Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭vectra

No. He said they didn't offer him a contract. And they didn't offer him a contract.

They said there would need to be a serious pay cut (which is appropriate) and Vettel refused and that ended the conversation so they didn't go through the charade of offering him a contract

Now you are getting more confusing.
    You said they offered him a pay cut that he refused.
    Now you say they didn't offer him a contract.
    Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭This is it

vectra wrote: »
    Which is it?

An offer doesn't need to be a contract.

Hey Seb, we need to discuss your contract but there'll need to be a big cut

No thanks

Ok, no point in offering a contract so.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Just out of curiosity - what did you guys think of the track in India?

None of us know the ins and outs but think back to Vettel's time at Ferrari, right from the start. It's a meme how bad Ferrari's strategy calls are. I probably watch an average of 2 random race highlights most days lately and once in a while there'll be a radio clip of Vettel on the radio having to run his own strategy and over rule the team from making an incredibly stupid call.
    The constant stresses and idiocy likely throughout the team is bound to take its toll. He won 4 championships in a row so he's banked plenty of credit. If he doesn't beat his team mate this year then yeah, he's probably done. Whether he can get his mojo back remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

Debub wrote: »

I always felt it was a cut and paste job of Fuji, Sepang and Shanghai. Not enough character and too much smog for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Which is it?

It's both Though i didn't say they offered him a pay cut in a contract - it didn't get as far as offering him a contract. They talked (not a contract offer) and told him there would need to be a pay cut if they were to go further with the negotiations.
    What's confusing?

None of us know the ins and outs but think back to Vettel's time at Ferrari, right from the start. It's a meme how bad Ferrari's strategy calls are. I probably watch an average of 2 random race highlights most days lately and once in a while there'll be a radio clip of Vettel on the radio having to run his own strategy and over rule the team from making an incredibly stupid call.
    The constant stresses and idiocy likely throughout the team is bound to take its toll. He won 4 championships in a row so he's banked plenty of credit. If he doesn't beat his team mate this year then yeah, he's probably done. Whether he can get his mojo back remains to be seen.

Yeah he's pretty much running on reputation for the last couple of years. But he has a pretty big reputation to run on, so it's not all bad. He hasn't beaten his teammate in the last two seasons. The loss to Leclerc was huge last year. Outscored by 3:1 (98:33). But Leclerc might be a top driver so there's some face saving in being so badly beaten by a top driver. But if he comes in anywhere near Stroll's level then his reputation will be difficult to rescue and he'll move into the category of a driver who had a career of two halves and was pretty average unless he had a car that suited him (meaning he couldn't adapt very well to a car that didn't suit him).

This is it wrote: »
    An offer doesn't need to be a contract.

Hey Seb, we need to discuss your contract but there'll need to be a big cut

No thanks

Ok, no point in offering a contract so.
    It's both Though i didn't say they offered him a pay cut in a contract - it didn't get as far as offering him a contract. They talked (not a contract offer) and told him there would need to be a pay cut if they were to go further with the negotiations.
    What's confusing?

Correct me if I am wrong.
    But didn't the story go more like

"Ring Ring"
    Hello

Hi Seb, this is Mattio here, we won't be renewing you'r contract next season as we don't need you anymore.

(Vettel )

:confused::confused:

Correct me if I am wrong.
    But didn't the story go more like

"Ring Ring"
    Hello

Hi Seb, this is Mattio here, we won't be renewing you'r contract next season as we don't need you anymore.

(Vettel )

:confused::confused:

Yeah. And apparently before that it went something like:

"Ring Ring"
    Hello

Ferrari: Hi Seb, we'll need you to take a big pay cut if we can offer you a contract this year

Seb: Well I'm not interested in that at all.

Ferrari: Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement

Yeah. And apparently before that it went something like:

"Ring Ring"
    Hello

Ferrari: Hi Seb, we'll need you to take a big pay cut if we can offer you a contract this year

Seb: Well I'm not interested in that at all.

Ferrari: Ok

"Apparently" :confused:

As I said, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ferrari never went as far as offering Sebastian Vettel a new contract for 2021, having made its decision about his future during the off-season, The Race has learned.

Furthermore, it has also emerged that the terms of Carlos Sainz Jr’s deal with Ferrari were agreed during the winter, well in advance of what was set to be the first 2020 Formula 1 race, in Melbourne.

Our sources indicate there was no offer made to Vettel because Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto had already made up his mind about Vettel after a 2019 season that featured several points of conflict in the Vettel/Charles Leclerc combination – most infamously in Brazil where the pair made contact, leading to the retirement of both cars.

Vettel is contracted until the end of 2020 but there was never any discussion about him staying beyond the duration of that contract.

Vettels Ferrari exit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

True enough. I wonder about the team dynamics at AM. We know that everyone seemed to assume the Vettel’s treatment at Ferrari caused him to perform poorly. But we also know that Stroll was given preferential treatment over Perez last year (though nobody presumed that should lead to Perez performing similarly poorly to Vettel).

So if AM don’t treat Vettel as their No.1 will that also be a reason for Vettel to perform poorly? If Stroll gets an upgrade ahead of Perez I’d expect Perez to fight tooth an nail to overcome the disadvantage. If Stroll gets an upgrade over Vettel I’d expect the toys to fly out of the pram and lots of people to excuse any poor performance by Vettel

By Ferrari experience I was referring mainly to the car underperforming and some gaffs from the team. Driver gaffs too.

Not sure about preferential treatment but if the car isn’t enjoyable to drive and issues arise I can’t see Vettel wanting to commit.

Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Debub wrote: »

I liked it but it was just too soon to have a Formula1 track in India. Maybe when the country gets more developed and richer they can go back there.
    I thought it was a good track with character.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Nothing about it suggests it’s involuntary. Mercedes really has an amazing corporate culture. Incredible that they manage to power on even when they replace a top person. No bitching, no disunity imagine if Ferrari were half as good at this stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

God I wish this weekend had a race.

Really looking forward to this season.
    Next even more so but I’m so excited at the prospect of Max vs Lewis and the middle of the pack has great battles.

Ms

Adamocovic wrote: »
    God I wish this weekend had a race.

Really looking forward to this season.
    Next even more so but I’m so excited at the prospect of Max vs Lewis and the middle of the pack has great battles.
    There is Formula E on this weekend and its live on BBC2 today from 2:45pm and Quest from 3pm.
    It's from Rome.
    Then another one Tomorrow live from 12pm on Quest.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

7aw79wn4has61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I have a bottle of Jarno Trulli wine that I can drink for the race next weekend. It will be either Trulli good or Trulli bad. *runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I have a bottle of Jarno Trulli wine that I can drink for the race next weekend. It will be either Trulli good or Trulli bad. *runs*

It'll probably be really good on Saturday, but crap on Sunday.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Enjoy I was trying to buy some Danny Ric red wine but does not ship yet to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ricimaki

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Enjoy I was trying to buy some Danny Ric red wine but does not ship yet to Ireland.

Does it include a sweaty shoe to serve it in?

Ms

ricimaki wrote: »

Might help it taste better too lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Has anybody booked any trip to gp this year
    I was planning to go last year but that didn't happen. Don't know if it will b possible this year eithet

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

ricimaki wrote: »

Yes with every purchase forget glasses so last year. :D

I am sure it will be trulli splendid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

It'll probably be really good on Saturday, but crap on Sunday.

Once you've had some you'll want to start a conga line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

TCP/IP wrote: »

Just put 'top a the morning to ya', scotland - its all the one to danny!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭klose

Race week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Watching some season reviews lately and tonight is 2012.

What a great season that was.

First 7 races we had 7 different winners, Rosberg's win in China in the Mercedes, Maldonado's win in Spain in the Williams, McLaren's pit woes, Hamilton vs Maldonado in Valencia, the huge pile-up at the first corner in Spa caused by Grosjean (plus a few other incidents involving him!), Hamilton leaking the team info on Twitter and subsequently joining Mercedes, Vettel's podium in Abu Dhabi despite being at the back of the grid twice, the finale in Brazil.

How good would it be to have another season like that where you largely haven't got a clue who is going to win or what is going to happen from one race to the next?

• Advertisement
    Ms

BrentMused wrote: »
    Watching some season reviews lately and tonight is 2012.

What a great season that was.

First 7 races we had 7 different winners, Rosberg's win in China in the Mercedes, Maldonado's win in Spain in the Williams, McLaren's pit woes, Hamilton vs Maldonado in Valencia, the huge pile-up at the first corner in Spa caused by Grosjean (plus a few other incidents involving him!), Hamilton leaking the team info on Twitter and subsequently joining Mercedes, Vettel's podium in Abu Dhabi despite being at the back of the grid twice, the finale in Brazil.

How good would it be to have another season like that where you largely haven't got a clue who is going to win or what is going to happen from one race to the next?
    Yep that was a great season alright. If there was one year I could go back and watch all over again it would be that year for me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement