has been researched. This looks to be the case with your idea as well.

I did already know that German people do not use credit cards as much as we do, and that seems to be in line with their attitude to risky investments.

https://voxeu.org/article/cross-country-differences-risk-attitudes-towards-financial-investment

More interestingly, significant country differences arise. Institutional and cultural factors seem to have a substantial influence on the formation of individual risk-benefit perceptions associated with financial investment. Figure 2 suggests, for instance, that people living in the Netherlands, Austria, and Germany think that investments in shares, mutual funds, and bonds are on average extremely risky whilst their expected returns are very low. In contrast, those in the US, Turkey, UK, and Australia tend to have the exact opposite belief, that is, investing in financial assets can be highly beneficial, with a risk below the mean of all other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

I'm almost 100% in equities. I'll never be able to retire early with bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Unless you're approaching retirement, then you should have little to no bonds in your portfolio. May as well hold cash considering the paltry returns.

Agree you shouldn't hold bonds unless you're near retirement but I think you're mixing up portfolio and savings, not all savings should be invested in a portfolio, could be a number of reasons why it would be better to hold cash/prize bonds, but agree if you don't need the money within 5 years then you're probably better off investing some portion into equities instead of bonds

Fair enough the returns on prize bonds are paltry to cash but at least you've the chance (albeit very small) to earn a little bit here and there, bit of fun as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

And nothing again
    And nothing again - 6 weeks on the trot at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Week eighteen.....

Winnings on 9th April €0
    Weeks since last win: 18

2021 (YTD) - €257k - 0x€0 = €0

Same here - there's been a serious cutback in prizes. Government has obviously decided it doesn't want the use of the citizens cash anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Furze99 wrote: »
    Same here - there's been a serious cutback in prizes. Government has obviously decided it doesn't want the use of the citizens cash anymore.

It would not be in the interest of the State and us as taxpayers to pay out a larger interest rate if we can borrow on the market for 0% or even negative interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 16th April 2021: €0
    Last win 18th December 2020: €100
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3150
    2011: €75 x 4 = €300
    2012: €75 x 6 = €450
    2013: €50 x 12 = €600
    2014: €50 x 9 = €450
    2015: €50 x 5 = €250
    2016: €50 x 5 = €250
    2017: €50 x 4 = €200
    2018: €50 x 2 = €100
    2019: €50 x 6 = €300
    2020: €50 x 5 = €250
    2021: €0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 16th April 2021: €0
    Last win: 18th December 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 17
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 24 wins in 198 weeks (12%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-Dec): 10 x €50 = €500
    2021 (Jan-date): 0 x €50 = €0

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Another €50 today on €60,100, making that 3 wins of €50 in the space of 4 weeks after a dry spell since the final purchase in October.

I think the approximate expected wins of €50 on that amount would be 3 - 4 per year so I'm about there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It would not be in the interest of the State and us as taxpayers to pay out a larger interest rate if we can borrow on the market for 0% or even negative interest rates.

No it wouldn't - but there may come a time when the government will be looking for citizens cash. There is a wee element of patriotism involved. And when that time comes, they may find that the citizens will not be so keen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

Nothing here again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yep nothing for me again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No it wouldn't - but there may come a time when the government will be looking for citizens cash. There is a wee element of patriotism involved. And when that time comes, they may find that the citizens will not be so keen anymore.

Even if they reduce the prizes again the funds will still keep flowing in. Like they have in record amounts since the last two reductions in 2017 and 2021.

Because someone with €100K who wants to keep it safe for a year shouldn't be too concerned whether that stays at €100K. Or goes up to €100,100 if they put it on deposit, or €100,250 if they get average luck with Prize Bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pbtracker

Another €0 for me. I did buy another €15K this week but would not be in this draw so hopefully might be lucky next week!

Winnings on 16th Apr 2021: €0
    Last win : €50 5th Mar 2021
    Investment : €77K (from Aug 2020)
    Winnings Total : €250
    Pre 2020 : €50
    2020 : €150
    2021 : €50

First win of 2021. At this point last year I had 8 x €50.

Winnings on 16th April €50
    Weeks since last win: 19

2021 (YTD) - €257k - 1x€50 = €50

It's nothing to do with patriotism, it's an investment choice. Money is flowing into Prize Bonds at present because even in a win nothing scenario it's a better return than the negative interest rates which the banks are offering. If the government continue to offer 100% capital security and to pay a rate considerably higher than the banks deposit rates then the inflow will continue.

• Advertisement

First win of 2021. At this point last year I had 8 x €50.

Winnings on 16th April €50
    Weeks since last win: 19

2021 (YTD) - €257k - 1x€50 = €50

Wow €257k?? Money is wasted on some people...

Advertisement