Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Did Jim McCabe work on any pirate stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Did Jim McCabe work on any pirate stations?

He does not seem to have. It seems his radio career started with East Coast FM in 1994.

Incidentally, Jim has also been a tv presenter on TV3 and Setanta Sports, and, according to Wkipedia, is also the main voice image for South East Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

What backlash? A few complaining is not a backlash!!!! Sensationalist tabloid story.

There’s been 300+ comments complaining on Facebook alone, and that’s only the stuff they left up. There’s 200 on this photo and 100 on their current cover photo: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicHitsRadio/photos/a.342535242449270/3763123873723706/?type=3

Then the article mentions they had a video up that got removed, presumably because of all the hate comments

There’s been 300+ comments complaining on Facebook alone, and that’s only the stuff they left up. There’s 200 on this photo and 100 on their current cover photo: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicHitsRadio/photos/a.342535242449270/3763123873723706/?type=3

Then the article mentions they had a video up that got removed, presumably because of all the hate comments

There's a lot of people there who did not know about PJ and Jim leaving until today. What's more worrying is that some have never heard of Radio Nova!

One person said that they always stay with whatever station they have on in the morning and will now switch to Radio Nova to hear PJ and Jim and take comfort in the fact that they won't have to hear Niall Boylan!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The next round of JNLR figures for both stations will certainly be interesting either way. In so far as was the swap a success, or a massive mistake.

Next JNLRs won't tell anything. Will take 3 or 4 at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

There's a lot of people there who did not know about PJ and Jim leaving until today. What's more worrying is that some have never heard of Radio Nova!

To me, Nova is a station where you either listen to it or you forget it exists. It’s so different music-wise to Spin, FM104, TodayFM, etc that anyone who hops between those few doesn’t even think about Nova because they’re catered to.

But for the general public who do listen, I think they appreciate it a lot and would be more dedicated than the average dial hopper!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What would Nova be compared to in the UK...X? CH is like Smooth?

Have never listened to Nova but knew about it, will listen just for the lads at breakfast and probably switch back (or i listen to Heart or Smooth on a google smart screen).

It's funny that during a the week and even this morning they had stopped telling people to follow them to Nova, I assume they were told to stop.

What would Nova be compared to in the UK...X? CH is like Smooth?

Have never listened to Nova but knew about it, will listen just for the lads at breakfast and probably switch back (or i listen to Heart or Smooth on a google smart screen).

It's funny that during a the week and even this morning they had stopped telling people to follow them to Nova, I assume they were told to stop.

I heard Jim mention it a few times In the last hour this morning, i.e. getting the Nova App.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Swapping 2 of the stations best presenters in PJ & Jim, for Colm & Lucy. I think they've badly read the room with this swap.

Nova is their priority, not Classic Hits.

Enda Murphy on breakfast from Monday (until 1/4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Enda Murphy on breakfast from Monday (until 1/4)

And then after Breakfast he's on Sunshine Radio from 10am until 2pm (voicetracked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I also understand that Enda Murphy is expected to resume "Classic Love Songs with Enda Murphy" 08:00-11:00am on Sunday mornings following Barry Lang's current stint as relief presenter which I think is X 3 Sundays. I listened to some of Barry Lang's show this morning as it was like as if he had never been off-air since his days on 2FM which he departed back in 1998!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MrSeanWick

To me, Nova is a station where you either listen to it or you forget it exists. It’s so different music-wise to Spin, FM104, TodayFM, etc that anyone who hops between those few doesn’t even think about Nova because they’re catered to.

But for the general public who do listen, I think they appreciate it a lot and would be more dedicated than the average dial hopper!

I agree but like them other stations you mentioned. Nova is getting very repetitive. The playlist needs a good shake up in my opinion. Its a dad rock station for taxi drivers rather than Rock music fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I, personally, am delighted PJ is gone. His voice like nails on a chalkboard. Magic Mike filled in for him one week when he was filming for the young offenders and I have to say it was the most enjoyable week of classic hits - the two of them (Jim and magic mike) were great together and it really sounded like they were making the most of PJ being gone!

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I, personally, am delighted PJ is gone. His voice like nails on a chalkboard. Magic Mike filled in for him one week when he was filming for the young offenders and I have to say it was the most enjoyable week of classic hits - the two of them (Jim and magic mike) were great together and it really sounded like they were making the most of PJ being gone!

I hope you won't be disappointed as Jim & PJ are both being switched as a duo - while Colm Hayes & Lucy Kennedy who had been covering Breakfast on NOVA will start on the same date on Ireland's Classic Hits (formerly 4FM) on 1st April. At the moment Enda Murphy is handling The Breakfast Show on Classic Hits just until Colm & Lucy begin their new show.

Magic Mike seems better behind the mic organising things in my view having heard him filling in for presenters like Niall Boylan on Classic Hits. The humour and light hearted banter from PJ & Jim was the perfect tonic in the mornings on Classic Hits up to last Friday morning. Not sure if I will continue tuning in to Colm & Lucy from start of next month.

I think Classic Hits may lose a lot of listeners particularly outside of Dublin following these changes. If NOVA had been granted a licence to broadcast on FM in other large urban centres like Cork, Limerick, Galway etc; they may not have risked losing listenership to the radio group but online and mobile apps are not always convenient for those in the car and/or on the go where FM reception is still very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dont forget Hayes got rid of PJ from nova fm.....now he's after another PJ.....:pac:
    I feel for the lads....wouldnt it be awful for nova if someone else grabbed the lads....:p

Dont forget Hayes got rid of PJ from nova fm.....now he's after another PJ.....:pac:
    I feel for the lads....wouldnt it be awful for nova if someone else grabbed the lads....:p

I'm not trying to fuel speculation but how about PJ (Gallagher - not Pat James!) and Jim on Today FM in the distant future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I'm not trying to fuel speculation but how about PJ (Gallagher - not Pat James!) and Jim on Today FM in the distant future?

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

I'll get more fuel....and matches..........:P

Funnily enough, I tuned in to The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show albeit for a short period only this morning. I've not listened to the show for quite some time but I'm so fed up of RTÉ & Radio 1 because of their obsession with everything COVID over the past 12 months. NewsTalk Breakfast, Lunchtime and Drivetime no longer does it for me either after several years tuning in.

I found PJ & Jim a huge relief at breakfast time on Classic Hits up to recently. The segment of the Today FM Breakfast Show that I heard seemed stale, predictable but it felt almost like Ian going thru the motions which is a shame for listeners. Ian was great on 2FM and for many years on Today FM too but it did not entice me back and it lacked the pace, energy and enthusiasm of past years. Perhaps the pandemic is negatively impacting the breakfast crew or else changes are coming with new ownership at the station's parent group? Why would you bother to give it 110% if your future is uncertain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

I heard a promo for Lucy and the other lad yesterday. They sound zero craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I heard a promo for Lucy and the other lad yesterday. They sound zero craic

That they are.

Kamili wrote: »
    That they are.

The ad promo does not even "tease the listener" about what's great about the new format coming shortly to Classic Hits in the mornings! The whole thing is a bit bizarre.

Stolen from the Nova thread but will post here anyway.

You can listen to PJ and Jim when they move to Nova on the CH app. Hit the 3 bars at the top left hand corner and change station....that's what I'll be doing as don't intend listening to Nova outside breakfast.

Easy to ask for Nova on a smart speaker too (for the kitchen in the morning).

The ad promo does not even "tease the listener" about what's great about the new format coming shortly to Classic Hits in the mornings! The whole thing is a bit bizarre.

Just imagine Benny Hill chasing Chubby Brown around a tree with Loosey Kennedy tied to it....every morning ,day in day out.....fart jokes, kids,kids farthing, poo jokes, kids pooing...are you getting the idea yet....if you're 10 you MIGHT enjoy it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

I wonder do Lucy and colm realise what they are up against moving to CH. For the majority of ppl seemed to really enjoy PJ and Jim.

Not only will they lose the CH listeners who like PJJ but the old nova listeners will probably tune in also.....

But then again it will boost the nova ratings, which is probably the intention, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Not only will they lose the CH listeners who like PJJ but the old nova listeners will probably tune in also.....

But then again it will boost the nova ratings, which is probably the intention, ....
    It does smack of sacrificing Classic Hits to save Nova alright.

The whole thing stinks of bad management...Nova started off well but got stale very quickly.....too many egos and the listeners suffered as a result...over the years with all the good dj's being replaced by mediocre presenters it just got to the point of being a joke....I fear for CH under this management....and the loyal listeners...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The whole thing stinks of bad management...Nova started off well but got stale very quickly.....too many egos and the listeners suffered as a result...over the years with all the good dj's being replaced by mediocre presenters it just got to the point of being a joke....I fear for CH under this management....and the loyal listeners...

Now maybe it's because I've been listening to it for over 3 years now, but I feel like classic hits has gotten very stale music-wise. It's like that priest DJ who only brought one record to the raffle night. They keep playing the same songs over and over. I understand they are playing classic songs but jeez. Take Tears for Fears for example - they have so many classic songs and yet classic hits only plays "Everybody wants to rule the world" over and over and over to the point I'm going to barf when I hear it.

Advertisement