Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options

Comments

And this morning talking about when she had her baby 'in my tummy'

Any chance she's confessing to cannibalism right in front of our noses?

Missing PJ & Jim in the car in the morning. Have had to turn to listening to CDs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Missing PJ & Jim in the car in the morning. Have had to turn to listening to CDs :(

Open the window and listen to the birds singing......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

There's no doubt that the change from PJ & Jim to Colm & Lucy on Breakfast on Classic Hits seems to be about attracting more by way of a female listener demographic to the station and a key show to do this tends to be in the morning time to start the day, hence The Breakfast Show. I've heard the banter between Colm & Lucy and it seems like Colm is always "giving way" to Lucy which is fine but does nothing for true equality. That said, I think they are both professional broadcasters as I've seen each of them in action doing other individual radio/tv projects over the years but I am just not at all impressed with this show as it's not something I enjoy waking up to early in the morning. I cannot see it growing on me so; I will not be tuning in to Classic Hits early mornings going forward while this show is on the air.

I wonder how PJ & Jim are being received on their new Breakfast Show over on Radio NOVA? Are the NOVA listeners missing Colm & Lucy or thrilled with the arrival of PJ & Jim?

Meanwhile ex-2FM DJ Barry Lang is settling in well on Sat/Sun afternoons and I think he also did the Easter Monday Bank Holiday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

This is what you get when you run a business placing people in positions to satisfy gender equality rather than talent. Colm was brutal when he was with that Jim Jim clown and he's brutal now, as for Kennedy, she peaked on Podge and Rodge. Haven't been able to listen to them for more than 5mins so have given up on 4fm as a result.

The two boys got me listening first thing in the morning and I'd normally have stuck with it most of the day apart from Boylan, but I couldn't listen to these two and I think the majority feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I just heard a promo for that Colm and Lucy show...the eating fish and looking like a 50 year old haddock banter. If that's the best clip they can find to promote the show, I can only imagine just how bad it is.

Cole wrote: »
    I just heard a promo for that Colm and Lucy show...the eating fish and looking like a 50 year old haddock banter. If that's the best clip they can find to promote the show, I can only imagine just how bad it is.

I'm absolutely baffled as to why they think Colm & Lucy are a great fit for breakfast time not just on Classic Hits but anywhere as it's just not a good radio partnership on air. It can often come across as awkward at times when I've tuned in to hear their on-air dialogue. Today I switched over to RTÉ Lyric fm where George Hamilton was filling in for Marty in the Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Today I switched over to RTÉ Lyric fm where George Hamilton was filling in for Marty in the Morning.

I suppose RTE have to start justifying Hamilton's large salary as a Contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Going against the grain here (as someone who only listens to classic hits for the music (and a bit of niall boylan here and there)) I am delighted not to be woken up by PJ Gallagher's WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH voice. In my semi stupored sleepy state I don't hear what Colm and Lucy are saying but at least they have soothing voices.

Get used to that sort of thing...if you ever listened to nova, they pick "funny " parts of their scripted conversations and repeat them every ad break..all day everyday ...Courtenay has one on nova..it's some "listener" from Texas, that's in America you know.etc ..on repeat ...cringe..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Meanwhile ex-2FM DJ Barry Lang is settling in well on Sat/Sun afternoons and I think he also did the Easter Monday Bank Holiday as well.

Barry will become the "Gary Davies" of Classic Hits..big national profile in the 80s/90s, gone totally from radio for 20+ years and returns to BBC Radio 2 with a weekend show and filling on daytime shows whenever Gary can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Barry will become the "Gary Davies" of Classic Hits..big national profile in the 80s/90s, gone totally from radio for 20+ years and returns to BBC Radio 2 with a weekend show and filling on daytime shows whenever Gary can.

Is he not a pilot with Emirates, what happens when they start flying again?

Retired

Get used to that sort of thing...if you ever listened to nova, they pick "funny " parts of their scripted conversations and repeat them every ad break..all day everyday ...Courtenay has one on nova..it's some "listener" from Texas, that's in America you know.etc ..on repeat ...cringe..:rolleyes:

I used to listen to Nova a bit. But I'm a rock music fan, so I stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I don't know what Nova is... Maybe just another "music mix" station with a bit more emphasis on Dad rock??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭its_steve116

You made the right choice Cole.

alzer100 wrote: »
    I don't know what Nova is... Maybe just another "music mix" station with a bit more emphasis on Dad rock??

Nobody knows really....not even nova...at least with CH you know what to expect....I find it easier to listen to when I'm out and about....

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Nobody knows really....not even nova...at least with CH you know what to expect....I find it easier to listen to when I'm out and about....

It's so sad that it's branding itself off the 80s superpirate. They shouldn't be calling themselves Nova as they are anything but "clutter free" IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Mobile disco?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

He was a few months off retirement when they grounded the 380 fleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Tork

If this article in The Sun (yes, I know) is true, he had planned to work as a pilot for two more years.

Barry sounds good. Would love to hear him on Radio 1's Late Date.

Barry sounds good. Would love to hear him on Radio 1's Late Date.

Or; would they ever try Barry Lang's Hotline on Ireland's Classic Hits on Weeknights 7-8pm or 8-9pm - the Hitlist in "The Herald" (AM as opposed to former Evening Herald) Could it work with older audience who wanna hear 80's and 90's but without the repetitive CSI angle. Dusty Rhodes had achieved some success albeit a format version of his former 2FM show on Sunday evenings over a prolonged period. Of course Barry Lang was the original presenter of RTE Radio 2fm's Hotline for a number of years and was followed by the late great Tony Fenton who also made a great impact.

Or; would they ever try Barry Lang's Hotline on Ireland's Classic Hits on Weeknights 7-8pm or 8-9pm - the Hitlist in "The Herald" (AM as opposed to former Evening Herald)

If the internet/You Tube/streaming did not exist, yes great idea - though let's just leave the good things in the past.

Traditional takeover/request shows (without any Hitlists), have been declining over the past 20 years.

2FM have one on a Sunday at 7pm to 9pm.

Here's an interesting article on former Classic Hits 4FM presenter (and one time RTÉ 2FM/Radio 1 presenter), Gareth O'Callaghan who retired from the station due to serious illness.

Gareth O'Callaghan: Life, illness, and my new love for Cork...
    Popular ex-DJ Gareth O’Callaghan tells CHRIS DUNNE about his health battle, his life on Leeside, and his new book

by CHRIS DUNNE
    FRI, 09 APR, 2021 - 08:44

https://www.echolive.ie/cms_media/module_img/4810/2405228_5_articlelarge_Copy_20of_20LC_20gareth_2009_1_.jpg

HE may have received the cruellest of diagnoses — multiple system atrophy (MSA) — three years ago, but popular ex-DJ Gareth O’Callaghan still has a lot of living to do.

“I treasure every day, each day,” says Gareth, 60, who lives in Douglas.

And as his brutally honest book What Matters Now explains, living every day with the best quality of life possible is what matters now to him and his Cork-born wife, Paula.

“People ask me; how long have you got?” says Gareth. “Every individual diagnosed with the condition MSA develop differently, even though the result is the same. In the meantime, I have a lot of living to do."

Full article published in The Echo (Cork) or on EchoLive.ie via web link provided below here:

Source:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/arid-40261496.html

Gareth's new book title: "What Matters Now : A Memoir of Hope and Finding a Way Through the Dark is published by Hachette Books and is in all good bookshops €13.99. Available now

If the internet/You Tube/streaming did not exist, yes great idea - though let's just leave the good things in the past.

Traditional takeover/request shows (without any Hitlists), have been declining over the past 20 years.

2FM have one on a Sunday at 7pm to 9pm.

Ah, I never listen to 2FM nowadays so I would not have known this but thanks for sharing. Of course we cannot ignore modern methods although; some things work in this country while others just do not catch on at all despite their growth popularity overseas.

Take DAB in Ireland which never went beyond trial phase and was recently closed by RTÉ Radio after many years. The listenership figures did not make it a sound investment despite most of the major population centres covered in same trial. FM lives on stronger than ever in Ireland with so much competition. Radio as a medium has often been predicted to be yesteryear's medium but if anything it has bucked the trend despite Online Streaming/Mobile/Tablet etc;

The other thing I would say is that you sometimes don't get involved at something when it's at or close to it's peak. Maybe it's a niche that can grow while starting from a relatively low or modest base. Vinyl records have become fashionable to buy again and is now niche unlike the mass production years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard Lisa Gernon this evening. She is now on evenings from 7pm Monday to Thursday on Classic Hits. It looks like this move happened the same time as Colm and Lucy, as, according to Linkedin, she has been with Classic Hits since this month. Lisa was presenting on Radio Nova until recently.

Looking at the schedule for Classic Hits, it seems that Nikki Hayes is no longer with them. She presents evenings from 8pm Monday to Thursday on Wicklow's East Coast FM - clashing with Lisa!. She has been with East Coast for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saorsat

I heard Lisa Gernon this evening. She is now on evenings from 7pm Monday to Thursday on Classic Hits. It looks like this move happened the same time as Colm and Lucy, as, according to Linkedin, she has been with Classic Hits since this month. Lisa was presenting on Radio Nova until recently.

Looking at the schedule for Classic Hits, it seems that Nikki Hayes is no longer with them. She presents evenings from 8pm Monday to Thursday on Wicklow's East Coast FM - clashing with Lisa!. She has been with East Coast for a while.

Colm gave Nikki the bullet because she slagged him off in the tabloids about 10 years ago saying that he was overpaid and that Jim Jim was the talented one, little did she know he would one day become her boss and get his revenge.

Saorsat wrote: »
    Colm gave Nikki the bullet because she slagged him off in the tabloids about 10 years ago saying that he was overpaid and that Jim Jim was the talented one, little did she know he would one day become her boss and get his revenge.

Pure speculation by you.

I hope you are not the same poster that puts up a couple of dozen posts, closes their account and then starts again with a new name. It's getting a bit tiresome at this stage. Apologies if you are not! :)

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, they have now closed their account!

Advertisement