Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

eggy81 wrote: »
    Why would there be leftovers. There’s the supply and the plan. No excuses for anyone to deviate. Vaccinate in order of the priority list and just keep doing it. Leftovers filter down to the next group. What’s so hard about that?

Did you read the article? It explains what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Shelflife wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/aoifstokes/status/1375316525813485568?s=21

They clearly didn’t look to hard to see if there was anyone to give the leftover vaccines to !

An absolute scandal of the highest order. No one will convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Daily Mail...

I think he was referring to the Tweet above the picture...
    My mother is in category 4 and is a patient in the Beacon hospital undergoing ongoing treatment for cancer. They’ve been unable to give us any information on when she’ll get the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eggy81 wrote: »
    Why would there be leftovers. There’s the supply and the plan. No excuses for anyone to deviate. Vaccinate in order of the priority list and just keep doing it. Leftovers filter down to the next group. What’s so hard about that?
    This is all the unknown stuff that people have already filled in. It sounds exactly the same as some of the other hospital stories, they were caught with extras when the lists were done and they identified alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

dubrov wrote: »
    The choice is to throw away the excess or not.

You'd swear by the article that the teacher's in this school were the only ones in the country receiving the excess.

The journalist would have had to Scott through a long list to try and get this juicy story
    Or, you know. Give it to the next in line on the priority list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Another day another example of what a absoloute shambles the HSE is. Thats 2 events that are known there are obviously more. Didnt hear of the mater having extra doses and calling up the staff of o connell boys. Infact it seems these extra doses all come from one direction.

A spring clean is needed, top to bottom of the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Ah yeah, everything is grand isn’t it. Same old Ireland. Backslapping and high fiving galore.

Country is on its fecking knees pal. Them 20 vaccines could have went to any number of people besides them teachers. I’ve a frail inlaw ho’s 65 and afraid to leave the house since this began. Just let that sink in.

DITTO!

Dr. Tony runs the show at the start while everyone quickly forgets the Cervical Check SCANDAL.

Making a public health crisis a policing issue from the start...

Importing new strains... Constantly...

Putting a quarantine policy in place 12 MONTHS too late!

Hiding behind NPHET. Repeatedly!

Making an utter balls of the vaccine roll out...

Doing NOTHING to build capacity in the hospitals.

And people actually defending the story this morning... "shur, at least they didn't go to waste?" LOL - It's not like there aren't 4 MILLION Irish people not jabbed. Those teachers were (IMO) lined up in advance to get those vaccines.

It's embarrassing to be Irish in 2021... We continue to accept utter incompetence at every turn! Don't get me started on the non-Covid related emergencies that are on the perpetual long finger. Cancer, mental health, mortgage arrears, suicide... ah, staaaap... don't be worrying about that.

kona wrote: »
    Another day another example of what a absoloute shambles the HSE is. Thats 2 events that are known there are obviously more. Didnt hear of the mater having extra doses and calling up the staff of o connell boys. Infact it seems these extra doses all come from one direction.

A spring clean is needed, top to bottom of the HSE.
    It's not the HSE here. They have guidelines on vaccination groups, it's the Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Everyone is ready to jump on the next scandal and be utterly outraged even of at the smallest of things, it's the way people are now, of course it heightened given the circumstances we find ourselves in.

But I think this one is actually justified.

The explanation given is a mixture of nonsense and incompetence and when someone is admitting to that it's usually to hide a greater sin.

The time to get the vaccines out were most certainly time sensitive, but who goes on the stand by lists certainly weren't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Treppen wrote: »
    I think he was referring to the Tweet above the picture...

Generally they avoid giving people getting chemo any sort of vaccines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

200 no shows to the beacon, better they were used than dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Maybe - or maybe it was an easy 1 hit job done for 20 jabs. Wonder how many teachers are in the school - there was 60 in mine. Wonder if anyone else was called first?

No defending the way extra vaccines are being used, but then the hse are vaccinating work from home staff in their 20's

Plenty of poor practice going on.

If this was in any way planned it is appalling, would be nice for someone to find out some more info.

It would have to have been planned... or at least the school would have to have been put on standby.

They discovered that they were short on 4:30.

20 Teachers from Bray arrive at the beacon about an hour later.
    Don't forget teachers would have been working from home too. So I sincerely doubt that it was all organised so fast....

Think about the time interval between being a teacher and logged off from work on a Friday at 4:30 and not knowing anything about any vaccine... and then sitting on a chair in a hospital with a needle in your arm.

60 minutes ???

This part I don't get, assuming it's true. Is that a regular issue with vaccinations?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm sure if they had rang the local cop shop, fire station or ambulance service 20 people would have turned up.

They've already been vaccinated though, in the tents at the gates of the Phoenix park.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not the HSE here. They have guidelines on vaccination groups, it's the Beacon.

Thats a real HSE or government response, blame somebody else.
    HSE is responsible for vaccine roll out (unfortunately for us) they must have audited the beacon and were happy with their structures to administer vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭thomas 123

is_that_so wrote: »

Yes it is. Both parties are culpable.

Enforce the guidelines. Take the vaccines off the Beacon. Do something instead of saying sorry for the millionth time.

Yea imagine 200 "no shows" :pac:

thomas 123 wrote: »

Enforce the guidelines. Take the vaccines off the Beacon. Do something instead of saying sorry for the millionth time.

Exactley this, ****e like this just wouldnt be tolerated elsewhere under the conditions. They should remove the beacon from their vaccination programme and sue them for breach of contract. Since supply is the real issue the shortfall can be made up elsewhere.

kona wrote: »
    Thats a real HSE or government response, blame somebody else.
    HSE is responsible for vaccine roll out (unfortunately for us) they must have audited the beacon and were happy with their structures to administer vaccines.
    No, it's really not the HSE here and it has a lot to be blamed for in general. They provide the IT system, the vaccines and the vaccination group guidelines. After that it's up to the hospital to do it right and according to their best judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This story will come as a welcome distraction from the fact that the vaccines were left over because the HSE booking system is a pile of turd.

200 people were double booked at the aviva and the Beacon to get the jab.

That 200 people in a day when 1000 are getting it.

So yea 20% of bookings being done incorrectly.

Let nobody wonder why the numbers at protests keep growing with things like this happeing, not that I’m ever going to be protesting, just don’t be surprised when the crowds grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

How many vaccinations will the Beacon support?

Fully disagree with any bad practice (seems on face value to be some here) but "take the vaccines off the beacon" is probably a bit of a ludicrous statement.

Would love to see some clarity on the way this happened and then some changes to stop repeat - at least that may help improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Skyfloater

The amount of GP's who have had family members vaccinated because they are "receptionists" has slipped under the radar as well. The numbers in that cohort ballooned up from the initial estimate with nothing said.

So all 200 showed up at the aviva even though they had a booking for the beacon as well, a likely story. No shows are always going to be a problem and one that snowballs over the next 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

200 doubled booked.

If this is true, then that's another cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭thomas 123

How many vaccinations will the Beacon support?

Fully disagree with any bad practice (seems on face value to be some here) but "take the vaccines off the beacon" is probably a bit of a ludicrous statement.

Would love to see some clarity on the way this happened and then some changes to stop repeat - at least that may help improve things.

I mean they are supposed to be the professionals yet can’t follow an ordered list so I don’t think it’s that ludicrous. Will the hse accept another “I’m so so sorry” or actually take some real action(not a wet squib “we will review the guidelines”)

Remember this is an event we know about, how many do we not know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

This is the tip of the iceberg.
    In one town in the country an entire office of off campus HSE staff(numbers in the dozens)who are not public facing, were all given dose one of AstraZenica a month ago, from a standby list.
    Bear in mind the entire office are working from home since last March.

Now how does one arrive at putting people on a standby list for AstraZeneca? Given it has 6 months to be used....

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/covid19vaccineinfo4hps/sopastrazeneca.pdf

4.2 Safe handling
    COVID‐19 Vaccine AstraZeneca® comes ready to use, and each vial contains at least 10 doses. One dose (0.5 mL)
    contains not less than 2.5 x 108 infectious units (Inf. U).
    When low dead volume syringes and/or needles are used, the amount remaining in the vial may be sufficient for an
    additional dose(s). The National Immunisation Advisory Committee advises that if more than ten doses can be safely
    and accurately withdrawn from a vial they can be used as valid doses. There should be no pooling of excess vaccine
    volume from multiple vials.
    The shelf life of the unopened vials is less than 6 months and they should remain in their original boxes in the fridge
    until the time of usage.

200 doubled booked.

If this is true, then that's another cock up.

Can't be true, what are the odds of 200 all showing up to the one center, must have been at least 400 double bookings for 200 to turn up at one center. Numbers don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Amazing how 20 teachers could all make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

If the vaccines were genuinely "left over", better to use them than to throw them away. It gets us all closer to the vaccination objective.

However, it would be preferable if there was a more "equitable" stand-by list in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I mean they are supposed to be the professionals yet can’t follow an ordered list so I don’t think it’s that ludicrous. Will the hse accept another “I’m so so sorry” or actually take some real action(not a wet squib “we will review the guidelines”)

Remember this is an event we know about, how many do we not know about?

So we should get rid of a vaccination location that will do 1000's of doses, with the added advantage of having a hospital on site for any adverse unexpected issues??

Sounds a bit silly to me.

I agree that whats happened seems absolutely appalling, and I have no doubt in every vaccination location in the nation a bit of who you know is happening. (Stories of extra shots in nursing homes a prime example).

Still cannot justify removing the beacon as a vaccination center though. Got to be realistic even if its unfair and hard to swallow

Advertisement