Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options
1325326327328329331»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nope, at that stage we'll be awash in vaccines! I reckon it'll become more like the flu' jab programme.

This is the thing. I think this is a once off issue. And at this stage we don't even know if we need to roll out another round of vaccines next year. So far, those that were vaccinated in stage 1 of the vaccine trials early last year are still immune, so lets see how long it lasts.

In practical terms, teachers wouldn't have been vaccinated until the summer anyway. I understand that teachers are annoyed as it is the principle of the thing and symptomatic of the way they have been left to get on with it without any real investment in their protection. But the reality of it is that they would never have received a vaccine before the end of summer term, so they are no more at risk today than they were yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Because losing a parent has more of an effect on a kid than losing 6 weeks of education.

Absolutely. But that's not what I have been hearing from parents or media commentators over the past few months. Quite the opposite in fact - they had no concern for anything other than their children's classroom attendance so long as the elderly were protected, and in many cases even that was not important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You have great confidence in our vaccine programme. I think it's likely we will be well into a new school year and indeed a new calendar year by the time most education staff are vaccinated, let alone the summer! If I had your faith I would fully understand this change to roll out, but as it stands I'm really surprised by it and by how supportive parents are being of it.
    I believe the system can do what they have targeted. What is still unknown is whether we'll actually have the vaccines to do it. I'm hopeful if a little less optimistic on that front for now, based off the last months. They are putting 90%+ of shots into arms as we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Absolutely. But that's not what I have been hearing from parents or media commentators over the past few months. Quite the opposite in fact - they had no concern for anything other than their children's classroom attendance so long as the elderly were protected, and in many cases even that was not important to them.

Lazy teachers, remote T&L, get back to work, yada yada was the message.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement