Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

bamayang wrote: »
    I don’t think it is. I imagine it is very hard for him to accept not being one of the best or one of the favourites for every tournament, as he currently isn’t. And faced with the choice of working exceptionally hard at his game for the next number of years or walk away (with a medal haul greater than most), I think he might go with the later option.

* I say all this as a big fan of his, and I hope he doesn’t retire.

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous over reaction. Despite being in some of the worst form of his career he was still amongst the favourites for the masters, I think the highest I saw him was 19/1. If he regains a bit of form over the next few weeks while working with Cowen its not unreasonable to assume he will be back in amongst the favourites by the time The Open comes around. By the time next years Masters comes around with a year of working with Cowen I think we will see some improvements and he'll be in contention for some events if not majors.

People in here are acting like he's been like Jordan Spieth, outside the top 50 for years and almost outside the top 100. He's only last week returned to the top 50. If McIlroy had been in the wilderness like that for years I could maybe see him retiring but he's had a bad year since golf shutdown in 2020. He's barely outside the top 10 right now, people need to relax with these crazy over reactions to his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

He had a similar slump in form before and then came back and won 5 in a year and got back to world number 1, no major unfortunately but if covid hadn't happened I think he would have won one. I'm sure he'll pull himself out of this slump in a month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rose back in the pack already

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Betting posts removed. We have a dedicated thread for that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rose back where he started lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

13 off the lead now and 3 outside the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Speak Now wrote: »
    13 off the lead now and 3 outside the cut.

Might be a mercy all round if he cuts out. .he's a pitiful sight ....it's like watching a Rolls-Royce being driven on flat tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not sure Iv seen him this lost or bereft of confidence before. He isn’t actually that far away from hitting it well but looks like he has no trust or belief in hitting the ball. Way too much going on in his head.

I thought when he started the season in Abu Dhabi and started pretty good but faded in the end it was a nice start to the year but it’s just regressed since.

Needs a timeout for a few weeks, settle down get a kick up the arse and come back stronger.

On a side note; Harrington will be quite worried with this form. He will be badly needed for the Ryder cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

No birdies on the front 9 par 5's. Cant make the cut now.

boardise wrote: »
    Might be a mercy all round if he cuts out. .he's a pitiful sight ....it's like watching a Rolls-Royce being driven on flat tyres.

More of a volkswagon "golf" these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

No need to change the thread title anyways

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wheels up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Double at the 10th. That’s that.

When you're beside the long ago past champions and amateurs on the leaderboard you know it's a bad Masters for you, well unless you are a past champion or an amateur of course :P

abff wrote: »
    Double at the 10th. That’s that.

Good length putt it was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Needs an extended break and get down to work with Cowan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Needs an extended break and get down to work with Cowan.

New caddy might help as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Spieth may complete the career slam before him.

Unthinkable 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭dublin49

hmmmm,golf more than any other sport has so many moving parts that when you go looking for change it can lead you down a lot of cul de Sacs.I am thinking of Michael Campbell,Duval ,immelman,Ian Baker Finch and I am sure there are loads more where you think it has to come back but never does.Luke Donald is probably more about age but probably the greatest player that this happened to was Seve who was more or less finished as a maor threat in his early thirties and he looked a tormented soul when it happened.McLlroy I suspect will improve from here but there has to be some doubt he will ever get back to his swashbuckling best.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

Rory mailroy has got to be the most overrated golfer ever..since he signed the big deal years ago plus took on an air of arrogance and an American twang..he has nosedived to the level of of golf he more suited to ..mediocrity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How does a 63 year old (Langer) come to within 1 shot of matching Rory over 2 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Pussyhands wrote: »
    How does a 63 year old (Langer) come to within 1 shot of matching Rory over 2 rounds?

Cos Rory played ****

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Golfs biggest fossetts circus since bozoo.
    Just had a purple patch early on In he's so called career,why there still on about him who the fook knows.wooly head snigger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Why was he one of the favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

dublin49 wrote: »
    hmmmm,golf more than any other sport has so many moving parts that when you go looking for change it can lead you down a lot of cul de Sacs.I am thinking of Michael Campbell,Duval ,immelman,Ian Baker Finch and I am sure there are loads more where you think it has to come back but never does.Luke Donald is probably more about age but probably the greatest player that this happened to was Seve who was more or less finished as a maor threat in his early thirties and he looked a tormented soul when it happened.McLlroy I suspect will improve from here but there has to be some doubt he will ever get back to his swashbuckling best.

Duval was cursed by injuries & vertigo. Rory is just playing ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Because as you can see from this thread McIlroy is still being seen as a top golfer by certain people but when you look at his performances over last 12 months even longer he is just bang average .

Look at his scoring in last 2 days ? He got 4 birdies in the par 5s and none on a par 4 or par 3 ... This is when you have average rated golfers shooting scores in 60s as course playing easy especially yesterday .

First missed cut at the masters in 11 years, not unexpected but he'll be disappointed no doubt. Think he can get back to number one under cowan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Was he?? His highest odds since his debut. Wasn’t in top 10 of the betting.

Think Mcginley hit the nail on the head really in saying “ Rory’s troubles not unique in golf. There’s never been a player,including Tiger, who didn’t have losses in form. The reasons are generally found in confusion & doubt as paralysis by analysis takes hold. A clear head is needed. He will come again.”

Huge amount of this slump is in his head. All mental. No belief or confidence at all. Also seems that he is really trying to make a Fade his go too shot. Was trying to hit fades constantly the last two days. A slight draw was always his shot. While fading the ball seems to be the best way on tour (DJ, JT, Brooks, Morikawa, Rahm) I think Rory needs to do what he does best and go back to his basic draw.

A break of a few weeks, have an honest conversation about where his game is and where he wants to get back to. He needs to get the drive, confidence and swagger back.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    Golfs biggest fossetts circus since bozoo.
    Just had a purple patch early on In he's so called career,why there still on about him who the fook knows.wooly head snigger :D

Best Irish golfer of all time lad, give up the booze you're embarrassing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement