Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Now maybe it's because I've been listening to it for over 3 years now, but I feel like classic hits has gotten very stale music-wise. It's like that priest DJ who only brought one record to the raffle night. They keep playing the same songs over and over. I understand they are playing classic songs but jeez. Take Tears for Fears for example - they have so many classic songs and yet classic hits only plays "Everybody wants to rule the world" over and over and over to the point I'm going to barf when I hear it.

Yep, I have not heard Tears for Fears but a few other songs also seems to be constantly playing whenever I switch on Classic Hits lately. It's becoming such a turn off if you have repeats everywhere all the time. The whole Classic Song Investigation or C.S.I. has also been over used across various shows weekdays & weekends so much so that they have completely exhausted the format. Where is the imagination? One of the few shows that did not seem to repeat was Classic Love Songs with Barry Lang last Sunday morning which was great! This won't last as I think Barry was only brought in to cover X 3 Sundays while Enda Murphy covered Breakfast on weekday mornings til Colm & Lucy start!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

It's happened already......

Had Classic Hits on in the van today, and after the news the newsreader said something like...Classic Hits, the home of the Colm and Lucy Breakfast Show..............................................

That's it, I'm out.

I think this will backfire big time for them, people turned off Nova because of these two, could it happen again???????

Dub Ste wrote: »
    It's happened already......

Had Classic Hits on in the van today, and after the news the newsreader said something like...Classic Hits, the home of the Colm and Lucy Breakfast Show..............................................

That's it, I'm out.

I think this will backfire big time for them, people turned off Nova because of these two, could it happen again???????

Yeah I heard it earlier - It's not the most inviting choice. I don't personally dislike Colm or Lucy as both are successful in their own respective fields over the years. That said, I just don't get the concept of Colm & Lucy as a duo on breakfast. Maybe a whole new type of Breakfast Show will be unveiled on Classic Hits which might be very different to their previous NOVA breakfast show? Best of luck to them but I suspect it will just be a switch and nothing more. The ad promo does not tease or excite the listener and therein lies the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Yeah I heard it earlier - It's not the most inviting choice. I don't personally dislike Colm or Lucy as both are successful in their own respective fields over the years. That said, I just don't get the concept of Colm & Lucy as a duo on breakfast. Maybe a whole new type of Breakfast Show will be unveiled on Classic Hits which might be very different to their previous NOVA breakfast show? Best of luck to them but I suspect it will just be a switch and nothing more. The ad promo does not tease or excite the listener and therein lies the problem.

You are so right, the ad does not encourage the listener at all that we will be still waking up happy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The CH social media and the likes of Mike Hogan and Lucy in their personal accounts have images up about the new breakfast.

PJ posted a Nova photo shoot on his own Instagram earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

How would PJ and Jim compare to Lucy when it comes to genuine music interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

The new breakfast show promo on CH face book has gone down like a lead ballon tonight.200 comments 99% negative ive never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

You are so right, the ad does not encourage the listener at all that we will be still waking up happy
    I think the whole switch is worth it just to not be woken up by that stupid baby laugh! (or to hear PJs squeaky voice rattle my eardrums)

They need to lose the "hit bit" and CSI too.

I really like the themed shows like the 90s in the evenings when nobodys listening or the love songs of Sunday morning. Why don't they just do a morning of just classic songs?
    6-7-70s
    7-8-80s
    8-9-90s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

AlgerShane wrote: »
    How would PJ and Jim compare to Lucy when it comes to genuine music interest?

I'd imagine that PJ might be the most interested of all of them...
    bfa1509 wrote: »
    I think the whole switch is worth it just to not be woken up by that stupid baby laugh! (or to hear PJs squeaky voice rattle my eardrums)

WOW...are YOU in for a surprise......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

vince wrote: »
    The new breakfast show promo on CH face book has gone down like a lead ballon tonight.200 comments 99% negative ive never seen that before.

Saw this too. I read a lot of comments and didn't actually see even one positive one. Everyone saying they won't be tuning in anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I see the Facebook post is advertising a segment called Classic Kids... what is it with Nova presenters not being able to shut up about kids?!

Glaceon wrote: »
    I see the Facebook post is advertising a segment called Classic Kids... what is it with Nova presenters not being able to shut up about kids?!

Do they think the female skewed listenership of CH like that ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Do they think the female skewed listenership of CH like that ****e?

I don't anyway. I like waking up happy.

Another promo on fb today for colum and lucy breakfast show gone down well 200+ negative comments. I know we like a bitch and moan when a show changes but ive never seen such a negative response to a show change. Think its worse because the move was in house and theyve cut off the loyal listners outside Novas reach. Is this radios bigest mistake.

Wheety wrote: »
    Saw this too. I read a lot of comments and didn't actually see even one positive one. Everyone saying they won't be tuning in anymore.

2 fb posts now 99.9% negative response.

vince wrote: »
    Is this radios bigest mistake.

That would be DAB. But, it's not as if this was a CH centric idea.

Nobody in CH is on the Board. CH has the licence set up Nova wants, but...

As Classic Hits Sunday Love Songs was finishing up before 11:00am this morning I thought I heard Barry Lang say you will now be able to catch him on Classic Hits every weekend on both Saturday & Sunday Afternoons from 2:00 to 6:00pm. I gather Enda Murphy returns to his usual slot next Sunday morning as he'll probably finish doing the Weekday Breakfast Show on Wednesday 31st March with Colm & Lucy due to start on CH on 1st April.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

As Classic Hits Sunday Love Songs was finishing up before 11:00am this morning I thought I heard Barry Lang say you will now be able to catch him on Classic Hits every weekend on both Saturday & Sunday Afternoons from 2:00 to 6:00pm. I gather Enda Murphy returns to his usual slot next Sunday morning as he'll probably finish doing the Weekday Breakfast Show on Wednesday 31st March with Colm & Lucy due to start on CH on 1st April.

Dusty rhodes is finishing up tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Bojill wrote: »

That's a shame.
    Is it just me or are the songs on the station being pitched slightly +1, like dave kelly wanted them sounding on FM104?

Bojill wrote: »

I was curious about Dusty Rhodes 5:00pm start time on Sundays if Barry Lang's new show does not finish until 6:00pm so now we know. Sorry to hear that Dusty Rhodes has now finished up on his Sunday Night 90's Show on Classic Hits. I wonder if Robbie Fogarty is also on the way out given that Barry Lang will be on air during the whole of his show slot on next Sunday afternoon? Meanwhile what next lies in store for Dusty Rhodes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I was curious about Dusty Rhodes 5:00pm start time on Sundays if Barry Lang's new show does not finish until 6:00pm so now we know. Sorry to hear that Dusty Rhodes has now finished up on his Sunday Night 90's Show on Classic Hits. I wonder if Robbie Fogarty is also on the way out given that Barry Lang will be on air during the whole of his show slot on next Sunday afternoon? Meanwhile what next lies in store for Dusty Rhodes?
    Maybe Nova will pick up Dusty's 90s show. I think Nova, already having an 80s show on Friday nights, could do with a 90s one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Meanwhile what next lies in store for Dusty Rhodes?

Well it was a pre-recorded show so no serious loss to wherever he was anyway.

Anyone know what shows on CH are voice tracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭KildareP

Dusty has his own production company so his show was more of a "podcast" format than an actual show.

Robbie Fogarty is only a swing jock on Classic Hits, his main presenting role is Sunshine breakfast. He's also listed as music director for Classic Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Another scalp for Hayes maybe,...?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭chilloutrelax

It’s seems Nikki Hayes is gone from the schedule with Lisa Gernon replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I hardly doubt that! But sure whatever makes him look better I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ratracer

I managed about 10 mins of the breakfast show this morning. Colum and lucy are utter drivel. How is it so hard to find decent radio?

• Advertisement

I loved pj and jim so have listened to this new pair now on 3 seperate mornings.

They are terrible. Whatever about Colm Hayes. Lucy kennedy is beyond awful. Terrible radio voice. And either repeats or criticizes her co presenter. And this morning talking about when she had her baby 'in my tummy'

Just ugh. Bring back the 2 lads.

Advertisement