Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

They have allowed the celebration of marriage with 50 people but only if it is in a church.....

Are you sure? As far as I can see every journalist is reporting it applies to religious and non religious wedding ceremonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

PCros wrote: »
    But where could a 50 person civil ceremony take place? A hotel can only allow 8 people in total for the meal. Very tricky having 50 people walk in assuming they would all leave accordingly.

Strange situation to be honest.

Like just keep it all in unison - 6 for the church/civil ceremony/hotel dinner now, then for June it could be 25 for church/civil ceremony/hotel and so on.

Rubbish.

A wedding is a religious ceremony. Simple as that. So it should apply to the same rules as the numbers for worship.

The civil marriage/humanist wedding numbers is clearly an oversight but surely bringing all numbers down to 6 is not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Rubbish.

A wedding is a religious ceremony. Simple as that. So it should apply to the same rules as the numbers for worship.

The civil marriage/humanist wedding numbers is clearly an oversight but surely bringing all numbers down to 6 is not the solution.

Sorry what are you saying is rubbish exactly?

The numbers are already at 6 so they wouldn’t be going down. They are not going to jump from 6 to 50 overnight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

RTE is currently reporting:

"Up to 50 people will be allowed attend religious services including weddings, funerals and masses.

However, indoor wedding parties will remain capped at six guests and 15 for outdoor celebrations."

Unclear as always.

They really need to clarify whether or not they're only talking about churches for 50 at a wedding ceremony. I suspect they might say that it depends on the size of the ceremony room though.

And what counts as an outdoor celebration? Marquees were counted as indoor venues last year.
    It's really not possible to plan an unsheltered outdoor wedding party in this country! Could you imagine if it started raining and then only 6 of the 15 guests were allowed indoors...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

woodchuck wrote: »

Could you imagine if it started raining and then only 6 of the 15 guests were allowed indoors...

I actually could!!!!! And it may come down to this for most people.

Yes, every media publication has quoted in the context of "50 people will be allowed attend religious services including weddings" ...... Weddings have been viewed by the govemernt as a religious service. It has been exclusively reported in this context and not as a wedding regardless of the ceremony type.

Here is hoping that it is just an oversight and it applies to all weddings not just those in a church..... otherwise the government has taken the county back years......

As for the restrictions on the wedding party bit..... well sure just when we thought numbers would be the only thing we had to worry about we have a new player in the game....... 50 people at a church than 6 at a reception..... is anybody thinking of this as an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

"Up to 50 people will be allowed attend religious services including weddings, funerals and masses.

However, indoor wedding parties will remain capped at six guests and 15 for outdoor celebrations."

Unclear as always.

They really need to clarify whether or not they're only talking about churches for 50 at a wedding ceremony. I suspect they might say that it depends on the size of the ceremony room though.

And what counts as an outdoor celebration? Marquees were counted as indoor venues last year.
    It's really not possible to plan an unsheltered outdoor wedding party in this country! Could you imagine if it started raining and then only 6 of the 15 guests were allowed indoors...

The examiner have reported that a marquee is classed as outdoors.

Goose76 wrote: »

The outdoors indoors :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

25 at weddings from June 7th

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Our wedding is the 5th. We just wanted an extra 2 - 4 guests so that our brothers (and their girlfriends) could attend. I'm gutted.

They'll now be able to stay in our hotel but not attend our wedding because of 2 days!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hopefully we’ll see 50 from July and 100 from August. Am I being too optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Our wedding is the 5th. We just wanted an extra 2 - 4 guests so that our brothers (and their girlfriends) could attend. I'm gutted.

They'll now be able to stay in our hotel but not attend our wedding because of 2 days!

I think your venue would be inclined to turn a blind eye realistically but not sure how you’d go about asking them.

I think your venue would be inclined to turn a blind eye realistically but not sure how you’d go about asking them.

We're trying to work that out ourselves! It's a big hotel so I'm worried they'll be a bit more of a stickler for the rules. We've emailed asking for a can so hopefully we can work out a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Hopefully we’ll see 50 from July and 100 from August. Am I being too optimistic?

Very difficult to say. I'd guess for 50 in August.

I'd talk to the hotel. My understanding is that hotels will be able to reopen from 2nd June, which will include indoor dining for guests. It depends on how rigidly they'll want to stick to the rules, but I could definitely imagine a lot of places turning a blind eye to 2 extra people under those circumstances.

I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd talk to the hotel. My understanding is that hotels will be able to reopen from 2nd June, which will include indoor dining for guests. It depends on how rigidly they'll want to stick to the rules, but I could definitely imagine a lot of places turning a blind eye to 2 extra people under those circumstances.

I hope it works out for you.

Yes I'd think they could arrange a seperate table for them at the very least and still be within the spirit of the guidelines. Also, as far as I'm aware, photographers etc do not count towards the six. Did I hear you saying your brother used to be a wedding photographer?

Goose76 wrote: »

Have you got a link to that by any chance?

Alkers wrote: »
    Yes I'd think they could arrange a seperate table for them at the very least and still be within the spirit of the guidelines. Also, as far as I'm aware, photographers etc do not count towards the six. Did I hear you saying your brother used to be a wedding photographer?

I'm hoping we can work off that angle. Will keep everyone updated.

Not my brother I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

We are August bank holiday and hoping it will be 50 by then, cant see why it would remain at 25 if essentially all vulnerable will be fully vaccinated and majority of population with at least 1 dose

Hopefully if everything goes well with the easing of restrictions that they've just announced, there should be further easing of restrictions over the Summer (July maybe?). Especially if the vaccine rollout goes somewhat to plan. You'd imagine that would include increased numbers for weddings.

I won't lie though, until we reach heard immunity with vaccines, I'll be concerned about another wave/setback/variant that will put us back to square one. And even then, there's always the fear that there'll be new variants imported that could make the vaccines less effective. It's very hard to know when we'll see the end of this thing and when things will truly be back to normal. But that's why we want to go ahead in September (if we can have 25 guests and it feels reasonably safe) and not keep postponing.

Not my brother I'm afraid!

That was ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

It’s confirmed in the government guidelines that it’s 50 for a civil or religious ceremony.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0bd80-new-public-health-measures-announced-the-path-ahead/

That was ;);)

Oh!! Yes, of course! ;):D

Raisins wrote: »
    It’s confirmed in the government guidelines that it’s 50 for a civil or religious ceremony.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0bd80-new-public-health-measures-announced-the-path-ahead/

I heard they had to clarify quick enough when they realised that same sex couples can't get married in a church!!

People are completely losing the run of themselves with the easing of restrictions today, I've been forwarded / seen on social media various articles / snippets about nightclubs being "looked at" for opening in June, the same period when wedding receptions will be increased to 25. These two ideas seem to completely contradict themselves in terms of consistency

People are completely losing the run of themselves with the easing of restrictions today, I've been forwarded / seen on social media various articles / snippets about nightclubs being "looked at" for opening in June, the same period when wedding receptions will be increased to 25. These two ideas seem to completely contradict themselves in terms of consistency

It's more that nightclubs will be "considered" at the end of June for opening later in the year. So essentially we'll know at the next announcement at the of June when indoor dining/pubs and night clubs will open.

Probably a case of Chinese whispers with those social media posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Just wondering anyone else June and planning a day 2 with 25 in the hotel? I’m hoping something like this would allow us to invite friends as the first day with 25 means I can only have family which won’t be much fun. So need to find ways to psych myself up for the whole thing and this is best we can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I don't know if that would be a runner since the numbers for weddings have usually been more than the numbers for any other gatherings or events, and the second day isn't technically a wedding. Worth asking your hotel though, I heard of a few places allowing that last summer with 50 one day and 50 the next.

If we do a day 2 (I'm not mad on them anyway) it'll just be immediate family/nearby friends coming to the house for lunch, and numbers will depend on what's allowed in a house by that point.

I agree with confusticated, that a day 2 isn't actually a wedding. So having a day 2 is technically not in line with restrictions. You could ask your venue about it and maybe they will accommodate it. But personally I'd be nervous that the day 2 might need to be cancelled at the last minute (e.g. if the local guards get wind that there's day 2's happening that are breaking the restrictions).

Also I know you don't want to postpone, but would you consider pushing out by an extra month or two even? I know there are no guarantees around the restrictions, but then we should be much further along with the vaccine rollout, so hopefully restrictions will be easing further again. You just sound very sad any time you mention going ahead with 25 guests :( For the sake of an extra couple of months, it could completely change your attitude towards the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I agree with confusticated, that a day 2 isn't actually a wedding. So having a day 2 is technically not in line with restrictions. You could ask your venue about it and maybe they will accommodate it. But personally I'd be nervous that the day 2 might need to be cancelled at the last minute (e.g. if the local guards get wind that there's day 2's happening that are breaking the restrictions).

Also I know you don't want to postpone, but would you consider pushing out by an extra month or two even? I know there are no guarantees around the restrictions, but then we should be much further along with the vaccine rollout, so hopefully restrictions will be easing further again. You just sound very sad any time you mention going ahead with 25 guests :( For the sake of an extra couple of months, it could completely change your attitude towards the wedding.

Thanks so much for the replie, postponing not an option as we just want it all over with now. I am very sad that 25 is just our family and so disappointed friends won’t be able to see us and be part of our day. I do feel really hard done by having postponed and waiting it out but at this stage putting it off again is just as bad. We have everything top class chosen for our new date and postponing even a few weeks means we would lose all that and I couldn’t face the hassle of researching and rebooking everything again - I over think things majorally so this is all playing in my head ALL the time. I can’t escape it so need to get it over with.

The age profile of my family means it’ll be more like a funeral party so that’s why I’m clinging to hope that we can have friends day 2. I have a priest lined up to perform a blessing so we have that to go on. Hotel haven’t got back to me and I dont know how I’ll take it if they can’t allow it. No one in my family could be bothered with putting party off til next year, it’s all or nothing. I’m really at my wits end with it all and taking it all very badly. It’s definitely not a happy time for me which gets me down even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

That sounds really tough, and kind of lonely. Is there anyone you can talk to about it? I know it won't change the facts of what's allowed and who would be going but just to stop the thoughts going round in your head even. It's much easier said than done but could you focus on the stuff after the wedding? You're moving into your new house with your husband then right?

Advertisement