Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Comments

I refuse to spend on cent on school. If it isn't there then we do without.

Yeah it's something that is going to stop. Norma put paid to any good will I had left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Agreed, no one working in a school would believe that they would spend this type of money. We don't even always have whiteboard markers. We have one of the worst funded education systems in the OECD, even if the money was there I'd be furious if it was spent on this when the long term resources needed to deal with this situation will be left without.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

aigne wrote:
    Again, we hear time and time again about the benefits of in person education, I cant understand the lack of willingness to put in the measures to keep them open ?

This.
    The shouts for in person teaching being pivotal but there's absolutely no interest in making these settings safer for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Discussion onPat Kenny at the moment about schools. I only just turned it on so not sure of context but the reluctance to introduce additional safety measures such as testing is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭combat14

Discussion onPat Kenny at the moment about schools. I only just turned it on so not sure of context but the reluctance to introduce additional safety measures such as testing is being discussed.

exactly whats the point of sending kids in for 6 weeks of school when no extra safety meAsures introduced surrounding the new variant of the virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

combat14 wrote: »
    exactly whats the point of sending kids in for 6 weeks of school when no extra safety meAsures introduced surrounding the new variant of the virus

Babysitting and childminding. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thats a huge insult to all teachers to belittle them that they are just babysitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Deeec wrote: »
    Thats a huge insult to all teachers to belittle them that they are just babysitters.

What happens if if is considered to be partially true?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

It is a huge insult to teachers but lets face it to be honest there are an awful lot of people who give the impression that that's what they think teachers are....it's terrible to see the amount of insults thrown at teachers....

It is a huge insult to teachers but lets face it to be honest there are an awful lot of people who give the impression that that's what they think teachers are....it's terrible to see the amount of insults thrown at teachers....

People do not see teachers as babysitters - they see them as educators.
    Education of my children is so important to me and to most parents.

The argument that 'parents only view teachers as babysitters' is so boring at this stage and very untrue. Most parents value the teaching profession highly - some dont but the majority do. This argument constantly being raised by certain teachers is childish.

• Advertisement

The argument that 'parents only view teachers as babysitters' is so boring at this stage and very untrue. Most parents value the teaching profession highly - some dont but the majority do. This argument constantly being raised by certain teachers is childish.

So who are these "certain teachers" that are constantly raising it?

I have said constantly on here that I'm a mother of two secondary school teachers ...yet I am realistic and unfortunately some people (not the majority in any way at all) don't value the teaching profession highly at all...it's not an arguement at all ...it's a fact....

I have said constantly on here that I'm a mother of two secondary school teachers ...yet I am realistic and unfortunately some people (not the majority in any way at all) don't value the teaching profession highly at all...it's not an arguement at all ...it's a fact....

Penny when you sent your children to school every day did you see it as a babysitting service to give you a break. Im pretty sure you didnt like every other good parent. I dont see any disrespect of teachers from people I know - it is a very small minority. It is a weak argument saying 'teachers are only seen as babysitters'.

There are many professions out there that are not respected. I work as an accountant. I also feel my profession is disrespected and sometimes we are seen as evil and unfair when we make decisions or calculate a tax liability - even though it is done in the interest of fairness and future planning. We cant win no matter what we do. Its fair to say most people hate their accountants!

So who are these "certain teachers" that are constantly raising it?

Look back over the thread. Plenty of references. These comments were not posted by parents. One was posted only this morning.

Penny when you sent your children to school every day did you see it as a babysitting service to give you a break. Im pretty sure you didnt like every other good parent. I dont see any disrespect of teachers from people I know - it is a very small minority. It is a weak argument saying 'teachers are only seen as babysitters'.

There are many professions out there that are not respected. I work as an accountant. I also feel my profession is disrespected and sometimes we are seen as evil and unfair when we make decisions or calculate a tax liability - even though it is done in the interest of fairness and future planning. We cant win no matter what we do. Its fair to say most people hate their accountants!

Ofcourse, I didn't see school as a babysitting service...I actually didn't bring up any argument about teachers been seen only as babystitters"... I agree though with whoever posted that ...there are some people who use school purely as a babysiting service....
    Regarding your profession ... I don't see the comparison you are bringing up..ie babysitting service/accountants/teachers

Look back over the thread. Plenty of references. These comments were not posted by parents. One was posted only this morning.

Is that poster a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Honestly maybe you should have discouraged your kids more fom becoming teachers it's clear it's you you think people don't value it high enough. I work ) while my kids are at school does that mean see teachers as 'babysitters' no it bloody doesnt. Teachers with kids do they see other teachers as babysitters no they don't. You are so condescending on here.

DSN wrote: »
    Honestly maybe you should have discouraged your kids more fom becoming teachers it's clear it's you you think people don't value it high enough. I work ) while my kids are at school does that mean see teachers as 'babysitters' no it bloody doesnt. Teachers with kids do they see other teachers as babysitters no they don't. You are so condescending on here.

I don't have that opinion at all...maybe if you read back to what I was originally replying to.....you are taking out of context what i have replied to...sorry...

Ofcourse, I didn't see school as a babysitting service...I actually didn't bring up any argument about teachers been seen only as babystitters"... I agree though with whoever posted that ...there are some people who use school purely as a babysiting service....
    Regarding your profession ... I don't see the comparison you are bringing up..ie babysitting service/accountants/teachers

:confused: Penny Im giving up on you. You dont seem to grasp anyone elses point of view at all or the points they are making.

All you want is for your two adult children to be back at home with you in Leitrim and not teaching in Dublin. We get it with your constant negative posts and digs at parents.;)

Im leaving this thread and wont be posting here again. Fed up of with the nonsense that is posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I'm not going to lie, opening schools is crucial for the economy's productivity.

But I'm not sure where the six weeks comes from? My senior infanter will be back for 17 weeks when they break up for summer. And my third classer will be back for 14 weeks. Are you just referring to 1st to 4th years?

And you can't completely ignore the fact that open schools have a hugely positive effect on children's mental health, physical health and the quality of education provided to them. Even if it is only for the seven weeks for 1-4th years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think schools will resume come the 12th
    Keeping a cohort of kids at home for 9months would be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Seconary school students will be back for 6 weeks, I don't think they fall into the age group that requires babysitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

C__MC wrote: »
    I think schools will resume come the 12th
    Keeping a cohort of kids at home for 9months would be catastrophic

9 months? what kids are out 9 months?

Looks like schools are back and summer on the verge of being cancelled:

Easing lockdown now could result in new wave of Covid cases lasting until mid-summer, Nphet warns

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn gave a presentation to a Cabinet Committee on Covid-19 this evening which sources at the meeting described as “grim”.

The source conceded there would only be a gradual easing of “very few restrictions” next month. “I think we didn’t lower expectations enough,” the source said.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/easing-lockdownnow-could-result-in-new-wave-of-covid-cases-lasting-until-mid-summer-nphet-warns-40254516.html

Looks like schools are back and summer on the verge of being cancelled:

Easing lockdown now could result in new wave of Covid cases lasting until mid-summer, Nphet warns

Deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn gave a presentation to a Cabinet Committee on Covid-19 this evening which sources at the meeting described as “grim”.

The source conceded there would only be a gradual easing of “very few restrictions” next month. “I think we didn’t lower expectations enough,” the source said.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/easing-lockdownnow-could-result-in-new-wave-of-covid-cases-lasting-until-mid-summer-nphet-warns-40254516.html

Summer is a season, you can't cancel a season. So what if it delays normality in general, I think its worth it to give kids a chance in all of this.

They have to keep the media fear wagon going so they can keep their other useless and senseless restrictions in place.

Locotastic wrote: »
    Summer is a season, you can't cancel a season. So what if it delays normality in general, I think its worth it to give kids a chance in all of this.

They have to keep the media fear wagon going so they can keep their other useless and senseless restrictions in place.

what about all the businesses on the verge of collapse relying on reopening this summer ....

why not close everything properly for 8 weeks like last march, vaccinate and reopen june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

When are the virus vectors Schools closed for the Summer?

Is it still 2 months holidays for Primary and 3 for Secondary?

what about all the businesses on the verge of collapse relying on reopening this summer ....

why not close everything properly for 8 weeks like last march, vaccinate and reopen june

Kids have missed months and months across two school years already. They can't miss any more, some of them haven't been back yet either. Homeschool does not compare to what they get socially and academically in school.

Do you honestly think the population has any appetite for another 8 week lockdown, because that's deluded. You do realise children aren't being vaccinated so there's a gaping hole in your lockdown, vaccinate, open, plan.

Nevermind the fact that the restrictions aren't being followed now so they certainly won't be adhered to any better for another 8 weeks lockdown. People don't want to know about restrictions anymore, it's not going to happen.

Locotastic wrote: »
    Kids have missed months and months across two school years already. They can't miss any more, some of them haven't been back yet either. Homeschool does not compare to what they get socially and academically in school.

Do you honestly think the population has any appetite for another 8 week lockdown, because that's deluded. You do realise children aren't being vaccinated so there's a gaping hole in your lockdown, vaccinate, open, plan.

Nevermind the fact that the restrictions aren't being followed now so they certainly won't be adhered to any better for another 8 weeks lockdown. People don't want to know about restrictions anymore, it's not going to happen.

well that seems to be nphets plan - whether the govt will go with it remains to be seen:

One source said Nphet want to hold off easing restrictions significantly for another four to eight weeks to reduce the risk of another wave of the virus. (Irish Indo)

still looks like all school kids back anyway 12 april regardless at the moment so most parents can breath a sigh of relief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Looks like we won't be able to go beyond 5k for all of easter break, rumour the restrictions will go to within county after the return to school.

Fantastic.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement