Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I’m not dirty and no way would I tolerate being scolded for the actions of other Irish people. There is a whiff of anti Irish prejudice of that park attendants statement. I doubt he’d say the same to the English or French.

I'd put money on him saying the same to the English. I'm sorry to say but over the 20 years, the Irish and British have earned a reputation down under of being lazy, grubby, obnoxious drunks. Kiwis and Aussies take looking after their parks and beaches seriously. A lot of British and Irish tourists don't and they get called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's normal, rubbish is only there for a few hours and it's all cleaned up, it's an ongoing thing. Lots of people have jobs doing this, it's not a one off, they do it 24/7 .

Does mammy still tidy your room?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭malinheader

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'd put money on him saying the same to the English. I'm sorry to say but over the 20 years, the Irish and British have earned a reputation down under of being lazy, grubby, obnoxious drunks. Kiwis and Aussies take looking after their parks and beaches seriously. A lot of British and Irish tourists don't and they get called out on it.

And rightly so. I have witnessed tourists from all over the world visiting my area and lifting rubbish en route while visiting beaches and scenic walks, embarrassing is not the word. Even more embarrassing is when they ask you where they could find a bin and you have to inform them that there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

And rightly so. I have witnessed tourists from all over the world visiting my area and lifting rubbish en route while visiting beaches and scenic walks, embarrassing is not the word. Even more embarrassing is when they ask you where they could find a bin and you have to inform them that there isn't one.

I don't know why people need a flippin' bin to avoid littering, just take your **** with you. An awful lot of people seem to think a lack of a bin in an otherwise beautiful area is a licence to litter which it ain't. This bin nonsense is never an excuse. There aren't too many bins in national parks all over the world and people manage to not litter. It's a total red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

coolbeans wrote: »
    his bin nonsense is never an excuse.

Absolutely. If you're bringing items full of food and drink, why can't you take away the empties? Not that it should make a difference, but they're even lighter than when you were bringing them with you.

What really confuses me is the people who go to the trouble of picking up their dog's shít in plastic bags, and then hang them on a tree. You've done all the hard work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

St Anne's park and the seafront from Clontarf onwards were rammed with people drinking this eve, it'll be rubbishmageddon tomorrow ffs.
    I really think this sh*t should be headline news for a while until people get their sh*t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

3 days of electric picnic scenes in Fairview park (Dublin) over the weekend. Not a cop car to be found. Place was a dump Saturday and Sunday. I was in there this morning with the dog and two women doing a huge clean up job. Had the DCC blue bags and pincher arm things (what is the correct term?). They covered the whole park from Tolka down to westwood. All the lazy scum hungover this morning have no idea, nor do they care how the park gets cleaned after their piss up. Once it's ready for them for the next 11 degree Celsius day that's all that matters.
    Walking the dog last night. Young lad on his way to the outdoor rave on Osssary rd sculling his can. Just f#cks it on the road and keeps walking. He could see I wasn't happy and gave me a nice aggressive "You alright mate"? Little scumbag couldn't have been older than 16.
    That's what we are dealing with. We are scum people. Have no regard for public nature or public areas. Always someone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Alicano wrote: »
    3 days of electric picnic scenes in Fairview park (Dublin) over the weekend. Not a cop car to be found. Place was a dump Saturday and Sunday. I was in there this morning with the dog and two women doing a huge clean up job. Had the DCC blue bags and pincher arm things (what is the correct term?). They covered the whole park from Tolka down to westwood. All the lazy scum hungover this morning have no idea, nor do they care how the park gets cleaned after their piss up. Once it's ready for them for the next 11 degree Celsius day that's all that matters.
    Walking the dog last night. Young lad on his way to the outdoor rave on Osssary rd sculling his can. Just f#cks it on the road and keeps walking. He could see I wasn't happy and gave me a nice aggressive "You alright mate"? Little scumbag couldn't have been older than 16.
    That's what we are dealing with. We are scum people. Have no regard for public nature or public areas. Always someone else's problem.

It's not just kids out drinking.

You see people with kids throwing rubbish (usually those dreadful coffee cups) beside a full bin. "Shure it'll be grand". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Noticed my neighbours green bin this morning (while waiting to be collected) had 2-3 bags of dog poo added.
    While at least the owner cleaned up after their dog, they completely mitigated the good by what they subsequently did.
    Bushy Park was in good shape this morning but maybe it was cleaned before we got there as it is generally like a tip.
    Re the 16 year old, I bet if there was a refund for that can he'd have had a different mindset.

Noticed my neighbours green bin this morning (while waiting to be collected) had 2-3 bags of dog poo added.
    While at least the owner cleaned up after their dog, they completely mitigated the good by what they subsequently did.
    Bushy Park was in good shape this morning but maybe it was cleaned before we got there as it is generally like a tip.
    Re the 16 year old, I bet if there was a refund for that can he'd have had a different mindset.

How did you “notice” what was in your neighbours green bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Alicano wrote: »

Was there Sunday and the Guards cleared a group playing football off the pitch. They did nothing about some very large groups 15+ sitting on the grass.

Your point is valid though, they left the place in a tip. People are filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It's normal, rubbish is only there for a few hours and it's all cleaned up, it's an ongoing thing. Lots of people have jobs doing this, it's not a one off, they do it 24/7 .

That is an absolutely disgusting attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Woke up to see my neighbours actually fighting outside over the rubbish today. One of them started arguing saying it was the councils responsibility to clean up and the other said he was sick of looking at it then they started fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Yeah i'd really like to see us at least trial some automated can/bottle recycling kiosk. Pop your stuff in. Get your receipt to take to a newsagent or something for your cash. What is stopping us trying that? Must be something I can't think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I would have been raging at that, I’m not responsible for what any other Irish person does.

Enough of us are so bad that we have a reputation on the other side of the world. It's embarrassing as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Woke up to see my neighbours actually fighting outside over the rubbish today. One of them started arguing saying it was the councils responsibility to clean up and the other said he was sick of looking at it then they started fighting.

Pride of place. We all have a social responsibility to keep the place tidy. I know which neighbour I would side with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

PCeeeee wrote: »
    That is an absolutely disgusting attitude.

Amazing how many people think like this, who are usually civic minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I am convinced though that if everybody had to pay for bins to be picked up as part of property tax, the incentive to leave your rubbish in the park is gone. Many people are decent and would bring it home if it wasn't costing them to do so.
    In addition, you can provide lots more bins because the incentive to deliver your household rubbish to the local street bin is gone. In addition, the bin collection service can be properly funded, rather than having a hodge podge approach where local councils spend 90m per county on cleaning up fly tipping. That's probably 250-300 quid per annum for every man/woman/child in Wexford and I would imagine the same is the case in every other county.
    That to me is good money after bad.

Bolded bit is as lame an excuse as you could get. It boils down to personal responsibility for your own rubbish not excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Its horrible to see parks and public areas be abused. I already pay property tax, I already pay for my own bins to be collected and always bring my rubbish home with me or find a bin. Not because Im paying for it but because its the right thing to do. As far as Im concerned leaving my rubbish behind me isn't an option. So how do you change the attitudes of people?

We can blame young kids and yes they have their part to pay but they aren't driving to parks and beaches. Its adults who should know better. I do think we have a lack of bins. Would having large bins at every car park with lots of signs saying please leave your rubbish here make a difference? Worth a try.

Bins aren't really the issue.

If bins are there they will fill up and people will dump their rubbish beside it for the wind/ birds / drunks to scatter all over the place.

Can't see what the problem is with taking rubbish home with you.

How much stuff do people need to enjoy a beach/ park anyway...

• Advertisement

There's a serious lack of respect for nature and the area they're visiting by plenty of people. The irony is they're visiting a place of natural beauty because it's beautiful and then take a hand in damaging it by leaving their rubbish behind. The worst is parents passing on that behaviour to their kids. Ignorant gobsh!tes.

Biker79 wrote:
    Bins aren't really the issue.

Exactly. Just be responsible and take your rubbish with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm an avid beach and park user and follow the old surfer rule, leave nothing but footprints like most of the people posting on this thread.

There's a huge amount of people that have been reintroduced to our amazing outdoor amenities that previously didn't know they existed. The people that used to spend their weekends in pubs, shopping centres, entertainment centres, cinemas, bookies, fast food outlets and hotels that are all closed now. The all day session types. They're used to having their rubbish cleaned up after them and a lot of them are simply leaving rubbish behind with the assumption that it will be cleaned up after them.

My house overlooks such an amenity and I can actually see people outside their car scanning left and right for a bin (there's one 50 metres away from them), once there isn't one in sight, they simply leave their rubbish beside their car and head off.

I'm mindful that most littering is traditionally from locals, but in this case it isn't. They certainly live in Dublin but they're not the traditional beach and park users pre-covid.

My green bin is full five minutes after collection from clearing up after this pack of mouth breathers. The sooner we're all vaccinated and this lot head back to their artificial, air conditioned hellholes the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Amazing amounts of crap to be seen on all road sides during my cycle outings here in Galway. Fly tipping is by an older cohort but the most visible litter is from young people, energy drinks, fast food, ect. Most of the litter is recyclable which is more depressing. I walk from my estate to Silver Strand and the only bin on this 1.5 mile walk is at the Strand. My walk involves a determined effort to avoid dog ****..animal lovers indeed !!

Fast food takeaways need a packaging tax big time..surely time for every property to have mandatory subscription to a waste removal contract..made payable through the ESB or electricity supplier bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I don't think more bins will really help. The bins we do have end up overflowing anyway. It's a mentality thing. I guess the people who litter don't respect the places that they litter. I'd say respect is at an all time low in this country at the moment so it is a long road to solving the litter problem.

With the lockdown easing next week and good weather coming in....its going to be a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

It didn't take long for the skangers to find the relatively new Fernhill Park near Stepaside. Blaring music and drinking with their camping chairs while pissing in the middle of the open area.
    Forested area with a stream where you usually see kids playing now used as a makeshift toilet too.

From a volunteer who is heavily involved in clean up groups the only way is bottle return schemes and waste reduction bills. Most rubbish left in parks / beaches now is from gangs partying and gathering. It’s been happening for years now and not changing. I do not believe that all young people are going out of their way to wreck the place, most are just too wasted by the end of the night to take their stuff with them. Bottle return scheme will see this type of waste vanish as it will have value. Waste reduction bills / bans on single use plastics can target the other types of waste such as crisps / sweet packets etc. This generation have grown up surrounded by plastic and give it no value as it has no value. If we get the finger out and sort out the plastic pollution epidemic the next generation might change for the better !

Personally from a volunteer who is heavily involved in clean up groups the only way is bottle return schemes and waste reduction bills. Most rubbish left in parks / beaches is from gangs partying. It’s been happening for years now and not changing. I don’t believe these young people are going out of their way to wreck the place, most are just too wasted by the end of the night to take their stuff with them. Bottle return scheme will see this type of waste vanish as it will have value. Waste reduction bills / bans on single use plastics can target the other types of waste. This generation have grown up surrounded by plastic and give it no value, the next might if we do things right !

I disagree with that totally. Do you think a couple of cent for a bottle return is incentive enough for the type of person that would leave rubbish behind to bring it with them? I seriously doubt that. You won't create a system to steer these types of people in the right direction. They don't care.

• Advertisement

I disagree with that totally. Do you think a couple of cent for a bottle return is incentive enough for the type of person that would leave rubbish behind to bring it with them? I seriously doubt that. You won't create a system to steer these types of people in the right direction. They don't care.

Others will collect it as it has a value look at the USA as an example. If someone is going to litter there is very little you can do to convince them not to. Try going up to a group of teens and telling them not to litter. You’ll be laughed at. We have so much education and information at the moment and it’s clearly not working. Fines / enforcement do not exist in Ireland for littering so forget that approach. Gardai / councils don’t want to know ! It will take a generation to get rid of the attitude that my plastic bottle is worthless so I’ll just throw it away mentality. Leave no trace policies will also eventually help, but it’s sad to say that Ireland is still years off that way of thinking ! Waste reductions and return schemes are our only immediate options.

Advertisement