Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who still think Ireland is part of the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Although the EU attempted to annex NI through the Protocol (which has indeed impacted us all negatively) there has been no change on the ground. We will all be staying in the U.K. unless we consent it.. so no foreign or external influence will force out thanks.
    The EU didn't attempt to annex Northern Ireland, as you well know, but the majority of the population voted to remain in the EU. (And I realise that it wasn't a vote to leave the UK.)

548575.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It is hardly something that has grassroots support at all.

That's an entirely different matter and a moving of the goalposts and probably the view of one side of the community.

Grassroot support means nothing. After all Brexit doesn't have grassroots support in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I used to worked for a German company that supplied payments equipment, we used bombard them with reminders that we used the euro to make sure it equipment turned up programmed with the correct currency. It never worked, it would always turn up with sterling and we'd have to the get them rebranded and reprogrammed.

I've been on the phone arguing with German guys who told me i was wrong and that Ireland couldn't use the Euro as we voted for the Brexit. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's an entirely different matter and a moving of the goalposts and probably the view of one side of the community.

Grassroot support means nothing. After all Brexit doesn't have grassroots support in Northern Ireland.

Trade barriers affect everyone... all of our stores are affected by it. There’s no way in hell most people support trade barriers with Great Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I am not Irish dear.

If you are from Ireland you are Irish. The demonym for Ireland is Irish. Growing up in an apartheid region might have deluded/brainwashed of that fact tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I doubt most Irish would be able to point out Laos on a map, so why would we be surprised if a lot of Asians haven't heard of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Granadino wrote: »
    I doubt most Irish would be able to point out Laos on a map, so why would we be surprised if a lot of Asians haven't heard of Ireland.

It's beside Offaly isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've met a lot of people who thought Mayo was on the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I'd say if you're from NI then you're presumably both Irish and British. I'm Scottish and British. Generally I just call myself Scottish but sometimes British if I want to annoy the missus, and if I really want to get her in a foul mood I mention that our kids are half British :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

The point of the term is to put all of the islands under one umbrella.
    I'm afraid we're no longer under the 'one umbrella' and haven't been for 100 years. While you have the Union Jack and Crown, we have the Tricolour and Harp. There's one isle called Britain and another called Ireland. Hence, the 'British and Irish Isles'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trade barriers affect everyone... all of our stores are affected by it. There’s no way in hell most people support trade barriers with Great Britain.

Yes but these are the trade barriers that were agreed to by the British Government, it was their idea in the first place and not forced upon them by the EU.

Also I think many people would rather look at the bigger picture and see less trade barriers with the EU which is a much bigger market than Britain.

I really don't see the problem with the geographical archipelago being called the British Isles. It is the name that has stuck and has been used in atlases since they were first printed. Geographical names are not made politically and come by from people referring to the geographical feature. I don't see how there can be anything political to it when two sovereign jurisdictions are in occupation of the islands.

I can see why in correspondence that the term "British Isles" cant even be used when Dublin and London are referring to the two sovereign countries. The Isle of Mann which is a crown dependency is also part of the British Isles archipelago but is not part of the UK. The Channel Isles are also a Crown dependency but not part of the British Isles archipelago. So the term British Isles can't be used either if Crown dependency are to be included or not to be included in the subject between Dublin and London.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes but these are the trade barriers that were agreed to by the British Government, it was their idea in the first place and not forced upon them by the EU.

Also I think many people would rather look at the bigger picture and see less trade barriers with the EU which is a much bigger market than Britain.

Most people wouldn’t actually. The vast majority of our produce and products come from Great Britain and our supply chains are heavily integrated with GB. This can come from food in the store, to plant seeds to not being able to order from certain companies to having to get documents sorted to take your pet on a simple trip to GB. It’s all rather daft and inane.

I see this all the time... for ex missing chicken in M&S today. Very frustrated customers. I worked in retail during the introduction and have asked staff, it’s definitely impacting most of our supermarkets and will continue to do so unless there can be a solution found. This impacts us more than the south as we have more British companies that you don’t have such as B&M, Poundstretcher, Sainsburys, Asda

Because of the rules, companies only bring in a certain amount so the shelves become empty very quickly.

The other thing is that the food sits being checked for so long that it either expires before arrival or arrives with an expiry date of 1 day.

dxibU8h.jpg

RPOWFfJ.jpg

Sourcing locally isn’t a solution. I also noticed local companies were short of food as they had to source some ingredients from GB.

It’s ridiculous to have trade barriers with a landmass of 65 million 12 miles away. But yet none with a foreign country hundreds or even over 1000 miles away that you have never or rarely trade with.

The powers that be will have to get over it and come to some sort of solution. The next thing we have is the nonsense that we in NI have to source our meds from the EU.

Well we seen how horrendous their vaccine programme is. So that ain’t good for us! I hope the government is stockpiling medicine here’s otherwise we’re going to have the same nonsense hassle with medicine that we are having with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It’s ridiculous to have trade barriers with a landmass of 65 million 12 miles away. But yet none with a foreign country hundreds or even over 1000 miles away that you have never or rarely trade with.

The checks at ports are the least disruptive option and all of this NIProtocol stuff is downstream of Tory/DUP political machinations. A disruptive British border in Ireland is unworkable and unacceptable.

GB is currently placing itself further outside the EU's regulatory ecosystem than New Zealand, which is utterly stupid. GB needs to move on this if they care about NI.

You say that but actually that’s not true, most of our produce is sourced in Northern Ireland or GB. Therefore there shouldn’t be any trade barriers with GB at all.

The EU and Ireland think they can ignore Unionist concerns, it’s not only Unionists affected we are affected. These trade barriers with GB are unsustainable in the long run. There will have to be a solution found to remedy these trade barriers for the economic and social stability of Northern Ireland.

Our traditional food and clothing can’t be sourced from Europe, it’s not our culture.

Well that is the problem being in a union with English nationalists who drown out your vote and don't really care for the problems it brings Ireland.

These same english nationalists are going to eventually end the UK anyway so get use to the hard border between Ireland and GB

It’s Northern Ireland not Ireland.. which btw supports this protocol and doesn’t help limit it through its voice in the EU.

I’m not sure how a United ireland would alter those trade barriers though, rather it would strengthen them. So that’s more of a problem.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem with the geographical archipelago being called the British Isles. It is the name that has stuck and has been used in atlases since they were first printed. Geographical names are not made politically and come by from people referring to the geographical feature. I don't see how there can be anything political to it when two sovereign jurisdictions are in occupation of the islands.

But you see the name British Isles was created by John Dee for the very reason to be political and to claim ownership of Ireland. He also called the North Atlantic all the way up to Iceland the British Sea for the same reason.

Considering the history between the two islands it can't be seen as anything but a political term. I don't understand why people are dismissive of ceasing its use when one of the two sovereign nations in its jurisdiction has a major problem with its use and actively discourages it.

No one is claiming we're not in the same group of islands. We just need a better name.

The British are not immune themselves to geographically sensitive terms and renamed the German Sea the North Sea after the World Wars.

In any case it only serves to add to confusion whether we're part of the UK and/or British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

You say that but actually that’s not true, most of our produce is sourced in Northern Ireland or GB. Therefore there shouldn’t be any trade barriers with GB at all.

The EU and Ireland think they can ignore Unionist concerns, it’s not only Unionists affected we are affected. These trade barriers with GB are unsustainable in the long run. There will have to be a solution found to remedy these trade barriers for the economic and social stability of Northern Ireland.

Our traditional food and clothing can’t be sourced from Europe, it’s not our culture.

Absolutely. The traditional unionist garb is unique and simply cannot be sourced from the EU.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Absolutely. The traditional unionist garb is unique and simply cannot be sourced from the EU.

When did I refer to unionism? Did you not read my post? Most of our supermarkets are British companies and source food from GB, or import the ingredients from further afield through GB.

It’s not the same as the south.

• Advertisement

But you see the name British Isles was created by John Dee for the very reason to be political and to claim ownership of Ireland. He also called the North Atlantic all the way up to Iceland the British Sea for the same reason.

Considering the history between the two islands it can't be seen as anything but a political term. I don't understand why people are dismissive of ceasing its use when one of the two sovereign nations in its jurisdiction has a major problem with its use and actively discourages it.

No one is claiming we're not in the same group of islands. We just need a better name.

The British are not immune themselves to geographically sensitive terms and renamed the German Sea the North Sea after the World Wars.

So what is the alternative name you have? Or is it just an attempt again of dissociating from GB yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

When did I refer to unionism? Did you not read my post? Most of our supermarkets are British companies and source food from GB, or import the ingredients from further afield through GB.

It’s not the same as the south.

Garb refers to clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Therefore there shouldn’t be any trade barriers with GB at all.

Yeah 'shouldn't be' doesn't butter any parsnips. There shouldn't be any border in Ireland at all but here we are.
    The EU and Ireland think they can ignore Unionist concerns, it’s not only Unionists affected we are affected.

GB ignored Unionist concerns. Ireland was flagging the potential problems for half a decade and we were ignored. Unionists are a minority in the north and are an insignificant minority in the border area.
    Our traditional food and clothing can’t be sourced from Europe, it’s not our culture

You want to divide the Irish nation again because you can't get your favourite shape of bagel? Dry your eyes, not happening.
    These trade barriers with GB are unsustainable in the long run.

A physical border in Ireland will be less sustainable. The Irish Sea checks are the least worst option
    There will have to be a solution found to remedy these trade barriers for the economic and social stability of Northern Ireland.

Go tell Boris Johnson.

So what is the alternative name you have? Or is it just an attempt again of dissociating from GB yet again.

Britain and Ireland
    British and Irish Isles if you're afraid of leaving out Isle Man et Al
    North Atlantic Arcepaleo

I mean it's nt exactly impossibe to resolve. If humanity can split the atom and put a man on the moon I think we can come together to create a better more appropriately name for these islands.

Britain and Ireland
    British and Irish Isles if you're afraid of leaving out Isle Man et Al
    North Atlantic Arcepaleo

I mean it's nt exactly impossibe to resolve. If humanity can split the atom and put a man on the moon I think we can come together to create a better more appropriately name for these islands.

Ok... but it shouldn’t be used as a political narrative to split the link with GB.

In any case it only serves to add to confusion whether we're part of the UK and/or British.

The word Britain comes from the Romans when they conquered Britain. The geographical name stuck. Do you infer from the naming being Britain today that Rome is still claiming dominance over the island.... of course not. The point is the archipelago is a geographical feature that will have a name. If a Welsh mathematician first coined the the name in the 1500's and it has stuck since then I dont see the problem.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I flew from Calgary to Dublin the day of the Scottish independence referendum. I handed over my Irish passport at the check in desk. The gate agent said to me I must be disappointed that I wouldn't be back in time to vote in the referendum. I thought constituent countries of the United Kingdom would be reasonably well known in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I reckon a fair few could. Laos gets loads of Irish backpackers who arrive crossing the border with Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's more sensible than having trade barriers with a jurisdiction 0 miles away.

• Advertisement

ittakestwo wrote: »
    The word Britain comes from the Romans when they conquered Britain. The geographical name stuck. Do you infer from the naming being Britain today that Rome is still claiming dominance over the island.... of course not. The point is the archipelago is a geographical feature that will have a name. If a Welsh mathematician first coined the the name in the 1500's and it has stuck since then I dont see the problem.

You don't see the problem considering all that has happened historically wise between Britain and Ireland that Ireland doesn't favour its use?

As for your point about Rome and naming Britain, why would Britain have a problem, it doesn't share the same historical baggage with Rome as Ireland does with Britain.

You're right that the islands are a geographical feature that should have a name but the term The British Isles is conceivably the worst name you could call the islands. It infers ownership and has historical weight no matter how many times someone says its only a geographical term.

As I mentioned previously it only adds to confusion about Ireland and Irish people. For instance, the nationality of someone from the UK is British, the name of the islands is The British Isles, therefore many people in Britain and further afield have a real difficulty in distinguishing if Irish people are British or not.

Advertisement