Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,818 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully Max and Lewis can battle throughout the remainder of the season and have a championship showdown in Abu Dhabi. That would be good.

Happy Easter to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Poor effort.

Actually I seen a better effort recently only 3days too Late unfortunatly.

It went something

Like,

Mercedes AMG banned from F1 due to outlawed floor and giving data to Aston Martin F1

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Anybody booked flights etc for any races this year had planned on going to my first one last year, could end up the same this year who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Anybody booked flights etc for any races this year had planned on going to my first one last year, could end up the same this year who knows

I had tickets and flights for Hungary last year. F1 tickets were refunded and we moved our flights to the same weekend this year. I'm hoping rather than expecting that we'll be able to go.

• Advertisement

Hard to skirt around talk of vaccines etc. but it's frustratingly still up in the air. If you get AZ then even if you got the first dose in June it'll be late September before the second dose. If things keep going slowly then even the single-dose could arrive pretty late.
    But yeah it's really up in the air. My less-ambitious plan for now is to get over to the UK in September/October for a couple of BTCC races. They'll be well sorted by then and hopefully we'll just about get to the point we can nip over. For Europe they're treading water like us so a few weeks difference could be massive even at the end of the summer.
    Belgium/Holland/Italy on consecutive weekends at the end of August into September could be pretty fun. But I don't think I could get someone to mind the dog for that long. :P

I'm reading some special features on the motorsport.com website. Very good article about when Kimi joined Sauber in 2001 and what it meant for his then team-mate Nick Heidfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm reading some special features on the motorsport.com website. Very good article about when Kimi joined Sauber in 2001 and what it meant for his then team-mate Nick Heidfeld.

Was quite a good episode on the Bring back V10s podcast recently, with Kimis engineer from Sauber describing how that move came about, and how his move to McLaren affected Heidfeld

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Seems like an awful long time between first and second race. I guess we got spoiled last season when the season got started, it felt like the next race always came thick and fast.

The three week break will probably give teams time to develop and iron out issues from Bahrain. Mercedes will probably benefit most.

The bigger teams say they have let off staff to meet the budget cap so will that effect development. Seems a shame when the drivers salary isn't included in the budget cap. Would make it more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is almost worse than the preseason.
    We've had a taste of a great race and I want more!! I actually feel that the WDC is up for grabs this year. Would love to see it go down to the last race between max and lewis, and an end to HAM BOT VER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

recyclebin wrote: »
    Seems like an awful long time between first and second race. I guess we got spoiled last season when the season got started, it felt like the next race always came thick and fast.

The three week break will probably give teams time to develop and iron out issues from Bahrain. Mercedes will probably benefit most.

The bigger teams say they have let off staff to meet the budget cap so will that effect development. Seems a shame when the drivers salary isn't included in the budget cap. Would make it more interesting.

Ah, F1 never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. They had Drive to Survive which generated great interest amongst potential f1 fans, and then a great opening race (which would normally have been a very boring race in Melbourne) and then a three week gap to allow all those potential new fans to forget about it and lose track of when the next race will be.

OSI wrote: »
    Not exactly F1's fault. The Australian GP was supposed to be the week before Bahrain and the Chinese GP this weekend. Not really sure what they're supposed to do when the races are postponed at pretty short notice.

True enough about the cancelations, but planning to have a boring Melbourne race as the first race of they year is already planning to miss an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OSI wrote: »
    Not exactly F1's fault. The Australian GP was supposed to be the week before Bahrain and the Chinese GP this weekend. Not really sure what they're supposed to do when the races are postponed at pretty short notice.

Why was the Chinese race cancelled? They seem to have Covid under control. Was it a fear if it coming back in again I wonder? A pity as I like the Chinese track. Always some good races there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭flazio

On the one hand, if Lewis wins it this year it increases the likelihood he won't be back next year, on the other if Max wins it Lewis comes back next year to prove a point.
    What do I want to happen this year? *shrug*

Ah, F1 never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. They had Drive to Survive which generated great interest amongst potential f1 fans, and then a great opening race (which would normally have been a very boring race in Melbourne) and then a three week gap to allow all those potential new fans to forget about it and lose track of when the next race will be.

They really have done well with DTS. I know a couple of girls in their mid-twenties who are mad into F1 now because of it. That said, I think they're more into the drama that comes with the show rather than the actual racing. One of them thought they were watching an F1 race live last weekend, when they were actually watching a replay of an F2 race :p

Basil3 wrote: »
    They really have done well with DTS. I know a couple of girls in their mid-twenties who are mad into F1 now because of it. That said, I think they're more into the drama that comes with the show rather than the actual racing. One of them thought they were watching an F1 race live last weekend, when they were actually watching a replay of an F2 race :p
    Ha!

Well, everyone has to start somewhere. The traditional way to learn about f1 was to have your dad, or older brother or friends watching and then they tell you about it and teach you about it. Now DTS has introduced lots of people to it without ever having seen the racing yet. They need to be coached along.

It’s not a simple sport where anyone can follow without some guidance - who the good guys and bad guys are, for example.

Report here that that sprint races have been agreed between the teams and are due to be announced.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/63520/f1-sprint-races-set-to-be-confirmed-after-financial-deal-agreed/

The teams wanted extra money in the budget cap, but smaller teams objected so they came to a compromise of an additional 0.5m for three sprint races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Basil3 wrote: »

Even I, an F1 fan since the 80s, struggle to pay attention over a full race length. So for new fans it must be harder.

That's where highlights shows are a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Even I, an F1 fan since the 80s, struggle to pay attention over a full race length. So for new fans it must be harder.

That's where highlights shows are a good idea!

Ive never yet seen an f1 highlights package that worked in terms of telling the real story of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

I would rather (and used to) watch a full race taped off the tv, than watch a highlights package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

mickdw wrote: »
    Ive never yet seen an f1 highlights package that worked in terms of telling the real story of a race.

So much can happen in a race as we know...and the timeline is quite important as to how the end result comes about. It'll be difficult for any broadcaster to convey the overall picture of events when they are not permitted to show more than 50% of the race coverage!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So much can happen in a race as we know...and the timeline is quite important as to how the end result comes about. It'll be difficult for any broadcaster to convey the overall picture of events when they are not permitted to show more than 50% of the race coverage!

I agree but highlights do nothing for f1.
    Typically you might just see both front running cars pitting and maybe the lead swapping but will have lost all the timeline of the stategy and the suspense re who was going to pit first etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Hulk has joined Aston Martin, bit more pressure on Seb now

Highlights can be done properly but usually aren't. The short ones on YouTube seem good but then for no reason they'll skip a pitstop or 2 and you're left wondering wtf happened. Channel 4's highlights were 70-80% of the entire race but they'd often jump during a break, coming back with a shot of a car coming into the pits which would have a poor impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

The Hulk has joined Aston Martin, bit more pressure on Seb now

Not really, he was already their de facto reserve since last year.

It's incredible to see the desperation some people have to write off Vettel on the basis of a single race where he couldn't do a qualifying lap because Mazepin spun in front of him meaning he had to race from the very back of the grid in an unfamiliar car that had broken down repeatedly in both testing and practice before he got any mileage in.

You could just as easily write Alonso off for getting a plastic bag stuck in his vent. There are plenty of races ahead.

quokula wrote: »

It's incredible to see the desperation some people have to write off Vettel on the basis of a single race where he couldn't do a qualifying lap because Mazepin spun in front of him meaning he had to race from the very back of the grid in an unfamiliar car that had broken down repeatedly in both testing and practice before he got any mileage in.

You could just as easily write Alonso off for getting a plastic bag stuck in his vent. There are plenty of races ahead.

That's not a fair comparison though, is it? Vettel is on a run of very poor form over the last 2-3 seasons and Alonso isn't. The race last week was unlucky for Vettel. He was doing a Perez-esque job of making the one stop strategy work, but then made a Vettel-esque balls up and ran into the back of anther car (and blamed them which appeared a bit desperate.

It was a mixed weekend for him but the balls-up was following a pattern, not a single, isolated event. How would you characterise his last two seasons before this, good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

quokula wrote: »

Vettel is on a run of poor form for some time now, he's been a busted flush for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭barryribs

I'd like to give the four time world champion, who has just joined a new team, who completed the fewest laps testing, till mid season before we write him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Vettel is on a run of poor form for some time now, he's been a busted flush for a while.

A bit unfair on him. I am not a huge Vettel fan but he last won a race in 2019 (which was classic Vettel), and snatched a nice podium last year in a crazy race. You could also see his frustrations with Ferrari had boiled over, so it wasn't just on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Vettel ran into another car and blamed the other driver. If anything, you could say he's back on form :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement