Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

Not sure if it is arrogance from her (“I will launch my campaign wherever I damn well want”)

or just ignorance (“havnt a breeze and havnt bothered my ass to do a basic check”)

Either is very concerning

https://www.independent.ie/podcasts/the-floating-voter/the-floating-voter-hazel-chu-i-may-not-win-a-seanad-seat-but-im-running-for-my-daughter-40239898.html

The Irish Independent reports today that Cllr Chu did not seek permission from the Office of Public Works (OPW) to hold that event and that under 1962 bye-laws, political events are not permitted in the park.

“I am very sorry,” she said.

She added that she didn’t think she would get many people to “show” up at the briefing and didn’t realise that she had to seek prior permission.

“I emailed some people, I didn't think they would show up.

“I’m happy to apologise.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

capefear wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/podcasts/the-floating-voter/the-floating-voter-hazel-chu-i-may-not-win-a-seanad-seat-but-im-running-for-my-daughter-40239898.html

The Irish Independent reports today that Cllr Chu did not seek permission from the Office of Public Works (OPW) to hold that event and that under 1962 bye-laws, political events are not permitted in the park.

“I am very sorry,” she said.

She added that she didn’t think she would get many people to “show” up at the briefing and didn’t realise that she had to seek prior permission.

“I emailed some people, I didn't think they would show up.

“I’m happy to apologise.”

Someone needs to use that excuse for a protest or a party. Not sure the Gardai would be too interested in it as an excuse anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Plenty of valid things to criticise Chu for. Most recently her tweets around the Nkencho debacle and support for mass protests during a pandemic, as well as her bone headed take on Carlow teachers and PE gear that turned out to be (surprise surprise) complete and utter nonsense. Basically her tweet history is one big catalogue of "whoops, probably shouldn't have tweeted that".

This thing of not seeking permission to host a political event in Stephen's Green, non issue imo. I had no idea political events weren't allowed in there and I suspect this was true for many people. She gets excess media attention and ironically it was probably this excess attention that caused this little faux pas. Any other potential Seanad candidate could probably just submit their candidacy without the need to host an event for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Folks. We're too quick to judge. Haven't you heard. She's doing it for her 3 year old daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

blanch152 wrote: »
    Social issues won't matter if Dublin is under two feet of water. Climate change is the issue of real importance.

Which is another problem for them. The more important climate becomes, the more major parties will focus their own attention to it to gain votes. Being a one party policy and that policy being pushed by all other parties will soon make that one party less relevant.

It's almost impossible for one party polices to survive and grow, and we are seeing that with the greens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GT89 wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me in the slightest

There is the slight problem that despite rather a lot more than a "little bit of digging" its never actually been proven.

This is from four years after it first surfaced

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/candidate-rejects-claims-he-lied-to-stay-in-ireland-26658391.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Plenty of valid things to criticise Chu for. Most recently her tweets around the Nkencho debacle and support for mass protests during a pandemic, as well as her bone headed take on Carlow teachers and PE gear that turned out to be (surprise surprise) complete and utter nonsense. Basically her tweet history is one big catalogue of "whoops, probably shouldn't have tweeted that".

This thing of not seeking permission to host a political event in Stephen's Green, non issue imo. I had no idea political events weren't allowed in there and I suspect this was true for many people. She gets excess media attention and ironically it was probably this excess attention that caused this little faux pas. Any other potential Seanad candidate could probably just submit their candidacy without the need to host an event for it.
    Sums her up for me (proven by the amazing speed with which taps out rubbish to get loikes/retweets--->possibilty of MSM coverage--->ups national profile) zero nuance just push a critical theoretical narrative to attain power, which is the essence of critical theories (gender/queer/social justice/race)
    Do we really need more of that?
    On her bio on the greenparty website https://www.greenparty.ie/people/hazel-chu/ :

" In my spare time I advocate on issues of diversity and equality on various media platforms."
    I think that's a bit of a porky, Hazel.

IMO, with C Martin's involvement, this to me is a dangerous game (in terms of that party/Ryan and their position in Govt) being played by balloons.
    Fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Was on Matt Cooper this afternoon wanting an end to "hate speech." Couldn't actually say what "hate speech" is. Apparently there's a meeting tomorrow to figure it out.

To me, modern hate speech is speech that disagrees with your woke narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tut tut holding an unauthorised event in St Stephen’s Green for journalists yesterday, where she officially launched her Seanad campaign. Then claiming she didn't know it had to be approved.

https://m.independent.ie/podcasts/the-floating-voter/the-floating-voter-hazel-chu-i-may-not-win-a-seanad-seat-but-im-running-for-my-daughter-40239898.html

I loved this bit in the article
    chances of her winning a Seanad seat are slim, she has put herself forward for her daughter...

Cllr Chu said that it is important for her to run for the Seanad, despite a slim chance of winning, for her daughter Alex (3).

“If I’m to be able to look at my three and a half year old in the eye and tell her that we need better representation so that people would see that this is a good thing that people from different minority groups and genders should be in government office, this is what i need to do,” she said.

I sincerely doubt Hazels daughter has any more thoughts about life other than wanting to play with her toys and being adamant she doesn't like broccoli but loves Ice-cream - like most 3 year old :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She’s no better than the Cash woman.
    Using your children to try to gain advantages is very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True, but the type of person that she is it’s not surprising... I’d say she has still absolute depths to plummet to, before we see the the worst of her...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hopefully she will be out of the Green party if she gets into the Senate. Does she actually have any interest in environmental issues or was the Green party just an easy way of getting a high profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Reminds of when Sabrina Williams had a meltdown with an umpire in the Australian Open a few years ago and at one stage referenced having a daughter and being a mother in the hullabaloo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Reati wrote: »
    Folks. We're too quick to judge. Haven't you heard. She's doing it for her 3 year old daughter.

So I suppose the tidy €69474 salary didn't cross her mind at all.

Maybe she will do it for free when its such a noble cause.:D

People need to see what’s happening with the type of individual Chu is... I’ve seen them in workplaces and elsewhere...it’s not just her...

They want all regulations and policies set down to ensure fairness and wellbeing for all to be not applicable to them IF....

1) they are a parent, a hall pass to ownership of the world don’t ya know. Everyone else, everyone else’s, aspirations, wellbeing and health takes a back seat with these absolute fućkwits.

2) they’ve had any sort of brush ‘supposedly’ or in reality with ‘mental health issues’... a hall pass to behave with total disregard for anybody and everybody else’s wellbeing...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think it is a useful function of a democracy to have an upper house to review legislation... But the senate in its current form is not fit for purpose and seems to be a holding pen for politicians who can't get elected by the general public or are unelectable full stop.

At least she is going in on a positive record with the electorate unlike the failures and lifers in that dump that has no place in a republic

Strumms wrote: »
    People need to see what’s happening with the type of individual Chu is... I’ve seen them in workplaces and elsewhere...it’s not just her...

They want all regulations and policies set down to ensure fairness and wellbeing for all to be not applicable to them IF....

1) they are a parent, a hall pass to ownership of the world don’t ya know. Everyone else, everyone else’s, aspirations, wellbeing and health takes a back seat with these absolute fućkwits.

2) they’ve had any sort of brush ‘supposedly’ or in reality with ‘mental health issues’... a hall pass to behave with total disregard for anybody and everybody else’s wellbeing...

"Mental health" is the great unchallengeable excuse for anything...

Reminds of when Sabrina Williams had a meltdown with an umpire in the Australian Open a few years ago and at one stage referenced having a daughter and being a mother in the hullabaloo

Serena?
    She was completely out of order and played rhe race card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strumms wrote: »

A "hall pass"

Back to America now lad with this daft stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

So I suppose the tidy €69474 salary didn't cross her mind at all.

Maybe she will do it for free when its such a noble cause.:D

Not a great salary really, especially compared to a TD.

Imagine getting paid for working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hopefully she will be out of the Green party if she gets into the Senate. Does she actually have any interest in environmental issues or was the Green party just an easy way of getting a high profile?

Hopefully she will not get into the Senate, that would be disgusting, then it looks like she will be out of the Green party anyway (hopefully also) then, hopefully that will be the end of hearing from/about her.

I belive I mentioned this in another post, but it seems to me, raising her profile to get a cushy number like the Senate was always going to be her plan.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    At least she is going in on a positive record with the electorate unlike the failures and lifers in that dump that has no place in a republic

Positive!? what part is positive?

Allinall wrote: »
    Not a great salary really, especially compared to a TD.
    Imagine getting paid for working.

69k for doing sweet fa is getting paid to work ?
    I dont know if Id call that work myself, sounds like a cushy number imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Reati wrote: »

Diversity yesterday, what next tomorrow -tune in tomorrow and find out how were bad people we all are if she doesnt get in

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

To actually discuss the Lord Mayor's performance since taking office, does anyone know if she has voiced any opinion on the general state of lawlessness in the city centre?

I know the office is in effect a totally powerless sinecure, but I do think it is incumbent on the Lord Mayor to at least try and advocate for the concerns and issues affecting the people of Dublin.

I work in the city centre and I have to say the frequency of low-level criminality is spiralling out of control.

Has the Lord Mayor ever spoken about this as an issue?

Diversity yesterday, what next tomorrow -tune in tomorrow and find out how were bad people we all are if she doesnt get in

Her twitter will go into overdrive, diversity something something, race something, cant look her 3yo in the face,

breezy1985 wrote: »
    A "hall pass"

Back to America now lad with this daft stuff

No thanks, I’ll give you a hall pass for saying that though.

PunkIPA wrote: »
    To actually discuss the Lord Mayor's performance since taking office, does anyone know if she has voiced any opinion on the general state of lawlessness in the city centre?

I know the office is in effect a totally powerless sinecure, but I do think it is incumbent on the Lord Mayor to at least try and advocate for the concerns and issues affecting the people of Dublin.

I work in the city centre and I have to say the frequency of low-level criminality is spiralling out of control.

Has the Lord Mayor ever spoken about this as an issue?

Google ‘Hazel Chew crime’.... the only articles I can see relating to her and crime is in relation to her comments on ‘hate crime’.. which presumably nobody has been arrested for.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Augme wrote: »
    Which is another problem for them. The more important climate becomes, the more major parties will focus their own attention to it to gain votes. Being a one party policy and that policy being pushed by all other parties will soon make that one party less relevant.

It's almost impossible for one party polices to survive and grow, and we are seeing that with the greens.

As a green voter, I would be happy if climate change became the number one issue for all parties. Then I could concentrate on other reasons to vote.

Until then though, I expect to be a Green voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

She's trying every angle.

I'm a woman.
    I'm different
    I'm doing it for my daughter.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some anti Chu graffiti next. The self entitlement and sheer balls is absolutely staggering.

blanch152 wrote: »
    As a green voter, I would be happy if climate change became the number one issue for all parties. Then I could concentrate on other reasons to vote.

Until then though, I expect to be a Green voter.

Well, I consider myself environmentally conscious, I think The Environment and Climate issues are the biggest problems we face,

What I dont think is that having Green Party as their name means they give a $hite about it anymore than any other career politician.

There needs to be a balance, between what people need now and how to bring environmental issues to the fore that is sustainable and economically viable. There are a lot of problems with how environmental issues are viewed here, but you need to bring people on board, not chastise them.

A lot of how stuff is dealt with here is NOT going to help solve a global problem, tax more and do sweet fa about anything.

Now with the Greens at each others throats, it hardly looks like they have time for actual real Green problems.
    Raising their profile and foisting their extremist views on us.

You'd think Ryan could afford to get a Prius Xtra or something a bit greener too, or at least have the sense to.

• Advertisement

She's trying every angle.

I'm a woman.
    I'm different
    I'm doing it for my daughter.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some anti Chu graffiti next. The self entitlement and sheer balls is absolutely staggering.

Hopefully come election time voters will remember and recognize her schtick and vote for less disingenuous and better equipped, better capable and intentioned candidates...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement