Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Scumbag parents raise scumbag kids because there are no consequences.
    My teenagers know that I would freak out if I found out that they had littered - and they know that there would be consequences.

Unbelievable really and from all economic backgrounds also. Just shows money can't buy class. Seems to be a particular problem in well off areas tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sending out council workers to pick up everything from black bags, dumped furniture and appliances is probably just as expensive.

Some form of public awareness is badly wanting for those that can be shamed and real consequences for those who cannot.

Here’s an idea.

Just leave the parks and other areas that are trashed as they are for a couple of weeks after.

Let people go nuts about it and it might start to sink in about their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It looks like England has the same problem with scruffy fxckers aswell

https://twitter.com/E_Beardmore/status/1377140682490474496?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 35,678 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's normal, rubbish is only there for a few hours and it's all cleaned up, it's an ongoing thing. Lots of people have jobs doing this, it's not a one off, they do it 24/7 .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Here’s an idea.

Just leave the parks and other areas that are trashed as they are for a couple of weeks after.

Let people go nuts about it and it might start to sink in about their behaviour.

It doesn't work. The nicer areas have nice people who will clean up the public areas. Other places have parks that look like tip heads and accumulate more and more rubbish. Have a wander in Darndale park if you're ever up that way. It is a prime example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It doesn't work. The nicer areas have nice people who will clean up the public areas. Other places have parks that look like tip heads and accumulate more and more rubbish. Have a wander in Darndale park if you're ever up that way. It is a prime example.

I'll take your word for it. That's one part of town I'm terrified of my car breaking down in, not to mind going for a wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

It's normal, rubbish is only there for a few hours and it's all cleaned up, it's an ongoing thing. Lots of people have jobs doing this, it's not a one off, they do it 24/7 .

And that makes it alright? I loved the Australian attitude. We were getting a map of the Noosa Everglades and the man giving it to us said "if you bring it in to this park, you bring it back out with you".

A friend of mine was told going in to Kakadu "you leave no rubbish in this park, we've had problems with your countrymen before in this regard".

If only we could have that level of civic pride and realise our rubbish is not somebody else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Here they are saying it's the pandemic's fault, it's the good weather's fault, it's the infrastructure's fault. No...it's the scumbags' fault.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/its-about-personal-responsibility-increase-in-dublin-littering-linked-to-pandemic-and-good-weather/ar-BB1fecqu?li=BBr5HCU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

This is what the green party should be tackling at the moment. This is a massive problem throughout the whole country cities and rural.
    No point having to wade through dirty streets, parks and beaches to shout about omissions, turf cutting and car sharing etc. When we can't solve an issue that is affecting
    a lot more people and hasn't been given a serious thought.
    If they can't come up with a solution for this not much hope with the rest.
    As I have said time to target the businesses who churn out totally ott packaging as well as the litter louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Like many things it just comes down to money at the end of the day. You need to hit people where it hurts. It costs 15euro to bring an entire car full of rubbish to Ballymount amenity, but they'd rather drive up the Dublin mountains and dump their rubbish there. I've seen bathroom suites, mattresses etc all dumped. For the sake of fifteen euro. Maddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This is what the green party should be tackling at the moment. This is a massive problem throughout the whole country cities and rural.
    No point having to wade through dirty streets, parks and beaches to shout about omissions, turf cutting and car sharing etc. When we can't solve an issue that is affecting
    a lot more people and hasn't been given a serious thought.
    If they can't come up with a solution for this not much hope with the rest.
    As I have said time to target the businesses who churn out totally ott packaging as well as the litter louts.

On a sunny day in Clontarf there will often be Beshoff packaging and wrapping littered along the seafront, however sometimes this is because sea gulls take the packaging out of bins that are left out by Dublin City Council that aren't fit for purpose (they are like big oil drums with no lids on). I can't stand litter but do think it would be unfair on this business to be fined because the bins aren't adequate. And if they are paying rates to the Council then a contribution has been made by them.

It seems like a catch 22 though, if the council put out more bins then some individuals might start using them to dispose of household waste rather than pay bin charges.

I like the earlier suggestion of incorporating waste charges into local property tax and then people may not go out of their way to dump rubbish in ditches, public bins etc as they have a paid for option sitting outside their house. I think my bin charges are €20 a month which is great value for a weekly collection that is far more convenient than filling the car with rubbish to dispose of up the Dublin mountains.

In St Anne's this morning I saw a pile of empty cans and bottles left beside a bin from last night's drinking. The bin was full but at least those people left the area as tidy as possible (obviously they could have brought the rubbish home or to the next bin) but it was a lot better than the same field I saw on Tuesday morning which resembled the UK video linked a few posts above.

More bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

On a sunny day in Clontarf there will often be Beshoff packaging and wrapping littered along the seafront, however sometimes this is because sea gulls take the packaging out of bins that are left out by Dublin City Council that aren't fit for purpose (they are like big oil drums with no lids on). I can't stand litter but do think it would be unfair on this business to be fined because the bins aren't adequate. And if they are paying rates to the Council then a contribution has been made by them.

It seems like a catch 22 though, if the council put out more bins then some individuals might start using them to dispose of household waste rather than pay bin charges.

I like the earlier suggestion of incorporating waste charges into local property tax and then people may not go out of their way to dump rubbish in ditches, public bins etc as they have a paid for option sitting outside their house. I think my bin charges are €20 a month which is great value for a weekly collection that is far more convenient than filling the car with rubbish to dispose of up the Dublin mountains.

In St Anne's this morning I saw a pile of empty cans and bottles left beside a bin from last night's drinking. The bin was full but at least those people left the area as tidy as possible (obviously they could have brought the rubbish home or to the next bin) but it was a lot better than the same field I saw on Tuesday morning which resembled the UK video linked a few posts above.

More bins!

I agree not always can you blame the source of rubbish for turning up as you say as a result of gulls,but the amount of packaging is ludicrous. If they were penalized for the Amount of waste they generate would be a sensible thing to do and it would also lead to less rubbish being discarded.
    The only reason for the amount of boxes and wrappers is to attract and advertise.
    As I have said go to the drive through in McDonald's and get two big mac meals. Afterwards your rubbish will hardly fit through the gap of the bin outside. Totally no need for half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes the promenade in Clontarf can get bad, what I hate most about it is that most of it probably ends up in the sea eventually. I wish we had some kind of litter wardens for popular sites that could hand out fines and direct them to take their rubbish home, although I'd rather it was the remit of the Garda as people might take them seriously and they'd be able to approach anti social groups.

A friend of mine was told going in to Kakadu "you leave no rubbish in this park, we've had problems with your countrymen before in this regard".

I would have been raging at that, I’m not responsible for what any other Irish person does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Very scummy attitude shared by many of our countrymen and women. Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I would have been raging at that, I’m not responsible for what any other Irish person does.

I'd save the indignation and realise that they just want their parks kept pristine. We're particularly dirty, well some of us are, and that reputation precedes us where we're all tarred with the same brush. I wouldn't be getting all high and mighty like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

More bins!

I disagree.... you will never have enough bins to solve a problem where people don't understand the issue or don't give a damn. I you bring it... you take it home, then full bins or no bins can't be used as an excuse.

coolbeans wrote: »
    I'd save the indignation and realise that they just want their parks kept pristine. We're particularly dirty, well some of us are, and that reputation precedes us where we're all tarred with the same brush. I wouldn't be getting all high and mighty like.

I’m not dirty and no way would I tolerate being scolded for the actions of other Irish people. There is a whiff of anti Irish prejudice of that park attendants statement. I doubt he’d say the same to the English or French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

I wonder would the way to go would be to fine the likes of McDonald's and KFC etc

No.
    The solution would be for a vigilante group to kneecap anybody caught littering. It’s an anti-social activity. It was done to joyriders & drug dealers in the past; no reason why people can’t do it again and sort out the litter louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Along with the rubbish left behind im amazed by the amount of full cans and bottles,
    Im going to start bring a bag and pick them up.
    Free beer, thank you to the light weight scum bags.

• Advertisement

Probably mentioned before but some of the mess left behind in the English parts was crazy too.

I am convinced though that if everybody had to pay for bins to be picked up as part of property tax, the incentive to leave your rubbish in the park is gone. Many people are decent and would bring it home if it wasn't costing them to do so.
    In addition, you can provide lots more bins because the incentive to deliver your household rubbish to the local street bin is gone. In addition, the bin collection service can be properly funded, rather than having a hodge podge approach where local councils spend 90m per county on cleaning up fly tipping. That's probably 250-300 quid per annum for every man/woman/child in Wexford and I would imagine the same is the case in every other county.
    That to me is good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm saying this as an Irish person, an awful lot of Irish people are scummy, dirty fcuks who couldn't give a fcuk about our environment.

I'm well away from parks and beaches in a rural country area and sh1t is regularly dumped along my road, from matresses to tv's and household rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1) They don’t give a shît...

And

2) There is zero deterrent...

Too..There is obviously a lack of parenting that influences this behavior.. probably at home their dîckhead parents wouldn’t dream of instilling the virtue of being a civil minded young adult, yes young adult, not children so there is no excuse... but 2021, where parenting is grossly unfashionable...as is taking responsibility for yourself...

Back home growing up we all took our turns doing washing up, setting the table, etc taking the bins out, even hoovering out the car.....cleaning up after yourself was basic, now ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Along with the rubbish left behind im amazed by the amount of full cans and bottles,
    Im going to start bring a bag and pick them up.
    Free beer, thank you to the light weight scum bags.

It is usually the cheapest crap in the shop ime. Tesco brand beer? No thanks.

I would also add - I remember when I have left the cinema / fast food restaurant etc, the amount of people who leave their stuff behind, rather than bringing it over/out to the bin, is unreal.
    That is where lessons start, i.e. you aren't at home now - clean up after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is usually the cheapest crap in the shop ime. Tesco brand beer? No thanks.

No yellow pack. Heineken. Bulmers I will draw the line at Bud, caus thats piss

• Registered Users Posts: 85,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

You should take a walk in our glorious countryside. The amount of discarded coffee cups and drinks cans and bottles is staggering.

I'm sick of seeing the disposable blue masks on the ground, disgraceful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Here’s an idea.

That never works.

Crap attracts more crap.

Advertisement