Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three people escape from quarantine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Not sure if my post was deleted or didn't save

But there are some morons in this thread crying about detention. This is not detention. The people in these hotels didn't land into the country and without any warning we're detained at the airport and transported as detainees with no forewarning.

They chose to come here knowing the procedure and rules hardly the same ffs. Also its not as if they can't leave. They can walk out the front door as demonstrated
    Doesn't make it right. It also doesn't make any sense. Unless you are going to police every covid positive person and their close contacts then why make covid negative people quarantine in hotels? Why can't I spend two weeks in my home instead of a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

But there are some morons in this thread crying about detention. This is not detention. The people in these hotels didn't land into the country and without any warning we're detained at the airport and transported as detainees with no forewarning.

They chose to come here knowing the procedure and rules hardly the same ffs. Also its not as if they can't leave. They can walk out the front door as demonstrated

Mod

It was deleted and unless you want a card, id remove the insult from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Doesn't make it right. It also doesn't make any sense. Unless you are going to police every covid positive person and their close contacts then why make covid negative people quarantine in hotels? Why can't I spend two weeks in my home instead of a hotel?

I'm not debating whether it's right or not. Those are the rules. Don't like them don't come here, simple

I'm not debating whether it's right or not. Those are the rules. Don't like them don't come here, simple

Nah, some rules are made to be broken. I'll be booking flights to go to Ireland in the summer for a few months. If my country gets added to the list and my negative test isn't enough they can take a hike.
    I'll be isolating before seeing family of course. And if they want to drag me in front of a judge so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nah, some rules are made to be broken. I'll be booking flights to go to Ireland in the summer for a few months. If my country gets added to the list and my negative test isn't enough they can take a hike.
    I'll be isolating before seeing family of course. And if they want to drag me in front of a judge so be it.

Well some nurse and her family also incorrectly thought they were too special for the rules. It didn't play out the way that they thought their imagined exceptionalism would cause things to play out.

I'd say that if you go that route, don't advertise your story in the national press like those eejits did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wow your such impressive and brave..... that's what you wanted to hear right?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wow your such impressive and brave..... that's what you wanted to hear right?

No. Not at all. What's the worst that can happen? Mr Judge will find out I had a negative test and went to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hotel quarantine is unnecessary and a BS move. Like the other poster said there is no reason people can't quarantine at home. Where are the Irish covid cases coming from? From Irish people breaking rules mostly.

Where did the variants come from? Abroad , that’s where! And most of the people flying in won’t have a home here... and those that do won’t actually abid by the rules ... so if they won’t then give them no choice ! This is the one thing that the govt should’ve done since March 20

LillySV wrote: »
    Where did the variants come from? Abroad , that’s where! And most of the people flying in won’t have a home here... and those that do won’t actually abid by the rules ... so if they won’t then give them no choice ! This is the one thing that the govt should’ve done since March 20

What about the Irish variants? What about the Irish not abiding by the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭acequion

If we're going to descend into name calling the "morons" are not the ones calling out this farce for exactly what it is. The morons and I could think of plenty other words to describe them such is my disgust, are the ones who have hysterically demanded the outrageously expensive detention of healthy Covid negative adults and children, while several Covid positive and their close contacts wander the community at will.

The whole thing is a complete sham, utterly meaningless at this late point in the pandemic and I have every sympathy for the unfortunate individuals stuck in these detention centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

And you have to pay a lot of money for this prison. Those young kids will be traumatised after these 2 weeks. The long flight from Oz is bad enough, now you get the 2 weeks box hotel prison room that costs you €200 a night.

Traumatised? Sorry what?
    Traumatised is living through a war or being in a car crash or losing loved ones etc. Not staying in a bloody hotel!
    Get your priorities right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Covid spread to this country because of travel ... even if everyone in Ireland stayed locked into their house for a month before coming out ... if visitors to this country are allowed in unchecked , they virus will pour into the country again . So stop everyone coming in and make them do this ... and if they not happy with it, then they can stay in the great liberal country they are currently in ... shur why do they want to come to Ireland if it’s so bad anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 32,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What Irish variants? I don't think there has been any...

"They can take a hike"...that isn't how it works..

Has anyone got the "oh your hard" meme from the office handy....lol

No. Not at all. What's the worst that can happen? Mr Judge will find out I had a negative test and went to self isolate.
    Mr judge could fine you 2k force you to pay for quarantine in a hotel and also lock you up for a month..you haven't really thought this through I would suggest....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Valhallapt wrote: »
    There were 600 community cases yesterday. Are we going to lock everyone up?

600 cases might not sound too much to you. Let people of a plane, they shared a plane with others and could have picked up covid... and let them go home and mingle see what happens.

Let people fly in from skiing trips last year. Then Christmas and allowing people to come home. Rinse and repeat.

gmisk wrote: »
    Mr judge could fine you 2k force you to pay for quarantine in a hotel and also lock you up for a month..you haven't really thought this through I would suggest....

I don't think jail would happen in fairness. So I guess that's a risk I'll need to take. Anyway, I'm more worried about the superspreaders in Ireland. I'll have my negative test so hopefully I'll be let in.
    It's the unpoliced residents of Ireland that are more harm to my health.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't think jail would happen in fairness. So I guess that's a risk I'll need to take. Anyway, I'm more worried about the superspreaders in Ireland. I'll have my negative test so hopefully I'll be let in.

My guess is you'd be bailed on condition you remained in your quarantine hotel.

Ignoring that would result in rather less salubrious accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The jail time and fine needs to be enforced.

It's about sending a message...

Graham wrote: »
    My guess is you'd be bailed on condition you remained in your quarantine hotel.

Ignoring that would result in rather less salubrious accommodation.

I'll be sure to post back here later. But hopefully my country stays off the magic list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

strandroad wrote: »
    It's not about where they fly from, they had a transfer in Dubai and shared their second flight with Dubai passengers.

That's an excellent point. When I first heard about this case, I though it was a bit OTT to penalise people for having a very brief stopover in Dubai. But it's not the stopover that's the problem. The problem is that they ended up sharing a flight with loads of other people who may have been staying in Dubai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Hotel quarantine is unnecessary and a BS move. Like the other poster said there is no reason people can't quarantine at home. Where are the Irish covid cases coming from? From Irish people breaking rules mostly.

The lady from Australia has a kid with a birthday today. It's not quarantining if they have to go to the shops to buy food and a birthday cake.

And it's very unfair to be saying Irish are breaking rules and catching covid like that. It's an airborne virus, you can keep your two metres and still catch it. So you don't know how people are catching this and how much rules they're breaking. You don't have to break rules when it's airborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

abff wrote: »
    That's an excellent point. When I first heard about this case, I though it was a bit OTT to penalise people for having a very brief stopover in Dubai. But it's not the stopover that's the problem. The problem is that they ended up sharing a flight with loads of other people who may have been staying in Dubai.

The problem with all aspects of covid restrictions, is that everyone can justify why it should not apply to them. Then you end up in a situation where nothing should apply to anybody. The more exceptions you make, the less effective any control measures become and the longer we suffer through wave after wave.

In this case, people literally booked in to the circumstance and know the rules they are expected to observe. If you don't agree with the terms, don't sign up for the contract.

If your that worried maybe stay where you are, you might be happier

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

Why hotel quarantine at all...to make money, same like with 5km rule and fines for travelling to airport. If not allowed to travel close the airports simple solution, leave only cargo flights opeating. If not possible to enforce then there is a need for quarantine so do it like in other EU countries, put a warning seal on the door and send military or gardai to check everyday if people are complying and staying in their own houses/apartments that they already pay high mortgages or rents for! What's the point of them at hotels if everyone can walk out and they have no power to stop them. They would get much better result if people were not forced but asked to comply in their own houses while being checked on! But it's all about the money they can rip off people!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any sign of these morons ?

2 have now been rounded up 1 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The problem with all aspects of covid restrictions, is that everyone can justify why it should not apply to them. Then you end up in a situation where nothing should apply to anybody. The more exceptions you make, the less effective any control measures become and the longer we suffer through wave after wave.

In this case, people literally booked in to the circumstance and know the rules they are expected to observe. If you don't agree with the terms, don't sign up for the contract.

There might be fewer questions about this if we were making more progress with community spread but we are not. As we stand these guests of the nation will face the same level if not higher when they are released.

Now, we know it is harder to police and manage but we seem to be lacking any new means of tracking the disease and breaking transmission chains. Much as I support the testing system, constantly blaming B1.1.7 and behaviours for spreading it, it seems like it's become the cop-out.

kooreczka wrote: »
    Why hotel quarantine at all...to make money, same like with 5km rule and fines for travelling to airport. If not allowed to travel close the airports simple solution, leave only cargo flights opeating. If not possible to enforce then there is a need for quarantine so do it like in other EU countries, put a warning seal on the door and send military or gardai to check everyday if people are complying and staying in their own houses/apartments that they already pay high mortgages or rents for! What's the point of them at hotels if everyone can walk out and they have no power to stop them. They would get much better result if people were not forced but asked to comply in their own houses while being checked on! But it's all about the money they can rip off people!
    The hotel quarantine to make money? Come on...what were the bookings like....they had about 70ish a few days back....the figures are very small

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

vicwatson wrote: »
    2 have now been rounded up 1 to go
    Is that the one who went north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

acequion wrote: »
    If we're going to descend into name calling the "morons" are not the ones calling out this farce for exactly what it is. The morons and I could think of plenty other words to describe them such is my disgust, are the ones who have hysterically demanded the outrageously expensive detention of healthy Covid negative adults and children, while several Covid positive and their close contacts wander the community at will.

The whole thing is a complete sham, utterly meaningless at this late point in the pandemic and I have every sympathy for the unfortunate individuals stuck in these detention centres.

If you think this four star hotel that people knew they were booking into and can walk out the front door is a detention centre then you are a moron.

Advertisement