Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is the tip of the iceberg.
    In one town in the country an entire office of off campus HSE staff(numbers in the dozens)who are not public facing, were all given dose one of AstraZenica a month ago, from a standby list.
    Bear in mind the entire office are working from home since last March.

Anyone involved in running the health system is being vaccinated as a priority, whether front facing or not, to ensure that the health system has the resources to handle the influx of patients with COVID-19. Frontline are generally prioritised, but all admin, IT and backend workers are also getting it, because if they get sick with COVID, the capacity of the health system is reduced.

In this case, if the hospital didn't follow the priority list, and if they were urged to contact the school that the CEO's children went to at the CEO's behest, then:
    • The CEO should be investigated for abusing his position as CEO, potentially losing his job
    • The teachers involved should face sanction from the teaching unions and school (what morals are these teachers able to teach kids now?)
    • The vaccinators involved should be investigated to find out if they knew what was going on and potentially lose their position

If it is true, it's a clear case of corruption that has happened, and needs to be dealt with severely. If there are other similar cases happening, then those should be dealt with severely as well. The hospitals are in a position of power with regard to vaccine delivery, if individuals abuse that power, they should face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm sure if they had rang the local cop shop, fire station or ambulance service 20 people would have turned up.

Public sector bias scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

When this happened with the maternity hospital I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.. better used than wasted.

But then it transpired that there was a group of medical students on standby to receive any surplus who were overlooked in favour of family members. So I'm more cynical about these situations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

In one town in the country an entire office of off campus HSE staff(numbers in the dozens)who are not public facing, were all given dose one of AstraZenica a month ago, from a standby list.

Now how does one arrive at putting people on a standby list for AstraZeneca? Given it has 6 months to be used....

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/covid19vaccineinfo4hps/sopastrazeneca.pdf

4.2 Safe handling
    COVID‐19 Vaccine AstraZeneca® comes ready to use, and each vial contains at least 10 doses. One dose (0.5 mL)
    contains not less than 2.5 x 108 infectious units (Inf. U).
    When low dead volume syringes and/or needles are used, the amount remaining in the vial may be sufficient for an
    additional dose(s). The National Immunisation Advisory Committee advises that if more than ten doses can be safely
    and accurately withdrawn from a vial they can be used as valid doses. There should be no pooling of excess vaccine
    volume from multiple vials.
    The shelf life of the unopened vials is less than 6 months and they should remain in their original boxes in the fridge
    until the time of usage.

I know a HSE staff member who is on maternity leave who has got the vaccine and wont be back in work until at least July.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

beertons wrote: »
    They've already been vaccinated though, in the tents at the gates of the Phoenix park.

Gardai haven't been vaccinated, they're way down the list,can't speak for fire or ambulance ( and I'm not a Garda )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

astrofool wrote: »
    Anyone involved in running the health system is being vaccinated as a priority, whether front facing or not, to ensure that the health system has the resources to handle the influx of patients with COVID-19. Frontline are generally prioritised, but all admin, IT and backend workers are also getting it, because if they get sick with COVID, the capacity of the health system is reduced.

In this case, if the hospital didn't follow the priority list, and if they were urged to contact the school that the CEO's children went to at the CEO's behest, then:
    • The CEO should be investigated for abusing his position as CEO, potentially losing his job
    • The teachers involved should face sanction from the teaching unions and school (what morals are these teachers able to teach kids now?)
    • The vaccinators involved should be investigated to find out if they knew what was going on and potentially lose their position

If it is true, it's a clear case of corruption that has happened, and needs to be dealt with severely. If there are other similar cases happening, then those should be dealt with severely as well. The hospitals are in a position of power with regard to vaccine delivery, if individuals abuse that power, they should face the consequences.

I dont blame the teachers or any people who administered the vaccine.
    I do blame the HSE and Beacon, and their management. Unfortunately somebody needs to get the boot here as this isnt the first scandal over this, it wasnt good enough then and isnt good enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »

Shocking stuff really

After 4PM on a Tuesday. They were clearly told to be ready for a call

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I find it amazing that theres left over vaccines and they have to go looking for people.

1. Theres millions not vaccinated.
    2. They have a ****ing list, go down the list provided.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

well puts things to bed nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Beacon surely had a list of their own patients who are post cancer surgery etc
    I know for a fact that a member of my family who was a patient earlier this year for cancer would have turned up within 30 minutes .
    But no , they chose a school in Bray instead .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The justice minister on with Claire burn washing the government’s hands of the whole thing. The state has paid for these vaccines! people are pinned down by constant incompetence by high command it ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Cancer patients in the Beacon living closer than the school were overlooked. It's reprehensible, there's no excuse.

The justice minister on with Claire burn washing the government’s hands of the whole thing. The state has paid for these vaccines! people are pinned down by constant incompetence by high command it ridiculous!

Crazy precedent been set . They can actually vaccinate who they wont in whatever order they want

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The Beacon surely had a list of their own patients who are post cancer surgery etc
    I know for a fact that a member of my family who was a patient earlier this year for cancer would have turned up within 30 minutes .

Easier to get twenty together than run through a patient list like that and risk it dragging out too long, clearly they had exhausted the usual channels

Easier to get twenty together than run through a patient list like that and risk it dragging out too long, clearly they had exhausted the usual channels

However they can ring a school in Bray. Supposedly after school hours . And 20 teachers respond in a instant

I doubt there would be even 20 school teachers on the premises at one time at the moment .

Ah the usual excuses for sheer incompetence . There is no excuse for choosing a school staff in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Just walk into a ward ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

iamwhoiam wrote: »

While a lot of this smells fishy, I wouldn't want to be scrambling for individual people on that short notice, that's how vaccines end up in bins.

What about the patients in the actual hospital ?

There is a GPs office a 5 min walk away

Gets worse the more I think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Some nice parallels with a story I heard a few weeks ago from the US. Resignation of the CEO followed.
    The head of Good Samaritan Hospital has resigned weeks after the San Jose medical center came under fire for allowing Los Gatos teachers to receive coronavirus vaccines before educators were eligible.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/02/covid-good-samaritan-hospital-chief-executive-resigns-after-teacher-vaccine-scandal/

Our taxes are paying for this vaccine, and even if you're against the published priority list, it's been agreed by government and must be adhered to. The government are telling us to adhere to very strict rules for a year now, with fines for those who don't. If they don't want to completely lose the centre voters, there will have to be consequences for this story.

However they can ring a school in Bray. Supposedly after school hours . And 20 teachers respond in a instant

I doubt there would be even 20 school teachers on the premises at one time at the moment .

perhaps theres a teachers whatsapp, perhaps the ceo was approached before hand and told, if you are ever in a situation where regular channels are exhausted, drop a message here and we will have 20 people the the hospital with 30 mins, but only if you are struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

LMAO.

That school was 14 kms away and the teachers were available to get to the beacon quicker than teachers in the locality? And the school not making any comment. They really think, know they can get away with it.

Sure don't worry lads, this will all be forgotten about by next week, so keep the heads down.

Just walk into a ward ffs.

how do you know they hadnt offered it to them already?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    While a lot of this smells fishy, I wouldn't want to be scrambling for individual people on that short notice, that's how vaccines end up in bins.

Wards full of sick people right under their noses . But they phone 20 teachers in a school in Bray .

perhaps theres a teachers whatsapp, perhaps the ceo was approached before hand and told, if you are ever in a situation where regular channels are exhausted, drop a message here and we will have 20 people the the hospital with 30 mins, but only if you are struggling

Of course thats what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Now how does one arrive at putting people on a standby list for AstraZeneca? Given it has 6 months to be used....

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/covid19vaccineinfo4hps/sopastrazeneca.pdf

4.2 Safe handling
    COVID‐19 Vaccine AstraZeneca® comes ready to use, and each vial contains at least 10 doses. One dose (0.5 mL)
    contains not less than 2.5 x 108 infectious units (Inf. U).
    When low dead volume syringes and/or needles are used, the amount remaining in the vial may be sufficient for an
    additional dose(s). The National Immunisation Advisory Committee advises that if more than ten doses can be safely
    and accurately withdrawn from a vial they can be used as valid doses. There should be no pooling of excess vaccine
    volume from multiple vials.
    The shelf life of the unopened vials is less than 6 months and they should remain in their original boxes in the fridge
    until the time of usage.
    It lasts 6 hours once the vial has been opened.
    Depending on the vaccination setup, they may have had multiple vaccinators using separate vials, which would increase the number of left over doses.

On the flip side, you would expect when they are getting to the end of their list, they should be stopping and using less vaccinators, so they ain't opening a fresh vial for the last patient of the vaccinator beside them has an open vial which will be excess.

Even worse , pre planned . Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Can you share how it's clear that they had exhausted the channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

There is no case where they would be struggling that hard that they couldn't find someone nearer than the CEO's kids school teachers... I mean, would those teachers get the vaccine if his kids weren't there?

Advertisement