Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

blade1 wrote: »
    It's going to be a process of elimination.
    Any burnt wires around main fuse/starter solenoid?

All fuses are fine.

I'll try and get a look at the wiring. I have power at the kill switch itself

Worst case scenario I’ll probably have to get Swanton to look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    All fuses are fine.

I'll try and get a look at the wiring. I have power at the kill switch itself

Worst case scenario I’ll probably have to get Swanton to look at it
    You might have power but have you enough power when it comes to starting the bike.
    Is it turning over quickly when trying to start?
    Lights and everything working properly?

Old bikes can be funny,they'll start after being idle for years and then the next day you try and no joy.

You might have power but have you enough power when it comes to starting the bike.
    Is it turning over quickly when trying to start?
    Lights and everything working properly?

Old bikes can be funny,they'll start after being is for years and then the next day you try and no joy.

It's turning over quickly, all lights are working. There's air in the clutch master cylinder and brakes but it doesn't matter is my understanding as the clutch isn't needed to start it.

I'm quickly getting a big headache due to my lack of knowledge

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    It's turning over quickly, all lights are working. There's air in the clutch master cylinder and brakes but it doesn't matter is my understanding as the clutch isn't needed to start it.

I'm quickly getting a big headache due to my lack of knowledge

Air in the clutch wouldn't matter anyway as it would be a switch at the lever.

Hey, I thought it was a project for the kids?
    Let them deal with the headaches :pac:
    Seriously though, you've taken on a bit there alright.

You should buy this.
    Less headaches and will probably be cheaper in the long run :pac:
    If it was near me I'd even go for a look at it for myself.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbr-1994-998cc-black-beauty-becoming-rare-/27727823

• Advertisement

Air in the clutch wouldn't matter anyway as it would be a switch at the lever.

Hey, I thought it was a project for the kids?
    Let them deal with the headaches :pac:
    Seriously though, you've taken on a bit there alright.

The kids have stripped the bodywork off it in fairness to them, started cleaning it as well.

Bleeding the clutch and brakes is straightforward, if I could get it running I’d be in cloud 9 now.

You should buy this.
    Less headaches and will probably be cheaper in the long run :pac:
    If it was near me I'd even go for a look at it for myself.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbr-1994-998cc-black-beauty-becoming-rare-/27727823
    The thoughts of even travelling that far in normal circumstances would be a head wrecker let alone now :o

How yer man did that trip for my DL650 I’ll never know

No power going to the coil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I'm not approaching an authority on this but I'd be bypassing all safety circuits by joining the wires and confirm they are bypassed (for the time being) .
    I'd check the ignition and handle bar wiring back to the coils for breaks (Google how to do this with a mm, it's easy and a huge help)
    I'd check all earth's are good and assuming it's running a vac fed petcock ala it's younger brother ensure the pipes are connected, esp the skinny vac one.
    Assuming you have spark at this point and still no start it's time to do the sensible thing and pull the carbs as after 20 yrs sitting they're prob gona need help.

H_Lime wrote: »
    I'm not approaching an authority on this but I'd be bypassing all safety circuits by joining the wires and confirm they are bypassed (for the time being) .
    I'd check the ignition and handle bar wiring back to the coils for breaks (Google how to do this with a mm, it's easy and a huge help)
    I'd check all earth's are good and assuming it's running a vac fed petcock ala it's younger brother ensure the pipes are connected, esp the skinny vac one.
    Assuming you have spark at this point and still no start it's time to do the sensible thing and pull the carbs as after 20 yrs sitting they're prob gona need help.

Could it be the kill switch in short?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

later on in the year i will be getting a shed. When I get a shed I will obviously need a project to put in the shed.....

Suggestions welcome on a nice project bike. I like the rebuild of the fazer on here, and h_lime's build threads, so would like to do something like that but not to the same level. Current bike is the fazer 600 - i could just strip that down and do a mild restoration on it, but would rather something different and interesting/simple to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭robbie_63

lennymc wrote: »
    later on in the year i will be getting a shed. When I get a shed I will obviously need a project to put in the shed.....

Suggestions welcome on a nice project bike. I like the rebuild of the fazer on here, and h_lime's build threads, so would like to do something like that but not to the same level. Current bike is the fazer 600 - i could just strip that down and do a mild restoration on it, but would rather something different and interesting/simple to work on.

How about we just take turns sending our bikes down to you for a service...

Split my head open this morning at work.
    Only thing I was looking forward to was restrictions easing and getting some decent spins in on the bike.
    Any idea how long it takes a wound to heal so I won't open it up putting
    on and off a helmet?
    I've had 13 staples put in the corner of my forehead ffs :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The pressure the lid puts on the staples might be a problem. Balaclava and tape would protect but the pressure on the staples causing too much pain to enjoy a spin is what would concern me..

The pressure the lid puts on the staples might be a problem. Balaclava and tape would protect but the pressure on the staples causing too much pain to enjoy a spin is what would concern me..

Yeah would we be talking weeks....a month maybe???
    F*ckin balls!
    Screenshot-20210409-092636.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Two weeks would hopefully see it near right. As you realise any pulling of the staples will fcuk it, but two weeks should significantly lessen the pain factor.. You took a nice smack, rotten timing

Two weeks would hopefully see it near right. As you realise any pulling of the staples will fcuk it, but two weeks should significantly lessen the pain factor.. You took a nice smack, rotten timing

Yeah knocked unconscious for a few seconds.
    I cut an artery and there was blood squirting out of it.
    They stitched that in CUH but an eye has to be kept out for that as if the artery bleeds again I have to go back up they told me.
    Thought my skull was smashed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Took me a couple of months after I had a head injury. 2-3 to give the wound time to heal or it'll rip again when helmet tugs on it.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Took me a couple of months after I had a head injury. 2-3 to give the wound time to heal or it'll rip again when helmet tugs on it.

Yeah that's what's worrying me.
    I've got back up on bikes loads of times with broken legs and ribs as soon as I could haul myself onto my bike but this cut is bothering me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

F*ckin balls!

3o0n.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

F*ckin balls!

That's some gash man, jaysus! What did you hit it off??

• Advertisement

ronanc15 wrote: »
    That's some gash man, jaysus! What did you hit it off??

Tripped and went flying head first into the corner of a wall.
    The sharp edge of the corner felt like an axe going through my skull.
    I was carrying something at the time so couldn't put out my hands to save me.
    Took the full force of my weight plus the forward motion of me falling.
    I connected with the wall about a foot higher than the ground so you can imagine the force.
    There was no one around and when I came round and got up I thought I was going to flop down again and be f*cked.
    I've had a few nasty crashes and even fell off a bridge backwards one time but this time I thought I was a goner.

Pulled myself together some bit and drove to nearest doctors where as I pulled up he was just walking into work.
    I said can you help me out.
    He said I can but you need to get to a hospital.
    He patched me up a bit and sent me to cuh.
    When the doctor saw the GPs patching up and those tape stitch things he said to me he was really pīssing against the wind there.

I connected with the wall about a foot higher than the ground so you can imagine the force.
    There was no one around and when I came round and got up I thought I was going to floo down again and be f*cked.
    I've had a few nasty crashes and even fell off a bridge backwards one time but this time I thought I was a goner.

Pulled myself together some bit and drove to nearest doctors where as I pulled up he was just walking into work.

Jesus man, it sounds like you were very lucky that wasnt a lot worse - as nasty as it was. Just as well you came to afterwards or that story could have very different ending. Even if the staples were solid id be giving it a couple of weeks. Head will probably be all the over the place, bad concussion territory. Hope you feel better soon dude.

Jesus man, it sounds like you were very lucky that wasnt a lot worse - as nasty as it was. Just as well you came to afterwards or that story could have very different ending. Even if the staples were solid id be giving it a couple of weeks. Head will probably be all the over the place, bad concussion territory. Hope you feel better soon dude.

Everyone that knows me just goes not again and pretty much take the piss out of me. :pac:
    Apparently I look like an Islamic terrorist now :eek: (bandages on head)
    Already I've 11 broken bones, cuts from accidents, even a bottle smashed off the back of my head one time.
    I was 49 the other day and thought I'm done with this sort of craic!
    I was supposed to be on two weeks holidays but got a call on the second day to see could I cover from someone that went off sick.
    No good deed goes unpunished eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

There was no one around and when I came round and got up I thought I was going to flop down again and be f*cked.

When the doctor saw the GPs patching up and those tape stitch thing he said to me he was really pīssing against the wind there.

Lucky you weren't seriously killed.

Everyone that knows me just goes not again and pretty much take the piss out of me. :pac:
    Apparently I look like an Islamic terrorist now :eek: (bandages on head)
    Already I've 11 broken bones, cuts from accidents, even a bottle smashed off the back of my head one time.
    I was 49 the other day and thought I'm done with this sort of craic!
    I was supposed to be on two weeks holidays but got a call on the second day to see could I cover from someone that went off sick.
    No good deed goes unpunished eh :rolleyes:

Least you've a solid excuse next time you're asked to cover, eh.

zubair wrote: »
    Lucky you weren't seriously killed.

I know, I think I may have just got normal killed but thank f*CK it wasn't serious :pac:

Least you've a solid excuse next time you're asked to cover, eh.

Ah I like work but over this pandemic I haven't been able to get holidays.
    I think these were holidays that I was supposed to take march 2020.
    At this stage I've over 8 weeks coming to me.

I don't think I look like an Islamic terrorist :rolleyes:

IMG-20210409-152122.jpg

Maybe a bit now....
    Bombs away!!! :pac:

Screenshot-20210409-220005-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ouch. Decent gash. will leave a nice scar. Might be a few weeks before the lid really doesn't open it up. Take it handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

My own tale of woe doesn’t come close to blades. But last weekend my bike was in getting a bit of work done so I didn’t have it last weekend. This weekend I’m on call for work so that means sitting at home by the phone.

I got out for a short spin yesterday, but it feels like forever since I’ve been out on it.

Advertisement