Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We also considered this as it meant more time with our guests. however one of the most exciting parts of the day for us is the walk up the aisle..... Each to their own but I love that part of the wedding......Its up to you personally, a first look could also help settle any nerves before the ceremony.
    One other thing to think about is if maybe you might like a few moments away from your guests for just the two of you...... I am anticipating the day going like a whirlwind so the opportunity to break away from everyone and have just the two of us might act like a mini "time out" that we might need.

Thanks a mill! Tbh the idea of seeing each other for the first time on our own (well, and the photographer) is really growing on me. It means we can have a proper kiss, hug, chat etc instead of the more formal meeting at the top of the aisle and launching straight into the ceremony.

I know what you mean about the day going so quickly. But since there's a curfew, I thought doing a first look might actually help to make the day longer (i.e. the day would "start" earlier, for the two of us anyway). We can still sneak some private time together during the day, but without disappearing for the whole drinks reception. I just feel like it might make the whole day feel more relaxed - once the ceremony is over, we can effectively relax for the day instead of rushing off to take photos and then trying to play catch up with all our guests later. As an aside, I really hate the part of the day where the bride and groom "do the rounds" during dinner. I'd much prefer to sit down and enjoy my meal, maybe popping around to a few people if I really want to chat to them instead of trying to fit in a certain aunt etc between courses because I haven't ticked her off my list yet. I think being present during the drinks reception would help avoid all that since we'll be able to chat to a lot of people more organically then.

It's just a thought atm anyway. I think I'm more keen on it than the OH! So I'm just trying to look at it from all angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

We are going t go ahead regardless in May. Finding it next to impossible to get anyone to cater on the day. Local restaurant "don't work mondays" so won't do it. Most Caterers looking for a minimum of between 50 and 75 guests even in level 5 which is laughable. We are not paying close to a grand for 6 or 7 people.

Decided on making food the night before and getting stuff from takeaways, chips garlic bread etc.....

You should look into something like the Allta box https://alltabox.ie/ - they deliver nationwide and the food is amazing- there is some heating up etc but it could be part of the fun if there's only 6 of you.

I saw a couple recently have Etto at home for their wedding - not sure how she got it as they don't do nationwide delivery but I'm sure its arrangebale. Would be worth contacting a restaurant that do those boxes and get it delivered the day before maybe?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Apart from eating healthy does anyone have anything else they are planning on doing on the lead up to help achieve "the bridal glow"?

I'm not overweight, but I have put on a bit of weight during the pandemic - or if I'm honest, it's crept up over a couple of years, despite eating healthier than ever. For me, its down to a natural slow-down of my metabolism due to ageing. I'm 46 so it's expected but I do wish I got married 15 years ago when I was a slim wrinkle free young wan.

I have exercise plans to tone up generally, and I'm seeing some results there- which is motivating so I'm increasing that. I'm going to invest in a really good face cream for women my age, and I've noticed that (for me) my complexion looks a lot less grey when I get a full nights sleep, when I've drank lots of water consistently and when I'm getting outdoors. And I cut out booze on school nights and only sparingly on weekend nights. I've cut coffee and tea down to my morning coffee and a very rare tea occasionally, but switched to herbal teas. Food wise I'll eat really well during the week - a big salad for brunch, and a home cooked dinner with at least half my plate being veg, but one takeaway a week is our Friday treat. I think I'm starting look a bit better with those changes, and they are ones I find easy to make. I need to increase my exercising more which is the plan this week - 30day shred every morning, a run or walk in the woods at lunchtime and hopefully build in some good yoga after work.

For the day itself, the plan is a very good light tan, good makeup, and Photoshop the rest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm not overweight, but I have put on a bit of weight during the pandemic - or if I'm honest, it's crept up over a couple of years, despite eating healthier than ever. For me, its down to a natural slow-down of my metabolism due to ageing. I'm 46 so it's expected but I do wish I got married 15 years ago when I was a slim wrinkle free young wan.

I have exercise plans to tone up generally, and I'm seeing some results there- which is motivating so I'm increasing that. I'm going to invest in a really good face cream for women my age, and I've noticed that (for me) my complexion looks a lot less grey when I get a full nights sleep, when I've drank lots of water consistently and when I'm getting outdoors. And I cut out booze on school nights and only sparingly on weekend nights. I've cut coffee and tea down to my morning coffee and a very rare tea occasionally, but switched to herbal teas. Food wise I'll eat really well during the week - a big salad for brunch, and a home cooked dinner with at least half my plate being veg, but one takeaway a week is our Friday treat. I think I'm starting look a bit better with those changes, and they are ones I find easy to make. I need to increase my exercising more which is the plan this week - 30day shred every morning, a run or walk in the woods at lunchtime and hopefully build in some good yoga after work.

For the day itself, the plan is a very good light tan, good makeup, and Photoshop the rest. :pac:

Tan is the thing I am worried about. I planned on getting a light spray tan done - I NEVER wear fake tan and so cannot put it on myself. I usually have no issue with my pasty pale skin but I wanted a warm glow just to almost hide some of the imperfections (veins and uneven skin tone). Dont trust the at home ones either.

I am very comfortable doing my own make up (though will probably end up having to do my mum and sisters too which is not ideal) and just about manage hair - but I am very much missing the prep of a professional wax and tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

zedhead wrote: »
    Tan is the thing I am worried about. I planned on getting a light spray tan done - I NEVER wear fake tan and so cannot put it on myself. I usually have no issue with my pasty pale skin but I wanted a warm glow just to almost hide some of the imperfections (veins and uneven skin tone). Dont trust the at home ones either.

I am very comfortable doing my own make up (though will probably end up having to do my mum and sisters too which is not ideal) and just about manage hair - but I am very much missing the prep of a professional wax and tan.

I’m the opposite I always have tan on but I’ll probably panic if I have to do it myself and put way too much on.
    I had someone booked to do hair and makeup. We’d be useless in my family to do this ourselves so hopefully they’ll still be able to come.

Only thing that would encourage me to postpone would be hairdresser not opening beforehand my mothers and sisters hair is in a terrible way and they wouldn’t look themselves in photos and Id hate to put anyone in that position.

I’m good to drink water but harder in work as mask has to come on and off. Other than that I’m trying to wear less makeup under the mask as it breaks me out wearing it all day, skin has never been good but chin cystic acne very persistent.

I’ve never been to a beauticians so what do people get done in run up to wedding or special event other than facials?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got a wax pot online and the proper professional wax, pre-wax cleanser after-lotion and spatulas from a local beauty supply shop and I'm actually able now to wax myself fairly decently. I keep the heat very low, that takes a couple of hours to warm up but it means it's not too hot on my skin. I've even taught the OH how to pull the wax off so he's on hand if I'm stuck. :p

I also do my own eyebrows now, I had a disaster with the chemist kits so a kind boards user who's a beautician gave me a list of what I needed, and explained how to do it and I've never looked back. In Ireland, you can't get those over the counter unless you've a trade card because it's chemicals near the eye or something but I was able to order it on Amazon to a NI address.

Before lockdown, I used to do very short 5 or 8 mins every fortnight on sunbeds. It was never enough to tan, and I wouldn't go on them for longer, but it did take away the pallid colour. I don't know if I'd do that though until covid is a non-issue, so I'll probably get a spray tan. I'd love a week on a hot beach beforehand - the sand, salt and aftersun usually leave my skin glowing after a holiday and I usually get free highlights thanks to the sun and some lemon juice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just wondering, since I have seen conflicting reports online. Does the 6 attendees for a wedding include the bride and groom or is it bride and groom plus 6 does anyone know?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just wondering, since I have seen conflicting reports online. Does the 6 attendees for a wedding include the bride and groom or is it bride and groom plus 6 does anyone know?

Bride and groom plus 6 - some of the registry offices can't accomodate that though and have smaller numbers due to space issues.

I got a wax pot online and the proper professional wax, pre-wax cleanser after-lotion and spatulas from a local beauty supply shop and I'm actually able now to wax myself fairly decently. I keep the heat very low, that takes a couple of hours to warm up but it means it's not too hot on my skin. I've even taught the OH how to pull the wax off so he's on hand if I'm stuck. :p

I also do my own eyebrows now, I had a disaster with the chemist kits so a kind boards user who's a beautician gave me a list of what I needed, and explained how to do it and I've never looked back. In Ireland, you can't get those over the counter unless you've a trade card because it's chemicals near the eye or something but I was able to order it on Amazon to a NI address.

Before lockdown, I used to do very short 5 or 8 mins every fortnight on sunbeds. It was never enough to tan, and I wouldn't go on them for longer, but it did take away the pallid colour. I don't know if I'd do that though until covid is a non-issue, so I'll probably get a spray tan. I'd love a week on a hot beach beforehand - the sand, salt and aftersun usually leave my skin glowing after a holiday and I usually get free highlights thanks to the sun and some lemon juice.

I'd probably brave doing my own legs , would be wary of underarms but might try- but the bikini area - not a chance in hell. And while technically I do not need that done as the area will not be visible - it would just make me feel a lot better if I am being honest.

Eyebrows I pluck and really like the shape I have so fine with that. I can bleach any facial hair too.

My sister has suggested I get these and try them out over the next week or so to see what they look like. Have 4 weeks until the wedding so n ot leaving it untul the last minute. https://www.beautybay.com/p/isle-of-paradise/self-tanning-drops/light/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Bride and groom plus 6 - some of the registry offices can't accomodate that though and have smaller numbers due to space issues.

We have had conflicting information from all angles. The registrar said bride groom our son (as he is in the same household) and the priest are not included. But then we live with my partners mother as she is from the same household is she counted too?

We have our appointment with the registrar on Friday so we will clear it up then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone managed to book a civil ceremony anywhere at the moment? The website is a disaster and any time I've called (various counties at this stage) I've had to leave a name and number but have never received a call back!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks for that, is the photographer part of the 6?

No, key suppliers are not included. But i do think its best to check with your venue to be sure.

I think so according to this https://onefabday.com/wedding-restrictions-under-level-5-in-ireland/

From 3rd January 2021 until at least May 4th 2021, Ireland is subject to Level 5 restrictions, which means weddings are strictly limited to a small number of guests.
    • Guests: Weddings can have a maximum of 6 guests
      • The couple are not included within this number
      • Venue staff are also not included within this number
    • Services:
      • Music and dancing are not allowed at a wedding, reception must be a sit-down meal only
      • Hair and Make Up Services are not permitted at any venue or home
      • Photographers are permitted at weddings as stated here.
    • Travel: Guests can travel outside their counties to attend a wedding
    • Overnight Accomodation: Hotel and other tourist accomodation can be provided for couples and their 6 guests
    • Finishing Time: Weddings must conclude at 11pm with all guests having vacated the reception space by 11.30pm
    • Travelling from Northern Ireland: The domestic travel section of the Level 5 guidelines pertains only to residents of the Republic and people outside of this should follow the guidelines which are applicable in their own jurisdiction.
    • How long the current restrictions will last: there is no information on how long these restrictions will be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

My venue said nobody working at the wedding would be included, so photographer and celebrant don't count as guests. Best to check with the venue in case they have constraints due to space for social distancing etc.

My venue said nobody working at the wedding would be included, so photographer and celebrant don't count as guests. Best to check with the venue in case they have constraints due to space for social distancing etc.

This is what ours has said too. Said if we wanted a videographer they were allowed too but we aren't having one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Based on the legislation, the bride and groom and any suppliers are not included in the guest number. Anyone else is, whether in the household or not:
    Wedding Receptions
    9. (1) A person shall not organise, or cause to be organised, a wedding reception in a relevant geographical location other than in accordance with paragraph (2).
    (2) A person may organise, or cause to be organised, a wedding reception in a relevant geographical location in a premises other than a dwelling where the person takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the maximum number of persons attending, or proposed to attend, the wedding reception –
    (a) for the period beginning on the 31st day of December 2020 and ending on the 2nd day of January 2021, does not exceed 25 persons, or
    (b) for the period beginning on the 3rd day of January 2021, does not exceed 6 persons.
    (3) For the purposes of this Regulation, in reckoning the number of persons attending a wedding reception, no account shall be taken of -
    (a) the persons getting married, or
    (b) persons so attending in a professional capacity, in the course of their employment, or in fulfilment of a contract for services.

With the curfew of 11.30 it speaks about a reception venue. But surely a garden party in our own back garden go can longer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

With the curfew of 11.30 it speaks about a reception venue. But surely a garden party in our own back garden go can longer?

I don't know if you or anyone what has a solid answer on this but I noticed from the legislation extract I posted above that it doesn't appear that garden parties are actually legal as it specifies receptions in "premises other than a dwelling". A friend is planning a wedding in their garden so I'm curious as to what the legal situation is.

If they are, the 11.30 curfew was set by Fáilte Ireland as far as I know so wouldn't apply to a private garden party.

I don't know if you or anyone what has a solid answer on this but I noticed from the legislation extract I posted above that it doesn't appear that garden parties are actually legal as it specifies receptions in "premises other than a dwelling". A friend is planning a wedding in their garden so I'm curious as to what the legal situation is.

If they are, the 11.30 curfew was set by Fáilte Ireland as far as I know so wouldn't apply to a private garden party.

We will be informing neighbours anyway but expect a knock on the door regardless from the gardai. But we will be going past half eleven that's for sure.

• Advertisement

Currently garden gatherings are prohibited. So if that's still the case at the date of your wedding, the Gardai could well turn up long before curfew.

Imagine. The Guards turning up to a private gathering at your home just because its a gathering :( What a time.

Currently garden gatherings are prohibited. So if that's still the case at the date of your wedding, the Gardai could well turn up long before curfew.

Sure nowhere will take a wedding booking, where else are ya to have it?

If they do show sure it will be a story to tell at parties.

True!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I admire some of your beauty and health care plans, I know myself I won't bother with half of the stuff, because other than makeup and a good skincare routine I don't do much else generally. Like I never wear fake tan or get waxed!

Trying to drop some weight that has crept up over the last few years but I know I won't have the drive to do a major overhaul. I've cut takeaways and alcohol down to once a week and am eating well during the week generally.

I'm the worlds worst for exercise, but I'm currently doing a squat challenge so hopefully I'll keep that up and maybe get some weights and start doing some cardio again too. I've 6 months to go so I definitely have enough time to improve on what I'm doing. I'm just so feckin lazy! I'm also working on the thinking that I don't need to lose weight to feel good on the day, I think I already look pretty good in my dress, I could just do with toning up to look my best. Plus it helps that my A-line dress hides my heaviest parts haha!

For the day itself I might just use a gradual tan moisturiser in the run up to it to take the pasty look out of my skin! Have hair and makeup booked, I'd be very surprised if they're not allowed happen for October so fingers crossed.

I just hope my skin behaves itself, I tend to break out around the chin and jawline area, and my decolletage is never great either. Are any of you taking supplements for your skin or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

Ankhyu wrote: »
    I admire some of your beauty and health care plans, I know myself I won't bother with half of the stuff, because other than makeup and a good skincare routine I don't do much else generally. Like I never wear fake tan or get waxed!

Trying to drop some weight that has crept up over the last few years but I know I won't have the drive to do a major overhaul. I've cut takeaways and alcohol down to once a week and am eating well during the week generally.

I'm the worlds worst for exercise, but I'm currently doing a squat challenge so hopefully I'll keep that up and maybe get some weights and start doing some cardio again too. I've 6 months to go so I definitely have enough time to improve on what I'm doing. I'm just so feckin lazy! I'm also working on the thinking that I don't need to lose weight to feel good on the day, I think I already look pretty good in my dress, I could just do with toning up to look my best. Plus it helps that my A-line dress hides my heaviest parts haha!

For the day itself I might just use a gradual tan moisturiser in the run up to it to take the pasty look out of my skin! Have hair and makeup booked, I'd be very surprised if they're not allowed happen for October so fingers crossed.

I just hope my skin behaves itself, I tend to break out around the chin and jawline area, and my decolletage is never great either. Are any of you taking supplements for your skin or anything?

That's great, i think your approach of small changes will work really well.
    I was thinking of starting on revive active.... does anybody know if they are any good or is there any other more popular ones that brides usually take?

I definitely won't be wearing tan. I never do so it would be strange. White as a ghost as well. I'll ramp up the weight loss next month and just continue as I am with skin and hair. My mua and hairdresser are costing enough so I'm sure they will be able to work their magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

We rescheduled to July and I feel way better about it, starting to get excited for the fun things again. My hair and makeup girls reckon we'll probably be OK to have trials in that timeframe, I'll hopefully be able to meet the florist in person to discuss the flowers and we might manage a menu tasting! Maybe that's very naive but it's nice to be looking forward to things about the wedding and not having all the prep being cutting guest numbers and working out what restrictions we can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redheadcork

I’m October too so 6 months to go. Little bit of weight has crept on, I want to lose a bit but not a lot.going to make a commitment to run and do few weight sessions. Nothing major. Back on hair vitamin, perfectil.
    Confusticated had similar thought earlier, I can enjoy the build up now rather than worry about restrictions.

• Advertisement

3 and a half weeks to go! Getting a little stressed again as my mum went into hospital last week with a severe infection. If treatment goes well we are hoping she will be in there for the next 2 weeks at the very longest but I now need to see if our new venue would allow for a last minute postponement if needed. Getting married without my mum there is not really an option.

On a slightly lighter note has anyone tried the spotlight teeth whitening strips. I plan on wearing bright red lipstick which can make teeth look a little more yellow - so want to order something to brighten my smile.

Advertisement