Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Faugheen wrote: »
    Luke O’Neill has been around long before COVID-19. He’s had a regular slot on the Pat Kenny show for years.

Yes, i always enjoyed listening to him too pre covid, i really dont get the hate towards him, its kind of depressing really., Disagree with him fine but the vitriol is pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,013 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Luke O’Neill has been around long before COVID-19. He’s had a regular slot on the Pat Kenny show for years.

Plus he is already a very rich man, so he ain't doing it for the money.

I think he likes being in the limelight. And this is exactly why folk are probably turning against him, he is bloody everywhere. And has been for a year, telling us it'll all be alright, while we haven't been able to have any sort of life for a year.

It grates on people. He'd be better lying low for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yes, i always enjoyed listening to him too pre covid, i really dont get the hate towards him, its kind of depressing really., Disagree with him fine but the vitriol is pathetic

But he played guitar on the telly. What a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What narrative has Luke O'Neill pushed that has encouraged ruining people's lives?

Seriously start backing up your nonsense with some evidence.

And he works in the field of immunology. He is very much an expert in this field.

I reckon there are posters on here that, if they went to the doctor and the doctor explained to them that they needed to lose weight because they were obese and in danger of developing diabetes, that the poster would call the doctor a "no-craic bollix" and blame the doc for the situation

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Plus he is already a very rich man, so he ain't doing it for the money.

I think he likes being in the limelight. And this is exactly why folk are probably turning against him, he is bloody everywhere. And has been for a year, telling us it'll all be alright, while we haven't been able to have any sort of life for a year.

It grates on people. He'd be better lying low for a while.

Exactly. He's like a medical Eddie Hobbes.

Eddie had a TV series around 2008 ""helping" people with their spending.

Eddie: So let me get this straight, you bought a house for 500k, even though it's only worth 300k, you work in Spar, your husband works in Dunnes, you get takeaways three times a week and your baffled by having no money?

Once the crash happened, he had the good sense to go quiet.

Exactly. He's like a medical Eddie Hobbes.

Eddie had a TV series around 2008 ""helping" people with their spending.

Eddie: So let me get this straight, you bought a house for 500k, even though it's only worth 300k, you work in Spar, your husband works in Dunnes, you get takeaways three times a week and your baffled by having no money?

Once the crash happened, he had the good sense to go quiet.

Unfortunately that spoofer is making a comeback, heard him on the radio recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately that spoofer is making a comeback, heard him on the radio recently.

There are investigations to try to find out where some of the money from his "investment vehicle" went and whether any can be recovered for the investors who lost a lot of money.

I think that it lost all the money that was invested. Which is difficult enough thing to do when investing in physical assets............for example, if I remember correctly, they bought distressed properties in the US, then later realised they couldn't afford to pay the taxes due so they just gave them away to the company that they hired to renovate them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

The Irish media are now grasping at straws trying to keep this going hyping up a 4th wave here now listened to radio 1 yesterday these journalists are a fcukin disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

mean gene wrote: »
    The Irish media are now grasping at straws trying to keep this going hyping up a 4th wave here now listened to radio 1 yesterday these journalists are a fcukin disgrace
    reading irish independent youd want to blow your brains with waffle they come up with. theres effort thats been done nation wide for almost entire year now, and same fckn drum is being banged few arent adhering to completely self isolate from life :cool:.

theres 0 fck all news about hse trying to increase capacity for icus, vaccine's are treated as a freaking business venture, yes few people die of covid each day same as few dozen people die of other ilnesses accidents daily for years, this scaremongering crap is getting out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

There are investigations to try to find out where some of the money from his "investment vehicle" went and whether any can be recovered for the investors who lost a lot of money.

I think that it lost all the money that was invested. Which is difficult enough thing to do when investing in physical assets............for example, if I remember correctly, they bought distressed properties in the US, then later realised they couldn't afford to pay the taxes due so they just gave them away to the company that they hired to renovate them.

Didnt euromillions delores lose loads of money in property in detroit based on his investment advice?

Eddie hobbs is an anti-masker as well for good measure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Distressed properties lol. Amateur vulture investors now I've heard everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

What about the people who handed him their money - are they all dutiful mask wearers?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

Is he really ? or did he refuse to wear one whilst walking alone in the beach so he is a far right nazi bigot anti vaxxer according to RTE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You can hear Eddie Hobbs opinions on the effects of Covid and lockdowns on the economy here...

Is he really ? or did he refuse to wear one whilst walking alone in the beach so he is a far right nazi bigot anti vaxxer according to RTE ?

He has that antimasker smiley emoji in his twitter name and he is always banging on about how this is an opportunity to microchip people etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

hi5 wrote: »
    You can hear Eddie Hobbs opinions on the effects of Covid and lockdowns on the economy here...

Any idea why this was removed from YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Chivito550 wrote: »
    These things can only have an effect as part of a long term campaign such as with smoking. It's certainly not going to make people restrict themselves more if they've been ignoring it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

is_that_so wrote: »
    These things can only have an effect as part of a long term campaign such as with smoking. It's certainly not going to make people restrict themselves more if they've been ignoring it so far.

Those that will watch TV are also likely to be those who are more likely to abide by restrictions

I think this ad will prove to be a big mistake. It will be the final nail in the coffin for public support. I'd pull this now if I were them, before it's too late. Watch this space.

hi5 wrote: »

548468.png

Removed from YouTUbe. Good Riddance. For once yOUtUBE AGENTS DID THE RIGHT THING!

SPLASH.png

is_that_so wrote: »

So the advert is actually three situations that are staged or acted?

When I first heard about it, I assumed they were going to use real footage of people fighting for their lives, which I thought would have been hard hitting.

But now it reads like it's just a scripted bit of acting, compete with fake nurses and ventilators etc. That won't have the same impact. No point showing a "this is what could happen to you" scenario. People have all seen the Real footage of the scenes in Italy etc, the coffins in new York, but that didn't change how they acted, so i doubt a staged scene with actors will either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

As someone who works in a hospital and mostly in covid wards I find this picture hilarious...

0-JS226085791.jpg
    cover photos on tumblr

NOBODY, NOBODY goes around in that. Gown, mask, goggles... not a bloody space suit. Scaremongering.

I'll add to this. Original image here (from Italy) https://torino.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/06/news/coronavirus_situazione_in_piemonte_news_contagi-281391381/

But also used:

https://www.aradon.ro/aradon-stirile-judetului-arad/62-de-cazuri-noi-si-5-decese-la-arad-1331271/

And multiple other outlets, its just a stock photo from... god knows where. Propaganda 101.

Any way to find out how much the HSE/Government has spent on Covid ads since all this began? Tax payers money so we have a right to know.

All costs, including the production of creative, payment of actors, as well as the actual media slots on various TV and radio networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Any way to find out how much the HSE/Government has spent on Covid ads since all this began? Tax payers money so we have a right to know.

All costs, including the production of creative, payment of actors, as well as the actual media slots on various TV and radio networks.

It is being reported that RTE will record a profit this year....

The Government are spending in local newspapers, radio stations and national TV stations in a manner no other entity is...taxpayers money that is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭bloopy

Thats f**king disgusting.
    They are going to make us beg for our lives back and the easily riled up will be used to attack anyone who steps out of line.
    I am sick of the 2 minute hate being used to turn people on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Ads like that have been on British television for ages now. I feel bad for children who are subjected to this fear propaganda day in day out.

Advertisement