Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 26th March 2021: €0
    Last win 18th December 2020: €100
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3150
    2011: €75 x 4 = €300
    2012: €75 x 6 = €450
    2013: €50 x 12 = €600
    2014: €50 x 9 = €450
    2015: €50 x 5 = €250
    2016: €50 x 5 = €250
    2017: €50 x 4 = €200
    2018: €50 x 2 = €100
    2019: €50 x 6 = €300
    2020: €50 x 5 = €250
    2021: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

No Joy.
    My time in the winner's enclosure was glorious but brief.
    Firmly back on the outside looking in.

Jan XXXXX
    Feb XXXX
    Mar XXX€X

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Zilch for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

€50 for me today.��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

pbwinner wrote: »
    Winnings on 26th March 2021: €0
    Last win 18th December 2020: €100
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3150
    2011: €75 x 4 = €300
    2012: €75 x 6 = €450
    2013: €50 x 12 = €600
    2014: €50 x 9 = €450
    2015: €50 x 5 = €250
    2016: €50 x 5 = €250
    2017: €50 x 4 = €200
    2018: €50 x 2 = €100
    2019: €50 x 6 = €300
    2020: €50 x 5 = €250
    2021: €0

Is 75’tje largest you ever won !!! Thought there were thousands and thousands in prizes - 🀓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing for me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I posted about it here. There doesn't appear to have been any publicity. Maybe they are going for a soft launch to allow early adopters to do all their testing and debugging for them.

In addition to being quite convoluted, the registration process appears slow and erratic. I initiated three registrations at the same time almost two weeks ago. So far, one received the authorisation letter mid last week, returned it but no mention of the PIN being despatched so far, the second one received the authorisation letter yesterday (a week later) and nothing has been received for the third one.

I skimmed over that post last week.Ive started the process now .
    Be handy to have all the info in one place but they don't make things easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Gibmiester

€50 today on bonds bought in 2020.

Year|Savings|Prizes|Total
    2018 | €5k | 0 | €0
    2019 | €10k | 0 | €0
    2020 | €30k | €50 x 3 | €150
    2021 | €39k | €50 x 1 | €50
    Grand Total | | | €200

Better than interest/DIRT etc, for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

yabadabado wrote: »
    I skimmed over that post last week.Ive started the process now .
    Be handy to have all the info in one place but they don't make things easy.

Received the first PIN today. Site is basic but functional. As you say handy to have it in one place. Purchase process passes you over to the existing unregistered guest page but at lease it pre-populates the fields. It's possible to print a statement of your holdings which is great as the last few times I requested this from State Savings it took weeks and on one occasion a couple of months. PIN appears to be for initial sign-on only. Two factor authentication using your mobile for log-on ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Received the first PIN today. Site is basic but functional. As you say handy to have it in one place. Purchase process passes you over to the existing unregistered guest page but at lease it pre-populates the fields. It's possible to print a statement of your holdings which is great as the last few times I requested this from State Savings it took weeks and on one occasion a couple of months. PIN appears to be for initial sign-on only. Two factor authentication using your mobile for log-on ongoing.

Can you view a list of all your saving purchases and see the current and expected balance etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Bought 60k worth of bonds in three 20k batches in July, August and October of 2020, adding to a €100 batch purchased in April for the purposes of getting set up on their system to make it easier for larger puchases.

First win today of €50 on the 20k batch purchased in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Better than interest/DIRT etc, for now...
    Walking down the street is better at this rate. (I've found about €100 in the last 2 years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Walking down the street is better at this rate. (I've found about €100 in the last 2 years!)

Which streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

billyhead wrote: »
    Can you view a list of all your saving purchases and see the current and expected balance etc

Unfortunately I can’t answer that yet. The account that I received the PIN for has Prize Bonds only, no other State Savings products. I’ll have to wait until one of the other ones shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nothing for me today. Continuing my March count:

Week 4. 31 million bonds AUV to AVZ inclusive won 164 prizes. Highest AVW 11, lowest AVD zero. Average per million 5.290. This would convert to €100K winning €220 in a year. All prizes today €50 except an AVE bond which won the €250K. 164 is 4.136% of the 3,965 prizes awarded. This would convert to a fund value of €4,685 billion.

In the 4 draws the average wins per million works out at 5.498. This would convert to €100K winning €228.70 in 52 draws. Over the 4 draws I have calculated the fund value as 4.298, 4.405, 4.667 and 4.685 billion Euro, an average of 4.513. I would probably put the fund at more like €4.3 billion. A sample of around 4% of the results is not enough to make it accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

John arse wrote: »
    good helpful info there,and not keeping your investment a secret either.thanks
    Thank you, your very welcome, that's what this discussion and thread is all about, all about comparisons, just a rough estimate on the odds of winnings in regard to holdings and average winnings over a period of time, but in the end if we are honest with ourselves it's all just random luck.
    One poster puts up this
    Jan XXXXX
    Feb XXXX
    Mar XXX€ totally useless ''information'' I mean, what's that about, anyway nothing for me this week, total wins 2021 €100euro
    And interesting 3 Mayo bonds AVE613932, AVE650348, and AVE677029 won the €250,000, the other 2 bonds won €50 each, number very close and from the same county, could be a very lucky batch.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Thank you, your very welcome, that's what this discussion and thread is all about, all about comparisons, just a rough estimate on the odds of winnings in regard to holdings and average winnings over a period of time, but in the end if we are honest with ourselves it's all just random luck.
    One poster puts up this
    Jan XXXXX
    Feb XXXX
    Mar XXX€ totally useless ''information'' I mean, what's that about, anyway nothing for me this week, total wins 2021 €100euro
    And interesting 3 Mayo bonds AVE613932, AVE650348, and AVE677029 won the €250,000, the other 2 bonds won €50 each, number very close and from the same county, could be a very lucky batch.

I had a good look at that earlier, going back to the first week AVE featured in the winners, 5th Feb. The evidence is a bit inconclusive, but it could be a big investment. Anyway it paid off big time in very short order for whoever it is. We can look at the AVE results in all the future draws, and that should get a good handle on how much the holder in Mayo actually has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    One poster puts up this
    Jan XXXXX
    Feb XXXX
    Mar XXX€ totally useless ''information'' I mean, what's that about, .

It's not totally useless information - he is showing whether he did (€) or didn't (X) win in the 4 or 5 draws of the month. I think it's a very clear way of laying out his success (or sadly, the lack of it). Other posters state they haven't won for 2/5/8/11 weeks - this is just a different way of giving the same information.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Let me just count up all my winnings to date....just get my calculator

Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I had a good look at that earlier, going back to the first week AVE featured in the winners, 5th Feb. The evidence is a bit inconclusive, but it could be a big investment. Anyway it paid off big time in very short order for whoever it is. We can look at the AVE results in all the future draws, and that should get a good handle on how much the holder in Mayo actually has.
    The AVE series must be a very recent issue, my 40K batch which I purchased in October 2020 5 months ago is the ATQ series, my first win €50euro on those was March 19th 2021.
    Just a quick question, 2 letter series (€6.35) bonds now rarely win, are they a waste of time and as for single letter bonds, now practically non existent in the winner's list, my wife has one, inherited from her late Mother who passed away in 2003, that's in the J series, probably dates from the 1960s, I think it would be an absolute miracle if that won anything, it just seems the real old bonds are buried really deep in the bottom of the pile.

• Advertisement

The AVE first appeared in the 05 Feb winners, and very likely the Mayo 250K winner got €50 in their very first week. They would have been bought very shortly before that.

Prize Value Winning Prize Bond Location

€50.00 AVE616508 Mayo

Keep your old bonds. Every million of those still in circulation will have the same chance of winning as the new millions being bought every month. I did a calculation in post #7075 page 472. If you look at the results every week there are always some from the 1950's all the way through to the start of the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

I purchased €75,000 worth of prize bonds last August 2020 and I haven't won a cent since. Seriously thinking of cashing in and seeking an alternative investment strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The pin for my online account arrived this morning, whole process took just shy of three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Shauna677 wrote: »
    I purchased €75,000 worth of prize bonds last August 2020 and I haven't won a cent since. Seriously thinking of cashing in and seeking an alternative investment strategy.

I bought €30k of Apple, and €12K of Amazon in August 2020, and I'm down €400 on Apple (excluding the €50 in dividends), and €1900 on Amazon. According to most people on these threads I should be laughing all the way to the bank.

In prize bonds your money is secure, and while you don't get the potential returns (at one point I was "up" €7k), you also don't have the stress of what the markets are doing week by week.
    If the money I invested was the deposit for a house, I wouldn't like to be swallowing those losses when I needed to withdraw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Not aware of any alternative safe investment - your money is guaranteed - will you keep us up to date on developments ? Have similar to invest

I have decided to withdraw my prize bonds back into cash, I called them this morning and they advised me what to do, money will be in bank within couple of weeks. I am going to put it with raisin.ie, at the moment they have a savings account offering 1.2% for two years. Better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

yes indeed keep us up to date please,i'm thinking that way myself but don't know zilch about other so called safe investments,small risks and losses would'nt really bother me,thanks,talk anon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

yeah further to my earlier post,just sold a house there last week so circa 100k+ being invested somewhere(plus 66k in bonds),any tips or advice welcomed:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

Rulmeq wrote: »
    ....If the money I invested was the deposit for a house, I wouldn't like to be swallowing those losses when I needed to withdraw it.

I wanted to do this but the mortgage broker advised against this. They said the banks didnt look favourable on deposits being 'invested' and potentially at risk.

He understood that whilst your capital (deposit) was safe, its purely about optics for the banks and maximizing loan approval at draw down.

• Advertisement

Rulmeq wrote: »
    I bought €30k of Apple, and €12K of Amazon in August 2020, and I'm down €400 on Apple (excluding the €50 in dividends), and €1900 on Amazon. According to most people on these threads I should be laughing all the way to the bank.

In prize bonds your money is secure, and while you don't get the potential returns (at one point I was "up" €7k), you also don't have the stress of what the markets are doing week by week.
    If the money I invested was the deposit for a house, I wouldn't like to be swallowing those losses when I needed to withdraw it.

I do hope your investments will rise soon again. I wouldn't have the nerve to go near the stock market plus I'm semi retired so can't afford to risk whatever savings I have.
    I really thought I would win the odd €50 here and there with that much money invested in prize bonds. I checked the website deligently every week for 7 months but as the months went by without a win in sight, my enthusiasm waned.

Advertisement