Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who still think Ireland is part of the UK

Options
  • 25-03-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Before anyone says part of Ireland is still part of the UK, I'm aware of that.

I remember watching a video on YouTube where there's an Irish guy from the IDA or some organization like that discussing trade on an American tv show. One of the panelists was totally confused why Ireland used the Euro and Scotland uses the pound. He seemed to be oblivious that we are an independent country.

It seems to crop up now and again. It really annoys me and shows people ignorance. What's everyone's thoughts.....

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpasQJJF-h0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I remember watching a video on YouTube where there's an Irish guy from the IDA or some organization like that discussing trade on an American tv show. One of the panelists was totally confused why Ireland used the Euro and Scotland uses the pound. He seemed to be oblivious that we are an independent country.

It seems to crop up now and again. It really annoys me and shows people ignorance. What's everyone's thoughts.....

We are not as relevant as we like to think we are. I know from travelling over the years that when i mentioned i am from Ireland i am often asked where it is as they think we park of UK...

We are an incredibly small country. If you asked people even what continent Papua New Guinea is in, let alone the currency, most people would get it wrong even though they have about twice the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Hey, that guy in the video now knows more than when he started the conversation. You can see his co-hosts knew he was making a mistake.

It's all good.

Why did he not explain when the Euro was introduced we wanted in and UK wanted to stay as there were/are.
    Also the tax thing is a big deal in some countries.

We are not as relevant as we like to think we are. I know from travelling over the years that when i mentioned i am from Ireland i am often asked where it is as they think we park of UK...

I had done post before i seen the clip...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ask most people in Ireland what the constitutional situation of Puerto Rico is, and they're not going to have a clue. Does the average person know that France's biggest land border is with Brazil? And it also has a border with Canada? Some people might know that Principality of Andorra is an independent country, but do they know that the Princes that are the heads of state are the President of France and the Bishop of Urgell, Spain?

Not everyone in the world should be expected to know the ins and outs of a small nation with a complicated history.

I work for an American company. I've come across this countless times, people referring to us as the UK.

But by the same token, the company's HQ is just outside Minneapolis. We'd often refer to it as the "Minneapolis office". But this is incorrect, and doesn't make any sense to them. The office isn't in Minneapolis, it's in a different city, and they would never refer to it as such. It would be like someone referring to an office in Bray as "the Dublin office". As you get further from a place, the resolution decreases and the details become less apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Triggering to Irish people who think the world revolves around Ireland and every nationality should have a potted history of Ireland in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Why did he not explain when the Euro was introduced we wanted in and UK wanted to stay as there were/are.
    Also the tax thing is a big deal in some countries.

I had done post before i seen the clip...

The impression I'm getting , is that Financials of Euro/Stirling are what in this lads head. History/Geography are not too much to the fore. Maybe ,Financials could be a struggle too. Still, he landed a t.v. slot questioning a senior in the I.D.A. about business and finance in U.K./Ireland/ Europe.

How do I get one of those gigs? I can be at least half as ignorant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Triggering to Irish people who think the world revolves around Ireland and every nationality should have a potted history of Ireland in their head.

I don't think it's that. Ireland punches well above it's weight in all aspects: finance, sport, commerce etc. Someone else compared it to Papa new guinea which is unfair on them. They're are not even close to our level.

The crux of this is the Irish guy should've nipped it in the bud early and instead of "why would we use the pound" he should've killed it and say Ireland isn't part of the UK. I don't think it's too much to ask that a news reporter/journalist would know that Ireland isn't part of the UK. Maybe the "Republic" part should be used more often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

About a decade ago, I got asked by a woman in her mid to late twenties in an Oxford pub whether or not they still owned us.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DuffleBag wrote: »
    I don't think it's that. Ireland punches well above it's weight in all aspects: finance, sport, commerce etc. Someone else compared it to Papa new guinea which is unfair on them. They're are not even close to our level.

The crux of this is the Irish guy should've nipped it in the bud early and instead of "why would we use the pound" he should've killed it and say Ireland isn't part of the UK. I don't think it's too much to ask that a news reporter/journalist would know that Ireland isn't part of the UK. Maybe the "Republic" part should be used more often.

Some people don't know or don't care about us.
    Some people simply aren't all that smart.

• Advertisement

About a decade ago, I got asked by a woman in her mid to late twenties in an Oxford pub whether or not they still owned us.

Was she hot, though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Was she hot, though?

Somewhat. I find ignorance extremely unattractive though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some very stupid comparisons here so far lads, PNG and Andorra ffs

I think Northern Ireland is a part of it. The problem for those without a whole lot of history and political knowledge is that they are aware there is some political connection between the UK and Ireland and it never dawns on them that if there is 'northern' part there must be a reciprocal part too. Sure there's a soccer team called the Republic of Ireland but there's also Wales and Scotland and they're part of the UK

We are an incredibly small country. If you asked people even what continent Papua New Guinea is in, let alone the currency, most people would get it wrong even though they have about twice the population.

I don’t buy this argument because Britain is well known. Therefore any reasonable education system should throw in the fact that there’s two separate countries on those two islands. If they can be taught where Britain is (which they must have done because they know Ireland is close by) then that slightly extra information is all that’s needed.

I agree he should have nailed it immediately by saying we are sovereign country fully integrated in with Europe and Euro, UK made their decision separate to us.
    He did not do this. After all the fact that we are in EU is principle reason corporate America are here.
    I may be wrong they may love ud and be here for the craic...

I don’t buy this argument because Britain is well known. Therefore any reasonable education system should throw in the fact that there’s two separate countries on those two islands. If they can be taught where Britain is (which they must have done because they know Ireland is close by) then that slightly extra information is all that’s needed.

Britain is well known yes, but do you think even the overwhelming majority of Irish people know that Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain? Or that the Isle of Man is not in the UK?

If Irish people don't even know these things, why should we expect Americans to know the difference between Britain and the British Isles?

It's common enough in Asia, and Africa to encounter people who think Ireland is part of the UK. A large part is that in poorer regions, they use old history/geography books for teaching, so they get taught out-of-date information as children, and it's not updated in their minds as they get older. They have such limited exposure to information about Ireland beyond Riverdance and Boyzone. Ireland being part of the "British Isles" doesn't help either.

I've encountered it in smaller local airports abroad, where the official is confused that I didn't have a British passport, and they've asked superiors to check to make sure my Irish passport is real. It happens.. although it's happening far less than it used to. (although, then again, I don't travel much in the sticks anymore either)

Whatever about yanks, someone from Britain not knowing where their border begins and ends is appalling. And in fact is one of the reasons why Brexit is such a mess. They didn’t discuss the border (the only land border with the EU) during the referendum if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Some very stupid comparisons here so far lads, PNG and Andorra ffs

Belgium, then.

How many people here would know the intricacies of the divide between the Flemish and the French speaking parts, and how deep the feelings between them run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Most people in Europe are fully aware that Ireland is not part of UK.

I deal with the US daily and you will find a lot of people think we are the one. Also in terms of currency they think we have UKP. This happens all the time.

• Advertisement

Belgium, then.

How many people here would know the intricacies of the divide between the Flemish and the French speaking parts, and how deep the feelings between them run?

Holland too. Not everyone who is from Holland is from the Netherlands.

Britain is well known yes, but do you think even the overwhelming majority of Irish people know that Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain? Or that the Isle of Man is not in the UK?

Well those are just terminologies and U.K. dubious that Irish people would not know that either. Irish people know where the border with the U.K. is. Some might say Great Britain (but I doubt it). Most would say the Northern Ireland border, or the U.K.
    If Irish people don't even know these things, why should we expect Americans to know the difference between Britain and the British Isles?

I would expect all educated people to know this. And in fact most do, and I have lived in the US.

You are taught where these islands are and then as a follow on that the two islands have two jurisdictions. I would also expect people to know north and South Korea.

This is true. I reckon a huge number of people here don't realise the difference between Great Britain and the UK.

Not to mention those who refuse to accept that we're part of the British Isles, despite how it's simply a geographical term rather than a political one....

Belgium, then.

No border there. What about Portugal and Spain. How many people think that Portugal is part of Spain being as they are part of the same peninsula?

Is that reasonable?

Holland too. Not everyone who is from Holland is from the Netherlands.

Think it's actually the other way round? Everybody from Holland is from The Netherlands, but not everybody from The Netherlands is from Holland?

i.e. Nord and Zuid (North and South) Holland are two of the provinces that make up The Netherlands, but there are other provinces too.

But either way, the very fact that we both can't be right just goes to prove the point being made here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is true. I reckon a huge number of people here don't realise the difference between Great Britain and the UK.

Not to mention those who refuse to accept that we're part of the British Isles, despite how it's simply a geographical term rather than a political one....

The British isles is a geographical term but it is rarely used due to the political history. It is not a term I use to describe these islands.

Any American who went to school and every British person should know Ireland (Republic) is not part of the UK. I would have thought it basic common knowledge.

The Northern Ireland troubles was world wide news at the time.

Well those are just terminologies and U.K. dubious that Irish people would not know that either. Irish people know where the border with the U.K. is. Some might say Great Britain (but I doubt it). Most would say the Northern Ireland border, or the U.K.

They are just terminologies? What? So it's perfectly understandable to you if most Irish people incorrectly think the Isle of Man is in the UK, but not if most American people incorrectly think Ireland is in the UK?
    I would expect all educated people to know this. And in fact most do, and I have lived in the US.

You are taught where these islands are and then as a follow on that the two islands have two jurisdictions. I would also expect people to know north and South Korea.

I have also lived in the US. Most of my Americans friends do indeed know the distinction between Ireland the UK. However, that is obviously a very biased sample. I worked in America as a teacher, and many of my fellow teachers did not know the difference let alone the students.

It does not become a "fact" just because the people you personally knew in America are aware of the distinction.

Think it's actually the other way round? Everybody from Holland is from The Netherlands, but not everybody from The Netherlands is from Holland?

i.e. Nord and Zuid (North and South) Holland are two of the provinces that make up The Netherlands, but there are other provinces too.

But either way, the very fact that we both can't be right just goes to prove the point being made here :D

Yes, I grammar'd bad. :o

No border there. What about Portugal and Spain. How many people think that Portugal is part of Spain being as they are part of the same peninsula?

Probably not many, in fairness. But there was never a union for centuries between those countries, in the way there was here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The thing is, we don't really. Possibly for finance because we're a bit of a tax haven, but same applies to the Caymans, Luxembourg, Malta, Switzerland etc. Switzerland probably "punches above it's weight" far more in finance terms given they're HQ to 2 globally systemically important banks - UBS and Credit Suisse and have a massive financial and banking sector.

Sport and commerce we just don't - we haven't done anything particularly special in either. But it's not just us, lots of small countries tell themselves that they "punch above their weight". Even the UK does be at it...

Advertisement