Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Just wondering is there any kind of lesson being taught in schools to kids at a young age about social responsibility regarding rubbish, recycling, hygiene environmental issues etc.

I dont think its fair to pass the responsibly to schools.
    However most schools that I know of have green school policies where there is a huge emphasis on recycling and the impact on the environment.

I do think alot of kids at some stage will throw away a wrapper and not think twice about it, lack of maturity and zero care factor is something most thankfully grow out of.

People (adults) dont not pick up their rubbish because they dont know better they simply dont care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A dirty batsurd is exactly this and 99% of them wouldn't bother there ass to use a bin even if provided.
    Prosecutions by hitting them in the pocket would be more a thing councils could do.
    I understand in alot of cases they cannot be everywhere but there doesn't seem to be many prosecutions taking place.

Fines are a waste of time in this country. There is no actual consequence to not paying them and that is assuming the warden can actually issue the fine in the first place and is not just told to f off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

given it's such a problem in Ireland I really don't know why there aren't billboards and ads on TV about littering, or if there are I haven't seen any.
    They have them on UTV but I've never seen any on RTE, probably no room left for them when they are showing their cringeworthy Ministry of Truth ad non stop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Fines are a waste of time in this country. There is no actual consequence to not paying them and that is assuming the warden can actually issue the fine in the first place and is not just told to f off

Well if schools can't get the message through and fines and penalties don't work there doesn't seem to be hope for our rivers, parks and beauty spots in the future. More work for the community clean up squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I can't for the life of me understand why it isn't compulsory for the roving gangs of council workers in vans and pick ups who spend their days avoiding work to stop and pick up any litter they see, you would think they'd be told on their first day that if they see any litter to stop and pick it up, but no they'll drive out over it and past it and stand around a hole for the day enjoying the sun

• Advertisement

I can't for the life of me understand why it isn't compulsory for the roving gangs of council workers in vans and pick ups who spend their days avoiding work to stop and pick up any litter they see, you would think they'd be told on their first day that if they see any litter to stop and pick it up, but no they'll drive out over it and past it and stand around a hole for the day enjoying the sun

We would be very rural area, so not very often do council have men or women in the area.
    We have community clean ups and a good few members of the community would take a bag with them when out walking with the kids or the dog.
    So does this make littering okay as long as there are people in the community willing to lift it.

We would be very rural area, so not very often do council have men or women in the area.
    We have community clean ups and a good few members of the community would take a bag with them when out walking with the kids or the dog.
    So does this make littering okay as long as there are people in the community willing to lift it.

Same here, we just had a massive community clean up just here, its something that shouldn't have to be done but necessary nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

Did you get this idea from an episode of The Simpsons?

The disgusting pigs that throw their rubbish whereever they want will have an other excuse to trash the place.

SteM wrote: »
    Did you get this idea from an episode of The Simpsons?

The disgusting pigs that throw their rubbish whereever they want will have an other excuse to trash the place.

They're doing it anyway, they don't need an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Same here, we just had a massive community clean up just here, its something that shouldn't have to be done but necessary nonetheless

Same! It's just unbelievable how scummy some people can be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That time of year again! Went for a jog in St Anne's park this morning and there was rubbish all over the football pitches.
    Apparently it was a total bomb site around Portobello too. What a lovely country we are.

https://twitter.com/seanmccarthaigh/status/1377035445641560065

Saw a huge group drinking behind the St Anne's astro pitch on Monday evening and of course when I walked the dog Tuesday morning the field was covered in their bottles, cans, pizza boxes etc.

Meant to find this thread last weekend. Was waiting for herself outside the local shop and there were a few lads eating rolls in the car park (one of them was driving so at least 17/18). The car driver put his wrapper into the bin, his mate flung his wrapper under the car. So I called over that he was only a couple of metres from the bin and would he put his rubbish into it. The lad who had used the bin then started having a go at me, telling me to pick it up, that the plastic wrapping is biodegradable, and in general to mind my own business. When I pointed out to him that he had used the bin himself he got confused. End result, the litter remained under the car.

They'll be out marching at Greta Thunberg's next rally no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Disgusting scenes this morning in Deer Park Mount Merrion. Piles of rubbish left around the place, beer cans, wine bottles and pizza boxes from a supposed middle upper class area. Pure scum.

For the rare sunny warm weekends that we do get in this country, there should be more than enough money for councils to pay workers triple time or whatever to make sure the bins are changed in parks and beaches. It must be about 10 weekends a year tops that we are taking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Fines should be directly aimed at a person's income, via their PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This sh*t again. So all these people littering are out on school strikes and marches for the planet or what? Do you really think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

It’s something I’d really like to see tackled in ireland. In the same way you should clean up after a dog, it should be second nature to clean up litter after yourself. This happens elsewhere but it will require proper enforcement here to change attitudes. Fines for littering should become common place wherever it occurs and people will start to reconsider their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'd say this particular point has been noted a million times but what really gets me is the littering of cigarette butts by people that wouldn't normally litter.

It's so strange, I see senior managers in my work do it who would never throw a wrapper on the ground.

Another aspect of this is the manufacturing of packaging. I would like to see disposal coffee and tea cups done away with, take in your own cup and then take it home also back to glass bottles with a return value like in the 80s, just a few examples but a massive problem is the amount of waste packing that could be done without .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

given it's such a problem in Ireland I really don't know why there aren't billboards and ads on TV about littering, or if there are I haven't seen any.

I may have mentioned it previously in this thread but when I grew up in NZ in the 80s and 90s, there was a massive campaign called Be A Tidy Kiwi. In Australia it was called Keep Australia Beautiful. It went on for years and years and is drummed into kids so that now it is passed down the generations.

Ireland needs to do the same because the Irish attitude to litter is ****ing disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

For the rare sunny warm weekends that we do get in this country, there should be more than enough money for councils to pay workers triple time or whatever to make sure the bins are changed in parks and beaches. It must be about 10 weekends a year tops that we are taking about.

Our local beach, myrtleville is left in a shocking condition each warm weekend we have, irrespective of how many volunteers pick up after them,the yobs still litter even as volunteers pick up, nappiest included, disgusting no civic pride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Not just Ireland;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56588196
    scroll to the bottom .

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I may have mentioned it previously in this thread but when I grew up in NZ in the 80s and 90s, there was a massive campaign called Be A Tidy Kiwi. In Australia it was called Keep Australia Beautiful. It went on for years and years and is drummed into kids so that now it is passed down the generations.

Ireland needs to do the same because the Irish attitude to litter is ****ing disgraceful.

Well said

Just wondering is there any kind of lesson being taught in schools to kids at a young age about social responsibility regarding rubbish, recycling, hygiene environmental issues etc.

We had when young ,our parents would eat us if we dropped litter,cheeked older folk, didn't hold a door open - offer a seat to a lady or older person,that seems to be missing a lot now,my youngest 18 does all these things naturally

Yes I spent a couple of years down there, people actually have pride in the land in NZ. Remember that Traveller family that ran amok there a couple of years ago, throwing rubbish around and being disgusting - the locals were actually calling them out on it there because they were so horrified, whereas people would be too afraid here.

Not just Ireland;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56588196
    scroll to the bottom .

yes UK/Ireland are the same when it comes to these kind of social issues

Saw a huge group drinking behind the St Anne's astro pitch on Monday evening and of course when I walked the dog Tuesday morning the field was covered in their bottles, cans, pizza boxes etc.

Meant to find this thread last weekend. Was waiting for herself outside the local shop and there were a few lads eating rolls in the car park (one of them was driving so at least 17/18). The car driver put his wrapper into the bin, his mate flung his wrapper under the car. So I called over that he was only a couple of metres from the bin and would he put his rubbish into it. The lad who had used the bin then started having a go at me, telling me to pick it up, that the plastic wrapping is biodegradable, and in general to mind my own business. When I pointed out to him that he had used the bin himself he got confused. End result, the litter remained under the car.

More of this needs to happen. Call people out for littering. I've actually made a conscious effort to do it more often. Just loudly call out Hey, put your rubbish in the bin! Never approach them but call them out loudly. Public shaming. They look around and see people looking. Sometimes they tell me to **** off and they walk away. Sometimes they tell me to **** off but they are embarrassed enough to pick their litter up. Occasionally they pick the rubbish up and slink away. I encourage more people to call out litter bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This sh*t again. So all these people littering are out on school strikes and marches for the planet or what? Do you really think that?

No not all, not by any means. I see people of all ages throwing litter without a care in the world. However judging by the age of the group I saw in St Anne's on Monday that left the place in an awful state, I'd be shocked if many of them weren't at one of those climate marches, and it's a case of them not practicing what they preach because they just can't be bothered to tidy up after themselves. Climate change only bothers them when it suits.

And as I say its people of all ages, I see all sorts throwing litter away without a care in the world at Dollymount, it's disgusting and shameful.

Yes I spent a couple of years down there, people actually have pride in the land in NZ. Remember that Traveller family that ran amok there a couple of years ago, throwing rubbish around and being disgusting - the locals were actually calling them out on it there because they were so horrified, whereas people would be too afraid here.

I was actually just thinking about that. I was so proud of my homeland for the way they hounded those grubby ****ers out of the country. And it all started when they left a load of rubbish on Takapuna beach (my hometown) and the locals called them out and one of them filmed the reaction. The whole country turned on them.

Come on Ireland, let's do the same. Call people out, film them and post it on social media. Shame the grubs into cleaning up after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Many attractions and lookouts in aus and nz have things like an info board, bins and maybe toilets and maybe coin operated bbqs and benches.

Always found then immaculate, the animals that live here would have them vandalised, trashed and littered in jig time.
    Here they don't give a sh1t and think it's up to others to pick up after them. We can't even have public toilets because these idiots wreck them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

correct unfortunately.
    they should be banned from owning future pets.

Good luck with that. They aren't bothered licensing them, let alone having them microchipped. And as for the 'supply' side it's like the Wild West with theft, smuggling and dodgy mom and pop breeders.

Advertisement