Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who still think Ireland is part of the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭davepatr07

I've lived in a few places in the world 2 of which were New Zealand and Canada.
    Most of the Kiwis knew Ireland was separated from UK however in Canada I did get some people thinking I was Scottish. I spent half the time doing a history lesson as there were a few that were curious about the history of Northern Ireland and whether there was a war still going on.

I got a reply back to a letter I sent to a company in Singapore one time and the the returned correspondence address was Dublin, Ireland, United Kingdom..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s used here and in North America too. I have only heard people from the south having gripes over it
    Admittedly it's not used outside of the weather, but that's mostly based in geography isn't it.

In his response, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs stated that "The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter-governmental sense. It is without any official status. The Government, including the Department of Foreign Affairs, does not use this term. Our officials in the Embassy of Ireland, London, continue to monitor the media in Britain for any abuse of the official terms as set out in the Constitution of Ireland and in legislation.

Dáil Éireann, Volume 606, 28 September 2005.

Please have a little respect for the Irish people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Have a little respect for me. I will continue to use the term British isles, if you are not content with that, I can say 'The Republic of Ireland and United Kingdom'.

But that's a whole lot of effort just to please some Irish Nationalists who want to remove all association with Britain.

British and Irish Isles - just like the British and Irish Lions!

The point of the term is to put all of the islands under one umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Have a little respect for me. I will continue to use the term British isles, if you are not content with that, I can say 'The Republic of Ireland and United Kingdom'.

But that's a whole lot of effort just to please some Irish Nationalists who want to remove all association with Britain.

I'm not an Irish nationalist, or an Irish Republican either, I am an Irish culturalist and I have no problem being involved in a dissociation from the entity you want to call 'Britain', or whatever else you want to name your place. 'Britain' has F**k all to do with me or this island. The Romans named your island 'Britannia' AKA 'Britain' right? And as far as I am aware, the Romans had nothing to do with the island of Ireland. So, going on that fact, what actually has the term 'Britannia' or its lineage term of 'Britain' got to do with us, people who recognise our own indigenous Irish culture, that exists, and always will exist?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

You don't need to curse, your post is quite threatening and indicates to me that you're more than annoyed about this term. If you didn't have issue Britain you wouldn't be so riled up.

I'm actually from Northern Ireland and have grown up using the term British Isles. I have genuinely never come across anyone who gets riled up about the term, infact I have noticed that foreigners from North America and Australia also use the term. I only see this issue online and with the Irish Government.

I do like the idea of having a name for all of the islands in the region, so I am hesitant to use the term Irish and British Isles. Anyone who wants to remove it, well that's ultimately about removing all British influence from this island, with an anti British rhetoric and undertone, I will continue to use it in my real life and I won't be bullied into saying anything else.

You don't need to curse, your post is quite threatening and indicates to me that you're more than annoyed about this term. If you didn't have issue Britain you wouldn't be so riled up.

I'm actually from Northern Ireland and have grown up using the term British Isles. I have genuinely never come across anyone who gets riled up about the term, infact I have noticed that foreigners from North America and Australia also use the term. I only see this issue online and with the Irish Government.

I do like the idea of having a name for all of the islands in the region, so I am hesitant to use the term Irish and British isles. Anyone who wants to remove it, well that's ultimately about removing all British influence from this island, with an anti British rhetoric and undertone, I will continue to use it in my real life.

Use whatever term you want. You could call yourself a Hobbit for all I care. Fact remains, this island is Ireland, culturally and historically. The culture is what lasts, that's what lasts historically and ultimately in actual fact. Just like the island you have the love affair with, the facts of its culture and history is what lasts, and also sets us apart from each other. Best go read up on it and spot the difference of what actually culturally sets us apart.

buried wrote: »
    Use whatever term you want. You could call yourself a Hobbit for all I care. Fact remains, this island is Ireland, culturally and historically. The culture is what lasts, that's what lasts historically and ultimately in actual fact. Just like the island you have the love affair with, the facts of its culture and history is what lasts, and also sets us apart from each other. Best go read up on it and spot the difference of what actually culturally sets us apart.

I don't have a love affair with anywhere, i'm a British citizen resident in the UK, my country of birth. You saying won't change that fact.

I don't have a love affair with anywhere, i'm a British citizen resident in the UK, my country of birth. You saying won't change that fact.

I'm not stopping you being from anywhere you want to be N, be wherever that makes you ultimately the most comfortable in your own mindset.

buried wrote: »
    I'm not stopping you being from anywhere you want to be N, be wherever that makes you ultimately the most comfortable in your own mindset.

It's a FACT, not a mindset.

• Advertisement

It's a FACT, not a mindset.

Whats a fact? That one island was called 'Britannia' and another 'Hibernia'/'EIRE' or have you some new facts to divulge? I'm all ears, c'mon lets go, tell me what happened afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Britain is the island to the east of Ireland. While I would like if Ireland was a few hundred miles further away, alas, that is as much a fantasy for me as 'Ulster/NI is British' is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

It is also a fact you are Irish as you are from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Back then we had lifebouy soap

That meant once a week wash harsh enough to keep you stink free.

Oops wrong thread. Supposed to be in the one about nit washing only once weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

While I see very little prospect of us rejoining the UK, I obviously see the constant pull to detach NI from GB. Like a giant tug of war, the pull on the rope seems to be all one way, with ourselves, the US + the EU all pulling on one end of the rope, with the Unionists despirately clinging onto the other end, as it slowly slips from their grasp ...

That's the impression I get anyway.

So if and when we win, and the rope is carried across the line with a majority in favour of leaving the UK, what then?

Can we then replace their NHS? or will that be the first realisation that we cannot fund them to the level they were accustomed to (as part of the UK). Big hike in taxes for us here in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

"The mainland". That makes me chuckle always.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

When I was in China, not one person I met had ever heard of Ireland, so I just eventually started saying I was from Europe.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It is also a fact you are Irish as you are from Ireland.

I am not Irish dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ittakestwo wrote: »
    The geographical name of the island archipelago is the British isles whether you like it or not. Dublin and London when corresponding refer to them as "These islands" probably due to the fact Dublin in the past would have an issue with them referred to the British Isles. Anyway the name Britain originates from the Romans. Seems pety that Irish have a complex with this. Do Brits have a problem with the name of the Irish sea that seperates Ireland to Britain.

The term British Isles is not just a geographical term despite what people say. It's now a politically loaded term which denotes dominance of Britain over Ireland and it was coined by the British. The roman term you refer to referred more to Britain.

Do you think if the islands were being named today they would be called the "British Isles".

I really don't see the need to group all the islands. anyway and happy enough that Ireland's government does not use the term?

I am not Irish dear.

If you go to Britain (where you are not from) and speak to a local, how would they describe your accent?

• Advertisement

While I see very little prospect of us rejoining the UK, I obviously see the constant pull to detach NI from GB. Like a giant tug of war, the pull on the rope seems to be all one way, with ourselves, the US + the EU all pulling on one end of the rope, with the Unionists despirately clinging onto the other end, as it slowly slips from their grasp ...

That's the impression I get anyway.

So if and when we win, and the rope is carried across the line with a majority in favour of leaving the UK, what then?

Can we then replace their NHS? or will that be the first realisation that we cannot fund them to the level they were accustomed to (as part of the UK). Big hike in taxes for us here in the Republic.

Although the EU attempted to annex NI through the Protocol (which has indeed impacted us all negatively) there has been no change on the ground. We will all be staying in the U.K. unless we consent it.. so no foreign or external influence will force out thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

Been all around Asia and they all think we are part of UK.

mondeo wrote: »
    Been all around Asia and they all think we are part of UK.

I've experienced that all over the world.
    I always find it strange.

I don't think there's one country in the world that I have not heard of or have an idea where on a map it is.

Maybe that's just how I am but how can a person not have a looked at a map or globe as child out of curiosity.

I may not know a lot about a small country but I would know if its existence and general locality.

Although the EU attempted to annex NI through the Protocol (which has indeed impacted us all negatively) there has been no change on the ground. We will all be staying in the U.K. unless we consent it.. so no foreign or external influence will force out thanks.

Do you mean the protocol that was first thought up by Theresa May's government?

Hard to believe you genuinely think the EU tried to annex NI. Totally delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm a geographer and it is not used in any of our circles, Lord Sutch. In fact the term is used as the primary example of how nomenclature is toxic in geography.

Toxic geography lol.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you mean the protocol that was first thought up by Theresa May's government?

Hard to believe you genuinely think the EU tried to annex NI. Totally delusional.

Hardly delusional every single thing aligns us with the EU including aid from our own government. Don’t be silly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I am not Irish dear.

You're on holiday so are you?

Hardly delusional every single thing aligns us with the EU including aid from our own government. Don’t be silly now.

It's an agreed negotiation between the EU and UK government so no need to use inflammatory language against the EU when the UK agreed to it.

You're on holiday so are you?

In the Irish Republic? No

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's an agreed negotiation between the EU and UK government so no need to use inflammatory language against the EU when the UK agreed to it.

It is hardly something that has grassroots support at all.

Advertisement