Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Strumms wrote: »
    Hopefully come election time voters will remember and recognize her schtick and vote for less disingenuous and better equipped, better capable and intentioned candidates...

She's going for the Seanad. Her electorate are current members of the houses of the Oireachtas. She's a green (independent). I could be wrong but without an agreement with FG and FF she won't be elected. I suppose her failure and the election will be due to too many men in the Oirechtas, rather then the fact that the Seanad Bye-Elections are flawed.

Who else is running in this election? Do any of the other parties have agreements put in place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

blanch152 wrote: »
    As a green voter, I would be happy if climate change became the number one issue for all parties. Then I could concentrate on other reasons to vote.

Until then though, I expect to be a Green voter.

I like the green partys plans to invest much needed extra funds into public transport and cycling but I would never vote for them until they drop the woke nonsense. Any party that isnt woke in the slightest gets my vote that probably limits me to unelectable parties like NP, IFP, Renua, ACI etc. unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Elmo wrote: »
    She's going for the Seanad. Her electorate are current members of the houses of the Oireachtas. She's a green (independent). I could be wrong but without an agreement with FG and FF she won't be elected. I suppose her failure and the election will be due to too many men in the Oirechtas, rather then the fact that the Seanad Bye-Elections are flawed.

Who else is running in this election? Do any of the other parties have agreements put in place?

Long term she’ll have aspirations to run as a TD... so hopefully she’ll have done more gaping damage to herself in the Seanad... I don’t think shes the type to ever just quietly go about her job , the errr one WE are paying her to do without firing off a few more ignorant and controversial and self serving broadsides.. seems she does however have some of the younger wokies eating out of her hand every time she opens that ditch like gob... for them the more wokie the better..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

breezy1985 wrote: »
    At least she is going in on a positive record with the electorate unlike the failures and lifers in that dump that has no place in a republic

What positive record?

Is shooting her gob off on Twitter a ‘positive record’. When you analyze whatshe has to say, the shît stirring....More like a broken record, useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Strumms wrote: »
    Long term she’ll have aspirations to run as a TD... so hopefully she’ll have done more gaping damage to herself in the Seanad... I don’t think shes the type to ever just quietly go about her job , the errr one WE are paying her to do without firing off a few more ignorant and controversial and self serving broadsides.. seems she does however have some of the younger wokies eating out of her hand every time she opens that ditch like gob... for them the more wokie the better..

Hopefully she will not get a seat in The Seanad, and just disappear into obscurity, her knee jerk reactions and via twitter to boot, I dont think thats suited to getting stuff done, just self promotion and getting noticed for its own sake.
    Im left wondering what she does, has done? other than self promotion and jump on controversial stuff to make noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

PunkIPA wrote: »
    To actually discuss the Lord Mayor's performance since taking office, does anyone know if she has voiced any opinion on the general state of lawlessness in the city centre?

I know the office is in effect a totally powerless sinecure, but I do think it is incumbent on the Lord Mayor to at least try and advocate for the concerns and issues affecting the people of Dublin.

I work in the city centre and I have to say the frequency of low-level criminality is spiralling out of control.

Has the Lord Mayor ever spoken about this as an issue?

She's much more concerned with real problems like hate speeech denying males can become females.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She should immediately resign as Lord Mayor. She cannot possibly give the important position as first citizen and Chair of Dublin City Council her full attention while campaigning for an election.

Deputy Lord Mayor Mary Callaghan should see out the remainder of the term as Lord Mayor until it ends in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What positive record?

She was elected the last time she ran in an election as opposed to the failed TDs in the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

breezy1985 wrote: »
    She was elected the last time she ran in an election as opposed to the failed TDs in the Seanad.

Most of those in the Seanad have been councillors for longer than Hazel and/or TDs, or were elected from the university panel.

How can someone who was once elected as a TD be less than someone who was never elected as a TD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

blanch152 wrote: »
    Most of those in the Seanad have been councillors for longer than Hazel and/or TDs, or were elected from the university panel.

How can someone who was once elected as a TD be less than someone who was never elected as a TD?

Try going back to the post I was replying to
    "But the senate in its current form is not fit for purpose and seems to be a holding pen for politicians who can't get elected by the general public or are unelectable full stop"

She is not someone who cant get elected or is unelectable as she currently holds an office and was elected the last time she stood in an election

1874 wrote: »
    Im left wondering what she does, has done? other than self promotion and jump on controversial stuff to make noise.

She has every answer to questions nobody asks of her..

Solutions and opinions to problems that don’t exist..but are invented by her to get her airtime.. Twitter time.

Problems and issues that DO exist and people are effected by daily ? Silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,376 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Amirani wrote: »
    Costello is her husband, so a bit more than just a backer.

I don't have a particular issue with her running for the Seanad, all power to her. No real problem with her choosing to do it as an Independent if she wasn't getting party support. However, she should have resigned as Chairperson of the Greens in order to do so.

So is she still part of The Green Party :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This read like a Babylon Bee tweet. The picture makes it.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1375175992206065669

This read like a Babylon Bee tweet. The picture makes it.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1375175992206065669

So it’s a vanity project. No surprise there...

She’s goes on about ‘needing better representation’... who the fûck is she to claim that ? The democratic process compiles who represents us....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Woman in token job (zero power and influence) goes for another token job (zero power and influence),while frantically virtue signalling as fast as she can. To no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I get the impression she isn't receiving the universal approval she expected, especially from the media, so is resorting to damage limitation of "Oh I know I don't have a chance", "It's for my daughter" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I get the impression she isn't receiving the universal approval she expected, especially from the media, so is resorting to damage limitation of "Oh I know I don't have a chance", "It's for my daughter" etc.

identity didn't work so now on to emotion, she's really running the full feelings over facts card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I think there are people waiting in the wings for her to trip herself up, didnt 3 of her colleagues invoke a vote of no confidence as chair of the Greens,
    I dont know how the internal aspects of political parties works, but this isn't a vote of confidence that it has come up.
    I think people generally have an idea of who she is now and how she operates and I believe this is likely better known in circles where people have closer dealings with her.
    This person does not have a place in politics imo, Ive rarely come across politicians (a lot who I can find fault with) and thought this person is bringing nothing to the table.

I get nothing positive from her at all, Ive no doubt she won an election based on she was promoted in a certain way, I find it hard to belive many people could support such a divisive horrid person, jumps on bandwagons and derives her support and notoriety from that imo, because I cant tell or see what she actually has achieved. seems to be sweet fa.

Basically seems to get a big kick out of how racist we all are,
    I dont how bad Pembroke Rd or Ranelagh or wherever is,
    I must travel in different circles, I dont see the Racist society she sees. Ive no doubt there are people who lash out at others for perceived ills, but Im not convinced its anywhere near as bad as people like her are making things out to be, if anything, I think she is intentionally sowing and fanning division, because she needs it to exist, its all she has.

kinda reminds me of a Bill Hicks skit where he was ripping Ted Turner and CNN, I believe about their fear mongering in the news, Mr Hicks mockingly stated he was (jokingly) looking out his window (does a birds tweeting sound) and doesnt see it (war, pestilence, famine).
    Ok in reality that stuff does exist, but there are fear mongerers (certain news media) who need it to be in business and the likes of Hazel Chu needs it to exist for no less a reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Larbre34 wrote: »
    She should immediately resign as Lord Mayor. She cannot possibly give the important position as first citizen and Chair of Dublin City Council her full attention while campaigning for an election.

Deputy Lord Mayor Mary Callaghan should see out the remainder of the term as Lord Mayor until it ends in June.

Nobody called for Paul McAuliffe to quit as Lord Mayor when he was actually campaigning for the Dáil; yet there's an FF grandee clattering around Twitter calling for Chu to do so now. Its not going to happen.

There is no actual campaign here as all the 218 votes will have been decided some time ago.

• Advertisement

Anyway her big trip up is actually the event organized in Stephen's Green for the press to announce her candidacy. As a Dublin City Councilor and Mayor she should have known the rules around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She knew from Day 1 that she wasn't going to get elected, it's a profile raising exercise. I mentioned before how she doesn't stand much chance of getting a GP seat in most of Dublin as they are held by established people and there's no constituency that will support 2 seats.

Which means she's either aiming for a Seanad seat (University Panel) at the next election, or she'll jump ship to the SD's, or her husband will make stand aside so that she can run in Dublin South Central (unlikely). Jumping to the SD's means she's in a very crowded constituency, so IMO she'll look for a Seanad seat in 2025, (probably earlier).

Which means she'll probably hit one of the two University Panels next time out and try to get a job for life as a Senator, waiting until the day she can get a decent shot at a Dail seat.

I don't see any other reason why she's running. It's worked either way, she's got the column inches and a number of interviews on radio and TV, so for that reason alone it's been a success for her.

Larbre34 wrote: »

I've no doubt you'll be calling on every other politician who seeks election to a different post, or any other public servant seeking election to resign immediately for the exact same reasons. I've also no doubt that you've been consistent about this in the past.

I don't have much time for Hazel Chu, I can't see what she's done over the past 9 months as Mayor that makes her stand out in a very positive way, but the amount of people calling for her to resign while she canvasses for the Seanad is a bit bizarre.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Which means she's either aiming for a Seanad seat (University Panel) at the next election, or she'll jump ship to the SD's, or her husband will make stand aside so that she can run in Dublin South Central (unlikely). Jumping to the SD's means she's in a very crowded constituency, so IMO she'll look for a Seanad seat in 2025, (probably earlier).

I don't see her moving to the SDs, she is a green and I'd say she will always be a green, she is their Chair and has shown her loyalty IMO. There are others in The Green Party that I thought might join the SDs but they seem to be creating a new party call Green Left.

I also thought the SDs would move on Green Party members to join SGDP Social & Green Democratic Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I've no doubt you'll be calling on every other politician who seeks election to a different post, or any other public servant seeking election to resign immediately for the exact same reasons. I've also no doubt that you've been consistent about this in the past.

I don't have much time for Hazel Chu, I can't see what she's done over the past 9 months as Mayor that makes her stand out in a very positive way, but the amount of people calling for her to resign while she canvasses for the Seanad is a bit bizarre.

She should have resigned after calling the Gards racist a few mins after the George incident.

Just politics IMO. In away I can see their point, it is not as if they are asking her to resign from the council. But agree if pervious mayor's have run in other elections as Mayor of Dublin then I see no reason for her to resign while she "campaigns".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

She knew from Day 1 that she wasn't going to get elected, it's a profile raising exercise. I mentioned before how she doesn't stand much chance of getting a GP seat in most of Dublin as they are held by established people and there's no constituency that will support 2 seats.

Which means she'll probably hit one of the two University Panels next time out and try to get a job for life as a Senator, waiting until the day she can get a decent shot at a Dail seat.

I don't see any other reason why she's running. It's worked either way, she's got the column inches and a number of interviews on radio and TV, so for that reason alone it's been a success for her.

I think she's Machiavellian enough to do all this.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To the detriment of her party.

Which is, IMO, unforgivable.

She should have resigned after calling the Gards racist a few mins after the George incident.

Agreed. And she could have done a lot more; like going out to Blanch with some of the other self styled black leaders like Ebun Joseph, and tried to appeal for calm and speak to the people out there. Might not be her juridstiction, but it is part of the wider city.

Her actions alone around the George Nkencho killings convinced me she isn't fit as a leader.
    awec wrote: »
    To the detriment of her party.

Which is, IMO, unforgivable.

True, but party politics is full of self serving ego's who have their own interests at heart. GP is no different.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Agreed. And she could have done a lot more; like going out to Blanch with some of the other self styled black leaders like Ebun Joseph, and tried to appeal for calm and speak to the people out there. Might not be her juridstiction, but it is part of the wider city.

Her actions alone around the George Nkencho killings convinced me she isn't fit as a leader.

True, but party politics is full of self serving ego's who have their own interests at heart. GP is no different.

It is but I am not sure any other party would tolerate a member going on a solo run that was so obviously embarrassing to the party, all because the party didn't agree to give her what she wanted.

Hazel Chu was happy to make her party a laughing stock in exchange for some personal PR gained by running in an election that she knows she has no hope of winning.

It is genuinely ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement